Olympia last night - Dressage Freestyle

alexomahony

Visit site
Just wow - I loved the big grey, Charlotte and Carl were both lovely, Lottie's horse was stunning - and you know what was lovely... most the horses seemed much more relaxed than usual... maybe the other nations are taking note of Carl and Charlotte's turn out and hacking regimes?! A bit of tail swishing with a few horses but other then that the horses all looked happy to be there! A real shame for Richard at the start of his test but we've all been there and it's nice to see that horses and riders at that level aren't always perfect!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Agree, there were some slightly tense performances but on the whole I really enjoyed the evening. I was willing Bubblingh to chill a bit at the start because I just love his freestyle but he pulled it back really well.
Also enjoyed Frederic Wandres - last year I thought it lacked a bit of the cheerfulness of some of the other top horses but this year I felt it was very good, he's a total showman too.
I totally wanted to take Libertino home, he looked like he would be a lovely horse to ride! only 9 as well.

alexomahony

Visit site
MP - you do a much better job at remembering the names than I do.

I'm not really a dressage rider, but I've decided it's a dream of mine to ride those movements one day - a trip to Talland may be in order!

What I also wanted to point out is the strength of Charlotte - her ability to be so still yet effective, and strong through her core is unrivaled. though the others are certainly not by any means 'sloppy'... in comparison to her they look like they're made of rubber!

milliepops

Visit site
ha! yes she is something else, she works very hard at it and it shows.

I'm utterly shattered now, the M4 was shut on our way home so stumbling in through the door at 1.45 was punishing, zzzzzz

ihatework

Visit site
Charlotte is unreal! I was there on Monday and caught most of the freestyle on red button.

MP can have Libertino if I can have Duke of Britain?!

I thought Lara Butler produced 2 very solid tests and would like to have seen her a little closer to the top 3.

Everdale & Lottie Fry most definitely a flamboyant and exciting combo for the future, personally the tension in these tests actually left me feeling a bit meh, but I look forward to following their progress

milliepops

Visit site
I'm not really a dressage rider, but I've decided it's a dream of mine to ride those movements one day - a trip to Talland may be in order!

oh, on this, I haven't been to Talland but I have definitely enjoyed riding the tricks on a schoolmaster elsewhere, if you get a nice generous horse it's great fun even if you aren't really in control of what they are offering :p

I've felt totally out of it while Kira has been off work this autumn but I've got my mojo back (even if we are still only walking and trotting ;))

milliepops

Visit site
I said to OH (who was there under duress) that I would like to take Duke of Britain home please, but he said I wouldn't be able to afford the shoeing even on his special rates :p

Libertino looked like a really consistent performer, I could imagine it may actually be possible for a bumbling amateur to ride him!

alexomahony

Visit site
ha! yes she is something else, she works very hard at it and it shows.

I'm utterly shattered now, the M4 was shut on our way home so stumbling in through the door at 1.45 was punishing, zzzzzz

Ahhh were you there in person? Amazing <3 Mum and I say every year we will go but still haven't made it! Quite the trip form Yorkshire though!

alexomahony

Visit site
Charlotte is unreal! I was there on Monday and caught most of the freestyle on red button.

I thought Lara Butler produced 2 very solid tests and would like to have seen her a little closer to the top 3.

Everdale & Lottie Fry most definitely a flamboyant and exciting combo for the future, personally the tension in these tests actually left me feeling a bit meh, but I look forward to following their progress

Yes Lara's test last night was beautiful - that horse is so light on it's feet! I'd have expected her to get a higher mark.

I agree with the tension with Everdale - I couldn't decide if it was tension or just how the horse went... I wonder if it's bred along similar lines to Tortilas.. it's way of going and obviously colour all looked very familiar! She's only young though isn't she and hopefully the pair will learn to relax and produce some lovely tests.

milliepops

Visit site
oh yeah, that would be a schlep. I go for the freestyle every year, I keep promising myself front row tickets one year but I can't quite ever justify the expense when you can see pretty well from most of the seats anyway if you get on the case early enough ;)

alexomahony

Visit site
oh, on this, I haven't been to Talland but I have definitely enjoyed riding the tricks on a schoolmaster elsewhere, if you get a nice generous horse it's great fun even if you aren't really in control of what they are offering :p

I've felt totally out of it while Kira has been off work this autumn but I've got my mojo back (even if we are still only walking and trotting ;))

Talland is the only place I know of that offer that level of school master - I'm not sure where else I could go. Suggestions welcome! :)

Roxylola

Visit site
Talland is the only place I know of that offer that level of school master - I'm not sure where else I could go. Suggestions welcome! :)
I've had a couple of lessons at Talland, they are school horses so they are pretty safe types, but the second one I rode had some super tricks up his sleeve when he got going although it took a fair amount to get him forward. I think if you pay extra you can request one of the "elite" horses which I presume are a bit more forward thinking from the off. I definitely enjoyed it though.
There is a lady in Congleton (near somerford park) who offers school master lessons - can't think of her name off the top of my head - Michelle Walker maybe - but she is on the BD group on facebook so if you put something up I'm sure she'd respond. It's still a trek of course but nearer than Talland. I haven't been to her as at the time I was looking I came across my super cob and now have a regular ride so all my pennies are going to training with him, although I haven't ruled out booking a lesson just to go and say I've ridden a line of tempis!
Bit further south Ingestre would do something I am sure.
Possibly nearer home for you, I'd consider at least speaking to Yorkshire Riding Centre - I don't know about now but they used to run exams up to at least stage 4 and have students so I would expect they'd be able to give school master lessons.
You might also be surprised by a local decent riding school - where I used to work one we had a couple of advanced medium horses used for higher level lessons occasionally, so it is worth an ask.

