New horse shopping criteria

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok so I know how much everyone loves horsey shopping 😂😂 So I've had a list shoved firmly into my hand 🙄 of the criteria I'm "allowed" to have for the new neddy.
As a bit of background:
I'm 38 and 5ft 11", no idea what I weigh but I'm not a lightweight, not huge either. I've ridden on and off since I was 16. Am a fairly competent rider who can walk, trot, canter, gallop and retain control lol. I've jumped up to 3ft 6 in the past and done some basic dressage tests and basic cross country. I have zero competitive nature or interest, I just enjoy having fun.
My core strength isn't what it used to be and I need to get fit, I have Fibromyalgia so pain can be an issue. Horse would be ridden an average of 4 times a week out hacking for now.
I'd like to eventually be having lessons on horse and having a play at everything :)

So this is what I've been told...in my friends words... 🙈🙈🙈
MUST HAVES:
* Must hack alone
* Must live out
* Must be sensible, not spooky or silly
* Must load/travel
* Must be a bare minimum of 16hh up to whatever height will fit in a horse trailer lol (not a bloody Clydesdale!!)
* Must be a nice chunky type (still no Clydesdale!! Think Irish Draught build, I'll allow you a Clyde x)
* Must be a nice person on the ground (no dickheads, I'm not telling you again!!!)

PREFERENCES:
* Gelding preferred, mare considered
* Any colour but grey ideally
* Preferably nothing older than 12
* Preferably something that wont need shoes

CONSIDERATIONS:
* Must fit into a horse trailer
* Young/unbroken not ideal UNLESS it is proven to be very sane and easy to do on the ground and is broken in professionally (again, this is NOT ideal except in exceptional circumstances!!!!)
* Green in schooling is no issue as can be worked on
* A horse that brings out the horsey passion in the RIGHT way, it doesn't have to be a tit to be fun!!!
* Enjoy looking but don't rush!!
* Current budget in 3k which will increase a bit as time goes on

ETA: The absolute MAIN points are that the horse must hack alone, live out and be the right height/type...most other things can be worked with/around in view of current budget :)
I'd still like something that needs work/is s little bit of a challenge so a younger horse will be my personal preference
Anything that anyone wants to add or comment on, feel free.

Last edited:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
In Shropshire, certain things are negotiable.
I've definitely seen a few that fit this criteria within budget but are mainly young horses to be fair. I have my eye on a few as we speak but wanted some extra input x

Pippity

Visit site
I paid a bit more than that for a horse that a) only hacks in company at the moment, and b) is only 15hh.

I think you're going to struggle to find something on that budget, but good luck!

RHM

Visit site
Oh I love fantasy horse shopping!
Literally mine fits every criteria, bar he is 13.2 and I wouldn’t part with him if you gave me a blank check! Are you 100% non negotiable on height because for what you want in your budget you could get a lovely native that would fit the bill!

abbijay

Visit site
I would kill for one lol...how tall is yours???
He's 18.1hh (or thereabouts, the 18.hh measuring stick dangles off the floor). My coach, Emma, isn't small but it's only when someone stands next to him that you realise how big he is.
I actually know of one in Shropshire, a touch smaller than mine that is looking for a permanent loan home but last i heard she may have found someone.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
You do need to get on the scales. Remember to add 2.5 stone to your naked weight to allow for tack including saddle and clothing inc crash hat, boots etc to get your riding weight.

I'm your height, and we tall peeps especially have to be honest about what weight our horses can carry.

I will find some lol..I was 15 st last time I checked, when I weighed myself in full riding stuff with saddle it was 16.4, I only ride in synthetic saddles as I find leather ones too hard to carry and lift.
I can definitely work on the weight while I'm horsey shopping :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
He's 18.1hh (or thereabouts, the 18.hh measuring stick dangles off the floor). My coach, Emma, isn't small but it's only when someone stands next to him that you realise how big he is.
I actually know of one in Shropshire, a touch smaller than mine that is looking for a permanent loan home but last i heard she may have found someone.

How the hell do you fit him in a trailer..?????
I think 17hh is really my max as I also have to consider our field shelter etc too. My late Clydesdale, Goliath was 17hh x

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Budget is currently double what it was before with a little scope to go higher :) I have 3k now but could possibly make that a bit more in a month or so.
Still tight but more realistic??

abbijay

Visit site
How the hell do you fit him in a trailer..?????
I think 17hh is really my max as I also have to consider our field shelter etc too. My late Clydesdale, Goliath was 17hh x
I need to put you in touch with my friend who breeds and deals in clydesdales. He will sell you one that is "the height you want", he asks what height you want and then will tell you every horse he wants to sell you is that height :p

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
That's a fair point.
My friend and I plant to buy a Shetland each to try to combat the separation issues. So everyone will always have a companion. Do you think this will work??

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
3k is still a very tight budget for a no problems straightforward weight carrier. They are out there, but take some finding, and there are many that purport to be such but aren't.

Do take this opportunity to work on your fitness and shift some weight. My mare is a 16.1hh IDx cob, and just the stamp that you are looking for, but I didn't expect her to carry me when I was 15+ stone. I shifted the weight then started riding her again :).

blodwyn1

Visit site
Shetlands are real escape artists and may not stay with the one that needs company! Also it is further expense and you have a limited budget. Have you thought about a Suffolk punch? The colony stud sometimes looks for homes for their geldings.

Denbob

Visit site
I've just seen one which might be interesting for you although might be a bit far! Not sure how to send a Facebook post so might not work :S

sportsmansB

Visit site
Given your budget and criteria, why wouldn't you consider an older horse rather than a youngster? I would be looking for something that had done my job for several years (proven) rather than hoping something might
If you are hacking 4 x a week then a healthy horse of 14+ could give you several good years and you'd have a better idea of what you were buying.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d say keep saving!
You can buy what you want on the budget but it will be young and unproven and just pot luck as to whether it’s unflappable from the off.

SpringArising

Visit site
SLH, I think you need to be sensible with this next one.

Young/unbroken not ideal UNLESS it is proven to be very sane and easy to do on the ground and is broken in professionally (again, this is NOT ideal except in exceptional circumstances!!!!)

Green in schooling is no issue as can be worked on

Don't bother going back to getting something that's caused you grief in the past. A young unbroken horse might seem like they're alright when no pressure is being added, but they might be completely unsuitable under saddle. They might be a fizzy bucking sort who needs work seven days a week. Youngsters are too much of a gamble. Get yourself a horse that you can enjoy NOW. Not MAYBE once they're backed and might turn out alright.

Get something that is PROVEN. It's what you need after all the hassle you've been through with this one. IIRC you had another green horse a few years back who you came off out hacking then sold. I think it's wise to admit that young and green horses perhaps just aren't right for you, and that's fine. Just enjoy the horses that are. That's what it's all about.

I also think 3k is pretty ambitious for what you're asking. I think you either need to look at doubling that, or looking at an older horse who's ready to step it down a level.

tashcat

Visit site
I couldn't agree with sportsmansB more - I would recommend a slightly older one through and through! Not at all aimed at you OP, but it's such a pet peeve of mine that people want a youngster so 'it will last' - a 15 year old could have 10 wonderful years left, whilst a 7 year old could have half that - you just never know with horses!

My last boy passed at 25 and he was still doing everything he did as youngster, only with twice as much enthusiasm and cheekiness! :D

Our current boy is rising 13 and also acts like a gangly twit so don't let age steer you away from the golden ones!

Might also help with the budget :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Equally, I got mine at 12 and 13 years still didn't feel like enough (14 if you count the fact he is still around just not doing anything). We just hadn't quite 'finished' ;)