Mounting block.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a mounting block, surprised at how expensive they are! Any ideas as what can be used instead?

UnaB

Visit site
I recently bought a mounting block and had it made by a local carpenter as the size I wanted (extra tall!!) was going to cost about £200. Advertised on Facebook for someone to make it. Cost me £50 😊

EBHouse

Visit site
Thanks, having a young horse, I want something stable.

Fair enough. Are you/do you have anyone who is good at DIY? I think it would be fairly easy to build something sturdy, and much cheaper. There was one made from lengths of decking at a previous yard which was fabulous.

s4sugar

Visit site
Picnic benches, the sort with a table & seats fixed at the sides. are appearing in the sales - around £50 & make great mounting blocks.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Would a jump block not be sturdy enough?

It would be cheaper than £50 or so on a handmade one - although not as lovely, I grant you!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
For permanent use at own yard:
Concrete blocks, about a £1 each from the likes of Wickes (not breeze blocks as they can crack etc).
Stack onto a level surface, and Bob's your aunties uncle :)

I have mine 4 steps tall and 2 blocks wide, its on a bit of level concrete at end of yard.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have a great, 3 step wooden one that I bought from eBay for £85 about 8 years ago-nice and stable, broad, non-slip etc etc

Similar ones have been advertised on FB-might be worth posting in some local groups?

applecart14

Visit site
Stack of wooden pallets. Stack of milk crates. Both can be a little wobbly but perfectly adequate for us :D

Please don't use milk crates. So very dangerous if a horse puts a foot through them, the rigid plastic shards would just cut their legs to ribbons.

Can you not make one from a few pieces of timber off cuts? My Dad made me a smashing one which I took to my new yard. Its the absolute spit of UnaB's. Maybe my Dad has come out of retirement without me knowing :)

I also have a 'box' which fits on top of my two steps foldaway stepladder, because when I first did my disc in my back I couldn't lift my leg high enough into the stirrup from a standard height mounting block. Dad put me a couple of toolbox type of latches on the box and stool and now I can latch the box onto the stool which gives me about 8 inches of additional height. It dismantles for the journey home, and the wooden box fits nicely in my water bucket on the other side of the partition in my trailer.

It drives me mad how many people don't use them properly (unless I am wrong of course!) You steps should face towards your horses bum so you walk up the steps as if you are passing on his nearside - that's how I was taught.

Last edited:

LeannePip

Visit site
I've got a great box that my grandad made me which we keep in the lorry, or the yard one is a basic frame covered in old decking and chicken wire to stop it getting slippy and then there is one built into the fence of the arena too

It drives me mad how many people don't use them properly (unless I am wrong of course!) You steps should face towards your horses bum so you walk up the steps as if you are passing on his nearside - that's how I was taught.

Just because it is the way you were taught doesn't mean it is the correct way or even that there is a correct way to use a mounting block. As long as it is safe mount from i think anything goes!

Batgirl

Visit site
I recently bought a mounting block and had it made by a local carpenter as the size I wanted (extra tall!!) was going to cost about £200. Advertised on Facebook for someone to make it. Cost me £50 ��

Do this - I did the same, paid £20 for one made from recycled wood!!

EBHouse

Visit site
Just because it is the way you were taught doesn't mean it is the correct way or even that there is a correct way to use a mounting block. As long as it is safe mount from i think anything goes!

Agree with this. Quite often I will mount from the offside as I think it's a useful thing for a horse and rider to be able to do.

applecart14

Visit site
Agree with this. Quite often I will mount from the offside as I think it's a useful thing for a horse and rider to be able to do.
Maybe I am old school but I was taught to mount with my left foot in the stirrup facing towards the horses bum and then as you swing your leg over so your foot rotates. Therefore in order to use a mounting block you would approach it facing towards the horses bum.

There probably isn't a right way or a wrong way but a quick google search tells me you are correct to stand parallel to the horse and face his tail which is what I was taught (BHS). Apparently, in the olden days people would mount from the left side because their sword was carried on their left side and it didn't interfere with being caught up when they mounted.

Last edited:

EBHouse

Visit site
Maybe I am old school but I was taught to mount with my left foot in the stirrup facing towards the horses bum and then as you swing your leg over so your foot rotates. Therefore in order to use a mounting block you would approach it facing towards the horses bum.

There probably isn't a right way or a wrong way.

I was actually taught this too :) However I didn't like it, I found it a faff trying to rotate and would stick my toe into the horse's side as I turned around. Perhaps with practise it would have become more natural! I never did though. Much like I never adjust my stirrups with my feet in them - did for exam purposes but never again. I am beginning to think I am lazy :p

I think you are right with how to approach, though - regardless of how you actually climb aboard it has got to be much safer to start from the horse's head and walk back.

Perhaps digressing slightly from the original question, sorry OP :eek:

Antw23uk

Visit site
I 2nd the Ikea steps, i think i paid about £14 for mine. Flatpacked so you have to make them yourself but they are brilliant and light enough to carry around with you. I will get some tree stumps for the bottom of the drive, anything else will get nicked ..... actually they will probably get nicked as well but i can replace them for free!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Mounting block? Get a man to cut a blue barrel in half for you. If you make the cut off centre, you'll have two blocks of different heights.

Now, all this talk about spending money on such a simple DIY item that oight to be free has made me feel quite faint and I need to go and lie down. :(

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
If you want to build something from brick and can collect from Manchester area, I have a load of spare bricks left over from when I had a wall rebuilt. Free to a good home :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I recently bought a mounting block and had it made by a local carpenter as the size I wanted (extra tall!!) was going to cost about £200. Advertised on Facebook for someone to make it. Cost me £50 ��

I made one just like this out of an old pallet. Took an afternoon and was very satisfying :) Also very sturdy! Only cost was a few screws.

dollyanna

Visit site

There probably isn't a right way or a wrong way but a quick google search tells me you are correct to stand parallel to the horse and face his tail which is what I was taught (BHS). Apparently, in the olden days people would mount from the left side because their sword was carried on their left side and it didn't interfere with being caught up when they mounted.

If you are on your own though you would be leading the horse to the mounting block from the left side, so the steps would be mounted towards the horses head in order for you to walk up them as you lead your horse to the steps. Easy enough to turn round on the top to face the tail to mount!

emmad96

Visit site
We share our grounds with the Riding for the Disabled, so I usually use their big mounting ramp - tall enough that I usually just swing a leg over (17hh horse). I have to get pretty creative with mounting options as i've got buggered knees, i have been known to use 80/95 XC jumps as mounting blocks before, or big old culvert pipes! Just get something made out of recycled wood, as long as its made properly it should be nice and stable.