OMG it's august weekend plans!

Northern

Visit site
Had quite a busy weekend this time ?
Started off with a ride with an old friend. Her mare is closely related to my beloved deceased girl (her sire is a half brother), and I finally rode her! She was sparky to start with but soon settled, chestnut mare just the way I like it! Went on a nice long trail on a lovely, sunny winters day (mind your necks, can’t get it straight ?).

64A46AA5-E516-480F-BD9E-2435C58D1A3D.jpeg

Today I went and jumped L for the first time in ages, she was a great girl ? saddle check scheduled for her on Tuesday, I’m really pleased with how much topline she’s put on in the last few months. Finished off with a nice wander around with a friend.

934F90E7-E22D-4A49-B6C9-95B86B6E713C.jpeg

I also finally had the float out to try baby Bella on it. She walked straight on! What a clever girl ? turns out floats are full of hay and licorice, who would have guessed ?

36CE7E14-DE74-4CDD-9C19-971125F11071.jpeg

Toying with entering a dressage outing in a few weeks, but it coincides with my night shift ? plus the big C Virus is well into it’s second wave here, I wouldn’t be surprised if everything is cancelled again soon. Guess we’ll find out!

Hope everyone had a great weekend ?

Last edited:

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Two days of eventing this weekend for us. BE90 yesterday for Reilee finishing on our dressage score so very pleased with her - she felt great and cruised around the SJ and XC. Dressage she went as well as she is at home, just needs more strength to improve the balance and consistently - it's coming. Was very pleased with her obedience and how hard she tried.

Brilliant organisation at Cholmondeley Castle and much prefer the new way of running to times with limited numbers in collecting rings (particularly SJ as can be frenetic sometimes). She should be ok to step back to BE100 next time.

Some pics:
Reilee dressage pic.JPGReilee SJ pic.JPGReilee XC pic.JPG

Phoenix tomorrow in the Novice, see if she can keep up with Reilee(!)

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Yesterday was a fab day.... we took J to a XC place for his birthday. You hire the whole place for 2 hours and its mostly a wooded hack with optional jumps. He was a star to load and travel (even stood at his field gate wanting to come back in when I turned him out for an hour before we left!).

Took my OH on his bike which was nice. We had some lovely trots and canters. The last one in particular was lovely and forward and he let me ask for more and bring him back.

I didnt jump anything but trotted over some logs. Will definitely go back when my confidence is better.

But honestly he was such a star and so easy to take out.

Happy 6th Birthday J

IMG-20200801-WA0002.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
loving the pics and reports :D
Very boring but productive weekend here by comparison. However, Hera wormed and first feet trim done (got my gold star from OH for doing good foot picking up practice) , lorry washed, turnouts scrubbed... out for dinner tonight and lesson on Wednesday so it's not all bad ;)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Rooni went off for N37a and E43 today.

Foot perfect warm up.

The novice he went green on me. Bucked a LOT when I asked for canter one way lol and jogged twice in the walk. A fair 67%. 2nd to phoebe peters!

The elementary he was far more chilled and with me. Couple of tiny wobbles but nothing to worry about. 1st overall with 72%.

DA491796-4BE3-49F7-99E3-D7D908905D89.jpeg
C3BE8C1E-50CE-4424-9ADD-BA9424C3B521.jpeg

Very chuffed with him!

little_critter

Visit site
I had a little jumping session at home. We are both a bit lacking in confidence so we’ve been starting tiny and working our way up to small!
Recently I’ve switched to jumping in a kimblewick which is working well, I feel more confident, which means I ride him forward and keep my leg gently on, which in turn gives him confidence.
So today we managed 2’3” with no stress or silliness. I’m certain he will be able to jump much higher but the focus at the moment is confidence (for both of us) and manners and rideability for him. I cut the session short because he had done everything I wanted and I wanted to end on a positive.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My pole work clinic was cancelled on Saturday, mix up with the booking. Went hacking instead, but we were plagued with nasty flies, I have 3 angry bites on my right knee and she was plagued on her tummy, the rest was covered in fly sheet!

