Mid-sold pony PLEASE HELP!

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
Sorry that you've had to go through this OP.
However, at this point, I'd stop delaying things by going back and forth about whether the seller should refund or not. Chalk it up and just start the process with the vet to find out what is wrong. It's not fair for the pony to remain lame while you wonder if you can get your money back.
Pony is field sound, quite happy, well in herself, eating, drinking, making new friends, loved. I only was told that it’s an issue that needs further investigation two days ago. The seller had her for three months at least, working her regularly.

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
Well quite! How can *this* pony have been mis-sold when the vendor disclosed the failed vetting?

I am surprised that there isn't a thread ' What should I do about the buyer who wants to return the pony I sold for a refund, even though I said it had just failed a vetting at the viewing?' I'm pretty sure most answers would be 'tell her to jog on!'
Thanks for that Pearlsasinger. You really are so empathetic. I have waited 35years to be able to afford a horse of my very own. My dad died and left me a bit of money which I’ve used to buy a one and only forever horse for me and my daughters to love. Again I state, I wouldn’t have bought a pony if I’d been told that she had failed the vetting due to being lame. You make it sound like they led a limping pony up to me and said ‘this horse is lame do you want to buy it?’ The pony was presented to me as suitable for our needs. Was demonstrated as riding away, jumping, polework, hacking. Told her we intended to take her to PC. Was told no point in vetting as she had been vetted that week but only failed due to being STIFF DUE TO BEING BROUGHT BACK INTO WORK. I am stupid yes and trusted that was the truth. Five days later told pony is lame and can’t be ridden. She has been sold not fit for purpose. I’ve consulted an equine solicitor who says I have a case, the seller may be considered a dealer in which case I would have more rights.

SO1

Visit site
I don't think they can really say it is a pre existing long term condition until you have a diagnosis.

The muscle wastage is obviously so subtle the vet did not notice it as first they came when they just suggested rest and pain relief and I presume they also did not notice the swelling on the hock when they can to see her the first time otherwise they would not be checking for abscess.

If the pony has been turned out on grass and not worked for a while is she overweight, has she been checked for laminitis. The stiffness could have been the start of laminitis.

Does she have field mates could she have got kicked or injured?

The vet has said it’s definitely not an abscess, there is no heat in her leg but slight swelling around her hock joint. They can’t diagnose until they do nerve blocks to determine exactly where the problem is then a scan or X-ray.
We’ll both my instructor and vet have said she’s too lame to be worked or ridden so to me that’s pretty bad.
If I cannot return her then of course I’ll get it properly diagnosed and treated. She’s getting lots of attention and love, I have three pony mad girls, and being well cared for.

SO1

Visit site
I would not be surprised if the pony has been injured due to being bought back into work too quickly if they have said she is unfit and stiff due to being out of work yet have been demonstrating jumping and doing pole work with her during viewings.

I thought you said she was unfit yet you also mention they have been riding her regularly for three months before purchase. This all sounds very strange to me.

Thanks for that Pearlsasinger. You really are so empathetic. I have waited 35years to be able to afford a horse of my very own. My dad died and left me a bit of money which I’ve used to buy a one and only forever horse for me and my daughters to love. Again I state, I wouldn’t have bought a pony if I’d been told that she had failed the vetting due to being lame. You make it sound like they led a limping pony up to me and said ‘this horse is lame do you want to buy it?’ The pony was presented to me as suitable for our needs. Was demonstrated as riding away, jumping, polework, hacking. Told her we intended to take her to PC. Was told no point in vetting as she had been vetted that week but only failed due to being STIFF DUE TO BEING BROUGHT BACK INTO WORK. I am stupid yes and trusted that was the truth. Five days later told pony is lame and can’t be ridden. She has been sold not fit for purpose. I’ve consulted an equine solicitor who says I have a case, the seller may be considered a dealer in which case I would have more rights.

