My horse is killing the yard chickens

SOS

Visit site
She’s not a vile horse. She’s vile to the hens. They are not even mine. They belong to the land owner. They were here when I rented the yard 9 years ago. There are loads of them. I feed them. I shut them up at night. If a fox gets one because I missed one .. then I’m really upset. I’ll
Look into some form of fencing around her field. But it’s an acre ! They will fly over it as well. I’m racking my brains out. And I don’t have spare Monet as I earn chicken feed as a cleaner that all goes up look after the horses.

If they belong to the land owner then speak to them about it? Or alternatively maybe look at moving your horse somewhere else if the whole situation is too much?

I was only quoting your own words “She’s so vile”

exracehorse

Visit site
Why have 50 chickens if you can’t afford to keep them safe?
I hate the chickens are disposable attitude. I know you are asking for help but why are you still letting them get killed?
oh my god. This is getting ridiculous. They are not even mine. They were here when I rented the yard 9 years ago. I spend 20 pounds a week in food for them. I shut them up at night. I go back to the yard every night especially for them when they have gone to roost to shut them up. It’s the past three months my mare has shown aggression towards them. I was asking if this was normal horse behaviour to dislike small animals in your field. And trying to think how to solve it. But on a budget.

exracehorse

Visit site
If the chickens only want to go in the mare's one acre field could you move her to another field.
They all have a summer paddock. And winter paddock behind. They all free range over the yard. Fields. Schooling ring. They are all next to each other. The horses I mean. But for some reason seem to like visiting her.

Clodagh

Visit site
oh my god. This is getting ridiculous. They are not even mine. They were here when I rented the yard 9 years ago. I spend 20 pounds a week in food for them. I shut them up at night. I go back to the yard every night especially for them when they have gone to roost to shut them up. It’s the past three months my mare has shown aggression towards them. I was asking if this was normal horse behaviour to dislike small animals in your field. And trying to think how to solve it. But on a budget.
You said you took on some ex batts as well,? Who do they belong to them?

fiwen30

Visit site
You need to show those poor chickens the same level of care and commitment which I’m assuming you show your horse. From your post there’s been at least 3 deaths and 1 serious injury. 1 of those incidents should’ve been enough to prompt action to protect them. Replace the word ‘chicken’ with ‘yard cat’, or ‘dog’, or ‘small child’ - whichever begins to sound less reasonable & disposable, and then ask again if it’s too much hassle/expensive to keep them safe. From your initial post, you inherited some chickens, and then adopted ex batteries under your own steam. They are your responsibility to protect or to rehome. Even a humane dispatch would be a better end than getting killed by a horse IMO.

It is not expensive to sink some posts around whatever structure they’re shut in at night, and rig up some chicken wire over them.

exracehorse

Visit site
You said you took on some ex batts as well,? Who do they belong to them?
I took three. Because they were going to be slaughtered. I was trying to help. And that was beginning of year. She has been with chickens for over two years. And no problems. Pulled faces at them.

Labaire

Visit site
OP I dont think its abnormal behaviour, just not that common. There used to be a poster on here with PRE mares who used to kill chickens given the chance. My gelding will chase them out of the field (also dogs) and I had a horse that killed a rabbit then picked it up and swung it about a bit and another gelding who was quite aggressive with dogs in his field (but he'd had provocation over the years and was latish cut). Someone needs to fence the chickens away from the horse though and quick.

exracehorse

Visit site
You need to show those poor chickens the same level of care and commitment which I’m assuming you show your horse. From your post there’s been at least 3 deaths and 1 serious injury. 1 of those incidents should’ve been enough to prompt action to protect them. Replace the word ‘chicken’ with ‘yard cat’, or ‘dog’, or ‘small child’ - whichever begins to sound less reasonable & disposable, and then ask again if it’s too much hassle/expensive to keep them safe. From your initial post, you inherited some chickens, and then adopted ex batteries under your own steam. They are your responsibility to protect or to rehome. Even a humane dispatch would be a better end than getting killed by a horse IMO.

