new girl on the yard (sorry its long!)

BSJAlove

Visit site
we keep our horses at a friends yard. it only has 10 stables and is bog standard. turned out in groups with one individual paddock. and thats it. there are about 7 owners and we are all close and do each other favours and really get on.

friend has brought on a new livery (G). we dont know anything about her. however from the month she has been here. we have pretty much gathered shes not confident and lacks experiance. now in order to get the horses out of their fields and to the stables, they have to go through our field. its not an ideal set up but our boys generally stay away and no one has had any trouble.

G approched me and my mum to ask if she could put the horses in the barn when she gets her horse off as she says she cant bring her horse off without them going mad - the barn is their field shelter and it has a gate attached - we said thats ok, so long as you dont forget to let them back out again. to be fair, the set up isnt ideal and the horse is new so our boys are bound to try and introduce them selves. we made sure to tell her its only tempary as she uses hay to get them in there and with one being a lamanitic, we have to moniter what he eats. we nearly lost him last year and we wont be going through that again! we made this clear and she said no probs. anyway, a month down the line, we have found out she brings her horse in 3x a day and is giving the boys a big bucket of food each time and leaves them in there until she has ridden and put her back. to us, this really isnt on. so mum spoke to G today who refused to understand and said it wasnt on that she had to lead her horse through our field.

can someone please tell us if we are over reacting? we said hay and shes been giving haylage and buckets of food. and we said turn them out asap and shes been leaving them in with no water for 2 or 3 hours at a time. and this goes on at least 2 x a day. G saw the yard before she moved here, it was explained that she would be having to lead through our field and all the arrangments. her horse is lovely and a really quiet softie. we know full well the horse will lead through the field no probs with the boys in the field but as shes nervous we did her a favour.

we are a lovely bunch of people and are willing to help but we wont force ourselves on her and pile her up with advice. we just feel as if she is going to create loads of problems as she refuses to take in what we tell her. she Cant feed our cob hard feed. its a big no. but shes still doing it. spoken to YO who said if it carries on he will say something but he is a farmer and has a huge working farm and generally we sort the yard out ourselves. how do we go on from here and are we being stupid??

ETA: when i say boys, there are two. both cobs, both well mannerd and we have never had any problems with them re leading through the field in the 10 years they have been there!

Last edited:

juliette

Visit site
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all!

One suggestion, could you electric fence a path off along the edge of your field so she can lead down that and leave your horses alone? If it is a possiblity I would suggest she does this at her own cost.

devilinajar

Visit site
If i was you, i would try to explain to again about the lami cob, and if she refuses to listen, tell her she can pay the huge vet bill. Im sure that will make her listen. Unfortunatly some people just dont have a clue!!!

BSJAlove

Visit site
thank you. i just wanted reasurance we are not being unreasonable. we have suggested putting a fence up and even offered our electric fencing to use but she didnt want to put it up. its slightly petty but we feel like its been the way on the yard for years and if she wants to change it, she sould put up the fence. it might be the only option we have left so i guess we would have to do that. :eek: its not ideal as it means we will have to bucket water as the only way we could do it would mean blocking off their water suply.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
Is there anyway you can 'tape' off a lane by the hedge/fence for her to get her horse out through so that she doesn't directly have to go through field?
I would be very angry and she would have been told to grow up and stop being so daft am afraid, as its a month on and likely hood is horses wouldn't bat an eyelid now... :rolleyes:

juliette

Visit site
Also thought, could you give her some lessons in leading and getting her horse in and out your field to show how easy it is? May be that she is just inexperienced.

Also, if you can't make an electric fence path up the field, could you put some around your gate so that she has the security of getting her horse into an area that she can secure before she opens the gate, she might be scared that she is going to lose your horses when she opens the gate?