GrassChop

Visit site
Pony is field sound, quite happy, well in herself, eating, drinking, making new friends, loved. I only was told that it’s an issue that needs further investigation two days ago. The seller had her for three months at least, working her regularly.

Forgive me but I am really confused! If she has been worked regularly for three months by the seller, why were you sold her as unfit? Surely she would be relatively fit with being in regular work for that time.
You also just said her hock is swollen and is "pretty bad" so I can't see how she would be field sound. It must be causing her some kind of pain if it's as bad as you say and especially if it's caused muscle wastage.

ETA: You say you were told she was stiff being brought back into work too but that doesn't add up with the last comment. This is quite a confusing timeline.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site

But you were told the pony had failed a vetting, which is usually where you arrange your own vetting, unless you actually have access to the vet that assessed the pony's records, which you didn't have, but even then that vetting is only assessing the pony on that day for the purpose it was being bought for.
There will be many ponies this summer that will be doing PC that probably would not pass a full vetting, but could be sold as suitable for PC.
I do not want to be unkind but really asking your friends, instructor's opinion after you have bought it is the wrong way round, (and I hate the friends that often turn up) and not paying for a vetting considering the purchase price is a modest amount, is false economy.

TheMule

Visit site
I don’t think
The vet has said it’s definitely not an abscess, there is no heat in her leg but slight swelling around her hock joint. They can’t diagnose until they do nerve blocks to determine exactly where the problem is then a scan or X-ray.
We’ll both my instructor and vet have said she’s too lame to be worked or ridden so to me that’s pretty bad.
If I cannot return her then of course I’ll get it properly diagnosed and treated. She’s getting lots of attention and love, I have three pony mad girls, and being well cared for.

The pony doesn’t need ‘lots of attention and love’. It needs painkillers and a lameness investigation

luckyoldme

Visit site
Aw come on folk ease up.a bit.

The op has been a bit too trusting and didn't realise what a minefield it is out there.
Op.its obvious you have people around you now who can help. It sounds like the pony has landed on her hoofs with you and I for one hope you get the outcome you deserve.
I'm sorry this has happened to.you but if it's any consolation all said and done if I had my time again I would buy the exact same horse again.

paddy555

Visit site
How can I provide evidence about a vetting that a person I don’t know or have contact details for had done? How can I provide evidence what the vet told the seller in a conversation that I wasn’t present at?
The seller told me precisely what I’ve stated on here, that she failed the vetting due to a ‘slightly stiff leg probably caused by being brought back into work after being left in a field’ I only have her word for it.
My vet hasn’t diagnosed exactly what’s causing the lameness without further tests but is confident it’s been a long term issue because of muscle wastage in her hind quarters. I don’t know what else I can say!

that's the problem you don't have the evidence. Without it I don't see how you can come to any conclusion about what the seller told you.

This situation is starting not to add up. Was the pony being worked before or not? It is difficult to see why you are willing to spend money on a lawyer yet unwilling to spend it on a vet which could have prevented the purchase in the first place.
This seems to be a choice of 2 things. Firstly someone who bought a pony, failed to take care to do the necessary checks beforehand and who is now unwilling to accept responsibility for that as it has all gone wrong and wants someone to blame.

Alternatively someone with too much time on their hands who is either actually the seller or a troll looking for amusement.

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
I think we all have stories of people who have missold ponies/horses and lied when selling, and it's obviously both morally and legally wrong.

But we can't know this is the case with this seller, and coming out to the vet appointment after purchase especially is hugely decent of them. I can't think of anyone I know of who has missold a horse who would do that.

Given OP now can't get their own story straight, I'm becoming more sceptical of them.

That said, we can never know who's right and who's wrong, and luckily, it's not for us to determine!
I’m sorry, can’t get my story straight?! I’ve only told the facts all along. At what point have I not been straight? Hugely offensive.

