Pictures New owner/rider check in

PSD

Visit site
My 2019 winter loan "pony", Asterix, ended up not going back at all in 2020 but I decided I had invested enough in his training with no prospect of return so I imposed a fixed return date to the trekking centre as things reopened this summer. View attachment 77591
This meant the search for my next best friend started in earnest in about March 2021. I was looking at anything from 15hh upwards, chunkier type that would carry hubby or the kids and it had to be great to hack alone and in company; pretty much everything else was negotiable.
I was getting sent links by lots of well meaning friends to ridiculous things that were completely unsuitable or stupid money. Twice I came across fabulous horses on a Monday or Tuesday that were sold by the Thursday despite me being booked to go after work on Friday (they were both 3+hours away and having just started a new job I couldn't get over any quicker). I was seriously considering upping my budget to £7.5k so I could possibly find a 5yo cob of indistinct breeding but backed and ridden away and suitable as a family pet in a few years.
Then my trusty instructor said she knew of something I'd love. 15.3hh 5yo Irish mare - a lovely little busy type. I arranged to go that night - i didn't want to miss another one and this one had a second viewing lined up the day after. She was very sweet but I just couldn't relax, she didn't do anything wrong but my heartrate was through the roof the whole time. It felt like such a silly reason to reject a perfectly good horse on. I sent some videos to a buddy of mine and she instantly said "nope, not this one. Keep looking." This was 9.30pm at night and I had just resigned myself to more months of looking. Then I logged into facebook and top of my news feed was a for sale advert: 5yo, 17hh, green but ridden away, bay with 4 white stockings and a blaze. I got in touch, he was in budget and they were happy for me to come and visit on the next day. Oh, and he was a CLYDESDALE.
I drove 200 miles to go and see him and fell in love at first sight. I knew I was buying him before I even sat on him! I had him vetted and that was that. My dad and i set off in the trailer the following Saturday and home came Baby Ace.
View attachment 77597
He is adorable, sweet and a complete baby with a number of missing puzzle pieces in his learning but I am completely over the moon with him.
Ok, there was an incident when I tried to hack him alone on the cross country field for the first time... He saw the tractor (that lives in his barn) from 300 yards and galloped off. When I slowed him to a canter the fun really began. He bronced and bronced. All i could do was throw my weight into my stirrups, hold my jesus handle and wait for him to stop! We eventually got back to the gate and had a chat (and polo) with a transporter who was on the field but his confidence was shot. I got a good case of whiplash and he still can't ride on the field as he just stresses and panics. In the arena he is sweet, although his canter isn't exactly established and he tends to buck or stop! I had a look at him loose and i think it's a strength/balance issue so we have taken a step back on all that and will try again in a few more weeks. At least I know he's got the springs to play over a few jumps in years to come!
He is however a brilliant hack, both alone and in company. He has happily little ears that look around all over the place and is quite content on his adventures on the local lanes. I think a year of doing as much hacking as possible will get us to a great place.

He is BEAUTIFUL!!! 200 miles is a hefty journey, I’m so glad it was made worthwhile for you.

Last edited:

Abi90

Visit site
Abi - I loved your mare anyway, but even more so now with her breeding. Love that pedigree - my boy is by HR too ?

Awww thank you. I love her but I’m biased. She’s just a really useful sort. I really like him as a sire, produced some good show jumpers

ImmyS

Visit site
My 3 year old RID gelding bought unseen from Ireland in March this year.

Been backed and hacked a handful of times and hoping to do a couple of inhand shows in the autumn before he’s turned away. He’s been a little superstar and so excited for his future!

0A10B0B7-895A-4BD0-BFF1-7C35B0E47FD1.jpeg52F27187-1EDA-40D0-9709-6328F670018E.jpeg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I bought a Covid purchase...

Sold a posh horse as I was having a rough time in my family/personal life, needed a furry person to keep me out and about.

I deliberately scoured Preloved for the most unlikely candidate for a ridden horse, but that did still have a prospect of being ridden. I felt rubbish and just wanted a project to love. Enter Rigsby, an aged cob with issues!

