New horse napping and and reared!!

paddy555

Visit site
I agree with this. Sadly it is so hard to get an idea of a horse if you have a dealer or pro rider ride the horse because they have years of experience on a multitude of different horses and they know how to get a horse to move forwards in the best way, what buttons to press, etc.

Furthermore you don't know if the horse has been made to work to death before your visit, or whether its been doped or had water with held to make it calmer.

A pro rider could literally make a seaside donkey look good!

that is very true. A sales video is to make a horse look good to a prospective buyer. The dealer doesn't pluck someone off the street to ride he puts his best rider on a difficult horse who can be guaranteed to make it look totally easy. The horse is fully aware that this is a good rider, he has confidence in the rider and is going to go well for him. Alternatively the horse has enough sense not to mess this rider around.

In the case of OP in addition to saddles and anything else there is also the possibility the horse is simply trying the new rider to see what happens or alternatively needs confidence in it's new home and rides. An experienced rider probably wouldn't have had this problem because they would have pre empted the problems before they happened. No one can guess if it is simply that.

The other problem of sales videos is what is not shown. That is far more interesting. Many of the horse's endearing habits will be covered but not it's less endearing ones.

With the lack of vetting there is also the possibility the horse has a pain issue, eg back problem. Equally was it a good sales video because the horse was on bute.

If you are going to keep him I think you need a full vetting this week, full teeth check. An experienced check on the saddle and especially the bridle and bit. The problem could be as simple as a badly fitted bit/noseband and sharp teeth. If he passed that then an instructor or very experienced rider to ride and assess him in all situations.

If you can get all that done quickly you will have sufficient info. to make a balanced decision as to the way forward.

Without that I would return and start again with a lesson learnt about videos, the important of your own vet and you being there for it and extensively riding and handling the horse.

If you are able to post any of the videos on here then it may be very obvious what he is like. (either good or problematical)

Reactions: TPO

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
In the case of OP in addition to saddles and anything else there is also the possibility the horse is simply trying the new rider to see what happens or alternatively needs confidence in it's new home and rides. An experienced rider probably wouldn't have had this problem

TBF to the OP. Very few horses are vertical rearers. And those that are usually mean business and are dangerous.

paddy555

Visit site
TBF to the OP. Very few horses are vertical rearers. And those that are usually mean business and are dangerous.

I agree they are dangerous. However there are a lot of horses on here which, after purchase, are described as "rearers" and "bolters" that aren't necessarily. It is the description applied to them. In this case we don't really know which is why I suggested the horse was fully vetted and ridden by an instructor to asses it or went back.

ETA it is the description applied to them by a desperate or inexperienced purchaser.

stangs

Visit site
It doesn't matter whether the horse is rearing up because he's a chronic rearer with back problems or because he requires a lot of confidence from the rider.

OP, you bought him because he's a confidence giver. Vertical rears, or even the threat of a vertical rear now he's done it once, will not give you confidence. Unless you're willing to reassess with a vet/physio/instructor and have him as a 'project' instead, I'd return him.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I agree they are dangerous. However there are a lot of horses on here which, after purchase, are described as "rearers" and "bolters" that aren't necessarily. It is the description applied to them. In this case we don't really know which is why I suggested the horse was fully vetted and ridden by an instructor to asses it or went back.

ETA it is the description applied to them by a desperate or inexperienced purchaser.

I can understand the confusion over bolting. But a vertical rear is just that, they go vertical- presumably that’s what the OP observed.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It doesn't matter whether the horse is rearing up because he's a chronic rearer with back problems or because he requires a lot of confidence from the rider.

OP, you bought him because he's a confidence giver. Vertical rears, or even the threat of a vertical rearer now he's done it once, will not give you confidence. Unless you're willing to reassess with a vet/physio/instructor and have him as a 'project' instead, I'd return him.

Absolutely this.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
If you really like this horse you could try a 'Horse whisperer' who can tell what is wrong with it; Some people might not agree, but I know a wonderful person who just gets inside their head to see what their problem is. I just hate to read about a horse who may be unhappy through previous treatment, that can be improved with love and the right attitude.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you really like this horse you could try a 'Horse whisperer' who can tell what is wrong with it; Some people might not agree, but I know a wonderful person who just gets inside their head to see what their problem is. I just hate to read about a horse who may be unhappy through previous treatment, that can be improved with love and the right attitude.

