Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I was being sarcastic ffs, not 'being silly'. Just pointing out that NS are making copious quantities of money on mares they have been gifted and they won't be paying when their own negligence leads to them coming to harm.
I was being sarcastic too about newton and their money grabbing ways. I was agreeing with you !

Flyermc

Visit site
Dont be silly. It's the person whom has paid for the foal.....and they probably will charge the owner of the free mare too. They seem to be an organisation that us only interested in kerching. They probably put an uplift and admin charges on the vets bills too.

Neither, they dont seem to be to 'hot' on getting vets, they probably just leave it and 'hope' for the best!!

Flyermc

Visit site
Yes, and that tallies with the Google maps aerial shot.
View attachment 66783
And the video that the stud proudly posts of the bedding being blown into the youngstock barn, by a huge tractor, with frightened youngsters milling around :eek::eek::eek:.

View attachment 66784

No competent outfit would do such a thing. Terrible and dangerous practice. The airborne dust and spores flying around within the barn, the huge tractor in a building with youngstock, the danger of foreign bodies such as stones being fired at the horses.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The really walked all that way, to that field, from that yard in an emergency evacuation??? I honestly do not believe NS's story

McFluff

Visit site
Neither, they dont seem to be to 'hot' on getting vets, they probably just leave it and 'hope' for the best!!

But they own the vets, and this is part of the glossy PR.

I really can’t understand this - they have all the set up to do this well, but seem to cut corners, at the expense of the horses (and their unsuspecting owners). Relying on NDA is a bonkers policy - well done to Jane for holding firm and speaking up. Very brave. Hopefully you’ll save others, and so sorry for your loss.

Equi

Visit site
I have to admit one of my first thoughts was how did they get the body out, but now I find they maybe havent?! So did they SEE her in the pit and just leave it to naturally go away? Is that legal? I’m very sickened by this.

INDIA1999

Visit site
I have no idea. It was mentioned previously that NDA's were used and it intrigued me because I wondered how many and why. Seemed a bit odd if true.

I think confidentiality agreements are fairly commonplace in court settlements (or out of court settlements). I suppose the issue with them in this context (horse wellbeing or safety) is that whatever has happened is not allowed to be spoken about or be in the public domain. If there was one matter/issue/case of negligence I suppose I could see some merit in an NDA providing both parties came to it willingly, not under duress (ie settlement is on these terms or else) and lessons had been learnt. If there has been more than one NDA then that starts to look like issues are being concealed and that's stops feeling OK.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I think confidentiality agreements are fairly commonplace in court settlements (or out of court settlements). I suppose the issue with them in this context (horse wellbeing or safety) is that whatever has happened is not allowed to be spoken about or be in the public domain. If there was one matter/issue/case of negligence I suppose I could see some merit in an NDA providing both parties came to it willingly, not under duress (ie settlement is on these terms or else) and lessons had been learnt. If there has been more than one NDA then that starts to look like issues are being concealed and that's stops feeling OK.

Yeah, as I said before, NDA's are common practice in some cases and industries, but I don't understand the context here either.

I guess they could offer a handsome settlement and apology in exchange for a NDA. Money can really sway people. A one off matter, perhaps, but when it becomes multiple, it's odd. I have no idea what the case is here, and it's likely never to be confirmed.

However, if they really do have a lot of cases, accidents, or negligence, I would think their insurance would be sky high.

The only thing I know for sure about them is that I wouldn't use them as they're too commercial and mass producing for my tastes, but they're in it for the money, I am not.

This thread has really put them on blast so I'm sure they are not pleased about it. Or maybe they don't care as business is still good.

This is a general statement, not specifically related to Newton Stud: You can literally get away with murder in this industry, and it blows my mind. The things that fly in the horse world are unbelievable. Possibly due to money and power leverages, I don't know.

Last edited:

Fandabbydozy

New User
Visit site
I have no idea. It was mentioned previously that NDA's were used and it intrigued me because I wondered how many and why. Seemed a bit odd if true.
You will never be able to find out how many NDAs have been signed because they are just that...Non Disclosure Agreements. Breach of them would have serious consequences so the stud have effectively gagged people. Sadly, because of finances people have little choice but to sign...Imagine having lost thousands & legal fees mounting...you know you have an excellent case but to see it through to court will cost many thousands more & to be honest, the people I have spoken to thought ‘they were the only ones & just unlucky’ Thankfully Jane has been able to bring all this into the open

Frumpoon

Visit site
I didn’t think NDA’s were actually enforceable in this country? Or rather enforcing them would be financially unviable because of the aforementioned legal costs of doing so

As somebody who has been party to a high court case where one party represented themselves I can say that judges can be pretty sympathetic where the ‘poorer’ party is there on a moral/circumstantial argument rather than a complex point of law

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
You will never be able to find out how many NDAs have been signed because they are just that...Non Disclosure Agreements. Breach of them would have serious consequences so the stud have effectively gagged people. Sadly, because of finances people have little choice but to sign...Imagine having lost thousands & legal fees mounting...you know you have an excellent case but to see it through to court will cost many thousands more & to be honest, the people I have spoken to thought ‘they were the only ones & just unlucky’ Thankfully Jane has been able to bring all this into the open

Yes, I know this.

I must come off as an idiot sometimes ?

Fandabbydozy

New User
Visit site
Yes, I know this.

I must come off as an idiot sometimes ?
Haha! No! Not at all...it just annoys me a bit when people question why someone has signed one..I know someone in that very position & the last thing they wanted to do was sign an NDA but they couldn’t afford not to..thought they were fighting a lone battle....little did they know

Status
Not open for further replies.