Nicola Wilson Update

Follysmum

Visit site
She has an amazing positive attitude, reading her journey so far has been very uplifting. I am 3 years into a spinal cord Injury which stopped my riding, I was hacking no jumping involved , just a freak fall which I landed wrong on very hard ground. I also lost feelings in legs and arms temporarily which is the most scary thing ever.

She is very inspiring and seems a lovely lady , wishing her the very best.

windswoo

Visit site
I watched Burghley on BBC2 yesterday after going on Saturday - couldn't believe the interview with Nicola. I hadn't seen the initial fall or watched any of the videos of her on-going rehabilitation, so I hadn't realised that she is (probably - never say never) going to compete again. I knew that the fall was bad, but it was a shock to see. But what a woman - the way she spoke and the attitude/positivity from her after what she has been through what a legend. I hope that she continues to get better and as she said take the next part of her journey with as much guts and determination as her eventing career.
As a competitor and teammate, I'm sure she'll be greatly missed in the sport, but as she said she will still be involved in some way.

Patterdale

Visit site
Nicola Wilson is such a massive inspiration for her positive attitude. Many’s the time in the past few months when I will be moaning thinking I’ve got it tough, then I will remember her updates and give myself a good shake.
She’s just amazing and I wish she wasn’t going through this, but I have so so much respect for her.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
She is being really strong and hopefully will be able to walk in the future , and who knows may be able to hack if thats what she would like to do… i really hope she can have a near normal life..

Bobthecob15

Visit site
A spinal injury of that scale was always going to have a slow and difficult recovery, she's amazingly positive and has done wonders. Could tell from the early photos of her being hoisted etc it was worse than people initially thought. Amazing woman

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Nicola Wilson is such a massive inspiration for her positive attitude. Many’s the time in the past few months when I will be moaning thinking I’ve got it tough, then I will remember her updates and give myself a good shake.
She’s just amazing and I wish she wasn’t going through this, but I have so so much respect for her.

I said exactly this too. I actually welled up watching her interview, it was incredibly humbling and hugely inspiring.

What a woman.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Its great to see how well Nicola is progressing after such an awful fall. she has such a positive outlook. A friend of mine came down with her mare a month ago and was catapulted on to her head. She broke vertebrae 1 and 2 in her neck. After 3 weeks in ICU she discharged herself. Amazingly she can walk, and has movement in her arms/hands though I believe she has some loss of sensation. She is being cared for at home by her wonderful husband. I popped in to see her last week she told me the docs had said 92% of people with her injury don't survive. Kind of brings it all into perspective that way. Those of us who climb aboard half tonne of muscle, power and free will are nuts!

sunnyone

Visit site
I was really pleased with the BBC for showing Nicola's progress, otherwise the programme was too many interviews and not enough action to my mind.
It's good to know that she is progressing , she has every good wish for her speed of recovery that I can send.

windswoo

Visit site
I never sold my first horse's saddle after he died, luckily, I was able to get it adjusted when I got my third horse. It's the only physical reminder I've got of him.
That must have been quite difficult for Nicola - it's definitely saying she's not going to compete again isn't it?

Bob notacob

Visit site
No, a saddle is just a saddle! As a Neurosurgeon once told me ,Its the last unknown frontier in medicine.(not saddles ,nerves). You can never be sure that someone is beyond recovery. It is 10 years ago last Sunday that I was scraped up off a xc course. ICU for 4 weeks. Right upper side of my body paralysed more or less. Right diaphragm paralysed (a real bugger!). Was told by GP that it "would be a miracle beyond medical science " to regain these functions as the nerves were crushed . Well folks ,I've got at least 90% back. Oh and don,t know where she is now ,but I got a lot of support from a HHO poster called Kerrilli , so thank you if you are still out there.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I just saw the update too and had tears in my eyes, it's so amazing to see how much leg use she has regained so quickly and her positivity is incredible.
So happy to see she's home.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Last edited:

Bearsmum

Visit site
What a great improvement, I remember watching on tv and my first thought was oh goodness her family are probably there and have just seen that

helffrich

Visit site
Once again from across the pond: I've been keeping up with Nicola's recovery and, believe me, many of us are as well.
Amazing lady and rider. And to know that through all that she's been through, she'll still be an active member of the eventing community, is the best news!!!!