October ... still on summer grazing!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Happy post - it’s October and the summer grazing is still in use we normally swap them on to winter grazing the second it starts to get muddy to preserve the summer land but up Til now we have none .... of course I’ve tempted a monsoon now but what the hell today I am happy

Gratuitous horse snogging photo just cos I now can

904E906E-01A7-41F4-AE2C-FAB2A0C8D26C.jpeg

TreeDog

Visit site
We have heavy rain forecast tomorrow but dry and sunny next week temps up to 20 in the day minimum 10 at night and there's still plenty of grass so hopefully will stay on summer grazing for a while yet :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
We've got mild temperatures and drizzle today, torrential rain overnight, heavy rain tomorrow, then dry and down to 10 degrees daytime/2 degrees night time on saturday! Dry and sunny (max. 18 degrees) between Sunday and Wednesday.

Grass hasn't grown much in the last week to ten days so maybe this crazy mixed bag of weather will get it going again. :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes it's marvellous! Hoping we can eek the summer grazing out for another 3-4 weeks yet 😁
Gratuitous pic of horse bringing himself in this morning, because I'm laid up so OH decided to let them all go free range:
IMAG0149.jpg

timbobs

Visit site
Happy post - it’s October and the summer grazing is still in use we normally swap them on to winter grazing the second it starts to get muddy to preserve the summer land but up Til now we have none .... of course I’ve tempted a monsoon now but what the hell today I am happy

Gratuitous horse snogging photo just cos I now can

View attachment 26054
You’ve definitely tempted rain- look at my forecast for tomorrow! 🙈
46FD9F47-A1E6-4FCE-B60A-798D0FBA3BCA.jpeg

chaps89

Visit site
Ours live out all year round - normally we don't bring them onto the winter fields until December. This year we are moving them this weekend (still loads of grass in the field they're in) I dread to think what we're going to do when actual winter hits and the field is trashed from going on it too early :(
I suspect we may then end up moving back to the summer fields meaning they don't get fully rested and in the worst of the weather they're in a more exposed field which is further away which won't be fun.

flying_high

Visit site
Ours live out all year round - normally we don't bring them onto the winter fields until December. This year we are moving them this weekend (still loads of grass in the field they're in) I dread to think what we're going to do when actual winter hits and the field is trashed from going on it too early :(
I suspect we may then end up moving back to the summer fields meaning they don't get fully rested and in the worst of the weather they're in a more exposed field which is further away which won't be fun.

Why cant you move AFTER eaten all summer grass? Make more sense?

Merrymoles

Visit site
Umm - I think you've stolen my horse Blitznbobs! Right down to the stance...

Yes, we're still on summer grazing but now haying but only because horse's elderly fieldmate has no front teeth left so can't manage short grass very well and has dropped weight.

oldie48

Visit site
Sorry to say I am desperate for rain, we've had very little and the arena is riding deep. We are Ok for grass and horses are still on summer grazing but everywhere is so dry! Rain forecast for tomorrow but I doubt we'll get a lot.

Merrymoles

Visit site
In that case you can’t hve him back he’s too cool!
Ah but is he a little bit special with it?
Mine gets miniscule feeds while his fieldmate gets a bucketful but he ekes it out and ekes out for hours until his fieldmate has finished "because it's bucket time now innit?"

Nudibranch

Visit site
We are still on summer grazing, and still sectioned off for a fat paddock for the Fell. This time last year it was a 16.3 and 17.3 so we moved on to winter grazing 1st October. Now I have two natives and they'll have to stay off as long as possible as it's 9 acres of well rested grass 😮 Hopefully the sheep will get it down a bit first.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
We're also still on summer pasture and as my field-mate and I have a couple of fatties we have strip grazed all summer. We still have about one quarter of the new grass left, and yard owner said we can stay in there until we want to move to winter paddock, woop woop! And it's only our two going in our winter paddock. We're hoping to eek it out til December 😬

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine have recently moved off my summer field because it is surrounded by sycamore, but there is still over a third of it completely un-grazed. I have ridiculous amounts of grass at the moment, especially since my cob badly injured a hoof last month and developed a nasty infection :( As a result he and his companion just spent three weeks yarded and scoffing my hay!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Good problems to have! Mine has been on box/yard rest (check ligament) and his mate kept with him for company, they are finally back out full time but like others we have an embarrassment of grass :) I'm going to keep them out on it as long as I can because the have cost me a fortune in small bale haylage over the last 3 months! (We are on heavy clay, once it gets wet they are off it completely).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine on the yard only have one little paddock so summer and winter grazing is all the same :rolleyes: I managed to get a bit sectioned off earlier in the year which I'm still strip grazing into but that will soon be run out and then it's slim pickings until spring :(

The retirees have the full run of an 8 acre hayfield now there's no more hay to be cut, they are very happy to be on their winter grazing!

tda

Visit site
I'm panicking a bit now as four of the herd have eaten off the hayfield, which is okay, was planning to bring them home but now the owner of other field we rent to take hay off, has said we can graze that off too for a month only, plenty grass there, don't want to waste it, definitely gonna have to have some diets over the winter 😄

Worse problems to have I guess, still not any significant rain here

cindars

Visit site
Same here have to be careful though as yard has quite a bit of grazing and only three and half ponies all inclined to podge.