Need to vent - sorry - farrier late again!

claribella

Visit site
I can see both sides. It I the nature of the job but like others have said, text wouldn't hurt. Hed sure b miffed if the next time he turned up late, you been nd gone. You prob get charged for not bing here too. Mine is always on time except for last time whereby and hour went so I txt him and he said he was way behind so wouldn't make it. Yes it shouldn't hav been m doin the chasin but he's too good to loose. I look a his history with me and think I'd b silly to make a fuss.

BBH

Visit site
OMG he's really done it this time - a whole hour late - and no call or text contact either until I started to chase him up. Quite honestly if he wasn't so good and didn't do a group discount, I'd be looking for someone else. This is the third time this year that he's been late - and on one occasion he didn't manage to make it at all and I had to re-book.

Anyone else have the same trouble?

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get him to me on time? I'm usually first call of the day, so it's not as if he's been on other yards chatting for ages.

I haven't read other posts but I dropped a farrier because I got so sick of his not turning up, not ringing to say he wasn't coming or if he did come it was hours later.

Only when I had a replacement lined up though ;)

sandi_84

Visit site
Take it from someone who does calls and visits people as part of their job, keeping time is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

You may think your the only person who wants him to be on time, but so did the last person, however the person before that dragged two trims and a loose shoe out for him to do without booking in, he's too nice to say no.

He also was stopped by road works for 10 minuets and his phone hasn't stopped bleeping and ringing since 5.30 am. Its now nearly lunchtime, he hasn't had breakfast, brunch but has had endless cups of coffee and really needs a PEE!!!

Your not his only client, he is invaluable to your horses soundness, and by god if he does a decent job give him a smile and wish him well!!

Or get him to come to you first, I bet he is never late to his first call!!! :p

My OH is a farrier and this is literally his day! ^ :eek: except he starts at 6am usually ;) And he definitely has to put up with what someone else said about naughty horses making a straightforward job take 3 times as long/ naughty owners don't have their horses in (the amount of times he's had to catch in for people! :eek:) or say "oh while you're here, would you mind just shoeing Dobbin for me... oh and Neddie could do with a trim/has an abcess/ loose shoe, would you take a look"

Tbh yes he should call or txt to say he's running late but you know when you're stressed and rushed for time? Sometimes the important (polite) things to do just go out the window unfortunately :cool: The main thing for me here is that you say he's doing a spot on job, would you trade that for a farrier who is always on time but does a rubbish job?

Can you not get him to come in on your day off instead of getting him out on a day you are working? That way you aren't pushed for time and if he is running late it's not the end of the world coz it's your day off ;)

ETA: Also practically every day there is at least one emergency call out!

Last edited:

3OldPonies

Visit site
Sandi84 - I do take your point, but I only get the average office person's allowance for leave so taking time off for every farrier's appointment isn't totally feasible - I wish that it were and then these problems wouldn't arise. I totally get your point about being on time v being rubbish. The last farrier I used was like that and I left him for this guy who is still sorting out the left over problems. A year and a bit later and I am seriously starting to wonder whether the mini shetties fronts will ever be normal again.

In fact usually I wouldn't even complain about the lateness, it's just that this is the third time on the trot and I needed to vent some of my annoyance cos it's driving me blimmin nuts!!!!

sandi_84

Visit site
Sandi84 - I do take your point, but I only get the average office person's allowance for leave so taking time off for every farrier's appointment isn't totally feasible - I wish that it were and then these problems wouldn't arise. I totally get your point about being on time v being rubbish. The last farrier I used was like that and I left him for this guy who is still sorting out the left over problems. A year and a bit later and I am seriously starting to wonder whether the mini shetties fronts will ever be normal again.

In fact usually I wouldn't even complain about the lateness, it's just that this is the third time on the trot and I needed to vent some of my annoyance cos it's driving me blimmin nuts!!!!

