My next equine project horse

007Equestrian

Visit site
The furry fool is entered for Prelim 19 tomorrow, it will go one of two ways. He will either find the whole balance thing a lot easier in 20x60 or he will find the space useful for more revs and speed.

He has just worked and I have had a text - 'in front of my leg, lovely soft contact, wonderful canter transitions, beautiful leg yield in trot and worked nicely over trot poles seeking my hand. The little horse is a genius'. Well, that is the kiss of death for tomorrow then because he won't see the point in repeat the dose !

He came in this morning and will stay in to keep his feathers clean for tomorrow. I found him a nice amigo stable rug and noticed the label was still on the front, it fits nicely - 7'3". He better stop spreading up and out because I only have one 7'6" rug and I refuse to buy anymore blooming rugs.

Tomorrows antics will be reported asap.

Little horse?!?! I have all my limbs crossed for Ted tomorrow :D

View

Visit site
Having heard the weather forecast, I'm sure Ted will be happy to be in tonight. This may work in your favour if he doesn't realise there is an ulterior motive - or it will go horribly wrong if he thinks he has been conned.

The next instalment of Ted's Dressage Tales is eagerly awaited :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Having heard the weather forecast, I'm sure Ted will be happy to be in tonight. This may work in your favour if he doesn't realise there is an ulterior motive - or it will go horribly wrong if he thinks he has been conned.

The next instalment of Ted's Dressage Tales is eagerly awaited :)

Forecast for Worcestershire is cold and clear tomorrow with an awful Sunday. I hope it stays that way because he gets a gale up his rear end it will all end in a heap of one sort or another !

Roxylola

Visit site
I found him a nice amigo stable rug and noticed the label was still on the front, it fits nicely - 7'3". He better stop spreading up and out because I only have one 7'6" rug and I refuse to buy anymore blooming rugs.

Tomorrows antics will be reported asap.
Pretty sure the next size up is "tent"

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Well it was an interesting and bitterly cold morning with Ted setting a record that will probably never be beaten, a near divorce and Alice needing veterinary attention. I have told Alice time and again to stop using fake eyelashes and too much kohl, yet another eye infection, when will the girl learn.

With test times far earlier than anticipated the lorry had to leave at 8.30 and without me as the hunt was around and I needed to settle all the other horses. I was most impressed when the husband agreed to go on the lorry and help Ted's rider until I arrived a little later. We had two on the lorry yesterday and with Ted not 100% tied to the side of the lorry a helper was needed. Husband is not horsey but quite able to hold, throw rugs on etc and knows Ted very well. Ted's travelling companion, Perfect Percy is an old hand and total gentleman so no issues there.

I arrived at Swallowfields to see my husband being towed around the lorry park by Ted with the rider attempting to throw a saddle in the general direction of Ted's back. Ted was a little excited, my husband was rather red in the face and appeared a little lame. With a very terse 'I am going home, give me the car keys' husband limped off in a major grump. I can't see why he was limping really because apparently Ted had stepped on both of his feet, surely that means he should have been sound !

Ted scored 66% in his first long arena test and amassed no fewer than 5 'hurried' comments, impressive or what ! he certainly was in a hurry throughout and perhaps he should have been lining up to take Cue Card on at Ascot rather than the dressage. He managed to keep canter throughout, admittedly the trot, usually his strong point, was abysmal and the walk was a shuffle. One day he will string it all together.

Cooking a roast now to try and save the marriage !

Adopter

Visit site
Poor husband, perhaps some toe protector industrial boots for Xmas, they work for my non horsey husband.

Dressage in winter is always interesting, horses seem to enjoy surprising their riders.

Hope Alice is better soon, and look forward reading about to Ted's next outing

D66

Visit site
You may need to supplement the roast with an apple crumble if Ted steam-rollered both feet. ;)
You will have to explain to Ted the difference between "fastest time" and "optimum time", and that although dressage (technically) requires neither, that the latter is often preferable to the former.

teacups

Visit site
You do have some eventful days out! It sounds as though Ted really enjoyed himself <g>

Hope husband's toes are in recovery - at least it will have got him out a couple of chores too, there's always a bright side! - and ditto Alice's eye.

D66, love your 'fastest' and 'optimum' time explanation. Would like to see Ted's interpretation: of course there is a chance he thinks he was on optimum time and will try fastest now just to see what that might bring.

PorkChop

Visit site
You may need to supplement the roast with an apple crumble if Ted steam-rollered both feet. ;)
You will have to explain to Ted the difference between "fastest time" and "optimum time", and that although dressage (technically) requires neither, that the latter is often preferable to the former.

Brilliant :D

Ted is obviously telling you he wants to be an eventer :p

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My furry little munchkin has finally done it. His first Prelim win, not a great score on 66% but he won and we are all thrilled with him, that was prelim 7 and he was third in Prelim 12 with 65%.

This was at Allenshill this morning. I had to laugh because the dressage was also an event horse training morning with jumping in the adjacent arena, there were some gorgeous young event horses strutting their stuff alongside Ted whose feathers were a bit wayward. One beautiful grey event horse couldn't pass Ted in the chute to the arena, I don't think the poor young horse had ever seen a flying carthorse before.

The judge spoke to us afterwards and was really encouraging.

P1010011_zpsfp4b7m8d.jpg

The engine is engaged but the front end doesn't know what to do with the thrust !

P1010004_zpst35ftu9w.jpg

Can only assume the judge missed this bit !
P1010009_zpsnrozx2w0.jpg

P1010014_zpsecv770xs.jpg

P1010015_zpsun0ke2q3.jpg

P1010002_zps99u9frmy.jpg

SEL

Visit site
woo hoo - well done Ted and humans that's fantastic. I do like watching the big ones do dressage because when it all comes together there is a huge amount of oomph!

