Money saving tips!

Not sure if anyone's already said this, but instead of buying Equi-pings, etc, you can you the orange baling twine that comes of the haybales.

That's my thrifty tip of the day :D

mil1212

Toilet brushes to clean buckets with. I got a really cheap one from ikea years ago and its still going strong, perfect shape to clean buckets, much better than expensive bucket brushes

Highlands

I have a bulk bin of feed delivered from chestnuts horse feeds, lasts for ages, vermin proof and they come and bring me another when needed but saves me fortune in diesel and time.

Poundland for chamois leather, car washing mitts and of course wipes, shampoo etc. leather wipes for boots.

Buy out of season stuff e.g fly rugs or turnouts in either oct to feb for fly and around now for turnouts as last years colours will be out ( my horses fail to care!)

Get a snipe account for eBay

Local tack sale, buy be nice alters, good quality brand names, sell on either on preloved or Facebook but if you need to declare it!

Got lovely jacket off eBay designer browbands never went, contact person and had private sale!

When other people throw rugs away, recycle them for reparing your own rugs. Buckles, surcingles, leg straps and even the material from the rug itself can be used or..... repair it and sell it!

If you like cleaning tack, advertise and make some money.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
When other people throw rugs away, recycle them for reparing your own rugs. Buckles, surcingles, leg straps and even the material from the rug itself can be used or..... repair it and sell it!
I'm officially a tramp! A ripped rug had been in the field for two years: I dragged it out of the ground and cut off all the buckles and surcingles. They're a blooming fortune on eBay! The material alone costs pounds for a couple of inches! :eek:

Went to the stud where my coach trains horses one day. Pile of about a hundred 'ruined' rugs , many perfectly repairable, sitting rotting in a shed. My mum and I are trying to figure out a way to steal them, repair them and give my horse an entire new wardrobe;)

Use wood pellets for bedding, especially if can afford to buy in bulk. They are so easy to use and safe massively on time spent mucking out and general cost of bedding. Can't reccomend them enough!

Go into your local pub and ask if they have any carrot peelings they can give you. Even small pubs usually peel a few carrots for their Sunday roasts and they make a great free treat. They also may have big plastic containers with a handle used to store cooking oil in, they take a bit of time to wash out properly but make excellent water containers.

If you are fortunate to live near a sail makers, ask them if they have any scraps that they can give you to repair rugs with. The ones close to me were a bit hesitant at first, but once I had explained what I wanted them for they gave me full use of their bin!

beth21

Don't know if it's been said but Ebay is great for buying second hand rugs.

I bought three hardly worn rugs in great condition for the price one rug would have cost!

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
i've never come across bailing twine that doesnt break.
Something I've noticed a lot of people overlooking is that it is neccesary to thin out the baler twine into smaller strands before using it. At my loan pony's yard they use the thickest baler twine I've ever seen and it drives me nuts! When I'm bored I'll usually stand my one of the tie rings and break stands of it in an attempt to thin it out:eek:!