Money saving tips!

Horse2018

Visit site
I now these is old thread but you need to be extremely careful using non horse things on horses . It might end up costing you more in the long run with massive vet bills. A great way of saving money is to budget and before buying something for your horse say to yourself do you really need it.

Oofy

New User
Visit site
Some of my tips are:

1. Use coconut oil – for everything! Buy it a lot and divide it in small jars. Use it on your hair, face...you name it. And on horse of course, too. Specially in summer, when bugs has bite your horse – it takes off the scratch. Spread it on horse chest, so the blankets won’t rub horse. Put it in armpits, so they won’t be shattered. Use coconut oil as hoofgrease.

2. Like to feed mash to horse, especially in cold winter but your horse especially doesn’t need it? Or horse doesn’t drink enough? Make a herbal tea (like a peppermint or chamomile), without a sugar, and pour it in your horse usual cereal. My horse like it, she gets more water (she is very bad drinker all time of the year) and she is calmer also (also good saving from calming/digestion support powders ect).

3. If you have only one horse, don’t make my “smart decision ” to buy a lot of linseed all at once (5kg) because of good kg price. You will have to throw it away because it wont’t stay fresh long and you need really small amounts of it every day.

4. Keep at least one blanket you maybe want to throw away. You can get waterproof patches from there and leg/belly straps which is good to put on fleece blankets which you can get very good price because they doesn’t have leg/belly straps. Also the carbines.

5. Use stable rug and thin (but strong, 1200 DEN) turnout rug together. Stable rugs are little cheaper, are simpler to wash and doesn’t need waterproof restore. Thin turnout rugs are cheaper than thick ones. Win win.

6. Don’t buy turnout rugs with the fleece. It’s gonna be pain in the ass to get rid of all the dirt (especially fur and sawdust) from the blanket. Buy a fleece rug (and read my point 4, so you can buy the cheapest fleece rug in the market) and put it under the turnout rug, when needed. If it gets dirty, it’s much easier and cheaper to wash.

7. Self-evident but use carrot/apples instead of special treats. And use (example eggersman) mineral bricks as a treat, but pay attention to the recommended dose!

8. I can’t afford professional trainer more than once a month, so before the training I set myself a goal to think about 2 topic – goals, problems, questions, tips, how to deal with it in the future ect...It seems so elementary that you make homework but many trainers had complain, that they students don’t know exactly, what they want to do, prepare for or get a professional opinion. It wastes everyone time and your money because time is money.

9. Use training tracking app (like equilab or sth) in your training sessions. Those kind of apps give you a good information, how much energy your horse actually use. So you can make a conclusion: does your horse needs so much müsli as you think he/she will spend.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Eh, I buy sudocrem for things like mud fever and I use lice shampoo sold at Savers for £1 for people, apparently it does work but I only used it once on my pony so... can't really say much about it at the moment. Might test it on my Anglo since he's covered in them at the moment though. Also, I read wheatgerm is really good for horses too, can pick it up cheap in most supermarkets. Also detangler shampoo for kids, or conditioner, or baby oil works great for keeping mane and tail from tangling or simply to untangle them and keep them shiny looking.

Last edited:

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
With all bills rising at the moment I though it may help everyone to share any money saving tips they have come across over their horsey years!!

My first would be a good tip (money saver!) for when your horse has an abcess in the foot and you have to change the pultice at least 2x a day and then end up dropping it in a puddle
mad.gif
....the packs of pultice you get through go up and up....

Purchase some cheap nappies (Aldi 20 for £2!) and these work wonderfully and even have the straps to help secure. (you will also need to cover with a bag and duct tape)

But much cheaper!!
laugh.gif

They also fit great around hock injuries!
laugh.gif

Any other money savers out there??!!
tongue.gif
That is brilliant! I have heaps left over from before my 3 year old moved into her big girl pants!

other money saving idea is swapping stuff- I swapped brushing boots that no longer fitted for brand new rounded spurs, and a navy dressage competition jacket for a nearly new rug. Other ppl started doing it too!

Is there an online swap shop for horse kit? There should be! X

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
That is brilliant! I have heaps left over from before my 3 year old moved into her big girl pants!

other money saving idea is swapping stuff- I swapped brushing boots that no longer fitted for brand new rounded spurs, and a navy dressage competition jacket for a nearly new rug. Other ppl started doing it too!

Is there an online swap shop for horse kit? There should be! X
Yes there should!! Great idea x

Landy1994#

New User
Visit site
With all bills rising at the moment I though it may help everyone to share any money saving tips they have come across over their horsey years!!

My first would be a good tip (money saver!) for when your horse has an abcess in the foot and you have to change the pultice at least 2x a day and then end up dropping it in a puddle
mad.gif
....the packs of pultice you get through go up and up....

Purchase some cheap nappies (Aldi 20 for £2!) and these work wonderfully and even have the straps to help secure. (you will also need to cover with a bag and duct tape)

But much cheaper!!
laugh.gif

They also fit great around hock injuries!
laugh.gif

Any other money savers out there??!!
tongue.gif
Totally agree with this, they work great and as you said as so cheap 👍