Not all Pellets are the same! Wet comparison (pics)

Oberon

Visit site
And yet more... could you please PM me?

Ta :D

Your username rocks :D

Stimpy.jpg

Rosehip

Visit site
Ooo, me too please! Im looking into the miscanthus pelleted bedding as that seems to work out very economical money wise, but your premium bedding looks so nice!!xx

micki

Visit site
Yep, I do. I have rubber mats at a yard which provides straw, so to stop the urine pooling under the straw and running out onto the yard infront of my stable (there's a slight slope towards the front of the box), I use a bag or two of pellets over the mats and under the straw. I much out the straw like normal and just remove the worst of the pelleted bedding when it's very wet. Works very well and is economical. My big mare is a box walker and also pees for England, and I use between 2 and 4 bags of pellets per month under a fairly thin straw bed.

Thanks for the info. Think i will go for it then this year and see how i go. I have 3 very mucky horses and 1 clean one so hopefully it will help with the 3 mucky ones :).

eggs

Visit site
Sorry but another request to pm me the 'premium' brand (think I know which it is) and the cheaper band. Thanks

Bennions Field

Visit site
PM for me too please :) - been using wood pellets for around 3 years now and love them, have 5 stables on them and save sooooo much time and bedding - the reduced costs are a real plus too :) but must admit they are not all the same !

would be interested to hear which ones were the better ones, and willing to try them as need to place an order for some before they all come back in for the winter again

many thanks

sula

Visit site
Can I follow the crowd and ask you to pm me the name of both brands please? I currently use aubiose for my boy who is in overnight and is wetter at the moment than he is in winter. He is on rubber matting and half a bed which I skip out daily and muck out fully twice a week. Occasionally I can get away with one bale of aubiose every six days or so but I seem to be having to put more in lately. I really like aubiose but omg it`s expensive.

Numpty question, do the pellets arrive in those big bag things like builders use and if so, do you use a full bale each time and if not do you have to store it somewhere? I have nowhere to store anything as large as that hence I use small bales so it could be a problem. Also, if it`s messy, the yo just won`t have it.

Milkmaid

Visit site
Can I follow the crowd and ask you to pm me the name of both brands please?
Certainly

Numpty question, do the pellets arrive in those big bag things like builders use and if so, do you use a full bale each time and if not do you have to store it somewhere? I have nowhere to store anything as large as that hence I use small bales so it could be a problem.

Pellets arrive in bags (10 or 15kgs usually) stacked on a pallet, and yes, you use a whole bag at a time.

Also, if it`s messy, the yo just won`t have it.
Pellets must be the most un-messy, easiest to store beddings ever!

Last edited:

Montmorency

Visit site
Could you poss pm me the name of the premium brand pretty please?
I have a horse that digs up her bed and rolls- would the pellets still be a good choice with so much bed disturbance do you think? Or am I better off sticking to daily full mucking out with shavings?
Thanks

Merrymoles

Visit site
Please could you PM me too? Still looking for a horse but lots of people on the yard I'm planning to use are on wood pellets and am definitely looking at this for mine (when I find the blimmin thing...)

Prince&Porper

Visit site
Please can I also ask for a PM.

I have a little mare that is disgustingly wet and mixes everything up when on straw (I dont dare try woodchips for fear or re-mortgaging the house!), we have rubber mats and have tried various options of small bed, big bed etc.
Could anyone give me an opinion if you think wood pellets would work?? Sounds like it could be ideal as she is my sons pony and he takes an age to muck out as well!!

brightmount

Visit site
Please PM me too. Thinking of switching to wood pellets this winter as the dust from Aubiose really gets to my lungs and one of my horses always has a runny nose over the winter when in at night.

Spyda

Visit site
I've just had a pallet load of Verdo premium pellets delivered. Will let you know what they perform like.

sula

Visit site
I think I`m thinking of entirely the wrong product! On the previous yard I was on some of the girls used to use sand like stuff which was delivered in those big builders sacks and which they said was `just like pellets but cheaper`. It was awful messy stuff and I hated it but presumed that pellets would look like that stuff when wet. Having looked at the website I realise just how wrong I was, also just how small and neat the 15kg sacks are!

sisco

Visit site
Hi
Could you PM me too I strarted last winter using Verdo but changed to another brand after christmas as my very wet boys bed was never dry and that was using two bags a week.

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
It is so nice to see someone promoting the pellets. Very under-rated.

I moved over to them from straw 18 months ago and have never looked back. I often (sadly) take photos of my boys bed. I am very strict that his front half is left just rubber matting (his kitchen) and the other half is the pellets on top of the rubber matting (his bedroom).

I dont think we'd like our kitchen & bedroom blended so neither would he haha.

I have never worked with something so warm, tidy, clean & yes, definitely cheap & of course, quick & easy to do and NON SMELLY!!! Oh & easy to store (we order a pallet at a time).

He had mites from the straw & vet advised me to change, I wasnt sure I liked the look of it (i like straw beds deep banks) but I am an absolute convert (apart from the dust - nice tip about watering can every day, I am soooo onto it) because he rarely wee's in his stable.

My horse has never napped as much as he does now either!

Izzwall

Visit site
Could you Pm me too :D
I have a big loose box which my mares have the option of going in or out, currently using 7 bales of shavings a week and its costing me a bomb! Especially if they all decide to sleep in there! Never tried wood pellets before, infact never even heard about them till a few months ago!