Newly backed pony won’t move forwards

ktj1891

Visit site
In that case you need to take her back onto the lunge, get her reacting to the voice and re-introduce the leg aids. Then I suggest you have some lessons on a different horse and concentrate on keeping your legs still and quiet on the horse's side. This horse was walking forwards, admittedly not quickly but she was going forwards and you just kept nagging at her.
100% agree I was asking continually when I shouldn’t have but I was feeling from on top that I had to because she was just going to stop.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would be really careful hacking - she does look very unsure of herself. Can you 'hack around a field on the yard and be in an enclosed space / no where near roads.

How about hiring one of the dummys you can use for breaking - then if she explodes nobody gets hurt.

Or you can make a DIY one with an old pair of jeans filled with sand / soil.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They didn’t break her my YO did. She went back and they didn’t continue. I don’t know the reason why except they hunt and I think they was expecting a bigger horse as they bred her but I know she wasn’t naughty or that there was any issues.

Well there are issues now, that isn't just a newly broken horse, her body language is screaming that she's very unhappy. Please be careful, you look likely to be sent into orbit if you carry on as things are.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The horse is paying no attention to you whatsoever, she's gawking all round her and ignoring you and appears to not know what the aids are. Put her back on the lunge and get her moving forwards - really forwards - stop kicking (never ever kick a breaker), and clicking; she hasn't a clue what you're asking and seems to be annoyed at your aids rather than understanding the job. For everyone diagnosing allsorts, it's impossible to see what is going on until she stops crouching and spooking all round the place and starts to move.

ETA, if you can't get her forwards, have someone (a really, really experienced someone) on the ground with a lunge whip to send her calmly forward.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The horse is paying no attention to you whatsoever, she's gawking all round her and ignoring you and appears to not know what the aids are. Put her back on the lunge and get her moving forwards - really forwards - stop kicking (never ever kick a breaker), and clicking; she hasn't a clue what you're asking and seems to be annoyed at your aids rather than understanding the job. For everyone diagnosing allsorts, it's impossible to see what is going on until she stops crouching and spooking all round the place and starts to move.

ETA, if you can't get her forwards, have someone (a really, really experienced someone) on the ground with a lunge whip to send her calmly forward.

You've just saved me from typing EXACTLY the same.

ktj1891

Visit site

This is the thing on the lunge she’s fine she listens to my voice aid to trot and walk. I do transitions with her. She’s not great on double lines though does the same won’t walk unless someone is by her head.

I agree she’s always looking around and it’s for other horses or hearing what’s going on in the yard.

She was much better on the lunge and listened A LOT better and then I walked her around on the yard after and she was a good as well even trotted with just me asking.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
This is the thing on the lunge she’s fine she listens to my voice aid to trot and walk. I do transitions with her. She’s not great on double lines though does the same won’t walk unless someone is by her head.

I agree she’s always looking around and it’s for other horses or hearing what’s going on in the yard.

She was much better on the lunge and listened A LOT better and then I walked her around on the yard after and she was a good as well even trotted with just me asking.
Then put her back on the lunge and have someone EXPERIENCED lunge you on her until she's going forwards and finds her balance under the rider. What is happening in the video is not a useful way to start a horse's training.

Buster2020

Visit site
i had that problem I could not get my mare to move got the phiso out turn out her back was massed up she was extremely tight in the back which was causing her to be in pain . There was a massive difference when I fixed the issue. Would you not consider getting a phiso to look at her.

dominobrown

Visit site
What Cortez said.... There is no point kicking anyways as she doesn't understand it and you will irritate her! IMO you are few steps ahead of yourself, I would have her lunging and doing transitions on the lunge and then lunging with 2 two reins and working up to long reining, again so she can go forward independently, when confident on the long reins out and about (as long as safe) so you can gauge her reaction to things. Be very clear with your voice aids. Also you may need someone on the ground helping you, either leading or on lunge so she can associate the forward 'ground aid' with a ridden one.
Also if you keep asking the same question (kicking with legs) and not getting the result you want, and not correcting that, then you are teaching that it is ok to barely move forward off your leg. Go back to halt, ask with the 'perfect' leg aid to walk on (at this stage as voice cue too) and if you get a positive response reward, such as scratch on the neck. If you are ignored then have a helper on the ground help you. Repeat this so overtime you use the aid there is a result and reassurance to horse what is right and wrong. Hope this makes sense, looks like a sweet horse.

IrishMilo

Visit site
What's she like out hacking? I'd be tempted to get her in an open field and get her opened up alongside another horse...

ktj1891

Visit site
Then put her back on the lunge and have someone EXPERIENCED lunge you on her until she's going forwards and finds her balance under the rider. What is happening in the video is not a useful way to start a horse's training.
Completely agree. I will go back a few steps and get her doing forward more confidently on the ground and work on the lunge when on board.

ktj1891

Visit site
i had that problem I could not get my mare to move got the phiso out turn out her back was massed up she was extremely tight in the back which was causing her to be in pain . There was a massive difference when I fixed the issue. Would you not consider getting a phiso to look at her.
Yes she has chiro in just over a week.

