Visit site
A few of the names of racehorses I worked with

Foolish
Indicator
Speaker Weatherill
Invasion
Ermine Street
Fairy Garden

We have also had Itstimeforapint, Spark Of Madness (who I wanted to call Suggs - Scu got it, took LVR a while to get it, no one else did because they are all too young! The owners called him Sox instead because he has 4 huge white socks and a big blaze) Methodtothemadness, Imjoeking, Catch The Moonlight, Settledoutofcourt, Near To Tears, Well Above Par (who is distinctly average ...) Haul Us In, Amonit, Make It Happen, Drop A Gear Hey Listen, Nuts N Bolts, Silver By Nature, No Deal, Long Distance, Outrageous Request, Legbeforewicket, Bobble Hat Bob, See You There, etc

These all seem normal to me though because racehorse names are mostly unique.

oldie48

Visit site
TBH I think you get used to any name once you've been using it for a while. We had a Sid many years ago and Bisto felt odd initially. The only think I would say is choose something that people can pronounce and write legibly when making entries. One of our ponies was called An Buachaille Liath Bertie, he was announced as "An something something Bertie" ridden by Lyola, pony got into the jump off and won the class so this was announced three times in total by which time we were in fits of laughter, fortunately so was Lydia!

Visit site
TBH I think you get used to any name once you've been using it for a while. We had a Sid many years ago and Bisto felt odd initially. The only think I would say is choose something that people can pronounce and write legibly when making entries. One of our ponies was called An Buachaille Liath Bertie, he was announced as "An something something Bertie" ridden by Lyola, pony got into the jump off and won the class so this was announced three times in total by which time we were in fits of laughter, fortunately so was Lydia!

I do pitty announcers when you get the Welsh names! Or indeed most of the arab names for their racehorses where there are M's, H's and T's than should be allowed in a word!

All bar one racecourse pronounced Jeff's name Jefer-teetee. Uttoxeter pronounced it Jefer-tit-ee.

Mule

Visit site
While at a one day event, I heard the name 'Mr Spook' announced. I had a giggle when I saw the horse had the same sire as my spooky gelding.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
We have also had ..
....Legbeforewicket, Bobble Hat Bob, See You There, etc
These all seem normal to me though because racehorse names are mostly unique.

If ever I owned a race horse I would have used cricket names
Caughtatslip. Thirdman, Droppedatgully, Rampedovercover, Bailsoff, Sixtocowcorner etc
I expect a lot of them have been used or wouldn’t be allowed.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My gingers passported name is Euribor which I think is really ugly. His previous owners called him Euri but I changed it to Eddy as similar sounding but more often I now called him Edward. I think that suits him.

A friend bought a HiPo whose stable name was Wally (play on his registered name) but she hated it so changed it to Mac.

I knew a Thunderpants, one I owned was Teabag. Also known a Robert in the past.

Visit site
Michael Scu had one called The Wicket Keeper.

Lego (Legbeforewicket) was a nasty bitch of a horse. She truly was evil incarnate. And a useless racehorse. She was horrible to lead up and I had drawn the short straw to take her at Perth instead of one of my own nice to deal with horses so I was in a bad mood about it all. As I walked, or rather was slammed about the paddock, a woman in a huge flowery dress tried to pat her over the railings and said she was delighted to see her and she looked after her as a foal. So ever being the professional I am when angry I shot back - so we have you to thank for this evil bitch then. Great. She ran away crying. The broke a leg on the gallops not long after that too actually come to think of it.

Rosemary28

Visit site
P is called Danebridge Connor in his passport. Definitely one of the easiest Welsh pony names I've come across... although with a name like Connor you'd think he would be Irish! Other names he goes by include, Rollo, Pony, P, Beast, Hairy Thing, Thing and many others along those lines.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's funny how much trouble you all have with "foreign" names, but not surprising I suppose in a largely mono-phone country. Some of the Irish names mentioned above are actually beautifully descriptive.

I once trained a horse named Alpo, which is a brand of dog food in America; he was a lovely lad.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
If I ever become a millionaire I would breed racehorses and give them the rudest names I could get past Weatherbys.

My non-horsey partner is being trained up, but insists if I'm allowed a horse (which will most likely be of the hairy cob/native persuasion, it be named...…Groovejet….

blitznbobs

Visit site
I can't like that but appreciate it's not your fault

it kind of is — his name was Fred when he arrived my surname was west, it was only when I got a bill from the vets I realised what he was now known as ... but given he would bite you or kick you he’s quite well named I suppose

Pinkvboots

Visit site
it kind of is — his name was Fred when he arrived my surname was west, it was only when I got a bill from the vets I realised what he was now known as ... but given he would bite you or kick you he’s quite well named I suppose

Bless him it does sound like his name fits! It's one if those things nothing you can do I imagine it happens quite a bit.

oldie48

Visit site
It's funny how much trouble you all have with "foreign" names, but not surprising I suppose in a largely mono-phone country. Some of the Irish names mentioned above are actually beautifully descriptive.

Yes indeed, our dun connie was Woodstock Cuilin Bui (may have spelt that incorrectly) but translates to yellow girl, I believe, An Buachaille Liiath Bertie was the Grey Lad and Donnrua Rebel was a chestnut horse. we were on a bit of a roll with the Gaelic names and they were all Irish horses or ponies.