Not Happy

grumblebee

Visit site
I bought a new rug thanks to the amazing weather we are having. After several people's recommendations for a cheap quality rug I bought an Amigo Mio.

I have never been so disappointed! Turned him out with it in the morning. When I got him back in he was soaked through!I took it straight back to the shop I bought it from. They couldn't accept it until it was dry but very helpfully they said they would call Horseware for me. In the mean time I had to buy another rug. The convinced me to take the same rug again.

We had two days of dryish weather but on the third day, when we had horrific rain again, my horse was once again soaked. This time only on his sides.

I went back to the store. They said they would test the rug for me. A day later they got back to me to say that there was no leakage anywhere and therefore credit denied on both rugs!

Not happy at all! Has anybody else had any similar problems? Any ideas of why this is happening?

Thanks

micki

Visit site
I had it happen a few years ago, not with the same rug as you have though. It was a new rug on the market. It turned out that it was condensation on the inside that was causing my horse to be soaking inside the rug, it wasn't leaking. I got my money back without any problems.

Shantara

Visit site
Not a rug, but my friend bought a dress and wore it once. A thread came loose and the dress pretty much fell apart. They accused her of cutting it with scissors :O refused to give her money back, it wasn't cheap either :\

I hope you manage to get a good quality rug soon!

Natz88

Visit site
I can't help as I have never had an amigo for my boys, I always buy the Shires Tempest Lite as it's brilliant so I just stick to what I no. I o hope you find a suitable rug :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I'm surprise at a Horseware rug doing that - I've got an Amigo - only the 600 denier lite, but even with the torrential downpours it hasn't leaked.

I've got a Swish Equestrian one which I love, but for some reason it always has a patch on each side which lets water in! Very frustrating!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The Amigo Mio is only 600d, so I wouldn't expect it to be properly waterproof in downpours. 1200d Amigos are IME far better and worth the extra pennies.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I had it happen a few years ago, not with the same rug as you have though. It was a new rug on the market. It turned out that it was condensation on the inside that was causing my horse to be soaking inside the rug, it wasn't leaking. I got my money back without any problems.

Interesting. The Mio isn't fully breathable so maybe that's what has happened here.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Sounds like the horse sweating, not the rug. Our Amigos have always been fine. Why are you rugging him at this time of year? We left the TB's rug on by accident the other morning (he'd had it on during the night we got 3" of rain) and when one of the liveries took it off at 11am he was soaking - with sweat.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If its not breathable I agree with whoever said it is condensation. I had the same problem with another brand if rug. Horse got a little warm and instead of moisture evaporating through rug it held it in, he was soaked with sweat. I always buy breathable rugs now, especially lightweights as there is no padding to soak up any condensation or sweat.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I have a Fal Pro that is completely water tight but I would not expect any rug to be waterproof - especially in the recent weather!

Rosehip

Visit site
I dont find any lightweight is completely 100% waterproof in the sort of weather we have been having. Having said that, the treatment you have had is not on! I would be writing to Horseware directly and complaining! And a letter of complaint to the store too!!x

ClassicG&T

Visit site
My Amigo 1200d sheet works well for shower/light rain but not down pours.
My Amigo Mio has been my favourite rug ever. Waterproof and wind proof and great to use as an underrug too, i would love another any day

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My Amigo 1200d sheet works well for shower/light rain but not down pours.
My Amigo Mio has been my favourite rug ever. Waterproof and wind proof and great to use as an underrug too, i would love another any day

:D The opposite to what I found! ;) Sometimes I wonder whether some 'batches' of the same rug material are better/more waterproof than others.

0ldmare

Visit site
My 600D Amigo lightweight absorbed water like a sponge :( not even drizzle proof let alone showerproof lol. I now use it as a summer sheet

The 1200D has been fab though

Venevidivici

Visit site
IME you need a minimum of 1200D outer to remain dry in heavy rain. There is an Anigo 1200D no-fill-it's pricey but our pony has been dry in it in this recent rain,so extra money is def worth it. I don't think we should question why she's rugging in this weather-could be several reasons? All on our yard are in no-fills in the heavy rain-people
want to ride a dry horse when they get to the yard and a couple of them are oldies,who have come in shivering after getting wet through whilst unrugged,so if heavy rain forecast,they are rugged in no-fills at the mo. Mio's are not fit to keep this rain out. Tho you've parted with ££ already,I'd get a 1200D Horseware or a higher denier PE if I was you-good luck:)

Kelly1982

Visit site
I brought this rug a few weeks back and was warned by the sales lady that they are only shower proof and will leak at the sides in heavy down pour so won't be refundable for leaking!!

To be honest though it's kept my boy bone dry but must be a common fault for her to warn me.

I don't find any lightweight completely waterproof in the heaviest of rain though

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I've got a few amigo rugs and have only found the mio to leave my lad wet in the worst of the torrential downpours and even then he's only been a little damp not totally soaked. I too think it's sweat rather than rainwater as I have the normal amigo lightweight rugs too and these don't leave him wet at all. One is a 600D and the other a 1200D. Must admit I really like the Amigo rugs and always buy them. Fair price and good quality for what you pay. I'd still contact Horseware in your position though.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I bought a HiZone rug from YHL last year and it has been fantastic, completely waterproof. It is a rainsheet with a very thin fleecy lining.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Another one with a Shires Tempest and it's kept my boy dry in the torrential downpours we've had recently.

**He's only rugged as he's poorly - otherwise he'd be naked**

ribbons

Visit site
Retailers (all, not just equine goods) are responsible for your satisfaction with your purchase.
Most will try and fob you off with telling you to contact manufacturer or wait while they do.
You bought the product from them, not the manufacturer, they are responsible for providing goods fit for purpose. If there is a problem with quality they need to reimburse you, then take it up themselves as the customer of the wholesaler/manufacturer.
I can't help with the specific rug you bought as have no experience of that brand.
Just wanted to say your contract of sale is with whoever you purchased from so mind they don't try and tell you otherwise.

Lexie81

Visit site
I have the lightweight Mio for my daughters new pony and he has worn it a couple of times when we have needed to keep him clean and dry-so far no problems.
I also have the medium weight and used it all winter on my warmblood, through torrential rain, snow etc and it has never let her down, I would defo buy again. I really like amigo rugs I have the normal Amigo ones too and they have also been fab. I would definitely write to horseware and tell them what has happened but I doubt that you will get much from them as they do say the mio is showerproof.....

grumblebee

Visit site
Thank you everyone for all your comments. For those who have asked why am I rugging.... because my horse shivers if she gets the slightest little bit damp, I don't want her loosing condition and I want a dry clean horse to ride in the evenings.

For those of you who said she might be sweating. I can see why you may think this but I think in her case it is highly unlikely due to the way the wet patches are formed.

I decided to test the rug myself last night and it seems like the rain leaks in just under the line that goes over the belly and then works its way up, if that is at all possible, which will explain why she is so much wetter on her flanks than on her back. Strange!

Off out to buy another rug today from another retailer and then to continue fighting my course with the retailer and Horseware!

benson21

Visit site
I was always told when buying rugs that they were shower proof, not waterproof, so in the rain that most have had over the last few weeks on the advice I was given, its not surprising it leaks.