Opinions on Thoroughbreds?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Jeff just doesn't grow much of a coat so I double rug him for my own piece of mind! Gray is American and grows a coat like a yak! He did winter out in Kentucky before he came to Britain so he probably finds it quite warm here regardless ??

Frankie had only just come over from France when I got him, it was Sept and he had very little coat that first year but at the end he was retired and unclipped and also a Yak. He had a no fill TO in the field and I left a cotton summer sheet in my stable because my ym thought I was being cruel leaving him naked in a stable at night.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A lot of TB's are actually quite wide because they have very big shoulders! Most I have ridden also have long necks.

They fit wide saddles, as mine does, but they are narrower through your knees and hips.

Carrottom

Visit site
We had a late developing 4 year old back from the trainer in late October because he had thrown a splint. He had just been fully clipped (except legs) After 2 weeks in for it to settle he was turned away in a heavy weight rug for the rest of winter with hay twice a day but no feed and was fine to start training again in late spring. It really depends on the horse.

Northern

Visit site
I've only ever known and ridden one TB I would say was completely nuts and like a ticking timebomb, but he has several undiagnosed issues at play which isn't necessarily breed specific.

I've had two TB mares and love love love them. Both have had cracker temperaments, my first really hot but always safe and a gun XC horse. The second is the nicest person ever and loves her cuddles, has always been more sedate than the first but can fire up when required. I would love another but have sadly decided to look elsewhere for my next horse. Both my mares have had so many veterinary problems, I sadly had to have the first PTS due to (cumulative) these. They're also really good at getting caught in fences o_Oo_O

Both these TBs have been easy to feed and keep and always out 24/7 with appropriate rugging and nutrition.

I could probably be swayed if I found a really nice, unraced one but for now I admire my somewhat paddock TB and go ride my pony!

Skib

sites.google.com
May be TBs are more widely used in RSs but students dont know they are riding TBs? I learned to hack on what I was later informed was a TB mare. The plan years later was that we should be partners in our old age but she had filled out and become too wide - my legs were jammed against her side.

Much later at another RS I was allowed to ride a beautiful TB mare but this physically perfect animal turned out to be a fire bomb. I dismounted before the end of the lesson and the folowing weekend she threw a student and that was the end of her life as a lesson horse. None the less, I am pleased to have ridden her. I was scared to canter in a small indoor school. She on the other hand liked cantering and her pleasure conveyed itself to me, so that I suddenly liked it too, Just very relaxed, she was. Give credit where credit is due. I wouldnt buy one tho. My heart belongs to a Connie.

SamBean

Visit site
I agree to an extent With @ycbm comment about people who love have often only known 1, much as I am looking forward to my lad's progression. Fortunately I've known a lot over the years but this includes my friend's mare years ago. In hindsight these days she possibly had ulcers from her behaviour, she was a proper stress head and don't even think about going near her if she was in season. She sold her after a few months as she was loosing confidence despite being experienced and more than capable. These days I'm sure a lot more would be done to work out what was going on with her. As for my friend, until I had mine, she could only refer to them as 'that breed' it was so bad an experience for her. She has a real soft spot for mine and would now not rule another out in the future.

Annagain

Visit site
A lot of TB's are actually quite wide because they have very big shoulders! Most I have ridden also have long necks.
It's not the width, it's how close their wither is to the front of their bodies. All the TBs I've ridden feel (to me at least) like their saddles are right at the bottom of their neck and if their necks disappear - when they put their heads down - there's nothing to stop me. With my old Sec D and now my two big boys (1x ID and 1x shire x sec d x tb) I feel like I'm further back on them so if their necks disappear I still have a good bit of body in front of to keep me in place. I appreciate it's a very personal thing. I was just pointing out that some people's dislike of them has nothing to do with temperament, vets bills, feeding or reputation but a physical shape thing that is nearly always going to be the case because while they're all different in terms of temperament, the one thing they obviously share is a similar physical make-up.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I would never buy a TB, too fine, break, just don't like the look particularly, either bonkers or ridiculously slow, high maintenance (Have ridden several over the years). I bought an ISH instead. Guess which personality type he has?! Does he take after his ID side? Not even slightly (it just gave him good feet and more chunk). Didn't get clipped this year as doesn't grow much coat and REALLY hates the cold, complete wuss and as my trainer says "he's a blood horse" i.e. looses all reason and brain goes AWOL at times. Luckily I love him and he keeps me on my toes which I can handle (and I'm at an excellent yard with pro help!) I was aiming for something slightly less manic in my older age but never mind, you live and learn.

oldie48

Visit site
A trainer who had spent many years on a breaking and dealer yard said to me that you knew what mood a TB was in as soon as you put your foot in the stirrup whereas with a WB you never really knew until something happened! Another generalisation but I have found some truth in it.

AandK

Visit site
I love them, they are my favourite breed and I have two, one 7yo ex flat racer and one 23yo of unknown breeding (he is more like a NH type, taller and chunkier with a good wither and shoulder). I love their brain, both mine love to work, are quick to learn and a joy to work with. Both are good to handle and ride, but they can be sharp (23yo fave pastime is spooking!). 7yo is much braver and bolder than the 23yo and he also has fabulous feet - which is a relief as the 23yo has rubbish feet! Yes they are higher maintenance in terms of feed etc, but I don't know if I would ever have any other breed to be honest.

