my clearly deformed dear little git;)

2012-03-12122903.jpg

lollyjoyfeb2012066.jpg

2012-01-28140301.jpg

2012-01-28133537.jpg

Awwww Ugg boots!!!

shetlandponylover

Visit site
My little girl is 37" she is absolutely perfect for my little girl <3 she has a heart of gold and will let my 19month old daughter lead her around the field and if she falls over, honey (pony) will just stop wait for my daughter to get up and go for walkies again. My daughter goes for little plods on her (hopefully when my daughter is older will do l/r and first ridden) honey is fantastic and gives me such enjoyment. X
F53CF306-1345-4B98-9284-00CD4D0119DC-862-0000006A74F4C26D_zpsae13e8d4.jpg

With my daughter
1A3C4AFA-392D-4077-99B1-28ABC7D7C238-862-0000006A398E4314_zpscbc11b6d.jpg

EE2B576F-693E-4BC9-A59A-D49DC191A4FA-862-0000006A5B04E1FD_zps8466531f.jpg

60F477A1-1F61-457B-9C7F-63DC4D327199-982-000001123C58DEE6_zpsa8d7c70e.jpg

Please excuse the yetti look lol such a thick winter coat xx

mandwhy

Visit site
Oh my goodness cute overload! I think they are great, I love small ponies, smaller the better. I have a ten hand sec A on loan, what the heck am I going to do with her? Nowt probably!

SpruceRI

Visit site
My miniature shetland has done a sterling job as a companion over the years which is what I bought him for.

He has been ridden by various friends' kids in the past, but he didn't really enjoy it. Because most very small children can only do slow stuff and Inks likes going fast!!

What he's absolutely great at though, is as a 'hacking partner' for his best mate who's a little nervous at times. Inka will boldly go where no one else will go (basically because he's so bloomin' nosey!!), so he's 'chief flusher' out in the woods as he's not scared of flapping pheasants or deer like his girl friend. He's very well behaved on the lead rein and off.

He absolutely loves coming on our jaunts, and is a lot of fun.

Because he's so small (8.2hh) he's easy to manage. You just grab some fluff and wrestle! He's not the kicky, bitey sort either. The nicest thing about him is that he's eternally cheerful. Even though he's riddled with horrible melanomas.

DSCF0159.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Years ago we kept one in livery for a girl who was otherwise afraid of normal sized horses. I used to keep it exercised for her by driving him - and what fun he was to drive! He was easy to keep, easy to drive, easy to take places. He cost hardly anything at all -- and when I eventually get too old / rickety to ride, I will probably take up driving again - and will likely do so on one of these deformed miserable gits :D

NeverSayNever

Visit site
See of I wanted a littley as a companion for my 16hh cob would I better off with a good size standard...
Want something easy to do, laid back and cheap to keep... And small enough for a small stable...

How do people find their minis and 'normals' get on?

mine gets on great with my mare, who is a Sec d, pushing 14.3hh. :) My mare can be a bolshy cowbag but for some reason, not with the littley. That said, the mini i good at keeping out of her way too.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Thanks for all the pictures.

You have all made me revise my thinking as you have shown that these ponies have a job to do and are not just bought for the "cute" factor.

I suppose what prompted the thread is the quite regular site of a very small pony left in a field, uncared for, mane/tail all knotted up, feet in a mess ect.
And then you see all the adverts and you wonder if that's whats going to happen to them if they are bought on a whim as they are so "cute".
It does seem to be easier for people to forget that it is a pony and needs to be looked after.

mandwhy

Visit site
Oh that makes me sad, I'm sure I could fit a couple in the boot of my hatchback, bring them all to me so I can look at their fluffiness and brush them and buy tiny rugs!

I just love seeing them have grown up horsey clips with their immense fluff!

georgie256

Visit site
I don't have a tiny minature but a small shetland, and he is here and well looked after purely because he is adorable. He loves his life!

Big-Brother

Visit site
See of I wanted a littley as a companion for my 16hh cob would I better off with a good size standard...
Want something easy to do, laid back and cheap to keep... And small enough for a small stable...

