New horse shopping criteria

Bellaboo18

Visit site

ihatework

Visit site
Any thoughts on this guy?? I really like the sound of him :)
https://www.herefordequestrian.co.uk/classified-ads/show-ad/2496/mr-who-paddy/16hh-to-16-2hh/

I also now have the contact about Clydesdales so will be making calls tomorrow

He sounds like a complete gentleman and possibly at least worth a call.

I think you will find with the muscling and the wording of the ad that you would be managing an arthritic horse, I’d also want to check his age.

There will be plenty like him around, and he will probably do a good job for someone who only has aspirations of light hacking.

gunnergundog

Visit site

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think hes over OP's budget but he sounds smashing, only thing youd need to clarify is if he hacks alone I've got one that couldn't cope with rs life and will now hack alone but was nappy when I first got him however with the help of a willing person on foot it only took a couple of months repetition, however he can be spooky but I think that's just him. However I've heard of someone with another ex rs horse that they've never been able to overcome the solo hacking with. I'd also like to know why they are selling him as he sounds perfect for their rs and they have been using him successfully, obviously it may be completely genuine such as they are closing down etc definitely worth a call. I like the way his advert is worded as well sounds like they've put a lot of time into it.

That MJL place came up a lot when I was looking for Clydesdales for the OP yesterday, I'm not sure what they are like but he sounds sweet.

Even dodgy dealers sometimes sell good horses. If the advert sounds good and on viewing the horse appears to be what you want, it would be worth having a vetting to make sure that it isn't drugged etc. I would insist the horse is offered a drink prior to the vetting, sometimes they are kept dehydrated to 'sedate' them without drugs.

Responsible RS don't keep all thier horses for ever, they often sell them on after a few successful years, in order to keep providing their customers with a variety of horses to ride and to avoid making their horses stale. I have had a couple of ex-RS horses, which had no problems adapting to life outside the RS.

ihatework

Visit site
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=906318679700378&id=100009667640529&width=500" width="500" height="789" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Looks like it's been in a riding school, also sounds cheap for what it is if sound and hacks alone but should be close-ish to you??

Oh he looks super. Just the job. And worth the compromise on getting a teenager.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=906318679700378&id=100009667640529&width=500" width="500" height="789" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Looks like it's been in a riding school, also sounds cheap for what it is if sound and hacks alone but should be close-ish to you??

he looks very nice!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Price aside. Would this be the type you are looking for?

Horsequest Advert: http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/207267

Not sure if that link will work!

I don't like Mr Who Paddy as I think they are being very honest but I would worry about his longevity even in a lighter job. I find that when hunters can no longer hunt, they really have had it for lots of other jobs too - what with the adrenaline keeping them going. Of course, that depends on what sort of hunting they do, but he is not being sold as a hunter at all, but they are being honest that he can only hack/pleasure ride.

The Comtois Draught above, he is very attractive. I suspect he is probably not happy doing loads of circles any more, so is no longer a riding school horse, they are doing the right thing by him. He did have a few strides with loss of precision in strides when changing rein, but heck, I like him! By enlarge everything moves in the same direction and is smooth. He is willing, happy, able to hold canter...

As long as he will hack alone, without someone walking beside and a car going behind, then I think he is great! I don't think OP is going to do hours of schooling and I think he would be great in hacking work, with a bit more to offer, with safety. He is sound in the video, no adrenaline to hold him up.

As with any horse, I would have a 5 stage vetting. In particular I would pay attention to doing the workout, having a good rest and then having a lunge to see how he is after work and rest, but as long as it was not dire, if he were a bit stiff I think I would still choose to have him at a reduction.

ihatework

Visit site
See I would have suspicions on soundness on the Comtois BUT he has a happy willing expression and I’d put him in the ‘sound for purpose’ category. OP he might be one to keep an eye on as he may well come down in price if he gets vetted!

eahotson

Visit site
This one is the only one that worries me -
* I don't need a completely novice ride, I've regained alot of confidence and something that's forward going etc is fine.
That may be true in reality, but in dodgy advert world 'Not a novice ride' usually means it won't fulfill some or all of your other criteria. Confidence is much easier to lose than it is to regain (though well done you on regaining it before!) and it can be lost multiple times...