The dressage lesson/test riding today was good though, first time working in a strange outdoor all year, and now we are ready for our first comp of the year, N27.

Well done to everyone else competing, and it is lovely to see everyone having a good time.

Roxylola

Visit site
Dressage went smoothly, running on time, no breaks in the canter, no changes. Slight bubble up in to canter for our medium trot but that's my fault in so far as I'm trying to ride bigger mediums to hopefully get a higher mark but that's the risk when it's not super established. Overall happy with him and just waiting on scores now received_434804014144827.jpeg

Wheels

Visit site
Love that action shot roxy!!

We've managed 2 hacks, 1 lead out in hand and one in hand polework. M moving pretty well today so hopefully we are coming out the other side now

Lexi_

Visit site
Long second day at Cholmondeley today due to a hold of over an hour at one point (think the doctor was tied up with a SJ casualty so they couldn’t run the XC until she was free?).

Lively day though - we were on the coffin in the afternoon and had one faller, many many refusals, one horse that completely demolished the A element, a veritable collection of lost shoes, boots etc. Also one kid in the Pony Novice section that had a stop and let out the loudest “good Lord NOOOOOO, this is the most terrible thing to happen!” which gave us the giggles so much we forgot the fence number.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had such a good weekend eventing, it was so nice to be back out there. aught up with so many friends and met some new people too.

Henry was a star all weekend, he put in one of our best feeling tests yet, just need to work on our accuracy and maintain the forward better but he was so rideable and willing.

Cross country was incredible, he was laser focused on his job, easy to ride and the course felt so so easy for us. I got half way round and was wondering when we could go up a grade which I dont think I have ever thought, especially when this was only event 5 for us.

Show jumping he got a bit green on me, there were quite a few people watching and I didn't support him enough. He had the last fence down, I just needed to be clearer in my riding, but he was so willing.

Finished mid field and what we need to work on are things we have been trying to improve at home anyway so it's perfect really. Such a confident outing for his first 80 and once we get a bit more confident sj I think we will move up fairly quickly because the training is all there now.

I am very proud of him, he tries so hard and really seems to enjoy it!

Pippity

Visit site
I've just had a marvellously unexpected call from the garage that a) my horsebox is fixed three days earlier than expected, and b) it didn't need a new gearbox!

It almost makes up for the dismal hack yesterday - big spook by her standards (understandable - some twonk whizzing down the TPT crouched on an electric scooter), a buck when I wouldn't let her canter, and then a complete refusal to settle. When I took her saddle off at the end of it, I realised that she's already muscled up enough that her lovely new saddle's a bit tight. (Two months! Two bloody months! And that's with fitting it a bit wide in the first place.)

Saddle fitter is confident the saddle can be adjusted, though, so just waiting for her to come out. In the meantime, thinnest possible saddlecloth when hacking, and any schooling is back in the bareback pad.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Well we went jumping yesterday. A little disappointed as we had one down in the first class, and two down in the second. She has been jumping so well at home, over bigger fences....but she felt quite flat and I really had to ride her, she even dropped down to trot a couple of times. I'm hoping it's due to the fact that she got through the electric fencing again and no doubt gorged herself on the lush grass.
On the plus side I am loving the covid guidelines they've put in place - pre entries only with times given out in advance, restrictions on numbers in the warm up so two rings running (one flat and one jumping). It was so relaxed. Hopefully they keep running it like this.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Long second day at Cholmondeley today due to a hold of over an hour at one point (think the doctor was tied up with a SJ casualty so they couldn’t run the XC until she was free?).

Lively day though - we were on the coffin in the afternoon and had one faller, many many refusals, one horse that completely demolished the A element, a veritable collection of lost shoes, boots etc. Also one kid in the Pony Novice section that had a stop and let out the loudest “good Lord NOOOOOO, this is the most terrible thing to happen!” which gave us the giggles so much we forgot the fence number.

