Money saving tips!

Ridingondreams

Visit site
Not sure if anyone's already said this, but instead of buying Equi-pings, etc, you can you the orange baling twine that comes of the haybales.

That's my thrifty tip of the day :D

mil1212

Visit site
Toilet brushes to clean buckets with. I got a really cheap one from ikea years ago and its still going strong, perfect shape to clean buckets, much better than expensive bucket brushes

Highlands

Visit site
I have a bulk bin of feed delivered from chestnuts horse feeds, lasts for ages, vermin proof and they come and bring me another when needed but saves me fortune in diesel and time.

Poundland for chamois leather, car washing mitts and of course wipes, shampoo etc. leather wipes for boots.

Buy out of season stuff e.g fly rugs or turnouts in either oct to feb for fly and around now for turnouts as last years colours will be out ( my horses fail to care!)

Get a snipe account for eBay

Local tack sale, buy be nice alters, good quality brand names, sell on either on preloved or Facebook but if you need to declare it!

Got lovely jacket off eBay designer browbands never went, contact person and had private sale!

micramadam

Visit site
When other people throw rugs away, recycle them for reparing your own rugs. Buckles, surcingles, leg straps and even the material from the rug itself can be used or..... repair it and sell it!

If you like cleaning tack, advertise and make some money.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
When other people throw rugs away, recycle them for reparing your own rugs. Buckles, surcingles, leg straps and even the material from the rug itself can be used or..... repair it and sell it!

I'm officially a tramp! A ripped rug had been in the field for two years: I dragged it out of the ground and cut off all the buckles and surcingles. They're a blooming fortune on eBay! The material alone costs pounds for a couple of inches! :eek:

russian_charm

Visit site

Went to the stud where my coach trains horses one day. Pile of about a hundred 'ruined' rugs , many perfectly repairable, sitting rotting in a shed. My mum and I are trying to figure out a way to steal them, repair them and give my horse an entire new wardrobe;)

WelshD

Visit site
Lamb castration rings are an excellent alternative if you lose the black rubber rings from the T on your surcingles

jvm100

Visit site
Only really suits small children, but get johds hacking jackets etc from h&m or other high street stores. kitted my daughter out for lead rein- inc boots but minus the hat for £40. Had to change the jacket buttons but she looked great!

bgray1981

Visit site
Use wood pellets for bedding, especially if can afford to buy in bulk. They are so easy to use and safe massively on time spent mucking out and general cost of bedding. Can't reccomend them enough!

MollyCon

Visit site
Visit your local gypsy fairs. As long as you don't ask questions about where it came from you can get some really good bargains! (eg an entire bridle inc snaffle bit & martingale for £20; a heavy duty NZ outdoor rug for £30)

sunleychops

Visit site
Visit your local gypsy fairs. As long as you don't ask questions about where it came from you can get some really good bargains! (eg an entire bridle inc snaffle bit & martingale for £20; a heavy duty NZ outdoor rug for £30)

Thats a nice tip, Encouraging people do deal with stolen tack through gypsys.

Do you have any morals whatsoever?

ILikeThemHairy

Visit site
Just wanted to bump this up as i love all the tips!

I bought some jods for £4 and £2 in a charity tack sale, along with a saddle stand and waterproof cover together for £5, and a schooling whip for £5 too.

Also bought wood pellets in a pallet as its way cheaper!

Almost everything I have bought for my horse has been second hand through facebook groups / a swap shop in a tack shop or through eBay.

Also heard that if you use the big washing machines in a laundrette it costs about £4 and you can wash your whole rug in it :) cheaper than most rug washes!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Just wanted to bump this up as i love all the tips!

I bought some jods for £4 and £2 in a charity tack sale, along with a saddle stand and waterproof cover together for £5, and a schooling whip for £5 too.

Also bought wood pellets in a pallet as its way cheaper!

Almost everything I have bought for my horse has been second hand through facebook groups / a swap shop in a tack shop or through eBay.

Also heard that if you use the big washing machines in a laundrette it costs about £4 and you can wash your whole rug in it :) cheaper than most rug washes![/QUOTE]

I bet the people washing there clothes afterwards would love you!!

DreamingIsBelieving

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
Visit site
  • I got a flourescent exercise sheet from Decathlon for £11.99;). It's the mesh type, the sort made out of a similar material to sports vests. Great for sweaty ponies! I used it on Jock when he was a very hairy unclipped boy and he didn't sweat anymore than usual:D. Only downside is the reflective horse head design is on the wrong side because it was made in France:(.
  • You can buy rolls of reflective iron/sew on tape for £2.25 off eBay, you are then free to hi-viz anything you desire.

Can you tell I'm the yard Christmas tree?:D:D

mynutmeg

Visit site
Ask your vet to teach you how to do shots - saves loads of money as if shots such as dectomax are needed you can get the meds, syringes and needles from the vet and administer yourselves. Saves at least £50 a time (call out etc fees).
There's only certain shots you can do but every little helps and intramuscular shots are easy to do.

Lickety-Split

Visit site
Go into your local pub and ask if they have any carrot peelings they can give you. Even small pubs usually peel a few carrots for their Sunday roasts and they make a great free treat. They also may have big plastic containers with a handle used to store cooking oil in, they take a bit of time to wash out properly but make excellent water containers.

If you are fortunate to live near a sail makers, ask them if they have any scraps that they can give you to repair rugs with. The ones close to me were a bit hesitant at first, but once I had explained what I wanted them for they gave me full use of their bin!

beth21

Visit site
Don't know if it's been said but Ebay is great for buying second hand rugs.

I bought three hardly worn rugs in great condition for the price one rug would have cost!

DreamingIsBelieving

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
Visit site
i've never come across bailing twine that doesnt break.

Something I've noticed a lot of people overlooking is that it is neccesary to thin out the baler twine into smaller strands before using it. At my loan pony's yard they use the thickest baler twine I've ever seen and it drives me nuts! When I'm bored I'll usually stand my one of the tie rings and break stands of it in an attempt to thin it out:eek:!