Not everything can be solved with love and the right attitude. A horse that rears as OP describes can cause life changing injuries or worse, death.

We all hate the thought that a behaviour could be the result of past treatment, injury or illness. But unless OP signed up to a dangerous project, which it appears she didn’t, it needs to go back.

Leandy

Visit site

This is really not good advice.

paddy555

Visit site
I can understand the confusion over bolting. But a vertical rear is just that, they go vertical- presumably that’s what the OP observed.

The OP mentions they are torn what to do and wonder if they should give him a chance.

A true rearer that really stands up is frightening. I cannot see any way someone would be either torn or wondering if they should give it a chance. To my mind it would already be in the trailer back to the dealer as being totally unsafe, no doubts, no wondering, zilch. Next time could be over backwards. They would, quite rightly, be really scared and who could blame them. They wouldn't be debating it's future. .

I don't get the confidence giver thing. Surely it is the rider who gives the horse confidence not the other way round. The horse has travelled from it's home, moved into somewhere strange, different company, different living, strange people and unknown riders. I don't see they are machines nor are they saints.

It's a case of getting the vetting which should have been done then done now and the vet bearing in mind there may be problems and getting an instructor to ride him to assess what sort of horse he is. Or return and make sure everything is in place when buying the next one..

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Horses rear because their communication is being ignored. They don’t just do it for fun with a rider on top. Your horse is probably sending out a batch of signals that are being ignored so now it’s trying to tell you loudly.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Truly vertical rearing is not usually a horse just testing the boundaries and it is not an acceptable reaction to new home stress in my opinion. It is usually as a result of undiagnosed pain. If you keep the horse you will always have it in the back of your mind that it could happen again. It is very dangerous and clearly not the kind of horse you thought you were buying. Not viewing or having it vetted were big mistakes, but don’t make another and keep the horse. You really need to tell the dealer you are sending it back as soon as possible.

Winters100

Visit site
Truly vertical rearing is not usually a horse just testing the boundaries and it is not an acceptable reaction to new home stress in my opinion. It is usually as a result of undiagnosed pain. If you keep the horse you will always have it in the back of your mind that it could happen again. It is very dangerous and clearly not the kind of horse you thought you were buying. Not viewing or having it vetted were big mistakes, but don’t make another and keep the horse. You really need to tell the dealer you are sending it back as soon as possible.

100% agree. This horse is very dangerous as things stand today. Going forward, whatever you do with treatment or training you will always know that this could happen again, and next time you or your sister might be left with life changing injuries or worse. Having a horse whisperer is not good advice in my opinion. I see that the dealer is happy to take the horse back, this is great, you should not delay. I am probably a good deal more experienced than you and I would certainly not get on a horse which had done a vertical rear, it is not worth it, I value my ability to walk more than that.

There are plenty of other horses in the world. Next time take a professional or an experienced friend, and by experienced I do not mean someone who has owned a horse or two, but someone who has had multiple horses over many years and has wide experience of buying and selling. See the horse ridden by the seller, ride the horse yourself, ask questions and have it vetted by an independent vet, not one recommended by the seller. No need to be disheartened, we all make mistakes, but it is how we deal with them that matters, and in this case you need to take action.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Rearing is one of the things I wouldn't touch with even the biggest available bargepole. Especially as its not just feet slightly off the ground in excitement. Fortunately I've never been near one, but it looks so dangerous, it only takes the slightest lost of balance and its coming over on top of you, potentially causing life changing injuries or worse.

I do not have the skill to deal with it. When I got H he was nappy, as he was ex rs so used to going out in a group. On one occasion, He refused to go past a flattened cardboard box, and I was trying to make him go. He ever so slightly rocked back even that was enough to make me turn back, as while I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have done anything, that *what if* and self preservation took over.