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
of course it doesn't. It may however stop you buying it in the first place and avoiding a lot of trouble and expense. :)
Thanks for that. Please see my opening info where I say that I am hugely regretful about buying this pony, my family and I are devastated, my little girls are heartbroken and I don’t need telling that I am really stupid, naive and too trustful. What I’m asking for is advice as to where I stand now. I bought the pony on the information I was given, whether I should have got her vetted or not is by the by now, I can’t go back in time, it is fact. Here we are, this is the situation. This whole thread has turned into a ‘she’s an idiot, should have got the Pony vetted’ attack on me. Yes I know that already, stop berating me, I’m doing that to myself enough as it is. I’ve been told I’m as bad as a dodgy dealer myself, told that if I pursue this, people hope I don’t win. All I was doing was trying to buy a average, nice natured Pony for my girls ??????????

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I haven't taken a dislike to you personally, I don't know you.

I think you are naive in the extreme and nowhere near experienced enough to even consider buying a horse without good professional advice. I am, however, appalled that you are claiming that you have been mis-sold this pony by when your own admission you very clearly have not.
You obviously do not understand the first thing about bringing an unfit pony back into work and your RI doesn't sound to have much more idea even if she can recognise a lame horse. A pony that has been out of work for long enough to become unfit should NOT be schooling but should be walking in straight lines (hacking) up and down hills to get back some fitness before introducing anything more challenging back into its regime. Traditionally horses that have been turned away for a break (not illness) e.g. hunters would have 6 weeks walking. The reason for this is that it is easy to lame a horse by doing too much too soon. It really isn't like buying a new bike and getting straight on it.

I feel extremely sorry for the poor pony in all this. It has been badly let down by all the humans, including the seller, in this story.

Oooh, I have kept out of this as I felt OP was being inundated with people saying she was naive, which I am sure she is by now aware of, but this I have to comment. (ETA- cross posted with OP, above!)

I have given up teaching/coaching now, but I feel equipped to say that I think you are casting aspersions on a professional trainer unnecessarily. When I was teaching, it would be common sense for a client to ask for an early lesson with a new horse, to head off any problems and get a plan of action. I have given lessons to horses who are unfit, who are stiff, who are lame.

Before you jump down my throat, the stiff and lame ones have been seen, assessed and re-routed to the vet! Often, the vet would diagnose, treat, the horse would soon be back for advice on therapeutic riding, and yes, hacking in straight lines would be part of that. Some horses benefitted from being straightened. Some owners were taught to long rein. Some were taught how to set poles out to strengthen. Often a vet/physio/both would recommend pole work but not then actually show the owner what to do. The unfit horses were assessed and the owner given a fittening plan. Yes, walk work would be the basis.

In the case of a new pony, with relatively inexperienced owners, a trot would form part of that lesson, for their safety to ensure they could go and then woah. I would need to see they were safe to send out onto the road. In a healthy pony, even an unfit one, a couple of laps at trot wouldn't harm it. And this is from me, who walked Rigsby out in hand for months as he had *issues* when I bought him as well as just finishing box rest. I don't think there are many people more careful than me, but even I had school work before I ventured out under saddle on a strange horse. Even though that was mostly 10 minutes at walk, for weeks; I also did one 20m circle at trot before I inflicted us upon the world at large under saddle. Just to ensure we were safe.

OP and new pony showed up for a first lesson. It was assessed and swiftly seen to be lame. The lesson ceased and the instructor re-routed the pony to the vet. I can't see how you can say that the instructor didn't have much idea on this information.