He had a lovely owner, but personal illness and Covid restrictions had meant he got laminitis, he was just finishing 3 months of box rest. He had tested positive for EMS, was borderline cushings, had stiffened up in his back legs with the box rest, has copd, cpl, mallenders, oh, and his passport said his sex was a rig! Also, he famously didn't load and wasn't very good in traffic.

Happily, I didn't have to pay a lot!

He was just what I needed. Spent most of winter walking him inland, whilst I dealt with the personal problems (mum had dementia, and then Covid, and then died).

Rigsby has made a ridden horse. He is ace. He is just such a character. I mean, he doesn't do a lot of ridden work, but he has had a go at everything I have asked him to do, including giving pony rides, cantering through the stubble, travelling to riding club pole work sessions, winning hs only dressage (intro) and even having a go at X pole clear round (he had never jumped or been in a school before).

Next week, he is going in his horse box to the local care home, to visit as a pat horse. If get round to it, we may go for a canter on the beach. Or not, I haven't decided as the journey is several hours.

Happily, although he hadn't done much, his previous owner had done stacks of hacking and he was already a happy chappie.

229026007_10221074020744173_6284427774148287396_n.jpg

I am now kind of looking for a more competition animal, but then, I am also enjoying living this life, where I can not ride for 2 weeks, hop on and have no worries. It has given me time to go swimming, cycling, days out, just other stuff.

he is a bit of a faff to keep with the restricted diet, but after 6 months I had the vet back to see how we were doing. He blood tested as NOT a rig, he is no longer showing as ems or anywhere near cushings. He is barefoot. He has some more kids coming for pony rides. Cob life!!!

Last edited:

Clydiegirl

Visit site
My purchase only arrived 2 days ago so I can't give much of an update. He's a 13 month old black cob colt (no known breeding) , pretty much unhandled. I bought him unseen from the same person I have bought 4 others from, including my other current boy. Very early days but he's he's proving to be quite easy and a quick learner.
received_1239502599826411.jpeg

I'm Dun

Visit site
This is mine. Bought unseen, untried and unvetted in a moment of absolute madness! Hes everything I wanted and more. Hes a 6yr old ex racer, terrible race horse as he was bone idle, and hes kept that lovely laid back temperament in civillian life. Hes been off the track about a year and done some show jumping but his flatwork is non exsistant! I'm hoping to do some BE with him next year, so am currently rehabbing his awful feet and working on building him up with lots of hacking and groundwork and very basic schooling.

Everyone from my instructors to the dentist have fallen in love with him. Hes just absolutely beautiful inside and out.

Ignore the terrible mane, I've fixed that now!

217553210_10158558563303667_2741566959128947217_n.jpg

First ever sit on him about an hour after he came off the box. I was relieved to find he was sound, wasnt going to try and kill me and was a lovely happy little chap who will try anything you ask him to do even if he hasnt got a clue.

209546009_10158537230013667_4436631946454265665_n.jpg

All dressed up just to go and trot round the jump field!

236529357_10158613600123667_8996892211628226406_n.jpg

Hes only been here 6 weeks and it feels like hes been here forever.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm waiting .....
??

Another terriery critter to add to my collection - she was 4 months old when we got her but we were just taken with her picture and since we had been looking idly for a younger dog to add in for a while.....

Phoebe!!

Day she arrived (not sure why my arm looks such a weird shape)
IMG_20210812_212723.jpg

About 17 dog beds in the house but she chose the laundry basket

IMG_20210812_212742.jpg

Learning to enjoy a good lie in
IMG_20210812_212804.jpg

She's brave as hell and quite the climber, so she does stuff like this, although on the plus side she seems to enjoy pulling debris out of the gutters while she's up there ?

IMG_20210812_212821.jpg

Now close to 6 months old she is well at home and loves OH
IMG_20210812_212833.jpg

I'm hoping to do a bit of midget agility with her, because I think she'd quite enjoy it :cool::D

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
??

Another terriery critter to add to my collection - she was 4 months old when we got her but we were just taken with her picture and since we had been looking idly for a younger dog to add in for a while.....

Phoebe!!

Day she arrived (not sure why my arm looks such a weird shape)
View attachment 77621

About 17 dog beds in the house but she chose the laundry basket

View attachment 77623

Learning to enjoy a good lie in
View attachment 77622

She's brave as hell and quite the climber, so she does stuff like this, although on the plus side she seems to enjoy pulling debris out of the gutters while she's up there ?

