OMG it's august weekend plans!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Finally getting to a show!! Taking my 2YR old spotty butt for a couple of inhand classes with a friend. Fingers crossed he loads on the lorry!!! And that I can get him into their arena (he’s never seen one!) I’ve spend the past week making a showing browband which I hope fits. Will try it out today. I’m buggered if not ?

DressageCob

Visit site
I filmed an attempt at a medium test with the big lad today. I was quite tense in places so took his movement away in the sideways (slap the jockey), but I wasn't as tense as I normally in a test environment so I have submitted it. I'm not expecting any fancy placings etc but I wasn't embarrassed so I though I'd get some feedback.

Roxylola

Visit site
Ooh yay chippers ? exciting!
Edit to add, I'm confident we'll be slow and way out of placing so at least you wont be last

Chippers1

Visit site
Ooh yay chippers ? exciting!
Edit to add, I'm confident we'll be slow and way out of placing so at least you wont be last

Haha well it depends on what mood Buzz is in on the day, if it's anything like the BE80 then we'll be home before the xc starts ?
Although I'm going into it feeling much more confident and a "we can do it!" Attitude! Definitely need to go have a practice over the newer xc fences first though ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Kicked off the weekend with a bit of electric fencing (everyone's favourite job)
I had left Salty and Hera out last night as they spent most of the day in the stable escaping the heat, so I shut them in so I could move the fence without "helpers". opened up a new corner of the field. Salty made a beeline for the new grass but Hera couldn't figure out how she'd got there :p

Sussed it in the end. She trotted round a bit pinging along hardly touching the ground, wish I'd got that on camera now!

116878144_3491170714227747_8367892204426743354_o.jpg

Frustrated this weekend now because I'm waiting to move yards and my notice period is dragging on horribly! will just try and be productive scrubbing and washing stuff, always a good chance to have a spring clean :)

palo1

Visit site
Kicked off the weekend with a bit of electric fencing (everyone's favourite job)
I had left Salty and Hera out last night as they spent most of the day in the stable escaping the heat, so I shut them in so I could move the fence without "helpers". opened up a new corner of the field. Salty made a beeline for the new grass but Hera couldn't figure out how she'd got there :p

Sussed it in the end. She trotted round a bit pinging along hardly touching the ground, wish I'd got that on camera now!

116878144_3491170714227747_8367892204426743354_o.jpg

Frustrated this weekend now because I'm waiting to move yards and my notice period is dragging on horribly! will just try and be productive scrubbing and washing stuff, always a good chance to have a spring clean :)

Beautiful! Hera already has real presence :) :) Envious of all that lovely grass too - our ground is so dry that we are very limited which is quite unusual. Praying for rain here...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Beautiful! Hera already has real presence :):) Envious of all that lovely grass too - our ground is so dry that we are very limited which is quite unusual. Praying for rain here...
that half of the field was cut for hay about a month ago and has greened up really well since then. i think they'll have to be shut in at night again for a bit until it's nibbled down ;) I was looking forward to having them out all the time but on reflection I think it'll turn salty's milk into rocket fuel again :oops:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Reporting back in after having the most productive training session yet! 4 x 75cm fences, 1 set on each longside off the track nr B and E, the other 2 across diagonal in opposing directions, all having 2 x canter poles in front.
Whoo! Did a fair bit of flat work then canter over one, once B had done that she realised that a steady canter was required and not warp speed canter.
Such a bloody difference in her by doing them as a course, repeating several and just maintaining a lovely balanced canter, v v pleased with her indeed as she figured it out and really listened :)

SEL

Visit site
Both mares had physio yesterday. I thought it would go ok in the shade of our indoor barn but there was no breeze and the poor physio was melting by the end. Car read 34 degrees at 2pm ?

So day off for both today and gentle hack for the one with working legs tomorrow - it was her first physio session and she's looking a bit zonked today. I've offered to take the new livery out to show her the route around the hay fields - apparently her cob robustly dumped its last rider so I've asked our YO to keep her phone by her in case we need rescuing!

Roxylola

Visit site
Ooh sounds like do mostly good days so far. TFF that sounds great, I like simple exercises that give a nice smooth jump - enough to make her think but not over face her.
We had a jump lesson this morning - nice 4 fence grid and a long 4 strides which he consistently jumped in 4 - as opposed to his preferred 7.5 strides. Really starting to enjoy the jumping now although youd never know from my face ?received_299660334454341.jpeg

Chippers1

Visit site
I did some jumping this morning too, just at home but popped an 80 and a 75 oxer a few times which was good for me!
Got some "constructive criticism" that I stick my bum out when I jump!! How rude ?
Also tried another saddle that YO/saddle fitter wanted me to try before making a final decision and I preferred that one (which was actually my first choice, she just didn't have one at the time for me to try!) So she's putting the order in for me now, can't wait!

Wheels

Visit site
Exciting chippers, what did you go for

I need a new dressage saddle, I got a new one in january but I wasnt getting on with it so I moved it on and now I need something different.

Chippers1

Visit site
Getting an Ideal international event :)
I tried one of the Ideal dressage saddles too (just because YO's daughter had hers out and she's a similar size to me) and it suited Buzz so well that she was trying to convince me to get a dressage and a jump ? I couldn't justify the cost! It was a very nice saddle though.

