Overpriced or is it me?

Sunshine302

Visit site
Attractive, well-bred IDX HANN green 5yo. Backed late 2018, was with a professional rider for around 6 weeks (straightforward) to sell. Was sold to someone (paid quite a lot IMO!) who had intentions of bringing it on & doing a bit of everything on it but lost their confidence riding a green, young horse and was consequently put out to grass summer 2019 and is now being sold out of the field (literally!)

Video of ridden work - looks green but straightforward enough.

Would you expect a hefty price tag for a horse straight from the field? (Owner won’t sit on as been out of work months).

meleeka

Visit site
Presumably sold from the field would make him unable to have a full vetting as the ridden stage won’t be able to be done? The breeding might be worth something, but it would drastically reduce value imo if it wouldn’t pass a vet.

be positive

Visit site
If they want to recoup some of the original price then they can ask as much as they want but be unlikely to get it, in situations like this the owner has to either cut their losses or invest and send it away to be sold, which if it is nice will probably be well worth doing, 6 weeks in a good yard will probably add at least £2k to the price it is currently worth.

katastrophykat

Visit site
IMO, owner has lost confidence as something has happened with said horse and you won’t truly know what or how until you start it back in work, if the owner isn’t forthcoming. I wouldn’t pay a lot if the owner isn’t fully disclosing the reasons. And as meleeka said, no 5 stage vet available either.

Sunshine302

Visit site
Owner would be better sending the horse back to the professional on sales livery. I would be wary of buying ahorse that can't be ridden prior to purchase, you only have the owner's word for why it is unridden. 'Sold from the field' should lower the price dramatically
I think this is the other option if it isn’t sold.

Sunshine302

Visit site
TBH I'd be very suspicious. If it's a nicely bred young horse without any issues it would have been better to put on sales livery but it may be that the owner just wants to cut her losses. It's not worth much though if no-one will sit on it.
What do you consider to be ‘much’ ? (Just out of interest!)

Goldenstar

Visit site
People sometimes just want to get it over with .
I would not risk the cost of sending a horse to sales livery because I have seen it go wrong sooooo many times for others I would bung it on the market and take the first suitable offer where the buyer was suitable .
If it’s a dressage prospect how much it’s worth will depend on how it moves and how easy it finds balancing its body naturally and how easy it is in its mind .
If I was interested I would do some research ask for its vet records talk to the pro wait until they became more compliant about taking a bid and see .
Young warmbloods are not for everybody it might just be a lovely young horse in the wrong hands or it might be hiding a shopping list of physical problems .
If you can’t ride it I would saddle it and get it lunged if it humps and bucks and wild I probably would leave it you might be leaving a lovely horse for no reason but you need to set some lines in the sand with a horse like this .
It will be possible to do a five stage vetting by lunging it for the wind test I have bought horses like that before .
The easiest home for them to sell it is too a pro to turn over at a drastically reduced price .

Velcrobum

Visit site
Attractive, well-bred IDX HANN green 5yo. Backed late 2018, was with a professional rider for around 6 weeks (straightforward) to sell. Was sold to someone (paid quite a lot IMO!) who had intentions of bringing it on & doing a bit of everything on it but lost their confidence riding a green, young horse and was consequently put out to grass summer 2019 and is now being sold out of the field (literally!)

Video of ridden work - looks green but straightforward enough.

Would you expect a hefty price tag for a horse straight from the field? (Owner won’t sit on as been out of work months).

What is the price tag on it??

meleeka

Visit site
It can still have a 5 stage vetting, no need to ride as long as it can be exercised to bring the heart rate up, lunging is often used in vettings not every horse can be ridden when sold.