View attachment 77624

Now close to 6 months old she is well at home and loves OH
View attachment 77625

I'm hoping to do a bit of midget agility with her, because I think she'd quite enjoy it :cool::D

What's with the climbing!?

MrsCentaur

Visit site
Merryweather, ‘Merry’, has been home for two months! He is six years old and fifteen hands of bouncy, whizzy cob - my instructor calls him ‘the animated sofa’ because he is so divinely comfortable to ride if you don’t mind going VERY FAST INDEED and only in straight lines. ? I adore him.

We’re in the boundary-testing phase at the moment and I’m not loving it, but there is no malice in him - just a desire to understand the rules and a rider whom is still learning, herself.

D800C39B-3EDC-481E-9B87-691409AC2B7A.jpeg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’m not sure you can really class mine as a covid buy because I’ve only recently bought him!

But TJ was an absolute gem of a find and well within my budget. Originally I wanted a cob, after hunting high and low I realised my budget wasn’t going to get me what I wanted. So I enquired about a friends section d mare that she’d advertised (I’ve always been a welshy girl) however she had decided to keep her due to the amount of time wasters she had. But she mentioned she had a wonderful laid back Arab mare that she would happily put on loan with view to buy - making sure we were both suited etc before purchasing. Arabs are beautiful animals but not a breed id consider owning, but at this point I was happy to consider any breed as long as the temperament was spot on.

Anyway I arrived and she’d been brought in but it took them a while to catch her which was apparently out of character and she wasn’t herself (she’d been out on loan previously and come back in a state) so they weren’t really overly enthusiastic about me trying her and tbh neither was I! So I was miffed but admired their honesty.

However they had a plan b, by this point I was giving up so thought ahh well I may as well try him. As soon as I sat in the saddle I knew he was my horse I’d been waiting for.

So meet TJ, my 8 year old section c gelding. It was love at first sight, we had our first hack together last night and he was absolutely amazing. I even cantered across a field which for me is HUGE on a horse I don’t know.
Today we went in the jumping field to school, I prefer schooling on grass and it’s closer to the yard. I’ve never known a pony (a welsh too!) that prefers to stand in the middle and watch in a field of grass when he could be cantering around instead ?

He’s amazing. I’m absolutely smitten with him, he’s very lazy but he’s unfit. But his temperament is beautiful, he’s cheeky but respectful and I trust him so much already. You can see I’m showing off riding him on the buckle too, showing his old owner how fabulous he is!
View attachment 77595
View attachment 77592View attachment 77593View attachment 77594View attachment 77596
I just love his cheeky little face!

Reactions: PSD

Spottyappy

Visit site
May 2020, trip up the m25 in full lockdown, to Essex. A Friend saw her advert on fb, and messaged to say could we go now and see the mare being advertised, by a riding school.
it wasn’t convenient for them, so the next day, took some cash and the Horsebox, and came back with my lockdown mare.
the M25 was amazing, as it was so quiet. We Saw a few police stopping white van man going up to view, but absolutely none coming back,as I was abit worried about validity of the essential journey.…
I wanted a happy hacker, riding school weren’t even sure she would hack as they didn’t hack due to insurance requirements. She was being sold as she was very opinionated and not suitable for a riding school. I also wanted a welsh section D, as we show them. She is a part bred.
she is the most fantastic hack, and very safe. She can indeed be very opinionated,especially with her hind legs. The riding school did not do any research on her, or they would have sold her for 10x what I paid, as she not only has BS points, but also was reserve champion one year at the Royal welsh show. She is not that keen on jumping, but my feet don’t leave the ground so that is fine By me! She seems to have been passed around quite abit, maybe as she is opinionated or maybe as she isn’t quite as honest jumping as kids tend to need, as she is just 14.2hh.
However, unless my situation changes, she won’t be sold on, and doesn’t need to worry about jumping again, so she can enjoy mainly being a happy hacker.

Attachments

• 6141A674-2328-436C-8797-FF155696E595.jpeg
    6141A674-2328-436C-8797-FF155696E595.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 81

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine is called Meg and was a real covid panic buy during the first lockdown. I lost my companion pony unexpectedly and my cob wasn't coping well alone, so bought (unseen and unvetted) a 6yr old cob mare from a riding school / trekking yard that was closing down, mostly on the terrible basis that she looks a lot like my cob. I didn't spend more than I could afford to lose and basically took a punt. Her main job is as a companion but she's also officially my daughters pony.