Just curious, would you know how many fallers there were at the water? Is there a way of finding out where the most issues on course were?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Kira did no work over the weekend as they were haymaking behind the hedge of doom and I just need to keep her in her happy place for a bit longer ;)

Dragged her out to recap the passagey steps and i think we're closer to cracking her objection to it (she just tried to make it all too complicated). Excited for lesson this week now.
It certainly sparks up the trot afterwards,no more tight shuffle, we have expression ?

Darcy had the dentist and was perfectly behaved ? surprised and impressed! (He was sedated last time)

20200803_170428_compress40.jpg

Lexi_

Visit site
Just curious, would you know how many fallers there were at the water? Is there a way of finding out where the most issues on course were?

The water didn’t cause as many problems as normal! I think one on each weekend day and they were both stumbles in the water rather than fence related?

I don’t think the results will say which fence the faults were at. Let me cast my mind back to what was coming up on the radio... Sat was 90 and 100 and fence 18 was weirdly problematic in the 90 considering it was the third last and looked innocuous! Other than that, just the usual number of refusals around course. Sun was 100, Int and Nov and I think the corner was causing a bit more bother in the 100. With the higher levels it was the skinny at 7 and the coffin.

It looked like a nice course to me tbh - lots of different terrain and none of the fences we saw looked overly huge.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
The water didn’t cause as many problems as normal! I think one on each weekend day and they were both stumbles in the water rather than fence related?

I don’t think the results will say which fence the faults were at. Let me cast my mind back to what was coming up on the radio... Sat was 90 and 100 and fence 18 was weirdly problematic in the 90 considering it was the third last and looked innocuous! Other than that, just the usual number of refusals around course. Sun was 100, Int and Nov and I think the corner was causing a bit more bother in the 100. With the higher levels it was the skinny at 7 and the coffin.

It looked like a nice course to me tbh - lots of different terrain and none of the fences we saw looked overly huge.

Thanks, yeah it looked quite kind overall!

I know of two falls (one a rotational) in the water, no fences involved. Just wondered if unlucky or if there was something about the water, as it looked fine on walking it ?.

I wonder if the venue/BE keep records of which fences cause the most issues?

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Thanks, yeah it looked quite kind overall!

I know of two falls (one a rotational) in the water, no fences involved. Just wondered if unlucky or if there was something about the water, as it looked fine on walking it ?.

I wonder if the venue/BE keep records of which fences cause the most issues?

Eventing Scores website provides events statistics including faults by XC fence for each class (scroll to bottom):
Eventing Scores Cholmondley Castle Event Stats

It is not unusual for there to be falls /stumbles in the Cholmondeley Castle water. Quite often there is a request for the bottom to be checked part way through the day. Course Designer's view on this was overheard by my OH a couple of years ago(!) Along the lines of: If they rode into it and through it in better balance - they wouldn't be falling off... &... riders always claim there is a hole in the water when they fall off(!)......

It is quite a steep slope into the water there and suspect some do not give it as much respect as they should & /or perhaps worried about the horse backing off the water and so adding pace which can unbalance. It is worse when there has been heavy rain as gets quite deep and slippery into there then (not the case this year).

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
I was at Cholmondley a few years ago and my parents were stood at the water jump getting increasingly concerned because everybody seemed to be stumbling, falling / generally making a bit of a hash of it. I think they filmed it to show me, and certainly made a point of taking me back there later on to watch. It was a very wet day that year and I suspect it was deeper than usual. I don't recall it being an issue we had, and I remember the collective sigh from my parents on the video when we made it through without a dunking.

To be honest I agree with SBM above and think it's in a bit of a darker hollow with a steeper slope in than many are used to and deepish water - and people probably ride it a bit quick? On the video my parents took those that had an issue seemed to hit the water and bottom of the slope a bit a quick and stumble.

I know they tried dying it a bright turquoise the following year to see if that helped - I don't think it did.