If I remember correctly, the vet writes a summary saying whether he/she considers the horse suitable for the purpose its being bought for. Obviously if it can’t be shown ridden they can’t have an opinion on that.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
People sometimes just want to get it over with .
I would not risk the cost of sending a horse to sales livery because I have seen it go wrong sooooo many times for others I would bung it on the market and take the first suitable offer where the buyer was suitable .
If it’s a dressage prospect how much it’s worth will depend on how it moves and how easy it finds balancing its body naturally and how easy it is in its mind .
If I was interested I would do some research ask for its vet records talk to the pro wait until they became more compliant about taking a bid and see .
Young warmbloods are not for everybody it might just be a lovely young horse in the wrong hands or it might be hiding a shopping list of physical problems .
If you can’t ride it I would saddle it and get it lunged if it humps and bucks and wild I probably would leave it you might be leaving a lovely horse for no reason but you need to set some lines in the sand with a horse like this .
It will be possible to do a five stage vetting by lunging it for the wind test I have bought horses like that before .
The easiest home for them to sell it is too a pro to turn over at a drastically reduced price .
agree with all of this

There doesn't have to be anything sinister about the owner losing their confidence, lots of people think they can ride away a young horse and then find it isn't quite the experience they hoped for and things can spiral from there.

Sending away to sales livery is a risk and can mean the owner needs to stump up money they don't have to cover the costs.

That said sometimes people are in a dream world of what their horse is worth and forget that all the time they left it in the field, was devaluing the investment already made. I have one that was bought for pennies but the owner had advertised for £4k as that was the money sunk into it, before losing her nerve and parking the horse in a field.

be positive

Visit site
If I remember correctly, the vet writes a summary saying whether he/she considers the horse suitable for the purpose its being bought for. Obviously if it can’t be shown ridden they can’t have an opinion on that.

But the buyer should have already made the decision it will be suitable for the purpose, the vets job is to see if there are any physical reasons it is not, some vets do go into more detail but it is not part of the remit to decide if a horse shows potential to do the job or not only whether it is physically able and not showing any obvious issues in its temperament during the vetting, plenty of unbroken horses are fully vetted, I have also lunged many childrens ponies for 5 stage vettings.

I had one vet who got very cross when I told her the horse she was vetting as a PC schoolmaster did not do changes, she then asked it to be cantered on a tiny circle, spun onto the other rein and decided as it didn't change cleanly that it had issues, despite no clinical evidence he was failed as having arthritic hocks, xrays were done by us and nothing was found, he did not respond to flexion tests at the time of vetting and would have done the job perfectly well as it was actually a drop down from what he was doing.

Louby

Visit site
I think it depends how much she wants rid of the horse. A few years back I bought a big newly backed quality horse, I felt more than capable of bringing him on and cracked on. He slowly chipped away at my confidence and one day properly put my life at risk. At that point I realised he was just too much for me and it wasnt going to end well so got a well respected professional rider to work with him. Long story short, a local professional showjumper bought him, knowing his quirks for half what I paid for him. It was a blow but I was actually relieved when he went. It was a happy ending, was later sold to a hunting home as wasnt scopy enough for the SJ level that was needed but the SJ said he had been an absolute PITA and I hadnt stood a chance. He needed a professional rider, not me who thought she'd be fine lol.
I think its just how much someone is prepared to pay and how much she wants rid tbh.

Goldenstar

Visit site

yes they can, they just would put potential dressage horse .
Horses that are not ridden pass five stage vetting all the time .

rara007

Visit site
What’s your version of hefty and how ‘nice’ is nice. Plus mare or gelding? If they’re scared of it and just want rid to a nice home you might find they accept a wild offer.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’ll put in a price from a disassociated view - £1500. I’d expect the owner to then bid me up to £1800/2000. At the moment it’s a paddock ornament and it’s capabilities or problems cannot be proven or disproved.
What’s the advertised price OP?

oldie48

Visit site
The problem with posts like this is that really no-one has any idea of what the horse is like. I have a friend who is currently looking at unbroken /just backed 3/4 year olds in the region of £20K. If this is a horse bred to sell for lots of money, then £5.5K might be a bargain or not. Who knows? However, if it's been backed I'd still like to see it tacked up and ridden.

Melody Grey

Visit site
‘A horse that likes turnout’....I’m reading nightmare in the stable for some Reason?

alarm Bells For me here- it’s a no-brainer to get someone on it...why haven’t they?

be positive

Visit site
He's not what I expected from your original post. Yes, I think he is over-priced. As an unbacked or lightly backed 3 or 4yr old he might have been worth that, and he will probably be worth that again once someone has put some work into him

Not the type I expected to see either, I expected a horse of real quality, this is a hunter/ RC horse, if he is straightforward enough he will be worth the money once he is out proving himself but way over priced as he is.