New hat standards ARGHH

Skib

sites.google.com
My HS1 has been worn twice a week for the last year. Only the now defunct kite mark standard is woven into the label. I dont compete, but the poor labelling doesnt inspire confidence.

Any other standards printed on the inner stick on label have long been obliterated. Except for part of a reference number. If I peel off this label, underneath is the word VOID. However, I know it was of a higher standard than the previous HS1 it replaced and that it should at one point have carried a date of manufacture.

RisingMist

Visit site
Owner of year old gatehouse conquest and a brand new samshield - not yet worn as horse out of work. So frustrating!!! So come 2016 I will have 2 lovely home hats to choose from and will have to fork out more money for a new comp hat which I won't even really want or need. Madness

Lanky Loll

Visit site
I've heard back from the retailer I bought my hat from and they are not happy about the situation either - they heard about it the day before the announcement came out. I've not asked (nor do I expect them to offer) them to take the hat back, and in the meantime they are trying to get an update from Gatehouse as well.

BillyS

New User
Visit site
You should replace your hat every year or so anyway, so hats on sale now will prob need to be replaced in 2016 anyway.

I think most organisations will still accept the old safety standard, because it's still totally safe. The changes are only being made because the testing houses want to be paid to do more tests, so they've persuaded the decision makers to increase the standard. But its not actually about increasing safety really, we've all been safe for years wearing the hats with the old standards.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Given that it's over a year until the new standards are in place (and even longer until the 2016 BE season starts), then unless you've only just bought the hat, or are the best rider on the safest horse in the world, chances are you should be replacing your hat in that sort of timeframe anyway. Do none of you expect to have a fall in 2015? I'm blooming sure I will at some point.

I never used to replace my hat but had it sent back to the manufacturer and tested after an innocuous fall this autumn (one in which I didn't even think I'd hit my head). There was evidence of long term degradation of the foam lining coupled with a serious fresh crack from the fall. From a a completely minor fall.

I know hats are expensive (well the trendy ones are, amyway) but I seriously don't expect to be competing in 2016 in the same hat I'm wearing now. No way. So I'll just make sure that the next hat I buy complies with the standards. If a miracle happens and I don't come off in the next year (highly unlikely!) I'll relegate my current hat to home use and get a nice fancy new hat for competing next Christmas. It's no great stress.

I agree GB. I don't just factor in falls either, I think about how many times mine might get knocked in the tackroom, tumble off of the luton or just dropped in the yard. Complete backwards thinking considering I drag that Patey around with me too, but my skull cap will get replaced most years.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I've heard back from the retailer I bought my hat from and they are not happy about the situation either - they heard about it the day before the announcement came out. I've not asked (nor do I expect them to offer) them to take the hat back, and in the meantime they are trying to get an update from Gatehouse as well.

I'm not sure how much I would believe that manufacturers were completely in the dark - when there are industry changes like this, I would expect them to go out to consultation - I would bet that hat companies are not wanting to make people aware of changes in case it detrimentally affects their sales - especially as it was announced in the wake of Olympia, just before Christmas.

Que Sera

Visit site
You should replace your hat every year or so anyway, so hats on sale now will prob need to be replaced in 2016 anyway.

I think most organisations will still accept the old safety standard, because it's still totally safe. The changes are only being made because the testing houses want to be paid to do more tests, so they've persuaded the decision makers to increase the standard. But its not actually about increasing safety really, we've all been safe for years wearing the hats with the old standards.

Not really every year (providing there's no damage) - they will go a bit longer, though obviously there's no harm in sooner rather than later! Body protectors (undamaged) are good for up to five years providing they still meet required standards when competing; hats less.

Re organisations probably still accepting the old standard - no, they categorically won't if the hat doesn't have another accepted marking where stated. These are tagging changes and there won't be leeway. From BETA:

British Eventing will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
All hats will be retagged in 2016 at which stage no hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will be
tagged or permitted for use.

Riding Clubs – British Riding Clubs will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
All hats will be retagged in 2016 at which stage no hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will be
tagged or permitted for use.

Pony Club - will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter. Full details of the
revised Hat Tagging procedure will be communicated out to the Membership and
Volunteers shortly.

British Dressage – will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter

British Showjumping - will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter

British Horse Society – will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter. From
1.1.2016 hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will not be permitted for use in BHS Approved
Centres.

Last edited: