New horse shopping criteria

ihatework

Visit site
Yes IHW, that's what I mean...an ISH in the true sense of the meaning. I've noticed alot seem skinnier than they used to be, I absolutely love IDs and would kill for a purebred but as you know, they aren't cheap :(

It’s not always do much ‘skinnier’ it’s just that they are being bred for sport and with that come athleticism and reactions! So just check out the bloodlines in any ISH you see that might fit your criteria

SpringArising

Visit site
https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/2258816-162hh-gelding-ripley.html

A nice looking, big horse like that who is as good to hack and do as she's making out is NOT under 1.5k without good reason.

His only vice is he can be bargy on the ground, as if he forgets how big he is occasionally. However apart from being trod on once I’ve found if you are firm with him from the very beginning & give him the occasional reminder your present he is a lot more respectful. which is a nice way of putting that he'll trample you if you don't move out the way fast enough.

Again - why are you looking at horses with known vices you know you don't want in a next horse? You're jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

he can pop a jump though when he puts his mind to it - which means you need to ride the living daylight out of him in order to get him over.

You're being suckered into problem horses because their price is attractive. They're cheap for a reason, people don't miss out of thousands of pounds simply because they need a quick sale, unless they know that horse has no hope of being sold unless it's for peanuts.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
agree with springarising about the cheap horse, in the ad she says he is not a novice ride....now i dont know how you class your riding but from your posts i was expecting you to want something safe and sane and willing. this boy sounds like none of those!!!! the one that AA found looked good, what happened with that one?

Leo Walker

Visit site

A nice looking, big horse like that who is as good to hack and do as she's making out is NOT under 1.5k without good reason.

His only vice is he can be bargy on the ground, as if he forgets how big he is occasionally. However apart from being trod on once I’ve found if you are firm with him from the very beginning & give him the occasional reminder your present he is a lot more respectful. which is a nice way of putting that he'll trample you if you don't move out the way fast enough.

Again - why are you looking at horses with known vices you know you don't want in a next horse? You're jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

he can pop a jump though when he puts his mind to it - which means you need to ride the living daylight out of him in order to get him over.

You're being suckered into problem horses because their price is attractive. They're cheap for a reason, people don't miss out of thousands of pounds simply because they need a quick sale, unless they know that horse has no hope of being sold unless it's for peanuts.

Or the owner is a bit of a wally and has let a big horse push them around. You don't know until you look. I have viewed lots of horses and not yet found one that is exactly as the ad says. I also find that people genuinely believe what they say, but that doesn't always mean its true.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I've been sent the link to this guy???
He's almost identical in every way to the loan horse that's just gone home..!!

I love the advert. It is a numb nut and they are telling you. Truthful advert, awful pictures, shocking confo and guaranteed to be sold to someone who can't read the advert. It might thrive in a busy home who can get it thinking and working hard. Two days a week hunting and 5 days a week hacking distances, would very likely make it into a nice horse. At that price the right person could have themselves a bargain. A dealer would be able to turn a profit on it quickly. Spruce it up, work the nuts off it and it will be gone to a first time buyer as bombproof paragon of virtue. Until it is not tired anymore and it reverts to a numb nut, probably an angry one.

SLH, Can I tell you of my experience from 2004, I wish no offence. I know it is so easy to look at horses and think - aw, looks just like the other horse I had. I have done it myself after the tragic death of my big horse. I actively searched for 17.3 + grey purebred ID HW show hunter. I was blinkered, I was distraught at the loss and I could not bear to have my stable without a big noble grey head looking out. He was 13 when he died, I had him from 6 months, everything he knew and achieved was taught by me and the hole he left was unbearable.

After umpteen viewings, 4 months searching, lots of tears of disappointment, bucked off twice and a lot of miles the obvious dawned on me. No matter how alike the horse maybe to a previous horse in terms of looks/colour etc it is a different horse and I decided to stop trying to 'replace' because you can't. Far better I just treasure the memories and start afresh. After all if you do buy a look alike there is only one thing you will do, and that is compare, which will result in even more disappointment !

Good luck with your search.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
What was the outcome of your enquiry for this one.
They took a deposit during the time I was enquiring..!!!