Agree that you need to stress that she will make your horses ill if she continues with the excessive feeding.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
we made sure to tell her its only tempary as she uses hay to get them in there and with one being a lamanitic, we have to moniter what he eats. we nearly lost him last year and we wont be going through that again! we made this clear and she said no probs.

we said hay and shes been giving haylage and buckets of food. and we said turn them out asap and shes been leaving them in with no water for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

Hmm. Could you offer to help her lead her horse through the field (with her there) a few times so that she can see that the cobs wont cause trouble? Then be with her as she does it a few times? If you can build up her confidence, so that she can eventually do this on her own with the cobs loose, that would be the best solution for everybody.

Make it clear to her that she no longer has permission to feed the cobs anything due to the laminitus. Say one had a laminitic twinge and that you are willing to help her but the current situation (the food in the barn) is not to continue.

BSJAlove

Visit site
i really would love to give her some lessons or just lead the horse to the field to show her nothing will happen. but she refuses help. boys honestly dont care anymore but she will call them from the top of the field where they would be out the way, to the barn to give them food. so now, when ever she walks on the field, they automaticly surround her thinking 'has she got food??' (both being cobs, they are ruled by their tummies :) ) so she is creating more problems TBH. i think we are just going to have to create a fence and bucket water to our boys. it also means the barn would be sectioned off so they wouldnt have shelter (both live out 24/7) which is annoying but hey hoe. they are both hardy enough to live :)

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
No, you are not overreacting at all, I would be absolutely raging!!!!!!!!!!!! U need to tell her she is putting your horses life in danger, if she is inexperienced she maybe hasnt grasped the severity of laminitis. Also, the taping off a passageway is a great idea, i dont like the thought of inexperienced folk being in charge of my horses welfare incase they escape etc.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Say that you will fence off a path for her until the weather gets worse and your boys need the shelter. I bucket water for mine at the moment and I can't wait until they are moved into the field with the water trough. Don't let her think that the path will be permanent or you will have her making a huge fuss if you do need to take it away.

Steorra

Visit site
You are being more than reasonable, and far more reasonable than I would be. She would be told in no uncertain terms that feeding a laminitic a bucket of hard feed was unacceptable and potentially lethal.

That said, it seems that the problem that she has leading her horse through your field needs to be addressed. In what sense is she having difficulties? It may be that she needs you to demonstrate how to deal with your horses, maybe electric fencing might be the way forward if she really can't cope.

How do you know that she is bringing her horse in 3 times a say and feeding yours each time? Are you sure? I ask because sometimes people in yards stir etc, not because I don't believe you. But if you are sure, I'd take her to one side and be absolutely clear that she is not to feed your horse, ever, because he is a laminitic and the consequences could be tragic.

I hope you find a way to sort this out, in sure you'll be more tactful than I would!

BSJAlove

Visit site
In what sense is she having difficulties? It may be that she needs you to demonstrate how to deal with your horses, maybe electric fencing might be the way forward if she really can't cope.

How do you know that she is bringing her horse in 3 times a say and feeding yours each time? Are you sure? I ask because sometimes people in yards stir etc, not because I don't believe you. But if you are sure, I'd take her to one side and be absolutely clear that she is not to feed your horse, ever, because he is a laminitic and the consequences could be tragic.

i think shes having difficulties becuase the first few times she brought the horse off the field (this is when she first arrived) the boys galloped down to 'meet' the new horse and her horse sniffed one of the boys and squeeled and threw her leg up and it caught G in the leg. ever since that, she wants the boys away. i do understand her point. she didnt know our cobs and it can be quite scary. but now they have all met and speak over the fence. they really dont care.

we know she is bringing hers in 3 x a day because we go up there twice and both times they were in the barn and one of the other liverys texted us earlier in the day to say she had forgotten to turn the boys out so she had done it for her. im not 100% that they are getting a bucket each time. but they certainly get one a day (one more then my cob needs) and she uses haylage which is another big no for him. i think we have pretty much decided to put up a fence. its not fair on us as that means for one person, we have to lose our shelter and water suply but if she refuses to stop feeding him. we dont have much choice. :eek:

