Oh my word this could end badly

Smitty

Visit site
2 whippets cost me the best part of £100 a month in food, I cant imagine what 8 XLs cost to feed! :oops:
Just that!!

My 9kg terrier, 10 yo per month

£19.00 Approx insurance (and it probably won't work but am backed by savings)
£10.00 Approx Yu Move
£25.00 approx Gabapentin
£20-£40 approx food (dunno, I just get another 2Kg bag from Jolleys of their grain free when running low)

Smitty

Visit site
What can they do apart from have them killed? A horrendous choice for the poor owners.
I totally agree. I'm not sure sure why they raised them, knowing they would end up with a load of dogs that are not rehomeable. I thought PTS at birth, but then how would the poor bitch deal with it.

If I remember correctly, when our family 's GR bitch on heat went AWOL one day, Mum took her for an injection on her return to prevent pups.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I feel sorry for them but I am very surprised that The Dogs Trust is helping them! Why on earth are they not being clearly told by any Dog Charity they contact that this is a serious welfare issue, and they absolutely cannot provide a suitable life for 8 XC bullies. Not even in the short term and certainly not in the long term.

I hope the landlord evicts and forces the family to come to their senses and euthanise. It is very sad as I am sure they love the pups, but they can't give them any kind of quality of life, even now, never mind when they all need regular exercise which will only ever be able to be on-lead. And when they start scrapping and hurting each other.

palo1

Visit site
Words fail me...So, these puppies will have to be neutered/spayed under the current law but before that there is every possibility that they will either start bickering amongst themselves - putting each other and the owners at risk, or mate with each other. Neutering/spaying may not correct any aggression and I can't imagine any of these poor dogs will get to go out and about, so the putative rented field will be their world. Until they turn on their owners and some poor copper has to shoot the lot of them and deal with the aftermath of an attack. It is a shame that they cannot be legally removed and humanely euthanised. I wonder, other than pure, totally misdirected sentimentality, why these folks want this nightmare? Just urgggh!!

oldandgold

Visit site
A friend many years ago took on a lab x from a rescue (not an "official rescue" and then found out the dog was pregnant. The dog had the pups but 6 were pts immediately and the owner kept one and a friend had another. It was the best outcome all round.

Personally I think the owner of these xl's is absolutely nuts and if not already will soon be setting up go fund Me's. They should do the responsible thing and pts - sorry if that offends anyone

Smitty

Visit site
A friend many years ago took on a lab x from a rescue (not an "official rescue" and then found out the dog was pregnant. The dog had the pups but 6 were pts immediately and the owner kept one and a friend had another. It was the best outcome all round.

Personally I think the owner of these xl's is absolutely nuts and if not already will soon be setting up go fund Me's. They should do the responsible thing and pts - sorry if that offends anyone
It doesn't offend me, but I have struggled to have horses and dogs PTS, when they have problems, even though it would be the best thing, so I can see it would be very difficult to have healthy pups PTS.

Such a shame it got to this point.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
The Labrador will be glad to be out of there, he's the lucky one.

Very true, but I still can't get my head around how casually they could dispose of their original dog. :oops: That's not an animal lover IMO. I wonder what's the motive behind their absolute stupidity, and I'm guessing the landlord isn't going to be thrilled when they finally vacate his property.

nutjob

Visit site
I hope the landlord evicts and forces the family to come to their senses and euthanise.
That's what I would have done when I had rental properties. The landlord is in a totally unenviable position as they will get blamed by the council if the house gets mouldy, unhygenic or stuff like the boiler breaks and it's too dangerous for tradesmen to enter the property. Neighbours also complain to the landlord if the smell of dog faeces and urine affects them.

I've had kitchen units, door frames, skirting boards and laminate flooring extensively chewed when tenants had just one dog. It's a given that all the carpets will need to be replaced when the owners can't or won't house train their pets but even when you do this, the smell of dog urine permeates the floor boards, doors and walls and it's hard to get rid of it. I was bitten by a tenants Romanian 'rescue' dog and she also let it bite the electrician and gas fitter so I couldn't get repairs done at the property. No way would I enter a house with all these xl bullys or expect anyone I had employed to do so.

I feel really sorry for who ever owns this house it will be a costly mess to put right and it takes months to get them out if another sucker landlord won't take them on.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've only just read it properly.
Is there absolutely no option? I know they cant be rehomed here but I don't know really about the whole new rules and regulations thing? Are they actually stuck with those dogs for the rest of their lives or pts?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What can they do apart from have them killed? A horrendous choice for the poor owners.
It is isn't it. I agree they are nuts and the whole situation is absolutely crazy.
I have said before I've never bred a dog, and, apart from the fact I've just never had any desire to do so but also I would feel so responsible and just spend the rest of the dogs life wondering if they were ok, so I'd imagine it incredibly hard to pts a healthy litter of puppies regardless of breed.
I would have had the pregnancy terminated if possible as soon as I found out and I'd also want to be absolutely sure a bitch wasn't in pup before taking her on, to avoid the heart ache.
A bit of me feels sorry for the obviously delusional owners.

maisie06

Visit site
I've only just read it properly.
Is there absolutely no option? I know they cant be rehomed here but I don't know really about the whole new rules and regulations thing? Are they actually stuck with those dogs for the rest of their pts?
they are stuck, either keep or pts.....in all honesty i think it would have been best all round to have put the bitch down rather than rehome i bet the original owbners knew and passed the problem on rather than man up and do the right thing.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm not a dog person, but surely they won't be able to be able to properly train them as individuals either - I'd want any dog to be implicitly trained, but even more so this breed as there's so much more than can go wrong

They're stuck in one room with limited exercise, I have visions of them going in the room one day and the whole pack of them turning. They're massive as well they're not allowed going to have proper space either

It sounds like they are well meaning but naïve, I'd have got rid of the new dog before rehoming my elderly dog that presumably they've had many years.

This is not going to end well. I could maybe understand keeping one of the puppies but not 8... It wouldn't even be so bad if it was another breed but this one needs such attention to detail as when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong - there are too many of them to provide that, even if they were a regular breed how can you give them the one to one attention they need when you have so many

The feed costs will be extortionate

Could they have terminated the pregnancy that late as sounds like she only had a month left if they got her in November and they arrived in December

Crowd funding incoming to buy them a massive house....