My big furry boy gets some goggle eyed looks when young ex-racers turn up for retraining - we definitely desensitise them to cart horses.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Looking at the last picture are you sure there is t a bit of dragon in his breeding? &#65533;&#65533;

He often produces steam from both ends. He is tired this evening and wants the week off. He doesn't know yet but he is having a professional make over on Monday. God help the lovely lady who is coming to do him, hope she has industrial blades and I really hope he accepts a stranger clipping him. I have done a lot of work with him but he could easily produce a large NO to her.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Woooo Ted. Brilliant result. He scrubs up beautifully :) You really have to stop calling him Ted the Twit now. Ted the Talented, it is!

What did Alice think? Did she stamp on his rosette in a fit of pique and jealousy?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Woooo Ted. Brilliant result. He scrubs up beautifully :) You really have to stop calling him Ted the Twit now. Ted the Talented, it is!

What did Alice think? Did she stamp on his rosette in a fit of pique and jealousy?

It is probably time we started to enter him with his passport name, but Ted the Talented sound nice.

Alice is extremely busy, she has her nurse's outfit on, with watch and thermometer of course. She is in charge of looking after her baby brother Dim Tim, who is twice the size of her. He is poorly at the moment and on barn rest. She is being very caring and kind to him. Well, apart from feed time when she is an evil boot and has to be tied up with her 3 pony nuts, 1 apple and a carrot, whilst he eats a decent meal full of antibiotics.

We have woodchip coming for the barn this afternoon, Ted and Alice will be given a shovel, Dim Tim has a sick note stating no heavy duties so he will be excused. I foresee Alice shoving hers up Ted's backside and my husband will be wanting to do the same to me by the time several tonnes have been leveled.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
AA, Ted is looking really stunning, well done to him on his last test :)

I have space on the sofa for you to join me (in hiding) in front of the log burner this afternoon......... saves shovels being placed inappropriately ;)

sasquatch

Visit site
apologies, as I may have missed it somewhere in the thread AA, but what is Ted's official fancy big boy name?

I may have to borrow him from you. For a scientific study into the ratio of feather to nyoom, of course, not for any other reason! Not for any other reason at all :p

{97702}

Visit site
I was honoured to meet all the gang today :) I did make every effort to pop Tim into my lorry to come home with me but unfortunately I was rumbled..... all of them are absolutely gorgeous horses :) :) Leo is just amazing.....wonderful boy....

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Lévrier;13423953 said:
I was honoured to meet all the gang today :) I did make every effort to pop Tim into my lorry to come home with me but unfortunately I was rumbled..... all of them are absolutely gorgeous horses :) :) Leo is just amazing.....wonderful boy....

Thank you, it was lovely to meet you. I hope Leo's saddle takes you to the dizzy heights it took him. It was hard to let it go but the furry fool is never going to be the shape to carry a jaguar saddle. I am sure I will see you at Hartpury in the future when Ted is established enough to compete there. Wishing you and your lovely horse luck and success in the future with a very special saddle.

It took all afternoon to rectify the mess Leo made having his hooley. At 24 he is a shadow of his former self but he certainly gave you an idea of what he was ! Here is one of my favourite pictures of him. He never did beat Loughern Dancing Lord and Robert Oliver, we stood reserve to him in many hunter championships.

Home1-720x0_zpsedlskkvd.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is official, all the money, blood, sweat, tears and patience have been so worth it.

Took the furry star to a new venue today, prelim 17 long arena indoors. Fabulous venue but the outdoor brand new surface was frozen solid. He walked around it once and was very worried doing tiny walk steps and that horrid petrified look in his eye that we haven't seen for a long while. So back to the lorry we go and a debate is held.

Take him home or stand him on the truck for 45 minutes and go in cold. New venue, young tricky horse who had not been ridden since Tuesday and had spent the entire week locked in a barn keeping his poorly friend company. Common sense went out of the window and we decided to trust him.

65%, not a moment of trouble and perfect manners. It is a tricky test beyond his capabilities but he is easier to ride in the long arena so if we find one we try to take him. He broke canter in half 20m circle but regained it nicely without doing his Shire Horse running trot. He was 3rd with 9 in the class and just 4 marks behind the winner and we are so proud of him. There can't be many 5 year olds that will come straight off the truck at a new venue and just get on with the job, especially with the issues he has had.

We celebrated with a bag of chips and chatted about BD registration next year, regionals............nationals.............., well day dreaming is harmless isn't it.

Adopter

Visit site
I look forward to seeing Ted at the Heavy Horse Championships next year. It was a treat this year seeing all the flying feathers!

He certainly is getting to know how to put on a show at party time. Well done to all.

View

Visit site
Team Ted rocks!

What a good lad he is, and well done you and the rest of the team for listening to him and working with him at his pace. This just showed how much it has paid off.

Something tells me that he is definitely on Santa's good boy list (at the moment, anyway).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Team Ted rocks!

Something tells me that he is definitely on Santa's good boy list (at the moment, anyway).

Santa came early. He now owns his very own proper rug. a bright red Shires Combi layered rug. He is under strict instructions that should my husband ask him how long he has had it the answer is years. He also has a second hand Mark Todd turnout but he is not keen on it as it is bright pink and he is far too manly to wear pink, that is an Alice colour.

His rider does have an Albion Platinum Ultima dressage saddle that, rumour has it, might be adjusted to fit a certain furry star. Saddle is worth more than the horse if that happens ! the thought of Ted crashing and burning in that saddle worries me, but hopefully those days have gone for ever.