ScarlettLady

Visit site
re the 'lane' thought, could you create it so that horses can get to shelter when its not required? ie. tying back a section of tape over night/ throughout day, so horses are only restricted to 1 section of field as she is bringing her horse in and out?!
sorry that might make no sense at all..... :rolleyes:

babymare

Visit site
sorry but you have been nice and helpful now stern words - no way should your horses be with out shlter no way should they be fed food they shouldnt have- i have so much time to help novice owners BUT i can not cope with people who dont listen or want to learn and on my yard its rife - sorry i would have strong words cause if was my Babymare any feed would tip her over to laminitic - sorry words needed - help as well if she wil accept but its a no no shutting or fencing your boys off

juliette

Visit site
I agree with above, if you could create a path, but have sections where she can take the tape across when she needs the path and put back when she doesn't, then your horses should be able to access the water and shelter. Would leave a bucket or two of water in strategic places in case she forgets to open them up. You'd just need a lot of electric tape handles!! We use different colours to make it quicker, blue for top strand, black for bottom, amazing how much it helps!

Good luck

BSJAlove

Visit site
I would be annoyed too. Do I know her?! :p

you might do. ill facebook you lovely.

thats a good idea about opening it up and shutting it when she needs to bring her horse off. i cant beleive i didnt think of that myself!! only problem i can see is that she would still have to get the horses out of the walk way if they are in there. and that means food and if she forgets to open it back up then again, they would be left wihtout water. Argh stress
:( i think ill be having words with YO and sorting out this electric fence.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com

thats a good idea about opening it up and shutting it when she needs to bring her horse off. i cant beleive i didnt think of that myself!! only problem i can see is that she would still have to get the horses out of the walk way if they are in there. and that means food and if she forgets to open it back up then again, they would be left wihtout water. Argh stress

Well, maybe if they are used to her bringing food then they would follow her into the taped off section and she could just give them a polo or something each. I would also say to her that she cannot leave your horses without water whilst she rides so could she please make sure there is at least a bucket of water in the taped off section to last whilst she is gone.

ETA: Or you could give Rupert to me and then she'd only have one pony to worry about. ;)

ScarlettLady

Visit site
doesn't have to mean food though.... only in her poor little world! In my eyes it would mean a headcollar or just a leadrope....
I'd just tell her that if she doesn't stop feeding them A. your lami horse will become seriously ill and she can pay vets bill
B. your horses will become aggressive and then she'll have created 2 monsters... (although if anything like my 2 wouldn't hurt a fly!!):rolleyes:

Gosh I sound like a cow.... This is why I have my horses at home now and not on a yard! No one else can do it right! lol :cool:

juliette

Visit site

Just have the tape so that most of the path is there all the time but closed off by the tape at each end so that your horses can't access it, but can pass through channel to get to water/shelter. If you are careful with the positioning she can take the tape from the end and move it across the channel to let her horse through and then close it immediately, which will reopen the channel and prevent your horses accompanying her. Difficult to explain what i mean on here.... does that make sense?!

BSJAlove

Visit site
doesn't have to mean food though.... only in her poor little world! In my eyes it would mean a headcollar or just a leadrope....
I'd just tell her that if she doesn't stop feeding them A. your lami horse will become seriously ill and she can pay vets bill
B. your horses will become aggressive and then she'll have created 2 monsters... (although if anything like my 2 wouldn't hurt a fly!!):rolleyes:

Gosh I sound like a cow.... This is why I have my horses at home now and not on a yard! No one else can do it right! lol :cool:

have mentioned to use his head collar but if im not at the yard when she is, i cant stop her using food and its Really annoying. and yep sound just like your two :D they are extreamly people and horse friendly and they would both do handstand to get food ;)

Holly, i will pop him in the post. although theres no need. ill walk him over tomorrow ;)

ScarlettLady

Visit site
Just have the tape so that most of the path is there all the time but closed off by the tape at each end so that your horses can't access it, but can pass through channel to get to water/shelter. If you are careful with the positioning she can take the tape from the end and move it across the channel to let her horse through and then close it immediately, which will reopen the channel and prevent your horses accompanying her. Difficult to explain what i mean on here.... does that make sense?!