Probably to your horror, I taught a client with an aged cob who was sound on one rein, not quite on the other. vet diagnosed general stiffness through age and wear and tear. I think he was injected in his hocks, but may be wrong (it was a while ago now). The owner generally wanted to walk-hack but the pony was a little sharp for her to just go do that. We did regular lessons, very little on the stiff rein, more on the sound rein. Obviously the pony had different musculature. My aim was to get them onto the same page, so they could go gentle hacking, musculature was secondary, safety and a route to progress for the long term was paramount. Gradually, he strengthened, and the not quite right side became as sound as a bell. The pony went from rude and sharp to educated and kind. 100% sound, because we didn't over do what the pony found difficult. I know what the pony *should* have been doing in an ideal world, but this owner wasn't confident to go straight out hacking, nor would it have been safe. So, we worked with what it could do, half an hour, mainly at walk, learning the correct responses and becoming stronger.

OP, FWIW, that pony became 100% sound, ended up doing lateral work, jumping, hunt rides and and hunting. As well as a lot of hacking. This is years ago, and the veteran pony is still sound and both loving their riding.

To say that yours didn't look lame in walk suggests that he isn't crippled. I would pay for him to go for a full workup in a vet hospital, it may take more than one day as he may well be lame on more than one leg, and they can only do one leg at a time. Be prepared for the workup to include nerve blocks and imagery, scans or X rays. Be warned, the insurance won't cover this as the vet says it is a pre-existing issue, plus it was within a week of ownership. Do tell the vet this, as it will often influence what they do.
I am stupid yes and trusted that was the truth. Five days later told pony is lame and can’t be ridden. She has been sold not fit for purpose. I’ve consulted an equine solicitor who says I have a case, the seller may be considered a dealer in which case I would have more rights.

If the pony was sold by a dealer, then yes, you have more rights. However, if the pony was sold by a private individual, I would write it off and concentrate on the vets investigations. Not fit for purpose only applies to dealers. A private individual only has to tell the truth, as they believe it, when asked. They did tell you that, as far as you can prove.

Last edited:

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
I don't think they can really say it is a pre existing long term condition until you have a diagnosis.

The muscle wastage is obviously so subtle the vet did not notice it as first they came when they just suggested rest and pain relief and I presume they also did not notice the swelling on the hock when they can to see her the first time otherwise they would not be checking for abscess.

If the pony has been turned out on grass and not worked for a while is she overweight, has she been checked for laminitis. The stiffness could have been the start of laminitis.

Does she have field mates could she have got kicked or injured?
She is in a field on her own but with lots of other neighbouring horses that she can see and interact with. She lives out as she hates the stable, the other horses are brought in during the day apart from a couple and they have a foal in with them so I can’t put her in there. She is next to them though.
I can only go off what the vet has told me, I don’t feel qualified to question her. She ruled out laminitis and abscess. The muscle wastage and swelling are subtle ??‍♀️If I need further tests to show it’s a long standing issue then of course I’ll get them done.

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
that's the problem you don't have the evidence. Without it I don't see how you can come to any conclusion about what the seller told you.

This situation is starting not to add up. Was the pony being worked before or not? It is difficult to see why you are willing to spend money on a lawyer yet unwilling to spend it on a vet which could have prevented the purchase in the first place.
This seems to be a choice of 2 things. Firstly someone who bought a pony, failed to take care to do the necessary checks beforehand and who is now unwilling to accept responsibility for that as it has all gone wrong and wants someone to blame.

Alternatively someone with too much time on their hands who is either actually the seller or a troll looking for amusement.
I’m now being accused of being a troll. This really is hurtful. I’m here being completely honest. How am I responsible for the Pony being lame, I’ve had her for two weeks. I’ve come to the conclusions I have based on what the seller told me. I’ve found myself in an awful situation and have just come on here for advice as to where I stand and have been completely berated for being an idiot when I said in my first post, I already know that.

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
I’m now being accused of being a troll. This really is hurtful. I’m here being completely honest. How am I responsible for the Pony being lame, I’ve had her for two weeks. I’ve come to the conclusions I have based on what the seller told me. I’ve found myself in an awful situation and have just come on here for advice as to where I stand and have been completely berated for being an idiot when I said in my first post, I already know that.
I can only say what the seller told me as fact. She was broken as a four year old, not done much with. They bought her as a project in April, have been working on her since and then presenting viewings. Sold as having potential but unfit and green. I can’t comment much more about this because it was before I actually owned her and this is what I was told!

