No real control.

Kallibear

Visit site
I beg to differ - back in the dim and distant past, I did a lot of sales prep of yearling TB colts, and of warmbloods for the continental sales. I feel most comfortable right behind the shoulder, close to the horse. The people who got landed on were generally those jumped out of the way, whereas those who stayed close, and pulled the little stinkers head round, were the ones who kept their feet close to the ground and got them going forwards again quickly

From the experience of rearers they usually go up and flip the head up to release pressure, then often start to back up. It's too easy to get the end of a short rope snatched out our hands (esp if you're not paying attention) so I like a longer rope for that.

Auslander

Visit site
If you're working with well behaved well trained horses and you're just leading to/ from the stable/field, tying up etc then there's absolutely no benefit in a longer rope. But they're very useful when dealing with a difficult, fresh or excitable horse (for the reasons I stated initially) and for that I'd always chose one over a standard length rope or a bridle.

Ok. That's kind of where I was coming from. I manage pretty well with a normal length rope, even when they're being idiots, because I prefer to be close, with an elbow in the shoulder if necessary.

If everyone did things the same, there'd be no discussion though. Different strokes for different folks eh!

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
If it's a normal well behaved horse then just a headcollar or bridle should be fine. If its a scatty youngster then yes a long piece of rope makes it easier to keep hold without getting kicked in the head if it rears. I don't meticulously measure out 12' of rope though, or keep an expensive 12' Line and Carrot stick stashed away for such occasions, I'm not that anal... A long bit of blue rope is fine.

And those awful string halters are really severe if the're not used sympathetically, and can do a lot of damage to the nerves horses in the poll and neck . I'd only use a pressure halter in specific training sessions to teach it to lead properly, that's why my horses can be led safely in a headcollar...

Kallibear

Visit site
....and those type of 12ft ropes give you an absolutely fabulous rope burn too if you've forgotten to wear your gloves.

Worst rope burn I ever had was a short twisted cotton leadrope (nasty horrible things)! Horse reared and I had to grip tightly not to loose it. With a long rope I can apply ABS;)

Of course I ALWAYS wear gloves as per BHS instructions ;) And a hat....... :eek:

Auslander

Visit site
Well - I figure we've worked it out. Those who are used to using long ropes may run into trouble with short ones because they aren't used to using them, and those who are used to using short ropes may run into trouble using long ones because they're not used to using them.

PR just thought it would be a great opportunity to have a dig at those who don't absolutely follow his path of righteousness. In reality, the poor person would probably have got mashed whether she was using a bridle, a rope headcollar, a 24'00000 ft line, or a dog lead. She didn't necessarily get hurt because of what she was or wasn't using. They're horses, and sometimes they hurt you.

Lets all have a nice cup of tea eh?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
A 12ft long rope would annoy me. I've got one extra long leadrope, which irritates me intensely. I can't chuck it over the horses neck while I'm doing other stuff, because it trails on the ground. I can't tie up without the end dangling on the ground, and I have to wrap it round the gate post twice so that the end doesn't end up on the floor. MOST annoyingly, the one time I needed a longer rope (because new horse bogged off in hand), it was on the wrong horse!

You bought that when you were with me. I have one for Cam but only because where we were hacking at the time we had to load/unload near a road and I wanted the extra length just in case he spooked at something. You know what a fire breathing dragon he is. ;) I brought my three in three different ways tonight. One had a rope around his neck, one had a headcollar and leadrope and one I couldn't even get near, so he was herded in. Yes, that devil Welsh Sec A. :eek: But I can lead mine around by fly masks/rugs as long as grass is not more interesting. :)

Kallibear

Visit site
Well - I figure we've worked it out. Those who are used to using long ropes may run into trouble with short ones because they aren't used to using them, and those who are used to using short ropes may run into trouble using long ones because they're not used to using them.

PR just thought it would be a great opportunity to have a dig at those who don't absolutely follow his path of righteousness. In reality, the poor person would probably have got mashed whether she was using a bridle, a rope headcollar, a 24'00000 ft line, or a dog lead. She didn't necessarily get hurt because of what she was or wasn't using. They're horses, and sometimes they hurt you.

Lets all have a nice cup of tea eh?

LOL. :D That's virtually unheard off. 'Of' possibly? We'll need to find something else to argue. So............ tea's better than coffee is it?!?! How dare you!