If you are experienced enough, you would be better to get the plod for now and school it into the horse you want (i.e. more responsive, etc) than try and get the forward going sharper one who then won't be as receptive to being ridden 3 or 4 times a week for a gentle hack. Almost any horse is capable, with schooling and fitness, of doing basic riding club activities which is what you want. A plainer one may not be doing it now, but will fill all your other jobs, and as you get to know the and like them and get a bit of training they can turn their hoof to a bit of jumping or cross country or whatever.
Two things in particular I agree with here.Looking confidence is much easier than gaining it and the comment about the plod.Correct and consistent schooling can turn a plod into at least a moderately responsive ride.

eahotson

Visit site
The other thing,any horse that you enjoy riding will be beautiful to you.I was persuaded to ride a common (his own mother would have said he was common)little cob.I didn't want to ride,I didn't,I didn't.Got on.Five minutes later I was grinning from ear to ear.Funnily enough I always thought him the most handsome of horses after that.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Remind me if I ever want to buy another, to post on here! LOL. Definitely some points made i'd never even thought about before.

Love clicking through the ads and reading every ones views, also shows that so little adverts are genuine honest sellers.. i'll be taking you lot with me when I next view a horse 'live horse viewing conference'

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I quite like this gelding, not many pictures and am sure the forum may find bad points, but if genuinely unbroken until 9 he has low mileage for rising 12?

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/super-fun-family-cob/Horses/563730

I do think sometimes its best to view the horse to get the full picture, sometimes adverts aren't clear and sometimes a genuine owner can sound un-genuine as they're not great at writing adverts. My little cobs advert was a shocking poor photo with '14h 5yr old cob for sale good in traffic not backed' or along those lines, and for some reason I was drawn to view him as he was only 30 minutes away and fell in love with him. Ok, he didn't come from a good place but they were a genuine sellers I suppose.

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
https://www.horsemart.co.uk/hunter-allrounder-british-sports-horse/Horses/560800

He also looks a real genuine chap to me.

Sorry - boss has vacated the office and any excuse to avoid work!

Have messaged about the 17hh hunter, Phoenix...shame has not younger but definitely worth a look as he's local :)

I wouldn't see rising 12 as to old, could be worth a look if hes local or a call.
He may have lower mileage than the others if he was left until 9. I always think those are the best ones if done properly, and its a genuine advert, could be interesting to know what he done until 9?

Hope you find the ideal horse!

ihatework

Visit site
https://www.horsemart.co.uk/hunter-allrounder-british-sports-horse/Horses/560800

He also looks a real genuine chap to me.

Sorry - boss has vacated the office and any excuse to avoid work!

I wouldn't see rising 12 as to old, could be worth a look if hes local or a call.
He may have lower mileage than the others if he was left until 9. I always think those are the best ones if done properly, and its a genuine advert, could be interesting to know what he done until 9?

Hope you find the ideal horse!

Phoenix is 15. And the main reason he will be in budget is due to age. But, assuming he passes a vet, he looks like a lovely fun horse with a bit of quality yet up to weight. Although he might need a diet if the flat photo is recent

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Phoenix is 15. And the main reason he will be in budget is due to age. But, assuming he passes a vet, he looks like a lovely fun horse with a bit of quality yet up to weight. Although he might need a diet if the flat photo is recent

Which one is Phoenix? All of the links I posted are under 12yr olds unless I am going insane?!

Ahh Phoenix is another link posted - sorry!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I quite like this gelding, not many pictures and am sure the forum may find bad points, but if genuinely unbroken until 9 he has low mileage for rising 12?

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/super-fun-family-cob/Horses/563730

I do think sometimes its best to view the horse to get the full picture, sometimes adverts aren't clear and sometimes a genuine owner can sound un-genuine as they're not great at writing adverts. My little cobs advert was a shocking poor photo with '14h 5yr old cob for sale good in traffic not backed' or along those lines, and for some reason I was drawn to view him as he was only 30 minutes away and fell in love with him. Ok, he didn't come from a good place but they were a genuine sellers I suppose.

he was one of the first ones posted :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I wouldn't buy this specific Ardennes but she's the type I adore.
I wouldn't buy an older heavy horse to be honest, I'd want under 10, preferably younger. Im not mad keen to have ANY ex riding school/RDA horse as the last one my friend had was an absolute PITA, put me off for life..!! Plus this girl is about 8 hours from me lol.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Phoenix is not ex riding school. I've messaged and waiting for a reply as really like the look of him ❤

If you see something you like, that you can afford, pick up the phone and move on it quickly. Phoenix does hack alone and he already has people booked to view him today and tomorrow plus a waiting list. Guess how I know? :D