Roxylola

Visit site
I wonder if some of it is just the slowing effect of water on the legs, especially if the horse is being allowed to bowl along a bit fast and on the forehand. We went splat showjumping on a surface where it was a bit wetter than the rest the other week. Bit of pilot error and bit of greenness on his part tbh and just sort missed landing and went down on his knees I can easily see how that could be much worse I was luckily behind the movement for the jump so was quite well positioned to recover. If I'd been forward we'd have parted company

Lexi_

Visit site
It seemed to ride a lot more smoothly than it has in previous years. Didn’t hear any requests over the radio for course repair to go and investigate the footing.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Interesting stuff! The combo who had a rotational will have ridden in well (not fast or without due respect), she is convinced there is a hole from the injuries to the horse...

Also a bit concerning they didn't request any investigation for footing afterwards (it happened on the Sunday, so I think you were fence judging that day Lexi_), as it does seem to be a 'known' issue. If the water is known to be tricky, surely something should be done? Rotational falls aren't to be trifled and if it was a solid fence changes would be made...

Well if I ever compete there at least I'll know to be super careful in the water!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Phoenix enjoyed her day out yesterday at Cholmondeley Castle, finally getting her first eventing fix of 2020. Being parked right next to the XC course certainly woke her up (even more) on arrival!

She managed to keep a lid on her enthusiasm in the dressage, hopefully will be able to ask for a bit more next time and will cut out the minor mistakes. Was pleased with the underlying work.

SJ she was a little wild, 2 unnecessary rails. V pleased with the way she was jumping, again rideability should improve next time out. We'll try to get out for some SJ before next event.

XC, she was her awesome self, v easy clear round just a few seconds over the time. Finished with plenty of fuel in the tank. V rideable, we both loved it(!) :) Some pics:
Phoenix Dressage pic.jpg
Phoenix Dressage SJ pic.jpg
Phoenix Dressage XC pic 2.jpg

Seemed to be alot more people there yesterday compared to Saturday and social distancing was erratic at best. Organisers were doing their best. But it was sunny and outside so I think it may have encouraged complacency. We'll see how it goes next time we go out.

There were some of the very best horses there in the Intermediate - quite incredible to watch a few SJ & XC in the flesh.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Interesting stuff! The combo who had a rotational will have ridden in well (not fast or without due respect), she is convinced there is a hole from the injuries to the horse...

Also a bit concerning they didn't request any investigation for footing afterwards (it happened on the Sunday, so I think you were fence judging that day Lexi_), as it does seem to be a 'known' issue. If the water is known to be tricky, surely something should be done? Rotational falls aren't to be trifled and if it was a solid fence changes would be made...

Well if I ever compete there at least I'll know to be super careful in the water!

Obviously, cannot and was not commenting on any specific incidents this year or previous years. I have not witnessed any first hand. I tend to be busy competing so don't have much time to spectate (unless happens to be when walking courses).

I have ridden through it multiple times without incident from 90 to Novice but always rebalance before the downhill section - which means a careful (power, not pace) jump at the top (if there is one, which there usually is in the Novice). Usually the Novice has a jump in the water as well (not this year), did it last year no problem. Have not had any stumbles or trips. This year, Reilee (in 90, her first time there) when I rebalanced her, chose to trot down and pick up canter again in the water, which was fine and the jump after was good too.

Tend to get more falls in water when jumping in as potential for rapid deceleration causing unbalancing is greater. Hence why need power but not pace for jumping into water. The steep downhill can cause involuntary acceleration unless compensate for it, leading to a similar deceleration and unbalancing effect when entering the water. My horses do their interval training up and down hills here on our mountains which I am sure greatly aids their balance when out eventing.

I trust the quality of course design and maintenance at Cholmondeley Castle a great deal based on my own experiences. I can completely understand if other people feel differently based on their own. I hope the horse recovers well.

PSD

Visit site
We’re off to a show this weekend with the baby fell for a few miles on the clock and something to do. I’m not expecting any placing, it’s been a long time since I was in the ring!

I’ll be happy with a well behaved baby, lots of new things for her that day...first show and first time in a 3.5 tonne, so I’ll be happy if she just enjoys it (and I do!)32200A83-CDB1-43A3-B098-DA01D294756C.jpeg