Fii

Visit site
My friends daughter used to lead her mare in without a headcollar, as long as she pretended to put an invisible headcollar on, the mare would walk with her quite happily! :)

Shantara

Visit site
My friends daughter used to lead her mare in without a headcollar, as long as she pretended to put an invisible headcollar on, the mare would walk with her quite happily! :)

Haha! Cookie is a bit like this. If you clip a lead rope on, he'll stand there, defeated. You don't have to tie him up to keep him still!

Fii

Visit site
Actually i need a 12 foot rope for my mare when loading her, i could tie it to a ratchet at the front of the box and just wind her in!! :D

budley95

Visit site
So someone unfortunately had an accident and its because they weren't using the right equipment? Sorry but horses have their own minds. Mine gets led in by rugs, fly masks, pashmina round his neck, normal headcollar and leadrope or he'll just follow me. And if we're doing something particularly exciting and he gets strong an elbow in his neck restores his manners. Oh and a brilliant natural horsemanship trainer I know had a 12 foot rope pulled through his hands and horse turned round and double barreled him smashing his collar bone. This was after he'd been doing groundwork and was leading a whole 20m to the stable. If you're bored pr, go do some groundwork with your pony. It's a bit boring all these people don't know what they're doing threads...

Horseback Rider

Visit site
*whispers* mine wear chifneys when they are being plebs!
They are ex racers they understand chifney means don't mess about!

Though generally they get chucked out in head collars with ropes or bridle undone if just been ridden!

Agree with this my ex racer is a **** if he's not the first one in I would rather use a chiffney than let his front hoofs hover above my head and before you all start I do try with him but this was a problem he and many ex racers have before we get them !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Nothing wrong with a belt round it's neck when you trudge over the field only to find you failed to leave the halter on the gate in the morning. Just keep one hand on your trousers.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Well I have just invented the best horsemanship gadget like.. EVERRRR!!?

It is called... Wait for it.... The tallyholter!

Yup.

Easy to use, takes 4D batteries, or you can hook it up to the mains if you have enough cable. Basically it works just like a "be nice" halter except it ain't very nice at all. No. It gives your swine.. Ahem, sorry... Equine, a great big feckin shock to the noggin.

Feckin marvellous. I've never loaded a horse so quick. In fact, just to prove it worked I got six horses in a 510.

I reckon if they were shod, I'd ave got eight in.

Patent pending. Discount to HHOers...

Any takers?

slumdog

Visit site

Yup.

Easy to use, takes 4D batteries, or you can hook it up to the mains if you have enough cable. Basically it works just like a "be nice" halter except it ain't very nice at all. No. It gives your swine.. Ahem, sorry... Equine, a great big feckin shock to the noggin.

Feckin marvellous. I've never loaded a horse so quick. In fact, just to prove it worked I got six horses in a 510.

Any takers?

Does it work on kids??

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I can't be doing with this having to have the right type of 12 ft rope :p, rope burn pah! A mere flesh wound (insert heavy monty pythonness here) I actually take my life into my hands every time I handle the beast :p. Maybe aka like Fii I could winch a 12ft rope round the stable door to get him up in the mornings?

hmph pic wont work bear with :p

1233469_10153287133990438_1834914100_n.jpg

Last edited:

DIESELSUPERSTAR

Visit site
As always with horses its down to what the human is comfortable with and what the horse responds to. Have never used any method other than a normal rope and collar but then as soon as they step out of line they are disciplined and taught to respect my space. I have never had anything over 14'2 so I have no idea what would work differently to a bigger horse on a day to day basis. I lead my 3 in together, and could happily put the rope round there neck and send them.up to their stables on their own.

Each horse is different and has different life experiences. Find a way that works for your partnership, not what someone tells you will work!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I know people who seem to get injured leading horses on almost a weekly basis. There is absolutely no explanation to be found in the type of equipment they use for why they so often get themselves into trouble - you have to see them in action to understand the why.

There are very few times I have been hurt when leading a horse (I can count on my fingers the amount of times I have been trodden on, have never been kicked or bitten, but I have once been struck by a front hoof during a rear that was my own fault). The reason is that I am very good at preempting what a horse is about to do and either dealing with the behaviour before it escalates or getting myself out of the way. I prefer to keep bridles for ridden work, I'm not keen on using rope halters, I prefer using a longer rope but also use a shorter one, I wear gloves if it's cold and never wear a hat....is there a school of horsemanship I can sign up too? ;)

Fii

Visit site

Yup.

Any takers?

That a good idea, for all the endless backing up of horses that wont load !! Or even to drive them backwards into the box!! :D i still like my winch/ratchet idea best though, along with DS's cattle prod! ;)