One Breed You Love But Have Never Ridden

Shady

Visit site
I rode a Friesian for the first time a couple of years ago. Expected the trot to be uncomfortable but it was fine, ditto canter. The woman I rode with has a lot of experience with the breed and said they vary, some are uncomfortable, some not.

I'd love to ride an arab.

You can come and ride my Arab any time you want Teacups :) you can ride the big Spanish lump too if you want :D!
I'd like to ride a Rocky Mountain Horse, they look divine and apparently their gaits are lovely
Then maybe an Arabo

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh so many!!

I'd love to ride a proper standardbred. Ned has great bloodlines, but he's a little confused with pacing and trotting. A proper pacer would be interesting to try!
I got to cross Spanish off my list, I rode two lovely ones at my old yard.
Icelandic would be fun, well jel that my Dad has ridden one!!
I've ridden a Clydesdale at the same place, she was great fun and a shire when I was about 8.
Though I'd love to ride a really thick set heavy!
A proper Arab too!! I've ridden many part Arabs, but never a full.

if you ever fancy riding an Arab I have got 2 here doing nothing at the moment as I have broken my ankle your not a million miles away:)

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve never ridden a PRE or Luso and I have the feeling that I’d love the breed.
One day I shall get to have a play on one

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I've ridden a few different breeds other than the usual Thb and warmblood/sporthorse breeds.

Friesian
Appaloosa
American Saddler
Fjord
Icelandic
Andalusian
Lusitano
Boerperd
Clydesdale
Percheron
Lippizaner
Hackney
Quarter horse
Paint (APHA)
Kaimanawa
Australian Stock Horse
And many, many Arabs

But I have never ridden an Akhal Teke, a Barb, or a Shagya. Any of the three would be a dream come true. Otherwise I would love to ride in Mongolia on the back of a proper Mongol horse.

An Akhal-Teke, that would be fun. And a real Barb horse, although I have ridden some "probably" Barb horses in Morocco that were lovely. I've ridden a LOT of different breeds/types all over the world and know which my all time favourites are by now. I also know those I wouldn't want to sit on, and definitely those I'll be glad to never sit on again :)

Very envious- I've spent so much time in Africa and never been to Morocco, let alone ridden a proper North African horse.

splash30

Visit site
I've always admired and would love an Arab. I just think they are stunning, intelligent and the epitome of a horse.
So I own cob ;)

NZJenny

Visit site
I have been very fortunate to ride a number of fabulous Arabians, as well as TBs and Standardbreds which are common here. I would love to ride an Andalusian or a Lusitano - preferably one that has been WE trained to advanced level. And any one of the Warmbloods, trained to GP - just to feel that movement.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I was lucky enough to ride an Icelandic some years ago. The tolt is awesome. I would exchange the trot for that in a heart beat!!

As for what I would like to ride, I think I'm an oddball. I would love to ride a proper trotter. One that can trot super speed like the speed of a normal horses gallop. What fun that would be to try and post to lol

I have ridden a trotter & a pacer (both Standies) in fast gait, but not gallop speed. It's bizarre.

shirl62

Visit site
Oh. My. GOD !
If this beautiful beastie disappears suddenly one night, you'll know where to look :p Now here is a horse who I wouldn't look too tall on for once! (I have long enough legs to make a 16hh ex racer look "small".)
Ardennes by any chance?

Jeez...what a beast..I would look like a pea sitting on a mountain..lol

Shirl

AlohaCob

Visit site
I have ridden TBs and TB crosses, Quarterhorses, Arabians, various sorts of warmbloods and Paints mostly, although now I own a Gypsy Vanner so will have many rides on the one representation of that breed, but also have ridden a Percheron, a Lusitano, aClydesdale cross (owned by my friend) and a Fresian. The Fresian was lovely and a real sweetheart, but has the bumpiest trot ever. You don't worry about getting bucked off, but bounced off. Did not help that I was out of shape...my poor abs! lol One breed I love the look of but will probably never get a chance to ride is a Knabstrupper. I love the spots!

Pippity

Visit site
I've ridden a heavy (A Shire called Miracle who stood at 18hh!) when I went on holiday with Cumbrian Heavy Horses last year. An absolutely incredible experience. The horses are so responsive and surprisingly agile. I fell in love with her and wish I could have taken her home!!

Miracle was on my ride! I rode the appropriately-named Big Mac, and was SO TEMPTED to take him on loan over winter. Sadly, he wouldn't fit into any of the stables at my yard.

LadySam

Visit site
The Fresian was lovely and a real sweetheart, but has the bumpiest trot ever. You don't worry about getting bucked off, but bounced off.

This is what I hear. I've always loved the look of Fresians. The only one I've ever spent any time with was bat***** crazy, though I suspect that was more to do with him being a young, poorly handled stallion more than anything else. He was absolutely gorgeous to look at though.