Visit site
Speaking as someone who’s 2 years and tens of thousands of pounds into a civil court action ... it ain’t worth it.

Get a firm diagnosis from your vet and start any recommended treatment.

When you’ve got the diagnosis tell the seller and, if she should/could have known about the condition, ask her for a return or partial refund.

If she declines, thank her for her time and move on with your pony’s treatment.

I know it sucks, but a civil court action sucks worse. Life is hard but at least in paying for vets bills you’re trying to help an animal have a better life, not chucking money at solicitors.

4kids2dogs1pony

Visit site
Well, if the pony wasn't that bad (as evidenced by the video and neither you nor your friends riding her and not noticing anything amiss) she might have done something whilst in your care?
That’s why the vet gave her a weeks rest on Bute to see if there was any improvement but there was none. ??‍♀️ I can only go off what the vet has told me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I feel like I should perhaps point out that not having a vetting has no bearing on returning a horse as not fit for purpose.
But that only counts if they are a dealer, private seller- 'not as described'

The 3 months of being brought back into work makes the 'stiff as coming back into work' comment even weirder. I presumed we were talking weeks not months.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The seller told me precisely what I’ve stated on here, that she failed the vetting due to a ‘slightly stiff leg probably caused by being brought back into work after being left in a field’

The seller had her for three months at least, working her regularly.

If you knew about the work before you bought her, then I don't see how you can win this in court (though with courts nothing is guaranteed! ).

You'd be best saving your energy to treat the pony. I hope it's a simple thing like hock arthritis and can be treated easily and give you the pony you thought you'd bought.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
How am I responsible for the Pony being lame, I’ve had her for two weeks.
Because one would assume the pony wasn’t lame before you got it otherwise you wouldn’t have bought it? Ergo pony has become lame since being in your care. It might help to rewrite the timeline in one go as it’s very confusing as to how many times it has been ridden, what they’ve done, how fit they were when you bought them etc.

Posts on here can come across a bit sharp but I’ve found people do genuinely want to help and there is a lot of experience on here and I think the fact your story is a bit muddled (pony sold as unfit yet was shown jumping, pole work etc) isn’t helping.

to answer your op, I don’t think returning to seller is a viable option (and I have previously done this). I would concentrate on getting to the bottom of this lameness and get a rehab/fitness plan formulated between you, vet, physio and instructor.

My pony came over from Ireland unfit and green. I had one lesson a week in a very big school so even circles weren’t too taxing, then hacked in straight lines, up and down hills, gentle lateral work on straight paths. Took me maybe 3 months to build up to canter in the school.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I’ve been ........ told that if I pursue this, people hope I don’t win.

Yes I said that and I'm sorry it makes you feel worse.

But can you see how this makes anyone who is selling a horse fearful that they are going to end up with a buyer threatening to sue them even when they have told the complete truth about a horse?

You knowingly bought a lame pony who you were told had failed a vetting. You're not the first and you won't be the last to make this kind of mistake. Please just suck it up and get the pony treated.

paddy555

Visit site

people have come up with advice yet you simply don't accept it and argue. Just about everyone has reached the same conclusions.

If the seller was a private individual there seems no way to prove they knew about long term problems. No way of saying they failed to disclose and in fact they did disclose the earlier vetting and stiffness.

One thing that does come to mind if the seller was less than honest is that they disclosed the failed vetting and stiffness on the basis that if there was any comeback they would be covered. They may not have wanted you to vet as they knew there was a long list on the vetting crime sheet.

The only thing you can do now is get the pony thoroughly vetted for the problem and see where you go from here. Give your approximate location and someone will come up with a suitable equine vet and physio. Start and make progress.

this is not a legal forum. If you want specialist legal advice and to pursue this you will have to pay a lawyer. The money spent would go a long way to establishing the ponies problem.

why did I wonder if you were a troll? because all you seem to want to do is argue and sometimes the story seems to change a bit.