How do people find their minis and 'normals' get on?

My mare 16.1 ID/ISH adores my mini gelding, she tends to 'mother' him. They do look funny together when I hack out with my son it really is a case of little and large.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My friend can no longer ride as she has a terrible back and bad knees, she used to love showing her horses so she bought two shetlands, one standard and one minature both piebald to show in hand, she may look for a jockey for some ridden classes when they are old enough,they do really well in hand she does all the shetland shows and loves it.

Tomdickanharry

New User
Visit site
I am thinking of joining the MHCGB and I believe you show your ponies in the American way, I read that when you are in the line up...head to toe that the judge checks the horses under carriage and the horses mouth, we are new to the mini's and do not want to look silly...could some advise if this is true and what is the judge actually looking for. Thank you

supaspot

Visit site
a judge will look for exactly the same thing as they do in any other class, conformation is conformation whatever the breed , they will check teeth also to make sure the have an even bite , if conformation is equal the judge will place minis with longer necks and legs higher than short heavy types

2501977_orig.jpg

2865099_orig.jpg

8707878.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Been away from the horse world for years, can't get my head around the increase in miniatures.

What are they for?
Can they be ridden?
What do people do with them?

Saw an advert for "miniature Shetlands" does that mean an ordinary Shetland that is now talked about as being miniature?
Or is it some other abomination?
Why would you want to breed a smaller Shetland?

Don't get it at all, if people want a pony the size of a dog to keep as a pet, get a dog.:confused:

You are right, they are completely useless. :D Can't think why anyone would want them at all.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
My little one doing her best mule impression :D

mail

(Please vote for her on the horse show-https://thehorseshow.horseandhound.co.uk/mountain-moorland/bn2rL#skip-to-horse-box)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Been away from the horse world for years, can't get my head around the increase in miniatures.

What are they for?
Can they be ridden?
What do people do with them?

Saw an advert for "miniature Shetlands" does that mean an ordinary Shetland that is now talked about as being miniature?
Or is it some other abomination?
Why would you want to breed a smaller Shetland?

Don't get it at all, if people want a pony the size of a dog to keep as a pet, get a dog.:confused:

I felt exactly the same as you, just couldn't get why anybody would want one. Year before last whilst on holiday in West Wales where we go every year and knew the farm bred miniatures but had never bothered to look at them, I was walking my dogs through the farm fields and a little chestnut filly left her mum and came running over to check out the intruders. She did that every day of the holiday by the time we were coming home I had spoken to the breeder and agreed to buy her when she was weaned. Believe me no one was more surprised than me.:D She arrived with me in October 2011 and just two weeks later we had also bought her mum as my big horses didn't like her very much. Last summer back on holidays and there was this little palamino filly, half sister to my little one and just couldn't resist so now have three. Until you have one it's very difficult to explain how wonderful they are. I walk mine and the rising two year old loves to jump so I put some up for her and she will just jump them of her own accord. They are little stars and I will never be without a miniature again. Don't knock them until you have one and I guarantee you will adore them for ever more.:)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a Shetland. He's worth double his weight in gold too me as he is my TB's "always there" companion. He has the most hideous separation anxiety too the extent i'e resigned myself to keeping him forever as the only two times he's gone to anyone else he gets sent back as dangerous. With his pony he's dope on a rope! (although could be taken away too be ridden which is weird but brilliant!)

catkin

Visit site
We have a shetland who stands 36 inches (and a bit) on her tippytoes.

She most certainly has a job - a very important and under-valued job - that of companion to our sensitive and otherworldy Welsh D. She is Super-Nanny.

We always treat her like a horse, and she repays us a hundred-fold.

Bobbly

Visit site
This is why we have them.... just to sit and cuddle in the garden. We often let them on the lawn for a munch, when it's dry enough not to cause little holes! Both are under 30", the brown one is half American bred with some illustrious breeding and the other has a smidge of shetland, both are reg with the BMHS.