Not all Pellets are the same! Wet comparison (pics)

Mitchyden

Visit site
I use the premium Liverpool wood pellets and use about 1 - 1.5 15kg bags a week. I did try their economy pellets but found I used more because they weren't as absorbant.

Destario

Visit site
We normally use hemcore bedding which is great as my old retired monster got a chest infection a couple of years ago and his cough unfortunately comes back in the winter, very dust free, good for allergies, smells divine, super absorbent, rots down super fast (compost heaps in garden never overflow!). We deep littered and wet mucked out every week - still less than a barrow of wet to get out, with no wet patch on top which is great.

Unfortunately I asked my father to purchase our next pallet and he said he couldn't find a stockist so got wood pellets...not as good as the hemcore, get very dusty in deep litter and needs mucking out every three days which is annoying and more needs taking out...also takes ages to wet the bags and put in, and smells musty, but I think on rubber matting it may be better, still I can't wait for our pallet to run out and buy hemcore from the petshop (quite literally walking distance - love the research there dad!) down the road...

So for me hemcore will always be favoured over wetted wood pellets, especially with retired monster's cough and severe sweet itch, the smell is lovely and the lack of dust helps immensely if he has to come up for a night in the summer, much less itchy!

sonjafoers

Visit site
Milkmaid I'm sure there won't be a problem if you post on here which products you have used, it's not advertising and after all we all discuss brands of feed, tack etc etc.

Milkmaid

Visit site
Think I have p.m`d everyone that has asked. Please shout if i`ve missed anyone!

Would rather stick to p.m`s for those that wish to know :)

honetpot

Visit site
I have just about used every bedding there is. I think wood pellets are OK but I prefer rape or hemp straw. When I've had to bed something down on a deep bed I put wood pellets in the wet patch and straw on top, the urine filters down as as the straw is kept dry it doesn't smell as much. Can not understand why anyone would want to use shaving, bulky, expensive and difficult to get rid of.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I've used ones like neds bed as I don't like the idea of wetting the bed, some people at me yard got a tonne delivered for about £100 and it lasted them all winter and looked great!!! I have gone back to straw but if I had to use anything else it would be pellets

Milkmaid

Visit site
I'm thinking of trying pellets under straw this winter. Has anyone tried them this way before?

I`ve not used them that way personally but have heard of people that do use them sucessfully in conjunction with other beddings for extra absorbancy.

Achinghips

Visit site
Shame you can't publicly say. Would it not be factual evidence based on your experience and opinion rather than advertising?

Please pm me too :)

GeorgieLee

Visit site
me to please :) we have used pellets for the last 3 years now and they are brill but your premium bed looks really white! we have had to put our mare back on straw at the mo as she has just had a foal and mucking out is horrible!!!!

Spyda

Visit site
I'm thinking of trying pellets under straw this winter. Has anyone tried them this way before?

Yep, I do. I have rubber mats at a yard which provides straw, so to stop the urine pooling under the straw and running out onto the yard infront of my stable (there's a slight slope towards the front of the box), I use a bag or two of pellets over the mats and under the straw. I much out the straw like normal and just remove the worst of the pelleted bedding when it's very wet. Works very well and is economical. My big mare is a box walker and also pees for England, and I use between 2 and 4 bags of pellets per month under a fairly thin straw bed.