Evie91

Visit site
Is there a breed as versatile? Not sure there is; racing,eventing, hunting, team chasing, pleasure rides- even come across a couple in riding schools.Look across the disciplines and you can always find tb’s. Same just can’t be said for other breeds.
You can’t beat a good tb; they may need a bit more mollying (not always) but I often find that’s half the fun!
Get a good one and you won’t find a more loyal companion, with enough fizz/quirks to keep life from being boring!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's not the width, it's how close their wither is to the front of their bodies. All the TBs I've ridden feel (to me at least) like their saddles are right at the bottom of their neck and if their necks disappear - when they put their heads down - there's nothing to stop me. With my old Sec D and now my two big boys (1x ID and 1x shire x sec d x tb) I feel like I'm further back on them so if their necks disappear I still have a good bit of body in front of to keep me in place. I appreciate it's a very personal thing. I was just pointing out that some people's dislike of them has nothing to do with temperament, vets bills, feeding or reputation but a physical shape thing that is nearly always going to be the case because while they're all different in terms of temperament, the one thing they obviously share is a similar physical make-up.
I think like the welsh D there are so many body shapes in TBs - tall rangy ones, short stumpy ones, uphill, downhill and everything in between.
My TB is built fairly uphill with loads out in front, he feels ginormous compared to my sec D though she is built like a tank. (I used to stable next door to one of the weedy framed welsh cobs who couldn't have been more different to mine though had a load of similar bloodlines ;))

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had a lovely TB on loan when I was 17 he was a lump of a horse and raced up until he was 12, he had just retired when I took him on he was quite hot but safe he never worried me and he would hack on his own quite happily.

tristar

Visit site
Is there a breed as versatile? Not sure there is; racing,eventing, hunting, team chasing, pleasure rides- even come across a couple in riding schools.Look across the disciplines and you can always find tb’s. Same just can’t be said for other breeds.
You can’t beat a good tb; they may need a bit more mollying (not always) but I often find that’s half the fun!
Get a good one and you won’t find a more loyal companion, with enough fizz/quirks to keep life from being boring!

so true, i think they are best dressage horses too!

saddlesore

Visit site
I’ll never have another one. Gorgeous horses but the two I had were money pits where vet bills were concerned and spent a disproportionate amount of time lame ?

showjumpingharry

Visit site
I've had 2 in a row now (and 2 part bred ones). I love them, they are far more intelligent than most of the WBs I've ridden. Both of mine went into training but never raced. They have their quirks. My current one is a stressy ulcer type but I manage it and it doesn't cause a problem. He's far too smart for his own good sometimes and has a clever, pony like brain. He moves more like a small, neat WB if that makes sense. He needs feeding but not excessively and isn't really any more high maintenance than the others. His feet weren't amazing to start with but now they are fine but I am OCD about keeping them nice lol. I wouldn't hesitate to have another though especially to event

Nicnac

Visit site
Have had 4 - the first was a broken racehorse who was a companion from a rescue; nice boy but no history and wasn't ridden; the 2nd was a NZ TB who had point 2 pointed - again nice boy but hocks were buggered for anything but hacking; 3rd was a US flat racehorse - great breeding, a bit small, totally neurotic but easy to keep - was never shod behind and did a lovely dressage test; again racing as a 2yo gave him a shorter riding career and we lost him at 19yo as riddled with arthritis; current one is an Irish NH horse unraced - a real athlete, chunkier than the others, goes nicely on the flat, has a good jump, likes a buck and a rear when things get too much but much better than at 4yo. Each has their own character.

Personally I much prefer riding my ID as I like something a bit more solid who tells you what he's about to do before he's even thought about it whereas the TBs can have you pointing in the opposite direction in a nanosecond with no warning. I'm too old for that! However much prefer to handle the TBs as they are so darn polite and respectful.

All of them without exception have been absolutely lovely people on the ground. The sweetest boys you could ever wish for and good as gold if you put somebody less experienced up even children. They have all maxed out their vet bill insurance as seem to get weird injuries but are incredibly stoic about treatment and have high pain thresholds whereas ID thinks he's about to die if he has a small scratch and won't let you near it.

exracehorse

Visit site
I lost my ex racer 4 years ago. He was great at keeping weight on. By Saddlers Wells. However had crap feet. Went barefoot in the end. Suffered with ulcers. Hated turn out. Stayed in the whole of one bad winter. Very sensitive skin. Reacted badly to fly bites. Suffered with hives. Had dentist every 4 months as developed sharp teeth very quickly. Any small cut would become infected. I’d not have another. He was always at the vets with injuries or illness.

ozpoz

Visit site
I can't help wondering if thoroughbreds are seen as being prone to injury because they are much more likely to let you know when something is wrong? I love them. Intelligent, kind and affectionate, in my experience. I wouldn't say they are high maintenance however they are thin skinned and should be managed accordingly.

windand rain

Visit site
Mine were as tough as old boots. Lived out 24/7, new zealand rugs in winter, thatched if they got wet, fed Oats and bran with a bit of black treacle and boiled linseed and barley in snowy weather. Maybe they are not so tough bred now or perhaps pampered too much so dont do so well. Evented or x country every weekend for the season, show jumped all summer were lean and fit as we had no transport so hacked up to 15 miles to an event and back

Summit

Visit site
Mine’s really easy to do...hates being in, no problems with feet, diet etc. 21 this year and is as fit as a flea

Bernster

Visit site
Enjoyed reading this thread.

I’d agree with the views about them having a reputation/stereotype and it’s not a build that suits me. They are long legged, elegant, athletic. The opposite to me haha.

That said, my mare is mainly Tb - sadly had soundness issues but boy could she gallop. Beat anyone out on the hunt field, inc 2 racers who she tried to squeeze in between. Loved how quick and agile she was, but safe. I only fell off her once, when she put her foot down a massive hole.