We've now hacked alone together for many years, I solved it by getting off and leading for a bit if he went to plant, and also having a foot soldier if one was available. But no way could I have dealt with Rearing. Too much can go catastrophically wrong, far too soon

I'm glad the dealer has agreed to take it back, I wouldn't be getting on it again.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I bought a horse off a dealer who was quite insecure and a good several months into ownership was still showing backwards thinking and inclination to nap (to the safety of company). He did rear vertically under stressful conditions at a show and I heard a few people say he needed shooting! He was otherwise a grand lad and after a short while turned out to be the most kind, genuine, wonderful and safe horse for and adapting to any rider. He never did fully get over the anxiety of being left alone by a hacking friend but careful management meant he could go everywhere by himself and he hunted first or last with manners to spare!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Rearing for me depends on the situation, the horse, age etc. Many athletic horses find rearing very easy physically so can pop it in all the time and then are schooled and learn not to do it anymore. Some do it because of pain, either one probably needs an experienced rider. One of mine reared as a young horse when she got stuck, now she wouldn't even dream of it, not every horse is a write off because it rears. For you OP it wouldn't be the right horse and I'm glad it is being sorted.

Here is Valegro, pretty sure everyone here would still ride him ?.

20220131_215715.jpg

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There’s rearing, and then there’s rearing. I have trained many horses to rear as part of my job (training display and film horses), so it’s not something I’m particularly worried about when horses do it mucking about, but when they do it in panic, or when they are weak or unbalanced it is very dangerous. Definitely not something an inexperienced rider needs to be dealing with. Glad the horse is going back. Be a bit more careful if you buy again.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I don't get the confidence giver thing. Surely it is the rider who gives the horse confidence not the other way round.

But there are confidence-givers out there. Scarce - and they rarely need to be advertised.

Good news. Make sure you get a full refund.

Yes. Don't be tempted to swap with another horse this dealer has.

[QUOTE="Crazy_cat_lady, post: 14832542, member: 91714" When I got H he was nappy, as he was ex rs so used to going out in a group. On one occasion, He refused to go past a flattened cardboard box, and I was trying to make him go. He ever so slightly rocked back even that was enough to make me turn back, as while I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have done anything, that *what if* and self preservation took over.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I had a mare who did this once or twice and I felt I knew what was on her mind. For many reasons she and I were not a match.

scats

Visit site
Sending the horse back sounds like the best option. Pleased that the seller is taking it back, but make sure you get a full refund.

I have a nappy rearer. She doesn’t go vertical, but she can go pretty high and it’s a horrid feeling. You feel like you’re up there for ages.
I know how to avoid getting that reaction from her and she’s not unpredictable with it, as such, you can tell when it’s brewing and take steps to stop it happening.

tda

Visit site
So you didn’t view, so didn’t ride, and haven’t vetted?

A vertical rearer would be on it’s way back this week with the demand for a full refund.

A reputable dealer would have responded to you immediately.
If this is the case, then I would definitely send it back. You don't go looking for a schoolmaster to end up with a rearer.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Rearing for me depends on the situation, the horse, age etc. Many athletic horses find rearing very easy physically so can pop it in all the time and then are schooled and learn not to do it anymore. Some do it because of pain, either one probably needs an experienced rider. One of mine reared as a young horse when she got stuck, now she wouldn't even dream of it, not every horse is a write off because it rears. For you OP it wouldn't be the right horse and I'm glad it is being sorted.

Here is Valegro, pretty sure everyone here would still ride him ?.

View attachment 86767

Where is the queue for this please

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Cortez's post has just reminded me, to my eternal shame I taught my pony to rear when I was a child, ridden and from the ground. What was I thinking! I thought I was the bees knees up there dancing around on him, I even rode him in the local carnival dressed as a cow girl, rearing and spinning our way through the local high street.?

What a total eejit I was and even more shocking, not a single adult ever remarked on the error of my ways, my poor pony, but I have to say he seemed more than happy to play along with me. Can't believe how incredibly stupid I was!?

I'm Dun

Visit site
I don't get the confidence giver thing. Surely it is the rider who gives the horse confidence not the other way round. The horse has travelled from it's home, moved into somewhere strange, different company, different living, strange people and unknown riders. I don't see they are machines nor are they saints.

I've owned one, he was born that way. Even as a 4yr old people just felt safe with him. I've got another one semi retired now, but referred to as the "hangover horse" as he is comfortable, safe and will bring you back in one piece no matter what happens. I dont think anyone has ever fallen off him. Ironically in his younger days he was sharp and could be diffcult, but he mellowed in his teens and is a bit of a super star now.