New horse shopping criteria

be positive

Visit site
The sidebone may not have effected her so far but any young horse that has done so little yet has started to have any arthritic changes would be a concern to me as to whether it would stand up to doing more, jumping may be an issue, and whether there will be changes going on elsewhere..

I know it is proving to be a tough search but why start with a known issue, unless it does not have a bearing on the future soundness I would give it a miss.

I think many of the horses that you have tried to find out about will have been sold, some people forget where they have put ads and never remove them once it has sold, Horsemart often has ads that are months old that never get updated which is why I stopped using it to buy or sell.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
re the mare on horsequest ,,i would have a chat with your vet re sidebone, a friend had a big horse with sidebones in both fronts and he was always a bit iffy when he came out of the stable but ok once working. he went quite lame in the end and had to be PTS..

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure if I should keep actively looking or take a break for a month and see if I can sort some extra money out. To be honest though, whatever money you have available, it never seems to be enough :(
I'm never going to be able to afford to buy exactly what I'm looking for so compromises have to be made somewhere.
I'm not looking for a world beater, just an easy hack that can step up a gear to do a few other bits.

Last edited:

gunnergundog

Visit site
I'm not sure if I should keep actively looking or take a break for a month and see if I can sort some extra money out. .

That is the best idea you have had in my opinion. :)

Someone always pops up and says 'oh but I've never paid more than tuppence halfpenny for a horse' or 'all the horses I've ever known cost less than 2 shillings and 6 pence and they won Badminton/the Olympics and the Derby'! For sure. However, whilst the odd sane, safe, sound horse may exist in the lower price bracket, as the last 24 pages that have run over 15 days prove there is certainly not an abundance of them. And how many people do you suppose have been looking for you??

Upping your budget is no guarantee but it will open up the pool of horses available to you. Also, it will hopefully get you away from looking at horses that already have known/declared veterinary issues (eg sidebone) or which have probably already failed a vetting for someone else (the one you were supposed to be first to view).

However, as Adoreable Alice said, finding the ad for a suitable horse is only the first step; you have to get on the phone immediately and keep phoning until you get a reply. You then have to be prepared to jump in your car that day or the very next at the latest and drive to see said horse. Take dogs/parrots whatever with you or get an animal sitter on stand-by. Time waits for no man.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just seen one on facebook and dont know how to transfer ad to here so this is the ad posted by jasmine vernon on horses and ponies for sale/loan UK 16.3,KWPN 10 year old piebald mare,hacks alone and in company goes in front or behind.forward but safe, amazing with traffic, good calm personality,good with everyone,has done med level dressage. £4500 with full wardrobe and black county saddle which was made for her or £2500 no tack nottinghamshire.....looks a nice type and sounds easy to handle even though she is big

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thsnk you so very very much to all that are helping. I genuinely appreciate it more than you know :)
I'm going to take a little break just now though from it all as I think that I need to think once again about the things I'm willing or need to compromise in order to find the "right" horse, and balance that with the type I would like. There are plenty of horses out there that are ticking all of the boxes to be fair BUT they are all above my current budget. I may or may not be able to stretch the budget a little more but I need to decide what factors of the criteria I can negotiate on. I have my mind set really on an ID type 16hh+ so will give it a few weeks, scrape more money and see where I'm at then :)

be positive

Visit site
That makes so much sense, the scattergun approach is confusing and bringing up too many that are not ticking many boxes, set your criteria with a few compromises and stick to it, I would continue to browse through the new ads and not go looking back through all the old ones, something is sure to turn up when you stop trying so hard to find it.

Summit

Visit site
The thread should be closed so SLH doesn’t come up with “what about this one”:p

Agree you should step back, I’m confused with it all let alone you o_O

Myloubylou

Visit site
I’d still keep an eye out though, I saw a pony that was advertised Thursday evening, called straight up & saw her yesterday. She’s exactly what I was looking so agreed sale after viewing & getting her vetted. I’ve seen a few over last few weeks that we’re not “on brief” but the right one didn’t seem out there so thought have to compromise. She still needs to pass the vet but glad I spotted as she’s got lots of interest but I was first in. I don’t have huge budget

Summit

Visit site
I’d still keep an eye out though, I saw a pony that was advertised Thursday evening, called straight up & saw her yesterday. She’s exactly what I was looking so agreed sale after viewing & getting her vetted. I’ve seen a few over last few weeks that we’re not “on brief” but the right one didn’t seem out there so thought have to compromise. She still needs to pass the vet but glad I spotted as she’s got lots of interest but I was first in. I don’t have huge budget

Straight in, bosh, job done :)

You have to move quickly and be prepared to go that day if necessary

Try not to rule out teens. I’ve got a 19 year old, ok we just hack, but he’s sprightly and has more energy than younger horses I know

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he looks like a good one, not sure if SLH is taking a break and saving a bit more, but he would be worth a look IMO

oooh, just looked at the video on facebook and i really like him, its not been on long so SLH needs to get her skates on if she likes him....

Last edited: