Off to Wales to try again next week.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Back from picking the keys up.
My Sister and I went in to Newcastle Emlyn to pick the keys up on Saturday. My Sister is also an Estate Agent up here in Caterham in Surrey and she just could believe the prices of the properties on offer in their office!
She said there was a flat in Caterham that was having an open day that day and was up for £250 yet she was standing in the Newcastle Emlyn office looking at a rural property with 4 acres, detached house, outbuildings and no near neighbours for the same £250 price!
It's like going back in time.
We got to the bungalow and went it, boiling hot as all the radiators were on full.
The basement of the bungalow is like a maze, little alleyways and rooms all over the place, even it's own toilet, it's like a labyrinth out of a Harry Potter film.
Can use all of this area for storage.
It took is a while to suss out the oil fired rayburn range, haven't used one since I lived on a farm back in the 1970's and that was coal fired. Forgot you can't do anything in a hurry with a range!
We were dying for a cup of tea but had to wait 40 mins for the (camping) kettle to boil!
We took my Transit van down loaded up but not an electric kettle in sight in that.
We slept over, Sister had the big blow up mattress, I had the floor on a few cut up dog bed duvets, needless to say my back hurt by the morning but got my revenge in the fact I didn't put the bung in properly in the mattress when I inflated it for her. With the air slowing escaping by the morning her head was on the floor and her ar** skywards, :)
Was so nice to wake up the cockerels crowing, means mine won't feel out of place when I get them down here.
We walked the field, fence needs attention here and there to stop dogs and chickens escaping.
Place hasn't been lived in for at least 3 years so lots of little jobs to do but nothing major.
We certainly noticed the difference to Caterham, traffic wise especially, we had 3 cars pass the bungalow in the 24 hours we were there. Here it's like a racetrack up and down our road sometimes.
I'm back down there next weekend with another van load and there's an event on at a local garden centre in Newcastle Emlyn selling 60 varies of seed potatoes as well as onions, peas, shallots etc too good to miss as we will be growing lots of our own food.
Looking forward to it.
Anyone on England who's thinking of escaping the rat race go ahead, take the plunge you'll be glad you did, everyone we've met so far has been very friendly and the pace of life is a lot quieter and slower.

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
A word of caution to those who would migrate; It tends to be a one way trip, in as much as your 'London £1' will buy you what Oz now has, but 'if' you arrive in the wilds, and decide that you don't like it, reversing the process isn't always so easy.

It would suit me just fine, but not everyone, perhaps.

Really pleased for you OZ!!

Alec.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Wales did well in the Rugby, saw the queues going in to Cardiff as we were driving back to Surrey earlier, huge tailbacks, glad we were going the other way and avoided it this morning by driving to Wales at 4.30 am!
Long day, more stuff (heavy) moved in to new bungalow in Wales, such a different pace and quality of life there,
Wales= nothing to be heard apart from dogs barking on the farms, cockerels crowing and occasional cow or sheep, mooing or bleating, tractor driver smiles and waves as he drives past our gate, 3 cars pass in 24 hours.
Surrey=Noise from traffic 24/7 no where to park, stress, stress and more stress, no one smiles at you as you go about your business
I know which one I prefer.

JillA

Visit site
Ha ha - when I moved to West Wales I got a job in a shop in Aberystwyth. On the day of the first international rugby match featuring Wales that year the town was EMPTY, I'll never forget the culture shock. Enjoy your peace and quiet

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
You can't beat living in Wales and if you miss the noise of city living Cardiff is a shortish drive and a beautiful city as well. Welcome to Wales, you are in a beautiful area.

Nicnac

Visit site
Sounds idyllic and that little bungalow that you posted a few days ago would suit me fine. Wishing you lots of happiness!

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Went to Wales and back yesterday,490 miles, unloaded van, sorted out lower workshop (turned it in to a barn for the chickens by putting in bedding, perches etc) but it was wet and windy so go a little damp but that was nothing as to what happened after that. I was fixing our hosepipe on to the tap in the basement so I could fill the 2 x 50 gallon water tanks outside and the water barrel as all are full of wildlife and needed topping up.
Decided after I started running the water that the original short bit of pipe outside was actually long enough to use as it just about reached the tanks,so took ours back off but forgot to release the pressure I had built up in the pipe, (you can see where this is going can't you).
The resulting jet of water that backfired out of the hosepipe would have put a water cannon to shame and I was directly in the firing line. Soaked from head to foot I sought solace in the kitchen, removing my trousers, sweat shirt and socks to hang over the kitchen range to dry a bit.
Walking round in just my underpants and tee shirt I got a phone call from friend in Wales local to me to say the previous owner, who she knows, was a few minutes away as he was coming round to show me how to work the heating!
Trying to put half soaked trousers back on in a hurry is far more difficult than one imagines.
I also managed to carpet shampoo 2 carpets whilst there but was tired when I got home and then took the dogs out for a good walk in the dark round Kenley airfield, nearly got blown off my feet several times, a lot windier here than in Wales

