Off to Wales to try again next week.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Amymay...sorry to interrupt for a moment, the places you mention, Boncath , Fynnone etc, I'm about 5 minutes drive from there.

I didn't know you were so close by. Meet up?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hey gala - would love to.Pretty full on for the next fortnight, but would love to after then xx Maybe we can arrange foe Oz to join us...

Speedyjax

New User
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I've joined the forum today, and I stumbled across this thread, and thought I should say hi. I also live near you all, in Drefach Felindre, in fact when my family and I first moved to Wales, the house wasn't finalised so most of us moved into a holiday cottage in Tanglwst, and some of our dearest family friends are those that we made right at the very beginning in Tanglwst. One of which, CDM, would probably be your neighbour that bought you the housewarming gift, Pam, our hairdresser...?

The off road riding up round this area isn't particularly good. Carmarthenshire is notorious for being crap, apart from Brechfa type area. Pembs is meant to be great, and I'm not sure about Ceredigion.

My initial reason for joining the forum was to research for my planned business of horse and pet sitting, and to get some thoughts on names, which I will start a thread for somewhere if any of you would be interested in looking at? I don't want to take over this thread for that

Speedyjax

New User
Visit site
Oh and I forgot to say CDM, your house was one my husband had his eye on for ages (not that we can afford to buy) purely for the garage/workshop area (he is a mechanic) got put off it a bit as I heard there was a puppy farm opposite which could get pretty noisy, but don't know how bad it ACTUALLY is. Right I'm off to go find a suitable place to start this thread, although I should probably try and sleep!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I've joined the forum today, and I stumbled across this thread, and thought I should say hi. I also live near you all, in Drefach Felindre, in fact when my family and I first moved to Wales, the house wasn't finalised so most of us moved into a holiday cottage in Tanglwst, and some of our dearest family friends are those that we made right at the very beginning in Tanglwst. One of which, CDM, would probably be your neighbour that bought you the housewarming gift, Pam, our hairdresser...?

The off road riding up round this area isn't particularly good. Carmarthenshire is notorious for being crap, apart from Brechfa type area. Pembs is meant to be great, and I'm not sure about Ceredigion.

My initial reason for joining the forum was to research for my planned business of horse and pet sitting, and to get some thoughts on names, which I will start a thread for somewhere if any of you would be interested in looking at? I don't want to take over this thread for that

Hello, welcome to the forum and yes, Pam comes up to cut my Mum's hair!

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Oh and I forgot to say CDM, your house was one my husband had his eye on for ages (not that we can afford to buy) purely for the garage/workshop area (he is a mechanic) got put off it a bit as I heard there was a puppy farm opposite which could get pretty noisy, but don't know how bad it ACTUALLY is. Right I'm off to go find a suitable place to start this thread, although I should probably try and sleep!

Yes, we have 2 garages, both with large inspection pits in. I have one as a workshop and have turned the other one in to a barn as it's full of chickens and ducks!

Pipkin

Visit site

I'm lucky, everywhere I have lived in Carms has had amazing hacking, have just moved my horses up on top of Llanllwni for the winter so am spoilt for choice, hopefully buying in brechfa next spring providing all goes to plan. Llanllwni/brechfa/caio/llandovery is all great, anything else is, as you say crap. Shame really.

RidesWestern

Visit site
I'm lucky, everywhere I have lived in Carms has had amazing hacking, have just moved my horses up on top of Llanllwni for the winter so am spoilt for choice, hopefully buying in brechfa next spring providing all goes to plan. Llanllwni/brechfa/caio/llandovery is all great, anything else is, as you say crap. Shame really.

Have you been out exploring the mountain? We should meet up for a ride sometime.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Meet the thug, only 7 inches tall and sits in a pen in my workshop watching me. Runs up and down trying to get out to get in my way!
He pulls bits of material that I am working on through the side of pen , I am making 4 cable parachutes which I have to lay out on very large tables, he can reach them unfortunately!
He thinks it's great fun.

the%20thug_zpshmw9jryh.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Pipkin

Visit site
Have you been out exploring the mountain? We should meet up for a ride sometime.

As long as the spotty nutter can be avoided then yes :)
Going to explore Gwernogle on the weekend after clipping, they're getting a bit hot to go out for more than hour now.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
How are all the locals to me doing then?
I have settled in really well, since last April I have had a lovely Welsh girlfriend who lives about 400 yards up the road from me which is very handy. It's like having your own interpretor and sat nav right on your doorstep.
She knows the area very well, her Son is a tractor driver (self employed) which is also handy as he cuts our hedges in the field.
I still can't speak Welsh despite my girlfriends best attempts at teaching me, I know a few words but struggle with the pronounciations and have come to the conclusion I am just not clever enough to learn.
I was never good at languages, any, including English.
Business is ticking over, a few local contacts who want saddlery made or repaired and as this isn't the Club House where anything goes I can't tell you on here what I have had to make a couple of months ago. Even took me by surprise, NEVER in 32 years have I been asked to make one of those, never knew they even existed :), still, always making something different are I.
Oz

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
How are all the locals to me doing then?
I have settled in really well, since last April I have had a lovely Welsh girlfriend who lives about 400 yards up the road from me which is very handy. It's like having your own interpretor and sat nav right on your doorstep.
She knows the area very well, her Son is a tractor driver (self employed) which is also handy as he cuts our hedges in the field.
I still can't speak Welsh despite my girlfriends best attempts at teaching me, I know a few words but struggle with the pronounciations and have come to the conclusion I am just not clever enough to learn.
I was never good at languages, any, including English.
Business is ticking over, a few local contacts who want saddlery made or repaired and as this isn't the Club House where anything goes I can't tell you on here what I have had to make a couple of months ago. Even took me by surprise, NEVER in 32 years have I been asked to make one of those, never knew they even existed :), still, always making something different are I.
Oz

Was it a chastity belt?

cally23

Visit site
Can I say hello and ask for some advice please? We are moving from Cardiff to West Wales, hopefully spring next year. We are going on a scouting mission in November. Can you give me any advice regarding, areas you think we should avoid, where I would find good Hacking and any other opinions would be most appreciated. We are looking for a smallholding, with land, stabling for at least 4 Horses. We are open to almost any area if it will provide the above. Cheers and TIA

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Hello,
There is hacking around but not near me other than the Horse Trail about 2-3 miles away.
If you want a reliable estate agent to look for properties then I would recommend Philip Ling in Newcastle Emlyn, he sold us our bungalow and to be honest all the other usual estate agents were rubbish.They either didn't turn up or gave a very different picture of the place we were seeing than our own eyes were telling us.Some of the properties were almost derelict and falling down yet were described as "perfect country residences" !
MAKE sure you get a survey what ever you buy, as much as I hate to say it, there are some lovely places here and equally some utter rubbish too.
I used a very good surveyor who was brutally honest and thorough and saved us making a very expense mistake which would have had us buying a property that was full of asbestos!
Oz

saalsk

Visit site
*waves*

Doesn't time just fly ! we are hitting year 3 here now, and with the sheep and the horses ( and work, but that just gets in the way of me having fun with the horses ! ) and it is still fabulous. The snow has been fun though !