It is not expensive to sink some posts around whatever structure they’re shut in at night, and rig up some chicken wire over them.
i took three ex batteries. I can’t put a run against the barn. If you saw the yard you would understand the position of the barn. All I can do is try and stop them from getting in her field. I’ve never said it’s too much hassle. And yes it would be expensive to sort too. I’ll look on the internet.

exracehorse

Visit site
OP I dont think its abnormal behaviour, just not that common. There used to be a poster on here with PRE mares who used to kill chickens given the chance. My gelding will chase them out of the field (also dogs) and I had a horse that killed a rabbit then picked it up and swung it about a bit and another gelding who was quite aggressive with dogs in his field (but he'd had provocation over the years and was latish cut). Someone needs to fence the chickens away from the horse though and quick.
this is what she is doing. She will chase and stamp if they are too near her. Unfortunately I’ve had one killed. One who recovered. And one who I had pts. Yard owner would not be interested. I just rent the land from him.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I've known horses who are very unpleasant to small animals and yes will try and stomp them. It's such a difficult situation and it sounds like you're probably going to have to try and keep them apart for everyone's sakes, yours included. The horse who was vile has improved in more recent years (he attacked a mini Shetland for no good reason) but I still wouldn't ever trust him and we make sure no dogs are within biting or kicking distance. He's a lovely horse otherwise with humans. I think it's something you will have to assume she will always do, unless she has something causing her behaviour that you can definitely sort. Poor hens. I hope you can sort something, good luck.

exracehorse

Visit site
I've known horses who are very unpleasant to small animals and yes will try and stomp them. It's such a difficult situation and it sounds like you're probably going to have to try and keep them apart for everyone's sakes, yours included. The horse who was vile has improved in more recent years (he attacked a mini Shetland for no good reason) but I still wouldn't ever trust him and we make sure no dogs are within biting or kicking distance. He's a lovely horse otherwise with humans. I think it's something you will have to assume she will always do, unless she has something causing her behaviour that you can definitely sort. Poor hens. I hope you can sort something, good luck.
. Thank you. 9 years. And never a fatality. Usually fox related. It’s difficult as they don’t belong to me although I feed them. And shut them up. Why do they navigate towards the only horse on the yard who hates them !? The ONLY option is to try to and sort a fencing out around her field. But they will fly over it. And it’s got to be electrified. And I’ve still got to her in and out. And he’s an acre in size.

mariew

Visit site
I hope you find a solution to the chickens. I don't think a dislike of little animals is that uncommon. My mare would stomp on any pigeons who would decide to sit on her stable floor. I also used to ride a big horse who hated small things. He would chase them out of his field and try to get them.

Labaire

Visit site
Yes. Lots grass. Plus hay now as grass isn’t so long. She’s not hungry. Plus two small feeds a day when I bring in.

Chickens love hay, they love the seeds-maybe they are going in after that. Commercial hybrids have most of their instincts bred out of them and wouldn’t be savvy enough to avoid an angry horse if they see hay out. she may not be hungry but may see it as a resource and is guarding it.

Last edited:

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
My donkeys chase and try to stamp to death absolutely any moving thing that comes into the field, my horse couldn't care less. That is the only reason I have never introduced sheep as a natural weed control, too frightened they would get in with the donkeys and get stamped to death.

If the chooks belong to the land owner, can you approach him and point out you have been happy to spend £20 a week feeding his chooks for him, but now your mare has taken a dislike to them they will either have to be rehomed (chooks not horses) or he will have to stump up the money for a chicken proof safe area for HIS chickens.

9 years !!!- crikey how long do chickens live then? Back in the day when I was a child ours never got very old as they were used for laying and then for eating before they got too old and tough.

exracehorse

Visit site
Chickens love hay, they love the seeds-maybe they are going in after that. Commercial hybrids have most of their instincts bred out of them and wouldn’t be savvy enough to avoid an angry horse if they see hay out.
Hay is on a hay box. I’ve never seen them in the hay. They roam from
Field to field. I never bought the chickens and cocks. They have always been there. I try my best and feed them. If I didn’t feed them then no one would. It costs me a fortune in chicken feed. I did take in three ex batteries beginning yesr as the rescue centre had 8,000 to find homes. It’s past 3 months she has been vile towards ‘them’ And I repeat ‘she’s not a vile horse’. Don’t know why I was told that I obviously hated my hirse. Three ex batteries are fine. Dolly recovered and stays away now. The other two she stamped were the feral ones. All the yard ones are feral. You can’t get near them. I shut them up at night but that’s as close as I can get. It’s hard trying to work out how to stop them going in her acre field when I don’t have much money as I work as a cleaner. And they will fly over too. Maybe it’s her hormones. I can discuss with vet. She’s quite marish at times. Always in season. I did post about that. Apparently that’s normal. Especially at a young age. She’s started a supplement. Or she just hates them full stop. The yard cats snooze in her fields. And she ignores. She’s seen dogs when out riding. And ignores. Absolutely fine with humans. Other horses. Wouldn’t trust her with a dog in her field though. She’s very territorial it seems. Even when tied up .. if they come to near then she kicks out. Hence Dolly hurt her leg. Now I watch her like a hawk tied up. I felt terrible when it happened. I splintered her leg and looked after her for 6 weeks. So I do really care about all animals. I am shocked that some of the comments have been to sell her. Rehome 50 feral hens that are not even mine. And that I have no compassion to the chickens. I really do. It’s a working farm. And units are let out to others. All I can do is investigate a form of stopping them getting in her field.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think some of the comments are unnecessarily harsh given the OP is looking for help to remedy this.