On the getting to Olympia thing I am going on Sunday on the train from Manchester. Obviously it wouldn't work for the evening performances but it only takes a couple of hours to get down - I guess if you are committed to the dressage nights that would be a bit different but I am just super excited for the "pantomime" lol

alexomahony

Visit site
I've had a couple of lessons at Talland, they are school horses so they are pretty safe types, but the second one I rode had some super tricks up his sleeve when he got going although it took a fair amount to get him forward. I think if you pay extra you can request one of the "elite" horses which I presume are a bit more forward thinking from the off. I definitely enjoyed it though.
There is a lady in Congleton (near somerford park) who offers school master lessons - can't think of her name off the top of my head - Michelle Walker maybe - but she is on the BD group on facebook so if you put something up I'm sure she'd respond. It's still a trek of course but nearer than Talland. I haven't been to her as at the time I was looking I came across my super cob and now have a regular ride so all my pennies are going to training with him, although I haven't ruled out booking a lesson just to go and say I've ridden a line of tempis!
Bit further south Ingestre would do something I am sure.
Possibly nearer home for you, I'd consider at least speaking to Yorkshire Riding Centre - I don't know about now but they used to run exams up to at least stage 4 and have students so I would expect they'd be able to give school master lessons.
You might also be surprised by a local decent riding school - where I used to work one we had a couple of advanced medium horses used for higher level lessons occasionally, so it is worth an ask.

On the getting to Olympia thing I am going on Sunday on the train from Manchester. Obviously it wouldn't work for the evening performances but it only takes a couple of hours to get down - I guess if you are committed to the dressage nights that would be a bit different but I am just super excited for the "pantomime" lol

To be honest, if I was going to head down I'd be going for two days - a dressage day and then the puissance or some other SJ'ing as that's what I really love! We just need to pull out finger out and sort it really :)

Thank you so much for all the info - Somerford is much closer and i'm regularly in Manchester so could happily pop over there. I will post on FB, thanks for that! We have Bishop Burton here which I'm sure have some advanced horses - I expect it's the same as anywhere, you need to have a lesson on the more 'normal' horses first to prove your ability before they let you loose on a Elite type. Just waiting it last night I just thought WOW I want to see how that feels! Piaffe and Passage is quite normal for my Welsh cob out hunting and my connie will do changes every 3/4 strides which is super cool but not always my choice haha

Roxylola

Visit site
Very welcome I don't often have much useful to add - so when I did I bombarded you with all of it lol.
I've never been before, but I have this southerner friend - she's alright really though ;) and I've been going down to see her in London for odd days out this year so we thought we'd combine that with Olympia and a mooch around their xmas markets although I suspect it will be just like the ones we have in Manchester but even busier lol. I'd love to have done 2 days like you say but cost, time off work and dogs make it all a bit unachievable

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes Lara's test last night was beautiful - that horse is so light on it's feet! I'd have expected her to get a higher mark.

I agree with the tension with Everdale - I couldn't decide if it was tension or just how the horse went... I wonder if it's bred along similar lines to Tortilas.. it's way of going and obviously colour all looked very familiar! She's only young though isn't she and hopefully the pair will learn to relax and produce some lovely tests.

I agree, I loved Lara's test, I was thinking how smooth it was and it would have been nice to see her higher placed. Ditto the other remarks.

milliepops

Visit site
I think she's an incredible rider but I do enjoy watching Gareth Hughes ride, a lot. He isn't always quite as "neat" as some others but he does make it all look very light and easy, and harmonious I think.

alexomahony

Visit site
I thoroughly enjoyed last nights dressage. I found the hind action of one of the horses very strange- I think it was the Finnish riders Horse- Dacor?

Interestingly I thought Freestyle’s hind patterns looked almost too flexible! I have never noticed before but noticed on Freestyle her hind fetlocks were often nearly touching the floor! I’ve no idea if this is a good or bad thing!

BOWS28

Visit site
oh yeah, that would be a schlep. I go for the freestyle every year, I keep promising myself front row tickets one year but I can't quite ever justify the expense when you can see pretty well from most of the seats anyway if you get on the case early enough ;)

I used to go every year with my aunt and her late father and we used to have front row seats every time... i must add they paid as my christmas present each year. I'm going back on saturday for the first time in 5 years and i've treated mum! Needless to say we are NOT front row this time around lol:D

wispagold

Visit site
I've just watched the tests on iplayer (perks of being on maternity leave) and thought it was lovely seeing so many relaxed horses. Couldn't take my eyes of Freestyle's huge, floppy ears ??

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Why were so many of the horses wearing heart bar shoes in front? Is this a thing for dressage horses?
I'm glad you said that, I was wondering it myself but didn't like to say because I don't have the best eyesight and didn't want to comment in case I was mistaken.

milliepops

Visit site
there was a fair bit of discussion between farriers incl the team farriers on FB last night hence my (farrier) OH's remark about Duke of Britain's shoeing bill ;)

I am not an expert... I would say that these horses are performing at their limits at these shows so I guess either the shoeing is to add support etc as a preventative or to alleviate little injuries picked up along the way. it's not just heart bars, there were lots of pads and other bits added to the sides etc.