cremedemonthe

Visit site
We've landed, boxes everywhere but boy, is it nice and quiet, on the net via a 3-4g EE dongle, far better speed than the measly less than 1 Mbps on a landline here!
Running at 25 Mbps which is under half of what I was but it seems ok so no worries, just have a data download limit so will have to watch where I go!
Neighbours little dogs came running up the lane and in the gate when we arrived, seen ONE car go past today so far!!
SO different to Caterham in Surrey, was sad to leave that house as I was born there but they have ruined it with over population and a*se*oles moving in around us.
My hens are asleep in the barn, my dogs are tucked up after running round the field and both Mum and I are happy, Oz

Finlib

Visit site
Welcome to Wales! You landed when the weather is pretty good been dry for a few days with some sun!!!.Hope you soon get settled and sorted .I am sure it will soon feel like home and you won't even remember the busy times of your previous place.
Enjoy your new found peace and quiet .

Alec Swan

Visit site
Oz, have you had that moment yet when you've sat down and thought 'Oh ***k, what have I done'? :) If you haven't already, you may well do but it's only a transitionary period before we come to the understanding that most things work out for the best.

I'm really impressed, not just with you but with your Mum too. A courageous and trusting lady. Well done both of you. Fists in the air and face the world! :)

Alec.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Sort of Alec, felt a bit like that today and still in the frame of mind, of "at home we did it differently" as I haven't grasped yet THIS is now my home and not in Surrey.Feel like I'm on holiday and we will go "home" in a week or so.Strange feeling. I was born in Caterham in the house I left 2 days ago.
I still have stuff left at Caterham I need to collect, so may be back up there next weekend.
As regards to Wales, beautiful first full day here, I was out putting up temporary chicken run for my hens but they were too shy to come out of the barn!
Kite sailing over my head, very low on and off all day, maybe that's why the hens decided to hide in the barn.
Outside in the field all I could hear today were Cockerels crowing, Turkeys gobbling, Geese having a hissy fit, Guinea Fowls revving up, sheep bleating, cow's mooing and birds singing, heaven!
Sun shone all day, beautiful views here.
Warmer and less windy than Caterham, about same rain so far.
We were higher up in Caterham than here so used to bad weather before anyone starts on about "how wet it is in Wales" it's WET in Caterham too.

saalsk

Visit site
We did the same thing a year ago - moving from Brum ( and 2 dozen other places prior to that, courtesy of the military ) to Carmarthenshire - I now have chickens, geese, my horses on my own land, a polytunnel and a large veg plot. I am on the road from Newcastle Emlyn to Cynwyl Elfed, near Maudlands Cross - awesome here, isn't it !

L&M

Visit site
Welcome to Wales Oz! I have to drag myself back to the south east now and have never regretted the move.

Hope your move fulfils your dreams xx

cremedemonthe

Visit site
We did the same thing a year ago - moving from Brum ( and 2 dozen other places prior to that, courtesy of the military ) to Carmarthenshire - I now have chickens, geese, my horses on my own land, a polytunnel and a large veg plot. I am on the road from Newcastle Emlyn to Cynwyl Elfed, near Maudlands Cross - awesome here, isn't it !

I go past you then and spur off up the B4333 to Tanglwst when driving up from Carmarthen :)

Finlib

Visit site
how is it going? you certainly brought good weather with you glorious weather in Pembrokeshire after all the wind!

cremedemonthe

Visit site
That wind blew down my temporary netting to keep my poultry in and I thought it had disappeared as it was no where to be seen! It had taken off up over the bungalow and luckily snagged itself on an outside tap, all the poles went with it too! If the tap hadn't had been there I am sure I would have been up the top of the hill unwrapping a sheep that had been packaged in netting!
Glorious weather today and yesterday, got droppings in the field that I think are Brown Hare's but we will see.
A hen Buzzard sat right outside out kitchen window on the electricity pole watching us watching her yesterday, she finally got fed up with Goldfinches and Blackbirds mobbing her and flew off for a bit of peace and quiet.
I have yet to cut through the stock fencing at the bottom of the paddock and put a gate and steps in down to the stream/river. Plenty of firewood down there too.
Neighbours up the road are very friendly, puts Caterham to shame.Lady down the the farm on the corner brought a potted plant up for my Mum to say welcome, lady in next bungalow lets me walk my dogs in her 4 fields and man in next field who also has poultry said I can walk them round his field too to discourage the foxes.
My health is better (breathing), I was quite wheezy in Caterham (Surrey Hills) which I put down to pollution, here it's quality air and no wheezing.
The water here is better too, all in all, better quality of life!
Going to my first smallholders, equestrian and car boot sale on 27th March, we want some ducks !

