My next equine project horse

sky1000

Visit site
Me too, I press the like button. About the time I found this forum was about the time this thread started and I follow with great interest and homage.

teacups

Visit site
Just strolled along, and there are updates! How did I miss those?

You do write so well - very funny, too. The image of a 780 kg 17hh Ted powering towards the judge on turbo mode! Well done again (go on, what were the judge's comments? I bet they were much more complimentary than you suggest they might have been).

Congratulations re the clipping progress, too. Hope you managed to sort out Alice's wardrobe malfunction so that she can show her face again.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Just strolled along, and there are updates! How did I miss those?

You do write so well - very funny, too. The image of a 780 kg 17hh Ted powering towards the judge on turbo mode! Well done again (go on, what were the judge's comments? I bet they were much more complimentary than you suggest they might have been).

Congratulations re the clipping progress, too. Hope you managed to sort out Alice's wardrobe malfunction so that she can show her face again.

A rather terse 'movement not performed'. She must have been relieved he did not gallop straight into her little booth.

Ted let me do more clipping with the aid of a friend stuffing carrots down him and Ted is now wearing a fashionable design, bottom covered with a chaser affair from his stifle to his wither. His armpits remain hairy, he did give me his leg but couldn't cope with having it held off the ground and the clippers underneath him. He did let me hold his leg up and put the clippers on his shoulder and neck though, we will get there in time. He allowed the clippers behind his ears to the headcollar line, that really is some progress as last autumn we were still building his bridle under his neck as he would not allow anything over his ears.

Today is a big day for both of them, they are off to a professional dressage trainer for a shared lesson. Alice is hoping to meet a handsome well bred warmblood who will sweep her off her trotters and down the aisle. Ted is determined to show the fancy warmbloods a thing or two about dressage.

I am about to rectify Alice's wardrobe malfunction, even I would not let her be seen in such disarray !

Report and picture to follow our adventure into professional training.

teacups

Visit site
Very impressive clipping progress with Ted! Look forward to seeing those photos of Alice sporting her new haircut.

Ok, so judge's comment leaves lots of room for potential...can't wait to hear how the professional training went.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Very impressive clipping progress with Ted! Look forward to seeing those photos of Alice sporting her new haircut.

Ok, so judge's comment leaves lots of room for potential...can't wait to hear how the professional training went.

It was an interesting afternoon, a tad embarrassing and very educational. Most importantly Ted didn't break anything and Alice did not throw a strop.

Alice went first and pro trainer Andrew Phazey, was quite impressed with her balance, he advised not to let her get into her big impressive movement as she cannot maintain balance for long. Her homework is keeping the stride smaller, more half halts and transitions to encourage her to wait a little. This was put into practice yesterday at a small dressage competition.

DSCF4044_zpsvmcvm4zy.jpg

DSCF4034_zpsqck2e3h8.jpg

The yard we went to had some rather lovely stables, the sort with elaborate bars, dual aspect windows and lovely doors. Ted was put in one whilst Alice had her lesson, with strict instructions of no elephant pooing, digging, rolling or spitting. Thankfully he obeyed but I did notice the pansies in the hanging basket looked a little rearranged.

Ted started his session and Andrew was surprised by how much go the carthorse had and asked if Ted had a whoa button. I stood there thinking 'you wait until his feathers start to fly', Ted was still in walk at that point ! Ted's default is to curl his massive neck, close his gullet and get way behind the vertical, plus he is very very sensitive to the leg.

Back to basics for Ted, with halt and wait and transition work together with exercises to encourage him to open his frame. Not sure who is listening and concentrating more in the picture below. It was an intense hour.

DSCF4021_zpspcuqlgjj.jpg

Thankfully we are invited back and Andrew said both the horses have potential. He wants to ride Ted next time and was very impressed with Ted's willingness saying when he can control his power he will easily go up the levels.

So lots to look forward to through the winter and I think we will stop doing the small competitions and concentrate on training. I was quietly proud of the pair of them, they didn't put a foot out of line.

DSCF4012_zpsnf0p8s8j.jpg

Adopter

Visit site
Sounds like a very productive session. Will be interesting to compare progress after some winter training sessions. Alice is looking very grown up, Ted looks to have made real progress and much more balanced.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Wow you have been busy! Horses looking great - I love the photo of Alice stood next to Ted at the lorry - she's looking gorgeous! I am always surprised that there hasn't been a dose of heavy horse injected into the dressage horses - they have a fantastic engine on them.
I also agree with Adopter, Ted's future could have been very different in another home.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted has put himself on Dragon Driving and is in an almighty sulk. It appears his humans had a communication failure today.

I am sure the instruction was to put him in this morning. So I did, with enough haylage to last until mid morning when he would be ridden and turned back out. My phone call to his rider at 5pm to enquire how the horse went today was met with a gasp and an answer of, no Ted was not due to be ridden today.

Warp speed 10 to the yard and there was Ted on his ipad to WHW, Child Line and The Samaritans trying arrange a food parcel delivery. All is not well in Ted's world and it was made a whole lot worse when Alice pointed out to him that she is always hungry due to her everlasting diet, and he should man up, she also called him some nasty names beginning with an F, furry and fool but possibly worse.

Ted has dressage on Saturday, he could just get his own back.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
As expected he got his own back after I starved him.