There are particular horses I would like to ride. My former boss' Andalusian and the PSG trained Lusitano he brought over from Portugal. Other than that I'm a sucker for the heavies. Any draft horse breed you care to mention, I want to ride it. And a lovely big GP trained Warmblood or something, just to be able to experience the responsiveness and perform the movements on a horse that really understands them.

sasquatch

Visit site
always wanted to ride an Andalusian, been in love with them for years. They're such stunning horses.

not sure I'm as keen on gaited horses as others, given that B is part trotter so I do get that odd fast trot at times as well as an odd canter shuffle :D

Fjords and Haflingers I do want to try though - large opinionated ponies seem to be my type lol

abbijay

Visit site
Haflinger, loved the colour since I was a child.

Racing Clydesdale comes second.
YCBM, I think you're rather local to me. I've got an ex-racing Clydesdale you're welcome to try? He's lost a bit of his sustained power over the years but blimey he'll still leap out from underneath you if you put him up the side of something else.

As a heavy horse fan I'd like to complete the set and have a go of a Suffolk and a Percheron so I could compare them. I'm a bit biased and tend to class everything else as "skinny" and "samey so don't know I could pick a particular one beyond that - I'm well aware that I am totally biased!

DappleDown

Visit site
Firstly, if my Friesian could read this I'm sure she would be honoured that so many wanted to ride her breed. :)

As for her gaits, I just love sitting to her trot. I don't find it difficult or bumpy at all. I can certainly feel the difference between her 'extended' trot, and say, one from a TB, but it is correct for her breed.

Never given any thought to breeds I'd like to ride, there are certainly some interesting ones on this thread.

FDLady

Visit site
I've been so lucky to ride so many different breeds but i think my heart would be set on riding a Belgian. I love the heavy breeds and am making it a life goal to ride as many as i can!

HashRouge

Visit site
I'd like to ride a Lusitano. I've ridden a part-bred (lived in Portugal for six months and used to have lessons on him) but would love to ride a purebred.

Best horse I've ever ridden is still my old Arab mare. Fleet, agile, feisty...I'm so sad she's retired :(

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I'd like to ride a Lusitano. I've ridden a part-bred (lived in Portugal for six months and used to have lessons on him) but would love to ride a purebred.

Best horse I've ever ridden is still my old Arab mare. Fleet, agile, feisty...I'm so sad she's retired :(

Lusitanos are probably our favourite breed here in the office (we sell riding trips for a living and have ridden breeds all over the world) - they are just fantastic and so versatile!

teacups

Visit site
You can come and ride my Arab any time you want Teacups :) you can ride the big Spanish lump too if you want :D!
I'd like to ride a Rocky Mountain Horse, they look divine and apparently their gaits are lovely
Then maybe an Arabo

Oooh, thank you! A big Spanish lump would actually be second on my list.
You are lucky that you live in another country and therefore a safe distance away <g>

Lintel

Visit site
Going to have to go with the majority here and say Fresian. That or a beautifully schooled Spanish breed.

But for now I shall stick with wee dumpy highland. :)

paddy555

Visit site
I'd love a go on a paso.

it's interesting that several people have said a paso. I had peruvian pasos for years and there was absolutely zilch interest in them. In all the years no one ever commented on them even to say how odd they were and certainly no one ever wanted a go. They didn't notice they were gaited horses and when riding my ex stud stallion who was magnificent with tons of brio permanently looked as if he was going into battle as his ancestors had no one seemed to notice him.

Visit site
OH! One I forgot - not really a breed but meh - but a properly schooled western horse would be awesome, just to feel/experience for myself how difference it is to english riding.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
it's interesting that several people have said a paso. I had peruvian pasos for years and there was absolutely zilch interest in them. In all the years no one ever commented on them even to say how odd they were and certainly no one ever wanted a go. They didn't notice they were gaited horses and when riding my ex stud stallion who was magnificent with tons of brio permanently looked as if he was going into battle as his ancestors had no one seemed to notice him.

As with any of the unusual, non-English breeds you will be fighting an uphill battle. I have Spanish and Friesian horses (we use them for film work and historical displays) and all anyone wants to know is "can they jump?". The answer is "I have no idea - that's not what they're for". Pasos (finos & Peruvians) are great horses, I wish I had one.

paddy555

Visit site
As with any of the unusual, non-English breeds you will be fighting an uphill battle. I have Spanish and Friesian horses (we use them for film work and historical displays) and all anyone wants to know is "can they jump?". The answer is "I have no idea - that's not what they're for". Pasos (finos & Peruvians) are great horses, I wish I had one.

LOL. You are quite right. Actually the only question I did get asked was can they jump.

Now I have a young criollo. I don't even bother to say what he is but I'm sure he will be able to jump!