We've taken things very slowly, mostly my fault as busy at work, but so far she's as bombproof and sensible as promised and as green as expected. She had mallenders and mites when she arrived but they cleared up ok. Hind hoof handling is STILL a work in progress, which is annoying, but otherwise I'm pretty pleased.

I only have one photo of her on my phone, looking very hairy in the middle of winter:

DSCF6199.JPG

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh, well if we're talking dogs as well, yes, I got a Covid dog too. Only, I didn't buy him...

After mum's accident, in 2019 she moved to an extra care facility so we had to re-home her dog. We told the people that if it didn't work out, we would take him in ourselves. Half way through lockdown, we got the call. Crackers was coming to us.

Not what we wanted, but he is actually lovely, in his own way :rolleyes:. A reminder of mum too. I think he is 7 or 8, and a good pal for Hekkie.

214169460_10220932635329626_7538672614927803779_n.jpg

217392361_10220961929381959_1199918989205329096_n.jpg

213182974_10220919262635317_5458538685355215409_n.jpg

PSD

Visit site
May 2020, trip up the m25 in full lockdown, to Essex. A Friend saw her advert on fb, and messaged to say could we go now and see the mare being advertised, by a riding school.
it wasn’t convenient for them, so the next day, took some cash and the Horsebox, and came back with my lockdown mare.
the M25 was amazing, as it was so quiet. We Saw a few police stopping white van man going up to view, but absolutely none coming back,as I was abit worried about validity of the essential journey.…
I wanted a happy hacker, riding school weren’t even sure she would hack as they didn’t hack due to insurance requirements. She was being sold as she was very opinionated and not suitable for a riding school. I also wanted a welsh section D, as we show them. She is a part bred.
she is the most fantastic hack, and very safe. She can indeed be very opinionated,especially with her hind legs. The riding school did not do any research on her, or they would have sold her for 10x what I paid, as she not only has BS points, but also was reserve champion one year at the Royal welsh show. She is not that keen on jumping, but my feet don’t leave the ground so that is fine By me! She seems to have been passed around quite abit, maybe as she is opinionated or maybe as she isn’t quite as honest jumping as kids tend to need, as she is just 14.2hh.
However, unless my situation changes, she won’t be sold on, and doesn’t need to worry about jumping again, so she can enjoy mainly being a happy hacker.

She’s a really lovely type! Love her markings.

Spotherisk

Visit site
After Tinner was pts in Feb 2020 I thought I’d want another horse but then prices went up and my mojo went down, and in May 2021 I bought a puppy.
Rew is a small lurcher, four months old now and whippet size - very personable!

Attachments

• 510EBC24-95F1-4498-89CD-3ADDC9C95A25.jpeg
    510EBC24-95F1-4498-89CD-3ADDC9C95A25.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 22
  • A29F14CC-5076-42D6-819E-113703ABD060.jpeg
    A29F14CC-5076-42D6-819E-113703ABD060.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 22
  • A367FE5A-734A-429B-A44E-EBBC8F4E8220.jpeg
    A367FE5A-734A-429B-A44E-EBBC8F4E8220.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 23

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have acquired 2 :oops: One planned before we had ever heard of covid but she was born in lockdown ;) at home because we didn't know what would happen with travelling etc, so a baptism of fire for me but mum achieved a pretty textbook delivery.

bit of a long term project for this thread really :p Not a lot to do for now except slowly add to her education and wait for her to grow up, but I've been completely besotted since day 1, she is my ideal sort of character of horse - bold, cheeky, sassy and quick to learn :)

117182043_3502872343057584_1134884248146971223_n.jpg

Oh and well I suppose Frankel fits the brief a bit better, he arrived in December via another HHOer, unseen then rising 3yo who is now beginning his journey to being a ridden horse. He's so ready to learn stuff even if he's still a bit weak, so aiming to quietly plod along just installing the concepts this year and then pick him up properly next spring.

235260069_4588657674479040_7891120856278563119_n.jpg