If you want to do something productive then start doing some research on the seller and the pony. See if you can get sufficient background info to suggest they are a dealer. Same with the pony. Look at the sellers kids, often show results are on the net. Try and get a true picture of where the pony has come from. Does it all add up? is it likely this is just horsey mum with several ponies and kids now grown up who probably doesn't know all that much about horse lameness. Or are they in fact a dealer, you can trace other sales, adverts, phone no's etc. and it becomes more questionable.
Your best chance ATM seems to be able to prove this was a dealer. Have a look at the DD pages on FB. See if you can locate them.
If the lady visited when your vet first came it suggests they are not too far away. Start asking around.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The thing that strikes me is that you got what could be a great pony for a bargain price.

This is how some people buy horses. They look for something at a good price which is out of condition, they can fitten up and train the horse then sell for a profit. They may have done exactly the same thing you did OP. Most of these people have a lot of experience so will trust their own instincts and not get a vetting (because it cuts into their profit margin)

OP you are in this bracket now but without the experience. You're going to have to just face up to the situation and be the owner the pony needs. Get a full workup from a vet. I suspect you will have a lot of rehab and fitness work ahead of you to get this pony into good condition. You have time to get this started this year, make some progress over winter and have a lovely pony for next summer.

You are going to need a lot of support and advice from those around you but by this time next year I hope the pony has become the one you hoped it would be.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I would still like to know exactly when the two 'experienced' riders rode her after pony was brought home as this now also seems to have inexplicably disappeared from the background story. For my foggy old brain it is all now too much to try and sift through to find the actual facts.

So no more comments from me as I just cannot bring myself to write anything worth adding to the growing list of varying 'facts' and I cannot for one moment respond further to your original request for help. I think you have been given that and more by people willing to take the time to respond, but seemingly not all the answers you want to hear.

OP I hope for ponies sake it will receive a full lameness workup and any vet's advice based on that is followed carefully and not influenced by anything said by unknown internet numpties (myself included in that description BTW ;) ) Hopefully, regardless of who said what and all the rest of the varying time lines put forward, the pony will come out of all this in much better shape and your children will have the pony they wanted.

GrassChop

Visit site
I'm sorry you are upset but you must understand that some of the things you have said are quite contradicting and we are all just trying to establish the exact timeline so that we can give you the best advice as you requested.

- Sold sound and unfit; However you then said pony had been in regular work for 3 months. Please clarify this.
- You said pony was lame within a couple of days but you hacked her twice in walk and then had the start of a lesson where you discovered she was lame on the 5th day after spending the first couple settling. When did your two friends ride her?
- You also said "it was only obvious to my instructor on the ground when we had our first schooling lesson and were pushing her a bit harder than I had previously." but a couple of posts later you said "I was completely up for doing just that until my instructor stopped my very first schooling lesson ten minutes in because she noticed she was lame from the ground." and "We had just warmed up and were starting trot work when my experienced instructor told me to pull up as we couldn’t continue due to her being lame." on another post.

This is all quite important to know to see if the seller might be at fault or not. I can't remember if you said what stage vetting she had too as this would be quite a vital part to know if she was monitored before and after exercise or if it was just a 2 stage.

In my mind, I can't see how or why the seller would say she has been in regular work for 3 months but managed to convince you that she failed the vetting due to stiffness coming back into work. When was the vetting done?

SO1

Visit site
I think OP the problem is the story is not consistent so it confusing for people. I do have every sympathy for you as my pony is currently on box rest due to an injury and I can understand the concerns about cost of treatment and the frustrations of not being able to ride. I have had my pony 14 years now though so his problem is nothing to do with being misled.

From what you saying this what I think the situation is.

