No shade in this weather

Visit site
Its 30 degrees most days, horse has no shade in field and will not stand in alone which would be the ideal. Quite worried about this but cant see a solution at the mo. No one else coming in as they have shade, although must say they don't seem to use it much.
Ill be so glad when this heatwave ends !

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Its 30 degrees most days, horse has no shade in field and will not stand in alone which would be the ideal. Quite worried about this but cant see a solution at the mo. No one else coming in as they have shade, although must say they don't seem to use it much.
Ill be so glad when this heatwave ends !

Could you rig up a roof using sail material in a triangular shape in one corner of the field?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Could you put a Gazebo in the field? not suitable for breezy days, but for days where it is 30 and no breeze should offer a small part of shade. I have seen others do this.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Attach to the fence? Would the owners be agreeable?

(I have the delight of trying to set up a coral for PC camp next week-heavens knows how I'm going to the sodding posts in!)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The amount of effort you go to constructing something will be the proportional inverse of the amount it gets used :D

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine have acres of shade yet never seem to be in it! Not sure I like the idea of a gazebo for horses, but then I own the sort that would get themselves wrapped up in it!

TheMule

Visit site
Mine are choosing to the shade of the oak trees throughout the day, I think it's important to offer the choice of shade somehow

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Judging by the amount of poo Im collecting from under the tree, that is exactly where mine is standing pretty much all day. He and his immediate neighbours are very fortunate to have a little copse of about a dozen big old trees at one end of their fields. In the mornings the poo is spread out all over, in the evenings, its all under the trees. I couldnt bear to turn him out with no shade Im afraid, just personal choice though.

Farma

Visit site
I find when I poo pick more than half the poo every day is by the trees where there is shade. Are you putting hay out at the mo? perhaps wet the hay, look at maybe using some electrolytes if he is sweating a lot. Maybe try and find a friend that would let you bring theirs up for company for an hour or two in the afternoon so he is getting a break from it, maybe offer a bit of a favour in return for them letting you?
Or plant a tree? :)

Snoozinsusan

Visit site
My mare has no shade and is out 24 hours. I asked livery owner if I could move her to one of the fields with shade but he said no! I put her in her stable for less than an hour while I poo picked (she loves to knock the barrow over) and she was covered in sweat! At least there's a breeze outside. Not much else I can do except move or sell.

WandaMare

Visit site
Mine seem happy out until the temp gets to about 26, over that and they are in their shelters. I have tied up a tarpaulin over a couple of heras fence panels for one of mine, she is happy to stand under it during the hottest part of the day.

Visit site
Scenario . First buy your gazebo, after getting permission to put it up. Spend hours trying to get the blimming thing up, horse takes one look at it and flees to the furthest corner of the field ! Im glad some horses seem not to mind the heat, they are saying up to 35 next week!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine is in a field with trees all around so has shade available all day, most of the poos are in the middle part of the field and only 1 or 2 in the shady bits. i go to the field at different times to check her and havent found her in the shade once....

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My three (two of whom are oldies, one a sweet itchy) persist in standing out at midday in the hot blazing sun, this despite the fact that they have LOTS of shade available in their field, and there are trees in various places which means that from sunrise to sunset, they can always go under a shady bit.

But do they? Nope, daft things. They seem to be able to deal with the hot blazing sun and positively seek it out (I can't, hate it).

MagicMelon

Visit site
All 11 of ours are in shelters most of the day.

My 2 have also been spending pretty much all their time in their stables (doors kept wide open 24/7 into their field so they come and go as they wish). Probably more to escape the horrific flies this summer. Other countries have it far hotter so I doubt its that much of an issue, if you think your horse is that hot OP then you could always clip.

SEL

Visit site
For the first time today I found poo in the bit that gets shady from about 3pm. I have been worried about the one with anhydrosis but apparently she's been in the sun all day and it's her field mate who sensibly has been under the trees.

They get soaked hay, lots of water and salt so I'm hoping they'll be ok. Better out than in though.

Goldenstar

Visit site
For the first time today I found poo in the bit that gets shady from about 3pm. I have been worried about the one with anhydrosis but apparently she's been in the sun all day and it's her field mate who sensibly has been under the trees.

They get soaked hay, lots of water and salt so I'm hoping they'll be ok. Better out than in though.

Fatty has non swearing syndrome as well .
He’s stabled all day and we are showering him off two to three times on the hottest days there’s no way I would allow him out on the hottest days .
I think all horses do need shade in this type of weather is they are out all day partly because of the heat and partly because of the truly appalling horse flys we are having .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
All 11 of ours are in shelters most of the day.

Yep my old dears in the field only emerge from their shelter to see if I've brought food. And then leg it back as soon as it's gone.

The 2 down on the yard have no shade, they cook if I turn out too early at the moment. Happily my stables are in a cool old stone barn.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
If the other horses have shade can yours not go in that field too?

I was just about to ask that!

Dave has 2 poo areas, one in the sunniest part of the field and one in the shade, so I suspect he's splitting his time. They are back in during the day for the next few days for some relief & some hay.

SEL

Visit site
Interesting that a lot of you are bringing in during the day. It was when she was in last year in high temps that my mare (who I didn't realise had developed anhidrosis then) got heat exhaustion. That was an expensive vet bill. Our stables at my current yard are in full sun until about 3 sadly.

texas

Visit site
Grown ups are out 24/7. Newish foal and dam are currently in during the day. Thankfully I've been able to open a window at the back of the stable to let a breeze through and they seem quite content and haven't looked sweaty yet.

Bernster

Visit site
Ours don’t have shade either which I don’t like. Stables are hotter as no breeze so I think they are better out. Feeling slightly better that others have horses with shade who aren’t using it. Horses seem fine though and coping fine.

Auslander

Visit site
Ours don’t have shade either which I don’t like. Stables are hotter as no breeze so I think they are better out. Feeling slightly better that others have horses with shade who aren’t using it. Horses seem fine though and coping fine.

Your other pony has shade, but chooses to hang around in the middle of the field. Or by the yard, in case I miraculously forget about the weightwatchers plan, and appear with extra food!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Interesting that a lot of you are bringing in during the day. It was when she was in last year in high temps that my mare (who I didn't realise had developed anhidrosis then) got heat exhaustion. That was an expensive vet bill. Our stables at my current yard are in full sun until about 3 sadly.

Ours are lovely & cool. Unless you're mucking out!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My horses can’t wait to get into their stables atm they are all waiting ever morning .
My stables are definatly cooler and more comfortable and the horses are out of the suns rays .
I would not keep Fatty without a stable I have been managing him for ten years now and he’s never needed a vet call out apart from when I had to persuade them to do an adrenaline test to get a definite diagnosis .there view was horses in the uk can’t suffer from non sweating syndrome but since having Fatty I come across a few people who have one .
With Fatty it’s thought to be linked to the episode he had with his heart it’s lucky Fatty worked as a hunter as he would not have been able to do a summer job .
I am probably going to clip him this week to help him out and that is definatly what I would do if the pony can’t come in I would clip him but leave the top of the back and neck .