ktj1891

Visit site
What Cortez said.... There is no point kicking anyways as she doesn't understand it and you will irritate her! IMO you are few steps ahead of yourself, I would have her lunging and doing transitions on the lunge and then lunging with 2 two reins and working up to long reining, again so she can go forward independently, when confident on the long reins out and about (as long as safe) so you can gauge her reaction to things. Be very clear with your voice aids. Also you may need someone on the ground helping you, either leading or on lunge so she can associate the forward 'ground aid' with a ridden one.
Also if you keep asking the same question (kicking with legs) and not getting the result you want, and not correcting that, then you are teaching that it is ok to barely move forward off your leg. Go back to halt, ask with the 'perfect' leg aid to walk on (at this stage as voice cue too) and if you get a positive response reward, such as scratch on the neck. If you are ignored then have a helper on the ground help you. Repeat this so overtime you use the aid there is a result and reassurance to horse what is right and wrong. Hope this makes sense, looks like a sweet horse.
Completely agree hence why I asked for help as I knew it’s just not right.

I’ll go back a few steps and work on the ground for longer and intertwine some ridden sessions.

Equi

Visit site
She looks very nervous and uncertain about things and clearly is not taking the lead from you. Is this indoor the only place there is to ride her? She might feel more comfortable in an outdoor.

To add, how much voice work have you done with her on the floor? As cortex says use the lunge and have "walk on" be a very safe word/command for her

TPO

Visit site
Maybe have a look at some training by Warwick Schiller, Joe Midgely or Richard Maxwell (whoever suits you best).

They all do groundwork based in getting a connection that can be transferred to ridden work. They all do video subscription services and have series around backing horses too. There are plenty of free videos, especially from Warwick, online too.

It doesnt look as though the horse is paying any attention to you. Warwick and Joe do flexing exercises to sort of do a "safety check" before moving off. For starting horses Warwick does spiralling as that is easier for the horse to understand initially than asked to go large around a school.

Horses learn from the release of pressure i.e. make the right thing easy. Its unlikely that the mare understands "pony club kicks" and when she goes forward to try to find the release she is (accidentally) caught in the mouth and therefore taught that forward is the wrong answer.

It does appear like there are holes in the foundations of her training. I appreciate and understand that, for example, horses don't HAVE to lunge with two reins. However that she "doesnt like" it means that there is something worrying her and/or a misunderstanding. Ideally that should be dealt with before progressing; ultimately dealing with something seemingly unrelated usually has an impact further down the line.

I'm not sure I agree that there is something drastically wrong with her as she is so tight/tense/hollow that her gait and natural action are affected by that. I would work, on the ground initially, on getting her relaxed and listening before transferring those skills to ridden work.

I know you've mentioned TRT but I've zero experience of that however I do know that the three I mentioned (& probably numerous others) provide a pathway and checklist, so to speak, and I know that is helpful to me.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm not usually one for suggesting physical issues in green horses because I've seen/experienced them looking all kinds of lame when they are first under saddle....but I would agree with those that suggest a physical issue is a strong possibility with this one.

In any case, you definitely need to ride her with more discipline (completely understand that you know this and it is mighty hard with something that is trying to stop every stride), and probably get help on the ground for a while until she understands. Hacking somewhere safe in company will do her no harm, and will at least let you see if she can move forwards properly under saddle.

Ossy2

Visit site
I’m not going to comment on whether there’s something wrong or not as it’s very difficult to tell in that video as she’s so completely ignoring you and as the poster above said I’ve seen babies looking all kinds of weirdness in the early days, so on schooling point You say she isn’t great to long rein either? That’s what I would want established before I get on any breaker. I’d get two reins round her and make sure she knows how to go forward.

tristar

Visit site
when in doubt do the obvious, lunge and longrein , lean over, get on, have assistant lead her forwards, as follows, you put on leg, say walk on by using firm leg aid, assistant leads her forwards, you keep leg on until moving away from leg, and allowing forward with soft hands, and softer encouraging leg, walk 30 yards, then you say woo, assistant and you hold bit gently and stop, i would do this every day for a week a least until she absorbs the habit of forward to the leg, then without the assistant leading just walking by the horses head not holding the rein.

sometimes you just need to make a habit, or make yourself clear, no whips, kicking or hurry, allow her brain to compute what is being asked, a few seconds or repeat quietly until the result happens, the assistant will make sure it happens, so clear instructions to show whats wanted.

i do whatever is needed, however its going to happen, somehow its going to happen, they just need to understand what you want, one step at a time.

could`nt see the video so hope she`s ok

ktj1891

Visit site
Isla today after popping her on the lunge before going it alone.
Thanks to those with helpful advice. Going to keep working her like this and predominately on the ground for a little while now.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TheMule

Visit site
Thanks to those with helpful advice. Going to keep working her like this and predominately on the ground for a little while now.

Well that’s much better, well done!

Marigold4

Visit site

Much better. Lots of positive reinforcement letting her know she's doing the right thing. Well done.

tristar

Visit site
don`t focus on forward too much she has no balance,

focus on teaching her to go away from your leg, walk to trot back to walk, to halt, repeat etc, giving her time to process what you are asking,

when the trot dies, walk a bit, then ask for trot, don`t say `go on`, say trot! ask nicely and clearly, make sure you are sitting well, prepare before asking, and you allow her to go into a loose ish contact

try to go large not on a circle, cause your`re asking for two things at once on the video, forward and a circle and she has no balance yet, forward straight, rhythm then she will find balance.