1. You went to view the pony. They demonstrated the pony and showed you it doing jumping, pole work and hacking. They also showed you a video of their son riding. At no point during this process did you notice any problems with the soundness of the pony. They told you they had the pony 3 months and had been riding it regularly but it had failed a rest vetting due to having a stiff leg due to being bought back into work after being turned away prior to them to purchasing the pony. They had told the stiff leg was not a problem and due to unfitness and the pony would fine for PC. Pony could have been on bute or something else but as no bloods and vetting you have no proof either way. You had the option to get pony vetted to confirm that possible stiff leg was not going to be a problem. You decided not to.
2. You bring the pony home it goes lame. Vet comes gives a quick look and does immediately see anything obvious as to why it is lame does not notice the muscle wastage or the swelling in the hock area suggests rest pony for week with bite and if no better more investigations required. Comes back notices the muscle wastage and swelling near hock cannot say what the exact problem but suggests it is a long term issue. The seller comes along to see what the vet says. Very wise of them if they think they may be sued as then know exactly what the vet has said.

Often dealers or people looking to make a quick buck from project horses will buy horses that are out of work and needing reschooling or backing and turn them round really quickly which involves working them intensively which does put them at risk of injury if they are unfit and or weak.

You took a risk buying a pony knowing it would fail the vet and that owners had a for only 3 months. A 12 year pony club pony suitable for mum and children to ride that it is fit and sound would normally cost about £6000 but you only paid £3000. The pony was cheap for a reason because it would not pass a vetting and it has been out of work and you have no history for it prior to what has happened over the last 3 months.

You may have some comeback if the person who sold it too could be identified as a dealer and if they lied about the failed vetting and the pony was failed not because it was stiff but because it was lame or the vet felt the stiffness was something that may turn into lameness. It would be useful if from the passport you can contact previous owners to see why they sold especially the one that sold the pony 3 months.

The only positive news is that vet did not say the pony is not fixable so depending on what the problem is you may still have a useful pony at the end of the process and the money you have saved by not purchasing a more expensive pony that would pass a vetting and therefore was a less risky buy could be spent on vet bills.

When you take a risk something can go wrong but it could have worked out and you could have had 6000 pony for 3000 or you could have something go wrong like this. But to be fair even and fit healthy pony that passes a vetting can still get injured in the first few weeks of ownership Buying any horse is a gamble.

Hopefully your solicitor won't give you false hope the solicitor bills can soon add up unless it is a no win no fee solicitor. You will need to have clear story audit trail for the solicitor as otherwise they will get confused like people on here and not be able to give good advice.

Last edited:

MissTyc

Visit site
& Deep Breath.

There have been some very sensible an helpful posts on this 5th page of the thread (!) .. OP, most things are fixable. You seem to like this mare, and that's a good start. You may well be stuck with her, so I'm going to work on that scenario for a moment.

First: turn out in a small paddock (no gallop space, but not stuck standing in box) for another week or two and re-assess.
-If some improvement, I would start a rehab plan i.e. walking out in hand/long lines (or ridden if you have a tiny rider), building up time, surfaces, then adding in trotwork, etc.
-If no improvement, I would call several several clinics and get quotes for an uninsured lameness workup, and then take her to one of them, give them a spending limit, and hope they can diagnose the problem quickly.

As an aside, I am surprised your vet immediately rejected abscess idea although I realise there was some hock swelling so that seems a good place to start investigation. I have spent £3000 (Petplan, thank you!) on diagnosing a tricky abscess - they present in all manner of ways and shouldn't be automatically rejected. What is her foot conformation like? My mare had suspected kissing sping/pelvis damage/"something up high" that turned out to be sub-solar abscess in right hind. But in any case, nerve blocks should help isolate the problem, and the key is to have a good vet working on it from the start - you want the type of experienced vet who looks at the horse trotting up and goes ahhhhh let's scan the medial collaterals eh!