Money saving tips!

madgirl

Visit site
use FURNITURE POLISH instead of mane and tail honestly you can get sainsburys basics for under a pound and it is exactly the same as mane and tail.

hairycob

Visit site
When a rug "dies" I cut out some decent bits of the outer fabic & use then to repair rips in other rugs. If you have stuff handy you can repair tiny rips before they tuirn into big rips. Use extra strong thread & sharp embroidery needles.

MissSBird

Visit site
When buying horse 'lotions and potions' always look for a useby date. It's amazing how much stuff gets left on the shelf to go out of date, then you can haggle for a lower price on it.

michaelj

jarmuzwebdesign.co.uk
blush.gif
Ill be sure to use all of these!
Every way to get out of the 94 quid a week livery!!!!
tongue.gif

gothdolly

Visit site
Use old net curtains to patch torn fly rugs.

Dont buy supplements you dont really need....... and dont pay for herbs that are grown in your field and hedgerows. Someone at our yard feeds nettles (that she buys from a herbal company). I cut the many nettles that grown in my horse's field, hang them to dry and feed them to him for nothing.

Or have a go at growing your own herbs. Easier than you think!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
An idea I had & it appears to work, use it yourselves if it will help.

Some months ago we had 4 energisers stolen from our paddocks, a damn nuisance & expensive to replace . I replaced mine & sorted out a relatively cheap way to secure it.

I got a steel ammunition box, fitted the energiser into the box & put a hasp & padlock on the lid. I used a lorry isolation switch on the outside to turn it on & off without having to open the box. To secure it to the floor I drilled a hole at either end of the box's base & then screwed the box down using a couple of 'dog anchors' as below link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOG-ANCHOR-STAKE-T...1QQcmdZViewItem
Once the box is screwed down it will take considerable leverage/lift to shake it free to steal the energiser. I know there are lockable chests on the market for energisers & batteries but they cost a fortune, mine cost only a few pounds & a little time to make.

niagaraduval

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ooh my fav topic!!
Own brand baby shampoo instead of horsey shampoo, baby oil, wet wipes make good eye/bum wipes etc
Many things like cotton wool rolls cheaper from Chemist not saddlery
Wash rugs that don't need re-proofing in the bath yourself
Stock up on swedes from supermarket end of day reductions, they still keep for ages.
Learn to sew or make a friend who does - lots of things easily repairable instead of throw away, e.g. velcro comes off something.
Do an occasionall reccy shop around for best price/quality straw, hay, shavings etc. don't assume you are still getting a good deal from your current supplier
See something you like in your local tack shop? If you can wait a few days for it, go home and mooch the internet to see if you can get it cheaper
Ebay is amazing!!
Get together with others to buy feed/straw etc in bulk
Look after your things - maintain tack and rugs etc, and if you have a theft problem on a yard a lock and chain is cheaper than constantly replacing things
Visit the pound/cheapo shop for storage boxes, sponges, vaseline, dustpan and brush, cheap small brooms make good yard brooms if you don't have to sweep the whole yard, laundry baskets make good skips

... told you it was my fav subject
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! you beat me to it! I was about to post those exact same money saving tips! hey you even thought of a few more!
blush.gif

pocket

Visit site
Washing up liquid for white tails/feathers, tesco own shampoo for bathing.

Don't spend a fortune on ties for shows, go to the charity shop and you can pick them up for 50p and the money goes to a good cause
grin.gif

Jenz

Visit site
I have no idea how good the quality is but Aldi and Lidl occasionally have exercise and stable bandages, headcollars, rugs and odd things like that at super cheap prices! The big Tesco stores also have riding things. Because of the quality uncertainty I wouldn't buy tack, but a stable bandage surely is just a stable bandage that is going to get bedding stuck in it anyway!

Talking of supermarkets, according to moneysavingexpert.com the dead-and-dying sections get cheaper roughly the same time every day, perfect for picking up apples and carrots!

(Up to 25% off - Up to 50% off - Up to 75% and up)

Asda 12pm - 5pm - 9pm
Morrisons 5pm - 7pm
Sainburys 10am - 5pm - 8pm
Tesco 8am - 4pm - 8pm
Co-op 8am - 5pm - 7pm

perfectpolly

Visit site
rubber or eva stable mats--really cuts down on bedding costs and your time for mucking out.
b&q for buckets-98p.
tesco value shampoo, wet wipes as already mentioned.
buy in bulk if you can as the more you order, the cheaper you can get it--bedding and hay etc.
magnitude( equine america) instead of naf magic--works just as well, at a fraction of the cost.
when your haynet snaps, reapir it with bailing twine.
club together with rest of yard for a wheelbarrow fund and share barrows, brooms and forks.
the interent and google--see something you like, google it to see if you can get it cheaper--some fab online stores with low postage costs.

fatpiggy

Visit site
That's easy - don't have a horse!!!

If you think you've got it bad, I worked out recently that due to a couple of medical conditions, my drugs bill for my horse over the last 4 years, has been at least £16000. Yes you did read that right - three noughts. And then there are the usual stable bill, petrol...

magicchett

Visit site
Thats AMAZING!

- i bet mine will still chew.. the little sods!

That or the boys will try and poo all over the fence...silly stallions! - at least i wouldnt have to re-do it when it rains!!

*laughs*

shazza283

Visit site
I second that thought
crazy.gif
confused.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Oh just thought of a good one - club together for vet visits - if you split the visit fees makes quite a bit of diff - we have a board and anyone who's getting the vet out writes on the board the date etc so we can ring the vet and add to their list on that day - somtimes farriers/ physios and dentists do the same and charge less for groups.
cool.gif
smile.gif

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Lard up your horse before winter.

Take a cheap block of lard and rub it all over your horses back bone area, and on the heals it will prevent rain scald and mud fever from starting. The heat of your horses body will spread it through the coat.

Just make sure you have lots of warm soapy water come spring!!!!!!!

townfieldlass

Visit site
Bought last years hay (good till Christmas) for £1 a bale. This years can't be used till November time and is £2.50 a bale....saved a fortune!!

Sell unwanted tack/rugs/bits on ebay! Bought my new saddle with the profits...its amazing what you accumulate and don't use!

Look for offers on rugs. I never pay more than £30 even for turnouts....bless the internet!!

Local sawmills for wood shavings!

Put the lorry on a SORN if you're not using it over the winter and get a car trailer for hay pickup!! Saving at least £90!!

Put £10 a month away all year for vaccinations so when they come (ours are November) your not searching for the money!

Keep the horses warm! Warm horses need less feed to hold their weight!

Bailing twine makes a great fillet string on rugs that lose their leg straps!!

Ideally loan your horses out over winter so some eager first timer exercises them and does the winter mornings!! hhhhmmm! still working on that one!

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
If your horse is prone to Mud fever, get some nappy rash cream like sudocrem or Tesco's own and slap it on the pink skin as a barrier. It does work in a few days on even stubborn cases, and is a fraction of what you'd pay at the vets
smile.gif

Brontie

Visit site
I always have annoying blue rope laying around, So I put it to use, Ok, its not quite suitable necessarily for day to day use, but very handy for catching in.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
This was someone elses tip from another part of this forum (I've looked at so much of it tonight that I can't remember who or where!) - thin cotton sheet under a cheap quilt with a waterproof lightweight turnout on top. It makes it all easier to wash at home rather than the expensive option of sending out to be washed.

pootler

Visit site
Instead of buying expensive boot jacks for your long riding boots use empty 1.5 litre fizzy drink bottles. Push them neck down inside the leg of the boot to help keep its shape. Works a treat!