Odd horse names

HeresHoping

Visit site
"What You Want"...

P2Per, bred by MFH of the Fernie a million years ago. Many arguments about names culminating in the MFH throwing his napkin down at the dinner table, standing up and shoving his chair back in exasperation to the announcement 'I really don't f***ing care anymore. Call it what you want."

So his wife did.

Breagha

Visit site
My mare who I bought unseen as a yearling (now 8) in her passport she is called "Fangs Flicker" I later found out her stable name was Pippa. I changed her passport name to "Bragail Breagha"

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I used to ride a ID type called Colin ? and had an Anglo Arab called Walter. I love human names for horses

Along with Bob I mentioned up thread, the others that came off the lorry with him got named Colin, Clive and Millie. Figured human names could be a theme for that batch.

Visit site
I don't like giving mine human names. Jeff was Jeff because that is what he was called when racing and his racing name was Jefertiti. Pippa was already Pippa before we bought her. Gray is well ... grey. then you have SOS, RQ's (prounounced arcs) Gummer Bear, Dum Dum and Freebie. SOS's proper name is Song Of The Stars. RQ's is Rainbow Quest, Freebie's is Shilstone Rocks Fancy Free. So not really inventive stable names lol!

We had a Brown and a Blue at the yard too.I don't think Brown ever got a racing name and Blue was Blueside Boy. We have one called Eeyore too.

Mr Grumpy who was the sweetest little horse you could ask for.

Last edited:

buddylove

Visit site
My new pony arriving today is called Zane, hate it and need to think of a new stable name for him. He's a 3 year old HiPo. I love human names for horses. Currently have Daragh and Harry, any suggestions welcome!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My new pony arriving today is called Zane, hate it and need to think of a new stable name for him. He's a 3 year old HiPo. I love human names for horses. Currently have Daragh and Harry, any suggestions welcome!!

We need a picture before we can name him :)

J&S

Visit site
Our companion pony came with the name of Winnie, we had to get her a passport before we brought her home and partner noticed her white mark on her forehead is in the shape of an E. So, this scruffy toughy Bodmin Moor pony has the name of Eowyn's Windfola on her passport. (she does have beautiful eyes though!)

Snowfilly

Visit site
I had a gelding who's passport name was Rosie ?‍♀️

The riding school where I helped as a kid had a gelding called Rosie! The yard owner doesn’t like changing names, and there was already an Amber on the yard, so when this little coloured scrap called Ambrose arrived, he became Rosie.

Years later a mare called Rosie arrived and they became Rosie and Red Rosie as she was roan.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Not an unusual name as such but ‘Colt.’ My uncle bred a Welsh colt foal and three fillies one year, and didn’t get around to naming or selling the colt. He was just ‘the colt,’ which eventually stuck.

Which wouldn’t have been so bad, except he kept ‘Colt’ until he died at 33. Several local shows now have veteran class trophies engraved with The Colt.

He also sired a few foals and one of them was registered as Colt 45 and another one as Winchester.

Pippity

Visit site
Blue's passport says she's "Miss Lady Blue". Considering she was passported when she was a 5yo, along with a lorryload of other random Irish types, I'm pretty sure that's the importer originally planning on calling her Miss Blue, then changing their mind to Lady Blue and not crossing it out properly!

Well, either that, or desperately trying to make it clear she's a mare. Everybody thinks she's a gelding unless they check her undercarriage.

I was hovering on whether to rename her to Eithne, which definitely suits her better, but I think it's too late now.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
There was that race horse called Hoof Hearted which was funny when commentators shouted it. That one slipped through......

Katie had a Section C called Neuaddparc Galileo. No-one got that right when she was competing. We called him Osccar.