Roxylola

Visit site
Getting an Ideal international event :)
I tried one of the Ideal dressage saddles too (just because YO's daughter had hers out and she's a similar size to me) and it suited Buzz so well that she was trying to convince me to get a dressage and a jump ? I couldn't justify the cost! It was a very nice saddle though.
Theres a lot to be said for one of each I must admit. Dressage in a jump saddle is like doing ballet in a pair of trainers, possible but not ideal. However the main thing is to have one that fits you both as a priority. You can always look out for one second hand

Chippers1

Visit site
The Event is marketed as a sort of GP so not too far forward for a jump saddle so should be ok for dressaging in too. I don't want both as I'm really not a fan of dressage so wouldn't ever be doing it when it's not a ODE, and I'd only ever be at low levels of that anyway so it's not really worth getting two saddles!

Sheep

Visit site
First affiliated event done... sort of!!!

Our day started off a bit mad. Went to yard. Groomed. Plaited. Picked out feet....back shoe hanging on by a thread. Well, not quite, but decidedly loose. Great! Rang farrier, no answer. Rang show secretary who confirmed there’d be someone on site who could sort it, so packed everything and off we went.

Arrived and got our bearings, then went in search of this mystery man who could sort our shoe problem. He was away home apparently, since he only lives round the corner, but he’d be back “soon”. Clock ticking for dressage time so decided to go and tack up, then cautiously warm up - keeping a very careful eye on the shoe. Luckily we found the person we needed in the warm up, and he promised to sort as soon as he finished his test. Let the caller-up know we might be a few mins behind, which was no problem. Shoe was sorted and off OH went to tackle the dressage.

Dressage went fine, scored 40 which we were happy enough with. OH hasn’t ridden a dressage test in about 10 years so we were just glad to get through having remembered the test!!

On to SJ, about 2hrs later. Horse was being a bit of a tit - uptight and a bit resistant, and didn’t jump terribly well in the warm up which was disappointing. Ended up with 8 faults SJ - second half of the round was much better than the first.

After SJ we took him back to walk off and have a nibble on some grass... about 10 mins later and he did the BIGGEST Niagara Falls wee and was much more jolly after. Suspect that defo played a part in the SJ issues!

Onto the fun bit...
So off they went on the xc, horse jumping beautifully and full of running up until fence 12, a trakehner - he just said no. OH said he got a bit close and horse stopped at the last minute and gave himself a bit of a fright. Despite his best efforts to persuade him to give it a go, it just wasn’t happening so unfortunately there ended his eventing debut, with just 4 (really nice) fences to go. OH a bit disappointed to not finish, especially as horse jumped so nicely up until then - both really enjoyed it. He thinks he maybe relaxed a bit too much and left it too late to tell horse “go!” on that one. Hey ho.

So, on paper, not great - but I am actually so pleased with how it all went. We had some lovely chats with a well known local pro who gave us some really good hints & tips, and after the trakehner issues, invited us up to school round his facilities. Think we will get a lesson organised with him to get some input from someone who knows more than we do!!

A very fun, educational day out and I have to say everybody we met was so friendly and helpful.

Lexi_

Visit site
Well day 1 of fence judging under the new rules went really well! Musketeer run Cholmondeley and they’re always highly efficient, so no surprise that we were given loads of pre-event info, a full event pack and a link to a 30 min YouTube video of the BE briefing. (On that note, it was a good video but quite obvious which participants were reading out their standard spiel and which ones had actually tailored it to match some of the new arrangements!). Arrival was straight by car to a pickup point where we were given all our kit, including PPE, and then it was straight to the fence. There was a short additional briefing over the radio by Control to run through site specific stuff not mentioned in the generic video briefing, and the Covid-specific arrangements. After that, very much business as usual!

We had sight of the XC warm up area from where we were and that looked very smooth. None of those awful pauses where the collecting ring is empty, followed by a frantic hour of running everyone at 90 second intervals to catch up! The timings changes seem to be a very positive move.

The main changes are:

- no marquee briefing for volunteers - fine by me, I know why they have to do them but one a year is enough if you volunteer frequently tbh!
- no lunches or bun run - again, fine by me, we have multiple food allergies between us and can never eat any of it anyway
- don’t tear off your sheets, just hand the books back at the end of the day - grand! The score collectors are usually lovely blokes but choking on the bike fumes is never the high point of the day for me.
- strongly suggested not to go near riders if they fall off, but can leg up, catch horses etc if you put PPE on and are happy to do so (didn’t arise for us as just a few refusals at our fence).

Highlight of the day: rider calling his horse an “absolute f***wit” and then apologising profusely to us ?

It is extremely good to be back! I’ve missed it a lot. Have a picture of a Barbie pony to celebrate:

2FD21A01-2D8D-4611-8971-92903E742BC1.jpeg

Lexi_

Visit site
Also I probably shouldn’t criticise because I wouldn’t ever even start a BE event, but also y’know, you watch 250 horses a day around a XC course for multiple days a year and you’re probably allowed some opinion on this...

The BE90 classes ran with horses every 2 mins from 9.30am to 3.45pm. That’s a *lot* of horses. Honestly, no more than 5 of them in that whole time approached our fence in a good rhythmical pace and jumped it fluently. So much interference in the pace, terrible approach lines, burying the horse at the base of the fence, riding for strides that were never there... I was quite surprised!

Move to the BE100 class (identical fence, same distance and route from the previous one, just bigger) and virtually everyone had a brilliant rhythm and approach. I’ve never noticed such a marked difference between the levels before.