My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Gave me a smile, thanks AA. Can TtT's groom possibly come and make Henry's stockings that fabulous blinding white colour before we compete?

Pig oil is your friend. On a quality horse just wipe the legs with a soft cloth with a few drops of plain pig oil, do it every 4th or 5th day. The mud just slides off and you can then just wash or use stainaway spray on the white bits. (for Ted I use it by the gallon ! )

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Pig oil is your friend. On a quality horse just wipe the legs with a soft cloth with a few drops of plain pig oil, do it every 4th or 5th day. The mud just slides off and you can then just wash or use stainaway spray on the white bits. (for Ted I use it by the gallon ! )

Hi AA I too am impressed by Ted’s sparkling white legs. As I have recently bought a horse who is mostly white ( first ‘ white ‘ horse ever!) I Googled ‘stainaway’. Unfortunately there are a few brands using that name. Which one do you use?
I already use pig oil but am left with a cleaner but mud coloured horse and am reluctant to wash too often because mud fever is prevalent here.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Hetsmum

Visit site
Lovely to see Ted out again looking extremely handsome! I too use Pig Oil, although with not enough land and horses on clay they have been banished to the arena since Christmas - which does make for extremely sparkly clean legs!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I cannot believe this is the same horse as on page one of his epic story. I am a tiny bit proud of him. Letting him find out where the feed room is was not the best of idea's, if he gets in there I will need a tin opener and the fire brigade to get him out.

He will be 7 in June and I think he is just about done, he won't let me put the stick on him so I don't know how big he actually is.

v591xw.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He really is magnificent, AA. I take it plans for him to join the fuzz have been shelved? :)

He wouldn't pass the testing for temperament, he is physically sound but his mind isn't and I doubt it ever will be. We have tried to expose him to strangers but he really only trusts 3 people, the guy who broke him, me and his rider. I am sure he would learn to trust others but it would take time and he would hate a big busy yard. A friend rode him last week, she is a good experienced rider but Ted was immediately suspicious and got ever more tense out on the hack. I was disappointed to see him getting upset, but he is what he is and at least we do understand him and he has a home for life.

He is off to the Spring ride at Bissell Wood in a fortnight, so if any of you are there stand clear, he loves his pleasure rides and will be flying his feathers !

Pippity

Visit site
He wouldn't pass the testing for temperament, he is physically sound but his mind isn't and I doubt it ever will be. We have tried to expose him to strangers but he really only trusts 3 people, the guy who broke him, me and his rider. I am sure he would learn to trust others but it would take time and he would hate a big busy yard. A friend rode him last week, she is a good experienced rider but Ted was immediately suspicious and got ever more tense out on the hack. I was disappointed to see him getting upset, but he is what he is and at least we do understand him and he has a home for life.

He is off to the Spring ride at Bissell Wood in a fortnight, so if any of you are there stand clear, he loves his pleasure rides and will be flying his feathers !

He really is lucky to have ended up with you. So many places wouldn't have had the experience or the patience to deal with him - or the ability to step back and say, "This isn't working, I need to get advice."

And, being a horse, he probably has no idea how lucky he is!

DirectorFury

Visit site
He's stunning AA, a big change from the foal you started with! What are your plans for him long term? Any showing or does he not really 'fit' in a category well enough?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
He really is lucky to have ended up with you. So many places wouldn't have had the experience or the patience to deal with him - or the ability to step back and say, "This isn't working, I need to get advice."

And, being a horse, he probably has no idea how lucky he is!

^^This
I can't say it better. He is a credit to your care, love and attention.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He's stunning AA, a big change from the foal you started with! What are your plans for him long term? Any showing or does he not really 'fit' in a category well enough?

I fancy a go at the heavy horse dressage, but ID's are included and most of those go well so Ted would be eclipsed and I expect BD would require a small mortgage to register him. We will just do the local stuff and have fun with him. He is a joy to take out, really easy and loves standing on the box feeling important.

Sven

Visit site
I love this tread and I love this horse, he is such a credit to you and everyone involved in his story. I also love hearing about all the others and their contribution to Teds story, please may this thread never stop xx

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Now look Ted, it is not nice, polite or appropriate to a) hang your baby brother or b) electrify him. Kindly say sorry and play nicely in the future.

15d451h.jpg

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh god, that's a sight that makes your blood run cold...

My wonderful baby Connemara managed to get hold of an old, coiled up length of electric rope that was buried in a hedge a week ago. She managed to drag it round the fence while pulling it into the field, then loop it round her throat. I thank my lucky stars that a)I was there b)I saw her and c)neither of the other two got involved while she was thrashing around. She got off with just a bit of rope burn but my god did my heart stop

Naught Ted indeed to do that to his brother - tut tut

AdorableAlice

Visit site
That will teach me to leave tape up without power won't it ! it is on top of rails to stop chewing or shoving them over, normally powered but I failed to replace the battery. I can only assume Tim thought he was tied up. He was calm and relaxed just watching me walk towards him. I have to admit I was more than worried when I saw him.

Adopter

Visit site
Great photo, a heart stopping moment, what a good boy to stand calmly. One of ours used to squeeze between the tape and the wall, the tape was there to stop the public leaning on the stone walls and then they collapse. I was so worried first time he did it I thought he was stuck, till it happened again and he calmly showed me how it was done. He liked the greener grass and obviously could not feel the electric through his thick coat.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OMG, what a heart stopping moment. Tim is absolutely unruffled and trusting you to sort it out, what a star of a horse.

Even with the best of care, all of us long term owners have had pickles like this. The late maxicob once got his foot into the arena harrows, pulled the whole lot back, then stood stock still whilst I unravelled it all.

teacups

Visit site
I cannot believe this is the same horse as on page one of his epic story. I am a tiny bit proud of him. Letting him find out where the feed room is was not the best of idea's, if he gets in there I will need a tin opener and the fire brigade to get him out.

He will be 7 in June and I think he is just about done, he won't let me put the stick on him so I don't know how big he actually is.

v591xw.jpg

That's one way to get his ears forward for a photo <g>
He looks fabulous, and up to his old tricks I see, trying to get his siblings into trouble. Blimey, what a heart in mouth moment with Tim.

Do you have anything planned for any/all of them in the near future?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I do think I need to stand up for Ted here.

After all Tim is not known as Dim Tim for no reason, and I'd like to see some proof that he did not get his knitting in knots all by himself before Ted is convicted without trial.

sky1000

Visit site
I do think I need to stand up for Ted here.

After all Tim is not known as Dim Tim for no reason, and I'd like to see some proof that he did not get his knitting in knots all by himself before Ted is convicted without trial.

I agree with this with some reservations: I have a soft spot for Tim so am assuming he was called dim because it rhymed. Willing to admit I might be wrong there.. But no evidence on which to convict Ted is spot on. I think it was the cat.

JJS

Visit site
I agree with this with some reservations: I have a soft spot for Tim so am assuming he was called dim because it rhymed. Willing to admit I might be wrong there.. But no evidence on which to convict Ted is spot on. I think it was the cat.

Having four of my own to base this on, the cat does seem like the most likely culprit!