Yes but with no offence meant to SLH, and I really do mean that, OP has just been the wally who let the horse push her around, so she is not the person to turn THIS one around either!
I know I shouldn't laugh but this did make me chuckle. Fair comment there SA 😂😂😂

Can I just add, I didn't see the ad for the bargy horse, a friend sent the link. I thought he seemed a bit too cheap but I'm not very good at reading between the lines in ads which is why I posted. My 'sane' friend is very busy and doesnt always have time to look through everything :)

Visit site
How about this? She is grey unfortunately though and at your maximum budget.... https://www.horsemart.co.uk/16-3-11-years-old-irish-sports-horse-for-sale/Horses/562605

or this https://www.horsemart.co.uk/16-2hh-friesian-x-tb-7yo-gelding/Horses/563929 although 'needs regular exercise' maybe isn't the type of thing you are looking for, could mean it's a dragon after 2 days without doing anything ....

Think this might be older than you wanted and is a mare, but she's cute https://www.horsemart.co.uk/normandy-cob-for-sale-/Horses/563451

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/zac-16-1-cob-x/Horses/556811 - this one is good to hack and apparently also good without regular riding.

Sorry if any of these are wildly unsuitable...! I'm not always good at reading between the lines either; I think pretty much every horse on the planet is saintly until proven otherwise, which is not always a great attitude to have when horse shopping. :p But good luck in your search. Have you tried gumtree/freeads/pets4homes as well as the more traditional horsey selling sites, e.g. I saw this fella on pets4homes: https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/2234726-warmblood-x-irish-sport-horse-wimborne.html but it does say he is 'strong but responsive', I'm not sure how I'd interpret that to be honest.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have looked at the ads chinchilla, but i think SLH does not need a horse that is not a novice ride or need lots of work to stay sane. the only one that looked suitable was a very low price so i would suspect the ad is not true or it has soundness issues, its the one called zac.
£1200 o.n.o. for an 8 yr old 16.1 supposedly safe horse is very low..i do like the look of him though

Visit site
have looked at the ads chinchilla, but i think SLH does not need a horse that is not a novice ride or need lots of work to stay sane. the only one that looked suitable was a very low price so i would suspect the ad is not true or it has soundness issues, its the one called zac.
£1200 o.n.o. for an 8 yr old 16.1 supposedly safe horse is very low..i do like the look of him though
But slh also said they did not mind something that needed a bit of work; what differentiates 'not a novice ride' and 'needs work', surely there is a fair amount of crossover?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Zak is in Workington, which is North Cumbria, it is probably a fair price for the area but will cost a fortune to get down to SLH's. The photos are dreadful, you can't tell a thing from them, in fact you can hardly see the horse in the jumping pic. Why do people do that?

eahotson

Visit site
I wish you were closer and could come and meet my little mare. She is safe and sane but forward and the most fun horse I have ever owned. She went driving yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks out through the village. She was a bit looky at the roadworks etc but that was it. The kids on the yard have been riding her. Shes not been sat on since September last year and they have been riding her bareback with a headcollar and leadrope. She was a bit ploddy at first while she remembered but then she was away. The kids have had a whale of a time and shes been cantering over to the gate when she sees them as shes enjoyed it as well.

She was broken to drive in 3 weeks and placed in her first competition after 4 weeks. Stood quietly at the wagon all day and did all 3 phases a bit goggle eyed, as shes never been in an indoor never mind one with spectators and a viewing gallery, but otherwise was foot perfect. She even got a 9 for her dressage!

I thought she would be too ploddy when I got her but I just wanted an easy life for once. But shes not ploddy at all. Shes just polite and well behaved, and more than happy to go up the gears when you ask. Shes never once said no to anything I ask. I used to equate quiet with boring, but its not.
Love.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Zak is in Workington, which is North Cumbria, it is probably a fair price for the area but will cost a fortune to get down to SLH's. The photos are dreadful, you can't tell a thing from them, in fact you can hardly see the horse in the jumping pic. Why do people do that?
still seems very cheap to me but as i am in the south prices are pretty high. i didnt realise it was in cumbria and agree the pics are pretty useless...

tankgirl1

Visit site
I'll be honest, I am surprised that straightforward horses are so expensive. A friend sold her 15.2 cob cross for 1.2k, perfect in traffic, kids could ride him, he drove as well. My mare was 400 unbroken, ex broodie, easy to back, perfect in traffic again, great with kids, has done wonders for my confidence. Another friend has just bought a wonderful coloured cob for less than 1k, again he's great. They are out there if you can find them and I am no expert. Maybe myself and my friends all just dropped lucky eh?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'll be honest, I am surprised that straightforward horses are so expensive. A friend sold her 15.2 cob cross for 1.2k, perfect in traffic, kids could ride him, he drove as well. My mare was 400 unbroken, ex broodie, easy to back, perfect in traffic again, great with kids, has done wonders for my confidence. Another friend has just bought a wonderful coloured cob for less than 1k, again he's great. They are out there if you can find them and I am no expert. Maybe myself and my friends all just dropped lucky eh?

