Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyermc

Visit site
Jane I am sorry to ask you this question but how do they know this is what happens if
A. She was not seen struggling and as such no rescue attempt was made because it was not seen. Or if it she was seen struggling surely a rescue attempt was made and actions recorded
B. If it is assumed she was lost in this god awful manner but not seen during the issue, how could they prove this was the poor mares fate if her body was not recovered.
I am do sorry for your loss and I know how painful this thread and my questions are. So may i apologise for any upset I may cause.

exactly - could the fire have been started by arson with the view to steal the horse? im not saying the stud/staff were involved, but if the stud did have a fire evacuation plan, its foreseeable that the mare would be in a field 'somewhere' and staff distracted!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
exactly - could the fire have been started by arson with the view to steal the horse? im not saying the stud/staff were involved, but if the stud did have a fire evacuation plan, its foreseeable that the mare would be in a field 'somewhere' and staff distracted!
I don't think that would ge viable.... more like some awful incident occurred and fire was set to cover it up.

INDIA1999

Visit site
Do we def know the slurry pool is that point on the map that looks like an old arena shape wise?

Just that if you walk down the road it's not there and those fields have been ploughed...

That's what I thought but then I realised that the Streetview is really really old and winter. The google earth is more recent and summer.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I know what you mean, but if Newton stud (im assuming) is the buildings near the red flag on the map, how many fields would you want to pass before turning a horse out in an emergency?

Yeah I agree with you, it was the sudden rather soap opera descent into speculation about the fire a few posts back that caused me to ??

JaneSewell

Visit site
And you can win and they bankrupt themselves so they don't have to pay you, as happened to fiends of mine.
... that is what I was afraid of ... which is why I joined in Eddie Hosegood who owned the land and operated the lagoon on a commercial basis...

Frumpoon

Visit site
I believe the lagoon is 2 huge fields away ... the 'in her panic' narrative makes no sense whatsoever...

I’m so sorry for your loss Jane. I think you’ve been remarkably composed and dignified in this. The whole scenario doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny or make sense. What do you think really happened?

I know what I think but that is only speculation of course

JaneSewell

Visit site
I’m so sorry for your loss Jane. I think you’ve been remarkably composed and dignified in this. The whole scenario doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny or make sense. What do you think really happened?

I know what I think but that is only speculation of course

Thank you ... I genuinely don't know... I can only rely on what Newton Stud have told me ... and that has changed from what they were saying during the court case ... It honestly doesn't make sense to say that "in her panic she ran through the gate..." ... she was apparently not found until the next day... if she had been in a panic then surely the staff would have been there and tried to save her... not just left her until the next day...? and there is no narrative whatsoever around retrieving her body, a veterinary inspection or what ultimately apparently happened to her body...??

McFluff

Visit site
This whole situation is horrendous. Heart goes out to all those who’ve lost horses. Legal cases won’t even consider the emotional losses.

I must admit that I wouldn’t expect an animal waste slurry pit to be part of the offering described below (from their own website).

The stud is run by Lorna Wilson and Eddie Hosegood as part of a large beef, sheep and arable farm. Due to our farming activities the horses have access to the best possible quality pasture and forage. In addition, we are in the fortunate position of being able to provide the horses with hard feed where a high proportion of the ingredients are grown on site. Not only are we comfortable in the knowledge that our stock has the best grazing, feed, forage and bedding possible but also have the added assurance that it does not contain any artificial or potentially harmful additives.

I also would expect the best and speediest vet attention from somewhere that actually owns their own vet company.

The learning for us all has to be to look beyond the glossy image and ask to see risk assessments and safe systems of work.

So sad, and so needless. Surely it costs less to have robust risk assessments and training and safe systems of work than to resolve legal disputes...

Reactions: TPO

Frumpoon

Visit site
Thank you ... I genuinely don't know... I can only rely on what Newton Stud have told me ... and that has changed from what they were saying during the court case ... It honestly doesn't make sense to say that "in her panic she ran through the gate..." ... she was apparently not found until the next day... if she had been in a panic then surely the staff would have been there and tried to save her... not just left her until the next day...? and there is no narrative whatsoever around retrieving her body, a veterinary inspection or what ultimately apparently happened to her body...??

The subtext I am reading is that the fire happened at night...is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.