He was entered for the Cricklands dressage at Swallowfields on the 5th November, doing Prelim 1 and the impossible for him 14. Although there were no nearby fireworks I decided to shut him, Alice and Dim Tim in their barn for the night to be on the safe side, So Ted had the opportunity to be a tad fresh on Saturday morning. He actually seemed a little depressed when I plaited him and I did ask him if he was feeling normal. mind you what is normal for Ted is anyone's guess.

Evidently he was saving his energy for when we got there, it took 3 of us to get the saddle on and it was like dealing with a box of frogs. His rider was quite calm about it all, god knows how and after 2 launches at Ted's back from the mounting block he was on board and I extracted myself from the hedge into which Ted had pushed me.

Ted sprang into the warm up arena like some giant Tigger and piaffed rather impressively. Does the creature not realise there is a difference between Prelim 1 and Prix St George ? With his ever serene rider sitting there in a perfect position it was decided to burn some steam off and let him canter. Other than under his first saddle Ted has never bucked and his rider does have a lot of trust in the horse. The warm up at Swallowfields is large but I must apologise to the lady on the beautifully turned out and elegant spotted horse, lots of bling and patent leather. Sadly Ted does create a lot of wheel spin, turbulence and spray when he is at full feather speeds. A bit of soapy warm water should clean you up.

The wheel spin continued in the test which he completed in around a minute and half and included a canter half pass in the free walk on a long rein. My plea for 'lets go home' was ignored and we returned to the warm up arena to terrorise a few more competitors. Ted was totally unresponsive this time and needed a wee, so off we go up the drive to wee. It is honestly like taking a toddler out at the moment, but he must have listened to some of my threats because he started very nicely in Prelim 14 and got better as it went on, with just one blip in the right canter but he did recover canter quickly and actually did a really nice (for him) test to finish 3rd and persuade me to stop drafting his for sale advert - again.

There are no photographs as I was too busy trying to keep the mobile parachute in the correct position to catch his rider should Ted decide to rocket launch.

007Equestrian

Visit site
I'd just like to chip in that I've read this entire thread over the past week and now have no idea what to do with myself! Ted, Alice, Martha, Tim and your old fellow have taken over my heart and I cannot wait for the next update. You're a brave, patient and inspirational lady and deserve all the success in the world. <3

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I'd just like to chip in that I've read this entire thread over the past week and now have no idea what to do with myself! Ted, Alice, Martha, Tim and your old fellow have taken over my heart and I cannot wait for the next update. You're a brave, patient and inspirational lady and deserve all the success in the world. <3

Ow, I have gone all embarrassed now, thank you and I hope if your were reading all the drivel at work, no one noticed !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The eck ing carthorse will be the end of me. 5pm last night my husband is on the yard before me and calls to tell me that Ted is tired and is flat out on his side in the barn with Alice and Dim Tim watching him.

That behaviour is far from normal for any horse of mine at 5pm onwards, they are all at the gates demanding attention and are used to a fairly constant routine. With colic spinning around my head I get to the yard in a nano second and find my husband hanging nets of haylage up in the barn with Ted still flat out and the other two pulling at the hay.

OMG, think straight, are there any signs of thrashing, don't rush up to him, you can imagine the scene ! 'Ted my lovely, you will be ok mummy is here now' Ted opens one eye sits up does a massive yawn and a fart followed by a sitting down front leg stretch and a heave to his feet, another big stretch and more yawns before ambling over to share a haynet.

I was wrecked, honestly what horse sleeps through teatime !

DiNozzo

Visit site
The eck ing carthorse will be the end of me. 5pm last night my husband is on the yard before me and calls to tell me that Ted is tired and is flat out on his side in the barn with Alice and Dim Tim watching him.

That behaviour is far from normal for any horse of mine at 5pm onwards, they are all at the gates demanding attention and are used to a fairly constant routine. With colic spinning around my head I get to the yard in a nano second and find my husband hanging nets of haylage up in the barn with Ted still flat out and the other two pulling at the hay.

OMG, think straight, are there any signs of thrashing, don't rush up to him, you can imagine the scene ! 'Ted my lovely, you will be ok mummy is here now' Ted opens one eye sits up does a massive yawn and a fart followed by a sitting down front leg stretch and a heave to his feet, another big stretch and more yawns before ambling over to share a haynet.

I was wrecked, honestly what horse sleeps through teatime !

One that is happy and content, and trusts that there will always be food for him! He has forgiven you for the lapse the other day :p

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This is Ted we are talking about!

OK, who sent him the massive tuck box that he has demolished in one go (you know, the one that was supposed to last him all term)?

You have a point, owner has a tendency to demolish a tin of biscuits and have to sleep it off too !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The furry fool is entered for Prelim 19 tomorrow, it will go one of two ways. He will either find the whole balance thing a lot easier in 20x60 or he will find the space useful for more revs and speed.

He has just worked and I have had a text - 'in front of my leg, lovely soft contact, wonderful canter transitions, beautiful leg yield in trot and worked nicely over trot poles seeking my hand. The little horse is a genius'. Well, that is the kiss of death for tomorrow then because he won't see the point in repeat the dose !

He came in this morning and will stay in to keep his feathers clean for tomorrow. I found him a nice amigo stable rug and noticed the label was still on the front, it fits nicely - 7'3". He better stop spreading up and out because I only have one 7'6" rug and I refuse to buy anymore blooming rugs.

Tomorrows antics will be reported asap.