All smaller though generally....if you want a quiet easy cob 14.2-15.2 then there's lots of choice and bargains to be had.

It's also very hard to tell what the OP actually likes. If you look back through the selection suggested and look at those she's 'liked' vs those she hasn't it's hard to tell the difference.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
How about this? She is grey unfortunately though and at your maximum budget.... https://www.horsemart.co.uk/16-3-11-years-old-irish-sports-horse-for-sale/Horses/562605

or this https://www.horsemart.co.uk/16-2hh-friesian-x-tb-7yo-gelding/Horses/563929 although 'needs regular exercise' maybe isn't the type of thing you are looking for, could mean it's a dragon after 2 days without doing anything ....

Think this might be older than you wanted and is a mare, but she's cute https://www.horsemart.co.uk/normandy-cob-for-sale-/Horses/563451

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/zac-16-1-cob-x/Horses/556811 - this one is good to hack and apparently also good without regular riding.

Sorry if any of these are wildly unsuitable...! I'm not always good at reading between the lines either; I think pretty much every horse on the planet is saintly until proven otherwise, which is not always a great attitude to have when horse shopping. :p But good luck in your search. Have you tried gumtree/freeads/pets4homes as well as the more traditional horsey selling sites, e.g. I saw this fella on pets4homes: https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/2234726-warmblood-x-irish-sport-horse-wimborne.html but it does say he is 'strong but responsive', I'm not sure how I'd interpret that to be honest.

Like the look of Zac (4th link)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Try Charlotte Clulow CJCEventing on Facebook
but is he too dear, too big, not ‘heavy’ enough?
He does look nice, and he's quite local to the OP. Charlotte is selling him on behalf of a client, there will be good trial facilities. He wouldn't be up to the OP's current weight, though, but after shedding a couple of stone?

For Sale!

Jaeger, 17hh, 13yo, Bay, Gelding

Jaeger is the most gorgeous boy with the sweetest temperament, he’s an absolute delight to be around - a true gentleman! He has competed in dressage, he has three lovely expressive paces. Good to hack, load, shoe etc. Lives in or out with mares or geldings.
Jaeger is now looking for a new home where he’ll be pampered as he deserves and become someone’s new best friend!
for sale on behalf of a client
£3,500 ono
Contact Charlotte ******** (Cheshire)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's also very hard to tell what the OP actually likes. If you look back through the selection suggested and look at those she's 'liked
Very true.

ETA On reflection, Jaeger is likely rather too fine/more quality than the OP is after. Looks like a nice horse for someone, though!!

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site

Nope. Its my experience as well. OP wants something taller, but would be quite happy with a cob type or similar sort of cross. My friend bought a 16.2hh unpapered Clydesdale for £1500. He was a bit poor looking and only rising 5 and green but is safe and easy.

ihatework

Visit site
Nope. Its my experience as well. OP wants something taller, but would be quite happy with a cob type or similar sort of cross. My friend bought a 16.2hh unpapered Clydesdale for £1500. He was a bit poor looking and only rising 5 and green but is safe and easy.

But that’s the whole gamble isn’t it?
You buy a poor green slightly ropy horse and cross your fingers and put the work in (and be prepared to take the hit if it goes wrong).

You want something where someone has already taken that risk and done the work for the same price ......

Michen

Visit site
But that’s the whole gamble isn’t it?
You buy a poor green slightly ropy horse and cross your fingers and put the work in (and be prepared to take the hit if it goes wrong).

You want something where someone has already taken that risk and done the work for the same price ......

Exactly. Or be prepared to spend a huge amount of money on getting them rideable for you if your not capable of doing if yourself, and even then they may not be what you want at the end of it.

Bog cost me 2.5k from Ireland, he cost me well over that again to be "produced"....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

And mine! I have had some lovely horses and (bar the IDx) never paid more than £2k, they have all been weight carriers and good to hack, with the ability to do a bit of low-level competing, which afaik, is what OP is looking for.

Michen

Visit site
Argggh! Guys its all very well people having bought quiet youngsters and them remaining as quiet with little need for outside help etc, but there are just as many or probably more that don't!

OP needs a safe, sensible and sane horse. However quiet and mellow a youngster seems there is NO guarantee it won't go through a "kevins" phase or become something entirely different once it has strengthened up. How long, how bad that phase will be is anyones guess (if It happens). I've seen plenty of dobbins turn into sharp dragons for periods of time as they start to learn about life. Why risk it when the OP has already had so much stressful horsey drama?

I vividly remember when I first got Boggle telling my friend that he was BORING.. too quiet, too kickalong… the joke was definitely on me with that.