This sounds much better than what i was thinking, guessing you mean having 2 strands of fence to create the lane, and having it closed at one end.... ie. like a little box in your horses field when its not used....
OP argh sounds like she needs a slap to me! bringing back down to reality instead of cuckoo land!! :mad: sorry also someone like this on my yard unfortunately its family so cannot do or say anything :mad:

Dubsie

Visit site
If you have the path like this

__________ ____________________ __________
__________l l____________________l l__________

when she wants to open it up as a path she can put the l bits one across each side so you have

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Could you get the YO to move the water, so a slice of field could be fenced off as a passage?

Could you swop fields round so that hers are at the front and you lead through hers, as you're more confident?

devilwoman

Visit site
Personally it sounds like she can't be trusted to open the fence back up and I frankly think you are being extremely reasonable, I know I for one wouldn't let my horses risk going without their shelter to accomodate someone who is not willing to accept help from anyone. I appreciate she is nervous but if i'm worried about something i'm doing i'll ask for help (even after having horses for 30 years, i'm never ashamed to ask for help or advice) so I would be informing her in no uncertain terms that the horses are no longer to be locked in the barn, the "initial fuss" has now settled she is perfectly safe to lead her horse through my field and if she requires any help to be shown how to do so safely I will help her, otherwise please feel free to do it yourself just make sure you close and secure the gate properly on your way in and out please :D Good luck

Millyard Rejects

Visit site
Is this girl over 16? If shes younger then I suggest a word with parents? but You say she was brought to your yard by another person? could they have a word with her?
Id certainly not be able to keep quiet over her feeding a lami horse. My sister had a lecture from me on her tbxid mare who was obscenly overweight and lame with lami symptoms and was told in no uncertain terms that if she continued the way she was it would kill her horse. Said horse is on a diet and is sound! sister still speaks to me though!
but you may have to be very blunt with her, but deffo speak to the yo and get their help if possible!! :)

ecarylloh

Visit site
I would be fuming! Think you're being very reasonable indeed with her! I'd tell her that she's the one turning your horses into trouble by feeding them constantly, and say that if she continues to feed them hard food and haylage then she will be getting a letter from your solicitor claiming vets fees (bit strong, I know, and hopefully you wouldn't need to follow up on it, but I think the words 'lawyer' and 'solicitor' tend to make people listen when they haven't previously).

I think you're very kind to offer to help her. If it were me (and I can be very mean) I would tell her that if she can't cope with leading her horse through two other perfectly normal horses then she should go back to riding school and not be a horse owner.

(Also - riding twice a day? Does anyone else find that odd from someone who sounds like she doesn't even compete?)

Apercrumbie

Visit site
You are not being unreasonable at all. In fact, I think you're being far too reasonable. You should have seen me lose it when someone tried to tell me that my shetland was getting thin. I refuse to let that pony get laminitic so in Summer, I try to keep him slightly underweight if anything.

While I think the electric corridor idea is good, I don't think she can be trusted to put the tape back which is obviously unacceptable. I agree that she sounds young - can you talk to a parent? I do really sympathise with her with regards to her fear but feeding your boys is simply unacceptable. Talk to her again, really drive the laminitus home and tell her in simple terms that she will have to pay the vets fees. If she still continues to feed hard feed and haylage, either make a corridor or kick up a huge fuss. You have to put your horses first, even if it involves upsetting a few people. I'm not proud with how I spoke to the person who critised me for restricting my shetland's grazing, but I know what's best for him and I have seen too many laminitics who are in awful pain.