No field shelter, hot stables. In or out?!

LittleBlueBird

Visit site
Planning won’t allow any type of field shelter which I think is awful, fields are open only a little shelter from trees along part of the fence in the afternoon. The stables get really hot and stuffy but out of the full sun. They’ve forecast 25 degrees today, if there’s a breeze fine if not would you bring in or leave out?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I’ve a horse with me at the moment who wears a PE extra light fly sheet which is marketed as being cool and reflective. I’m not a fan of PE rugs but the fly sheet is impressive, the horse is out full time and is cool under the rug.

It looks and feels like plastic compared to the traditional amigo rugs that I use. The horse is much cooler to the touch than the others in their amigo rugs.

SO1

Visit site
Can you give them a full clip which is what I did for my pony a few weeks ago.

It is going to be really hot next week 30C forna fee days and high 20s. Global warming may lead to hotter summers.

Widgeon

Visit site
If it's any help, we have a thick shelter belt on all four sides of the field, and there is always somewhere the horses can find shade or shelter. Where do they choose to be? Smack in the middle of the field, even on the hottest days.

Same here. He could be under the shade of the trees, but no, he's right out in the middle of the field dozing and sweltering under the hot afternoon sun.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Out, they will find the most comfortable place to he for themselves. Could you put up some kind of awning/ overhang on the stables to provide extra shade?

Hallo2012

Visit site
People who've got fans, how do you set them up? We've got swallows in all the outbuildings, and I don't want the swallows to get chopped up by the fan blades :oops: or indeed cr@p all over the fans.

we nailed two uprights of wood in corner, so we can slot the fan behind it and tilt it down on to horses, and then remove each night.

They are rechargeable ones, they wouldn't chop up a bird :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d go with out.. however I’m lucky enough to have a safe gate I can leave open onto my yard and previous summers let them choose, one in particular was always in, often the others would choose to come in out of the flies or sun, even though my wooden boxes get hot.
I can’t do that now as the current little gang don’t get on well enough to stable share (they tend to crowd into one together!)
I have let trees grow up over the back of my stables and we cut “windows” out at the back. It’s made a massive difference into how useable they are in summer now. Realise not everyone can butcher their stables or grow trees but if you can I’d recommend!

Goldenstar

Visit site
You have to let the horses tell you .
I used to have hot stables at top yard until we got it sorted by doing something to the roof
I had extra ventilation put in and use stall bars .
My experience is once the horse flys start the horses would rather be standing shaded inside even if it’s hot than out and hot and pestered .
I am lucky now the stables I have stables are fabulous in heat the horses can’t wait to get in .

palo1

Visit site
If you can't modify the stables then a full clip, washing the horses down and leaving out would probably be best for them. If you can get hold of a cooling rug or two they may be worth trying. Perhaps a temporary sail would be acceptable for the land-owner too. Clipping my black horse and water cooling her in the late morning/early afternoon really seems to help too.

palo1

Visit site
You have to let the horses tell you .
I used to have hot stables at top yard until we got it sorted by doing something to the roof
I had extra ventilation put in and use stall bars .
My experience is once the horse flys start the horses would rather be standing shaded inside even if it’s hot than out and hot and pestered .
I am lucky now the stables I have stables are fabulous in heat the horses can’t wait to get in .

Yes, ours will spend hours in the barn in hot, fly-ridden weather - they can come and go freely but barely venture out of the barn for ages at a time!

Marigold4

Visit site
People who've got fans, how do you set them up? We've got swallows in all the outbuildings, and I don't want the swallows to get chopped up by the fan blades :oops: or indeed cr@p all over the fans.

My fans have a cage in front so my birds (doves) aren't injured. Baby swallows might though but you could put chicken wire in front? My husband fixed the fans quite high up inside on stable wall and we've angled them down on to the horses. They love them and stand directly under the airflow. Keeps flies away too.

Sealine

Visit site
Do those of you who choose to clip in summer find the horses attract more flies? Apologies if that sounds odd but I bought my horse (many years ago) in August he had been clipped out. I would find him literally covered in hundreds of flies and bitten to buggery so I had to use a fly rug. I've never clipped him in summer and never had to use a fly rug again so I assumed it was the clipping that caused the fly problem.

Widgeon

Visit site
It’s not in any way the same as dogs in cars ,horses thermoregulate extremely well dogs can’t .
Flys and biting insects make horses lives misery in hot weather .

I assume that MM was meaning that it is similar in that "The stables get really hot and stuffy". So the OP is not choosing between out in the sun and the flies and in in a nice cool, well ventilated stable - instead it's more about the lesser of two evils. I don't think anyone would claim that a well built and ventilated stable is in any way similar to a hot car.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Do those of you who choose to clip in summer find the horses attract more flies? Apologies if that sounds odd but I bought my horse (many years ago) in August he had been clipped out. I would find him literally covered in hundreds of flies and bitten to buggery so I had to use a fly rug. I've never clipped him in summer and never had to use a fly rug again so I assumed it was the clipping that caused the fly problem.
It isn’t odd. I thought the same when I had a cob that needed clipping out all year round. I’m not sure he attracted them more but assume the small amount of hair they have gives a little natural protection. If we take it away they can bite or even just irritate the skin easier perhaps?
I too used a a good fly sheet.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine will be in, he has a bar across his stable door so its open to a breeze and i took the top half of the front away a few years ago to allow more light and air. He will be monitored and hosed down a few times and he likes to just stand in and snooze!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It’s not in any way the same as dogs in cars ,horses thermoregulate extremely well dogs can’t .
Flys and biting insects make horses lives misery in hot weather .
yeah. my stables on the yard are hot in the morning (cooler in the afternoon but still warmer than where i used to be with lovely airy barns :( )

the horses are still better off inside than out in the exposed fields where the flies plague them. it's hot everywhere so they may as well be hot and fly-free.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I think out is always better than a boiling hot stable.

And personally, I wouldn’t clip, I would leave für on to protect them from flies. But I don’t have very hairy natives.