Absolutely, I do get it as it must be highly frustrating for you :( What I mean is can you not book in on one of your days off - not a holiday day but one of your bog standard non work days. I'm assuming you work 5 days a week so like you could maybe book him in for a saturday?

Hetsmum

Visit site
I have used the same farrier for over 15 years. I can count on one hand the number of times he has been even 10 mins late...and he travels a serious distance! But then if someone said to him "can you just trim so and so whilst you're here" he would only do it if he was ahead of time and never risk upsetting his clients by being late. I too would be very annoyed if someone was late 3 times in a row! The rest of us do have a life and other commitments! Vets being late I accept....however mine will always get the office to call and say if they are over half an hour late. Farriers.....my rule would be 3 strikes and your out.

Nicnac

Visit site
If your farrier comes every 6 weeks, that's 8 times a year so 4 days holiday in total to take 1/2 day holiday for each visit. Not a huge number.

If it's such a big deal change your farrier as you aren't going to change his ways!

pottamus

Visit site
It is an interesting one because generally we seem to take it as a given that farriers, by their nature of job may be late. That is fine but in most other sectors or industries it really is expected to call and mention this before turning up whenever the time is that you get there.
I find this a bit odd really and always have done. I am self employed and would loose contracts before they started if I was late, never mind not ringing to forewarn my client.
It seems to be acceptable in some sectors and not in others. We are a bit beholden to our farriers though and I wonder if that has a lot to do with it??

3OldPonies

Visit site
The only non working days for me are also non working days for him. But never mind - I'm calming down a bit now.

4 days leave just to wait for a farrier is 4 days too many in my book. Fair enough the odd 1/2 day isn't going to hurt, but take 4 out plus a few for vets appts (have to take a whole day to benefit from free visit days) and the annual leave soon disappears. I know that might make me seem a little stingy with my days off, but I really don't get as many as some people, even here in this office and to get more I would have to sacrifice some salary which would them mean an even bigger sob story for my boyz. I need all the pennies I can get to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed; and even that is far from grand, more a case of making the most of what we have.

sandi_84

Visit site
The only non working days for me are also non working days for him. But never mind - I'm calming down a bit now.

4 days leave just to wait for a farrier is 4 days too many in my book. Fair enough the odd 1/2 day isn't going to hurt, but take 4 out plus a few for vets appts (have to take a whole day to benefit from free visit days) and the annual leave soon disappears. I know that might make me seem a little stingy with my days off, but I really don't get as many as some people, even here in this office and to get more I would have to sacrifice some salary which would them mean an even bigger sob story for my boyz. I need all the pennies I can get to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed; and even that is far from grand, more a case of making the most of what we have.

Does he not work saturdays? What about flexi-time? If you could do flexi hours for farrier visits you can bank up a half day over a few weeks.

rachel_s

Visit site
Why should she take leave - it doesn't matter whether she gets the minimum or masses? She may shockingly have non- horse related plans for her leave such as holidays. She may compete and want to use it.

I'm stunned by this thread - it is 2013, there are loads of professions/ occupations that have similar issues and somehow manage to be professional. And if some farriers can do it, then so can the others.

I personally think there are some good farriers, but the profession as a whole needs a massive overhaul in terms of addressing performance.

Clodagh

Visit site
My farrier is always punctual, and if he is going to be more than 30 mins late he texts me, a text takes seconds, I don't expect a chatty one. Professionalism is all.

Finlib

Visit site
My farrier is brilliant .I always book my next appointment 6 weeks on for my 4 horses .
(one only has front the other 3 are full sets)
He always phones the night before to confirm the appointment and check if anything extra is needed .
I am always first appointment at 7am .
I always have the horses in with clean hooves .He shoes in our massive American barn the horse are tied up outside their stables in the dry.It has floodlights and is warm and dry,
Coffee is always made for him when he wants it.
He always says he loves coming to me as he knows whatever the weather he can work in the clean and dry.
Look after your farrier and he looks after you.
If I need him for a lost shoe or foot problem he turns out even at weekends .