Finlib

Visit site
There certainly is 'a welcome in the hillside' in Wales we noticed when we moved from what was rural Hampshire 6 years ago
.Considering our nearest neighbours are a walk away everyone goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I found 2 sacks of carrots on my doorstep this morning a near neighbour dropped them over as she knows I like carrots for my 2 veteran horses (28 and 22 ) as they help to encourage them to clear up their bowls (the others get a few too) She saw them at the local market and as she was getting 2 for herself she got 2 for me how kind!
We are on our own spring water here which as you say is lovely mind you after the hard water we had before I have only just got used to using less soap and detergent its so soft you end up with suds everywhere if you aren't careful.
Enjoy your new life glad your settling in

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Silver Appleyards are what you want, if you can find them, serious table ducks!! Apart from that, an excellent post. You will find your feet, I feel certain.

Alec.

Will investigate but we are after Magpie ducks which we have taken a liking to, have had so many different ones in the past these seems like a nice change

cremedemonthe

Visit site
There certainly is 'a welcome in the hillside' in Wales we noticed when we moved from what was rural Hampshire 6 years ago
.Considering our nearest neighbours are a walk away everyone goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I found 2 sacks of carrots on my doorstep this morning a near neighbour dropped them over as she knows I like carrots for my 2 veteran horses (28 and 22 ) as they help to encourage them to clear up their bowls (the others get a few too) She saw them at the local market and as she was getting 2 for herself she got 2 for me how kind!
We are on our own spring water here which as you say is lovely mind you after the hard water we had before I have only just got used to using less soap and detergent its so soft you end up with suds everywhere if you aren't careful.
Enjoy your new life glad your settling in

Yes, we know what you mean about less soap, everyone has said "you'll need less soap,detergent, washing up liquid etc" and they are right!
Disappeared in a bowl of suds the other week trying to wash up and used the "normal" Caterham amount of soap!
Learn't my lesson.
Went up the top of the hill (we are only half way up and little lower than at Caterham), view was even better up there, such a wonderful country, shame Surrey has become so polluted and over crowded as I remember when Surrey (Caterham) was like this too.
Still getting used to using my dongle for broadband, just ran out of data and had to go and top it up on a card but I got up to 35 Mbps download and 11.60 Mbps upload speeds so far, the upload is 3 times faster than my Virgin fibre up at Caterham!
Oz :)

saalsk

Visit site
Ah yes, the "soap" thing caught me out too ! I got used to the hand washing/shower/washing dishes stuff ok, then forgot the first time I washed the horse - put the usual large glug of PromisesToGetGrubbyGreyHorseCleanInSingleWashPoo and the bubbles were still there on the yard the following day !
I am lucky enough to have views over to the Preseli tops one way, the Brecons the other, and down over Carmarthen to the sea. On good days I can see Worms Head, and on really good days, The north coast of Devon. The downside of being so high up is the wind - everything has to be tied down, or in the shed, and the poly tunnel has its own windbreak, not to mention the concrete foundation. The upside is very few flies, which having come from low laying water meadow type grazing, is an absolute god send. No cats or squirrels around me, so the bird table is fully stocked, and very busy, which is also lovely. It has been strange swapping the sight of Red Kites for Buzzards, but nice to see them anyway. Foxes mean the chickens are inside an electric fenced area, although the geese ( 7, large ) are free to roam a fenced section of field, and are in a secure shed at night. Touch wood, I haven't seen a fox for the last 6 months, although I know my neighbour has had problems with her hens being attacked (they are free to roam her smallholding during the day). I try to walk the dog around the borders of the fields to make use of the marking of territory, and I am working hard to get all the border edges of fields set with thick gorse hedging ( about half is already growing fine, and provides a great barrier, and a wind break for the fields too, especially as a lot of the fence is on top a high bank)
I have found that my hat collection has grown astronomically, and are named according to use. Lightweight Turnout, RainSheet, Heavyweight Turnout, FlySheet etc ! A new form of matchy matchy !

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Lovely to hear all your 'we love Wales' posts. I was born here and would never wish to live anywhere else, I love my home. Just nice to know I am not biased and that Wales truly is a wonderful place to live. You will all have to start learning the language now and riding Welsh Cobs!!