Name one thing every tack room has....

Visit site
...which they don't need. ;)
Following on from the 'wishlist' thread, figured we need a throwaway thread too.
So, what item(s) do you have in your tackroom that you keep meaning to get rid of, but never do?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
there seems to be 20 thousand lunge whips in ours. And we aren't allowed to lunge in the school. So... utterly useless :rolleyes3:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tidy pile of feed sacks, waiting for bonfire
Old Wellie and jodh boots, they are there just in case....
Old anoraks and ski jackets that I can't bear to part with, again, just in case...
Bygone years rosettes

Just a few things that ought to go!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
The old manky headcollar that you keep in case one breaks.

Ancient worn down hoof picks where the hook is 1/2" long.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Knackered old rugs and 6.2 million yards of baking twinge (My friend has a serious baking twine hoarding issue)

ETA: Was going to change the autocorrect but have decided baking twinge is fun 😂😂😂😂😂

NLPM

Visit site
Old bits that were all used many, many years ago in a flurry of 'seeing what works', discarded after a few rides but kept anyway, survived the last clearout ('could be useful one day'), even though none of them fit any of the current horses on the yard...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Saddles!

We are down to 2 horses now and it is highly unlikely that we will ever have any more. Their saddles (3 between them!) are kept in the house for security reasons, yet we still have 10 saddles, plus a side-saddle in the tack room. Also driving harness x2 for horses that are long gone 'over the bridge'.

Shooting Star

Visit site
Sets of plain reins - I swear they must be rubber reins than have shed their skins as I don’t use them so no idea why I’ve got even one set let alone multiples!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Saddles!

We are down to 2 horses now and it is highly unlikely that we will ever have any more. Their saddles (3 between them!) are kept in the house for security reasons, yet we still have 10 saddles, plus a side-saddle in the tack room. Also driving harness x2 for horses that are long gone 'over the bridge'.

I came to say this ^ :D
Every tack room has at least one ancient saddle that hasn't been reflocked or cleaned in about 20 years and doesn't fit anything on the yard but is there 'just in case'.

Apart from that...old rusty shoes that have been found long after they were lost.
And that black super sticky stuff that spills everywhere given half the chance. I have no idea what it is but if it gets on fabric you can't get it off!

millikins

Visit site
The old manky headcollar that you keep in case one breaks.

Ancient worn down hoof picks where the hook is 1/2" long.

How do you keep track of a hoofpick long enough to wear it down? Mine all go to the same mysterious place with the tea spoons :)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
How do you keep track of a hoofpick long enough to wear it down? Mine all go to the same mysterious place with the tea spoons :)

I don't manage to keep track of them. I've bought hundreds over the years..... But I can always find the useless worn down one that was used to scrape the weeds from between the paving slabs!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've got 2 bag fulls of old bridle parts. The thinking was that if we ever bought a pony that didn't come with a bridle I could make one up out of spare parts.

Needless to say I've never used any of them and they are proper mouldy now.

pennyturner

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one that keeps all the bridle parts, single reins and 'spare' head-collars.
In addition, I like to keep (hoard?!) various ancient bits and pieces which are 'too interesting' to throw away.

My favourite is an early 20thc pack saddle. Would love to hear from any museum that might be interested - it takes up rather a lot of space.

henmother

Visit site
Dead animals, thanks yard cats . Mice of different varieties , small birds , baby birds. Worst one is when they bring in baby rabbits with half their head eaten away, should be grateful they're at least dead and not screaming . :(
I once found a mummified stoat curled up in a clean bagged rug !

eggs

Visit site
A very old tub of Cornucrescine that got squashed when a horse trod on it and it is probably all dried up and useless but I haven't looked inside

Various ointments/lotions that the label has come off so I have no idea what they are

A 5 litre container of Gallop horse shampoo that has about 3 ml in the bottom of it

My first pony's old nylon string girth (he was 13.2 my horses are all 16.1 plus so no chance of it fitting)

Far too many pieces of old bridles, stirrup leathers, etc

Plus loads of other stuff that 'might come in useful' one day

oops, just realised I was only supposed to name one thing - in that case take the last item on my list

Last edited:

jj_87

Visit site
an old wooden twitch... never needed but just in case!
Cobwebs and spiders! Currently also have a long tailed field mouse who makes appearances too!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
The tack room where I ride has an ancient gumball vending machine and a shelf full of velvet covered hard hats to suit children of four to six years old... from the days when there were Shetlands at the yard.

Steerpike

Visit site
A box full of fillet strings and clips, buckles off rugs, always think they will be useful or will eventually be put back on mended rug but years later still in box.