BWa

Visit site
I don't take a day off for the farrier, the horse is in for the day and he just comes and gets on with him without me. If I need to tell him something I leave him a note with the details and money and if it's more complicated I ask him to ring when he is there. We are all happy with the situation.

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Rachel s, I'm totally with you on this one. Why should carriers be any different from any other profession? I have sacked off a farrier for lack of punctuality (actually, more not bothering to turn up at all) so I don't think the op is unreasonable. My current farrier is very punctual, usually early than late,and if he is there before the agreed time, catches my horse and has her trimmed in no time! He rang me last time to say he was going to be 10 mins late too. What is so difficult about that?!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Gawd, you'd hate my farrier then. In 7 years I think there's only been 4 or 5 times when he hasn't rung me to say can I come a day / couple of days earlier / later. Or he's held up and will be a couple of hours late. Doesn't bother me in slightest. I know he would never leave her more than 48hrs past her due date and if there has been a few times when I've said it's inconvenient (lesson or comp booked) he knocks some off the bill :)

He covers from Cheshire to Glos to Herts etc so there's always going to be some sort of problem somewhere which causes a delay.

Dubsie

Visit site
I've experienced both extremes, one who was always late/didn't turn up and current farrier who is fab. He rings an hour or so before he's due with an eta, which is never more than an hour earlier or later than the booked time. We do try to be helpful for the farrier and fit in with the rest of the road - the lady with the TB with the poor feet always lets us know when he's coming (frequently) and we all fit in on a day they're coming to our road anyway (mine are just trims so less frequent). We get texted by the yards as the farrrier comes along the road so when he arrives they're in and ready. I think this must certainly help the farrier keep to time, and make it more efficient and profitable for him too.

Arabelle

Visit site
My vet and my farrier are usually (if fact, just about always) punctual.

Therefore, I do not understand how other vet and farriers can use 'its the nature of the job' as an excuse for repeated lateness. They do the same job as the people I use, who manage to be on time, so it is obviously just an excuse for poor timekeeping.

Everyone would accept a one-off lateness for an emergency, but that is not what we are talking about here.

My vet & farrier are both highly skilled professionals and they behave professionally. I did not realise until read this thread quite how unusual that is.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've just changed my farrier. 5 years of excuses and tall stories, sometimes a text and sometimes he's not bothered, I've had enough. I get the "Hour late" bit, but the fact that every single first-appointment that I can ever remember, has been broken, with often a gap of a week, or even longer, that's every single one, and there's always a life emergency; his Granddad's died (twice), he's a mare with colic, foaling, dead or whatever, there's a relative who's just jumped under a bus, the list goes on and on.

I previously warned him that I was less than amused, and was given profuse apologies. Did it change anything? No, which is a pity, because he's a competent tradesman, and where he really shone is when he's with un-handled youngsters. With youngsters he's quiet, tolerant and efficient, and I've never heard him raise his voice, even when he's had reason to. I also like the bloke, which is why he lasted as long as he did!!

I've now engaged a man who's previously attended to our horses, and whilst he's expensive, he's a first class remedial farrier, he's prompt and well organised, he's generally got student farriers with him, and the pride he takes in his work, is obvious.

Being a competent tradesman isn't a good enough excuse for gross inefficiency. If a farrier can't get round his customers on a planned for daily basis, then the answer is to plan for realistic appointments, rather than expecting the customer to put up with sloppy customer-care. Some wont put up with it.

Alec.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
Sorry but I agree farriers cant always know what's going to happen in a day. Like last week fox lost a shoe and I was told the farrier was coming for another livery so I text him to see if he could pop Fox's shoe back on. He said that was fine and arrived EARLY and got the job done. However he didn't have these other 2 at my yard booked in and the owner thought it was a different farrier so my farrier then had 2 surprise full sets of shoes to do. He did moan as he said it threw his day up in the air now and would be running late all day.