My gelding is fine with my dog but given a chance he’d kill the yard cat. No idea why he wants to stamp on his head but I cannot trust him.

I don’t really have any more ideas than already suggested and it’s not simple if you’ve limited resources and don’t own the land. I don’t think I’d be moving from a yard I’ve been at 9yrs for a few chickens either.

[153312]

Visit site
Being constantly in season isn't normal op, alongside the fact that - if I've got this right - she's only just recently 'gone on a killing spree' I'll reiterate what I've said upthread that you need to speak to a vet, and in the meantime separate the chickens from the mare. Netting around her paddock is a good really idea.

exracehorse

Visit site
My donkeys chase and try to stamp to death absolutely any moving thing that comes into the field, my horse couldn't care less. That is the only reason I have never introduced sheep as a natural weed control, too frightened they would get in with the donkeys and get stamped to death.

If the chooks belong to the land owner, can you approach him and point out you have been happy to spend £20 a week feeding his chooks for him, but now your mare has taken a dislike to them they will either have to be rehomed (chooks not horses) or he will have to stump up the money for a chicken proof safe area for HIS chickens.

9 years !!!- crikey how long do chickens live then? Back in the day when I was a child ours never got very old as they were used for laying and then for eating before they got too old and tough.
. They breed. Some have been here for ages. Bumble is probably 7 years old. He’s the big cock. Yard owner is retired. He would definitely not spend money on a fox proof free range run. And I certainly can’t. I didn’t earn a penny last year in lock down. I’ll have to look at a fence to go around her field. Three fatalities in three months. So I know something will have to be done. I’ll
Look on internet at a cheap fencing that’s electrified. I can’t do any more

exracehorse

Visit site
Being constantly in season isn't normal op, alongside the fact that - if I've got this right - she's only just recently 'gone on a killing spree' I'll reiterate what I've said upthread that you need to speak to a vet, and in the meantime separate the chickens from the mare. Netting around her paddock is a good really idea.
she’s in season every three weeks over summer. Hasn’t had one for past month since summer coat has started to mount. Has always disliked them. From
Day one, two years ago. Pulled faces. Past three months she started chasing them out if her field. Unfortunately this has resulted in the young cock getting hurt a month ago. And one yesterday. Plus Dolly while tied up outside her stable.

exracehorse

Visit site
I think some of the comments are unnecessarily harsh given the OP is looking for help to remedy this.

My gelding is fine with my dog but given a chance he’d kill the yard cat. No idea why he wants to stamp on his head but I cannot trust him.

I don’t really have any more ideas than already suggested and it’s not simple if you’ve limited resources and don’t own the land. I don’t think I’d be moving from a yard I’ve been at 9yrs for a few chickens either.
and Id have five horses to move. They are elderly and retired. And I can’t afford five in livery. I pay for grazing.

Bluewaves

Visit site
It sounds difficult.

My chum does work at a local animal rescue and they have a lot of very helpful volunteers who have helped the rescue rebuild fencing etc. They look after chickens as well. Would it be worth appealing for local help/advice on your situation, maybe a local area facebook group or from an animal rescue. Particularly as the owner isn't taking care of them.

planete

Visit site
Use cheap netting around the mare's paddock then clip the wing feathers of ONE wing only of each chicken. You can probably do that once they have settled in their housing at night. It does not hurt them but should make them unable to fly over the fence as their flight will be unbalanced and even more inefficient then usual. It will need to be done regularly as the feathers grow back. though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Use cheap netting around the mare's paddock then clip the wing feathers of ONE wing only of each chicken. You can probably do that once they have settled in their housing at night. It does not hurt them but should make them unable to fly over the fence as their flight will be unbalanced and even more inefficient then usual. It will need to be done regularly as the feathers grow back. though.

Finally, some sense. The perfect solution ??

MinKo

Visit site
My Connemara killed some free range chickens and ducks that where free range and wandered into his field. The farmer I rented from was very easy going and just decided to use the dead ones and dog and cat food and then fenced off the gaps they where getting through and the located the ducks. I was mortified by it all but Dave the farmer was not at all worried luckily

exracehorse

Visit site
Thank you.

exracehorse

Visit site
My Connemara killed some free range chickens and ducks that where free range and wandered into his field. The farmer I rented from was very easy going and just decided to use the dead ones and dog and cat food and then fenced off the gaps they where getting through and the located the ducks. I was mortified by it all but Dave the farmer was not at all worried luckily
Oh god! Wonder what makes them do it.