So tthink of it this way. Maybe he doesn't have time to look at his phone maybe he's doing these horses then jumping in his van and zooming off to his next appointment since hes already late. Yes I understand where you are coming from but try to be understanding to your farrier. If you are that unhappy change farrier, he's not going to be the only good farrier in your area

Farcical1

Visit site
My farrier is always on time, if not a little early. He always brings Polos for the horses, so gets a big whinny from them all when he walks in the barn. He has also been known to give them a kiss on the nose.

Kenzo

Visit site
It's frustrating but they all seem to be maxed out with work, agree they should at least call you to let you know specially when you are running to a time slot, my farrier can be 3 days late let alone a few hours but I also have remember there is give and take on both sides, they will bob to replace shoes very quickly sometimes and not charge and do them when I'm at work, so in spite of that, I can't really moan too much.
They will always at some be running late, nature of the job unfortunately.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
My farrier is always early, and has only ever not turned up twice in twenty years, once because of the death of a close family member and once because he was hospitalised. He always explains what he is doing and why and is happy to answer questions. (And my horses have stayed sound).

I hope he doesn't read this thread, I'd hate him to think it was ok to behave like some of the farriers described! I feel so lucky.

ETA: But I have known him turn down someone who needed their horse shod and hadn't booked because it would make him late for his next appointment.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Sandi84 - no he doesn't work Saturdays and flexi-time with my employer is simply not an option and tbh I don't really see why I am justifying my worklife balance on here - all I ever intended to do was have a rant, let off some steam and see what other people's views, suggestions and experiences are/were.

It would appear that whilst I do have a good farrier, from other peoples experiences he could be doing a bit better in terms of presenting his business professionally, i.e. contacting clients when he knows he is running late. It would also appear that some people are more prepared than I am to put up with continual lateness - well quite simply that is their choice and good luck to them for having the patience and time to do so. I guess that is the way of the world - we can't all be identical ;)

Oh and btw - publicly thanks to the people who PM'd me - I really do appreciate your suggestions and thoughtfulness.

sandi_84

Visit site
Sandi84 - no he doesn't work Saturdays and flexi-time with my employer is simply not an option and tbh I don't really see why I am justifying my worklife balance on here - all I ever intended to do was have a rant, let off some steam and see what other people's views, suggestions and experiences are/were.

It would appear that whilst I do have a good farrier, from other peoples experiences he could be doing a bit better in terms of presenting his business professionally, i.e. contacting clients when he knows he is running late. It would also appear that some people are more prepared than I am to put up with continual lateness - well quite simply that is their choice and good luck to them for having the patience and time to do so. I guess that is the way of the world - we can't all be identical ;)

Oh and btw - publicly thanks to the people who PM'd me - I really do appreciate your suggestions and thoughtfulness.

I wasn't having a go at you, I was just trying to help by suggesting other things. ETA: I just had a wee look over my other 2 posts and I can't see anything I said that was offensive? I was honestly trying to be helpful.

Last edited:

Mince Pie

Visit site
I can understand the OP's frustration, if she always has the first appointment of the day then the "previous client ran on a bit" excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Sandi84 - I never said that you were being offensive, it's just that you did seem to keep returning to the same subject, i.e. that I should be taking time off to make sure I had the time to hang around for a person that seems to be unable to meet his obligation to his customer. It just felt like I was getting a bit of a hounding for not pandering to his lateness.

Hopefully we can draw a line under this one?

sandi_84

Visit site
Sandi84 - I never said that you were being offensive, it's just that you did seem to keep returning to the same subject, i.e. that I should be taking time off to make sure I had the time to hang around for a person that seems to be unable to meet his obligation to his customer. It just felt like I was getting a bit of a hounding for not pandering to his lateness.

Hopefully we can draw a line under this one?

I know you didn't say I was being offensive but it seems like you're getting mad at me when I was actually just trying to help as it seems like it's a case of put up with it or change farriers. Since you say he's a good farrier I was working with the thought that if you kept him how you could work round his lateness