Oy, you with the arthritic mare ......

flirtygerty

Visit site
Not your decision though and I think this in very poor taste.....just hope the person concerned doesn't see this.
So you would rather the poor mare suffered for another few years? Sometimes you have to stand up and be counted, last year I risked my tenancy telling my landlord his donkeys and pony needed their feet doing NOW, seeing them struggle on a daily basis, I couldn't ignore it any longer, luckily he was agreeable to my farrier doing them and taking the cost from the rent, too many people turn a blind eye to cruelty

flirtygerty

Visit site
I'm not condemning anyone for caring, I'm condemning her for posting about it in this way and pointing out that we all have different ideas about when to pts and it's for the owner to decide, no one else. If anyone is concerned about a possible welfare case then report it if you think it's called for, but being old and arthritic is not a welfare issue imo if the horse is being looked after properly.

If she's on three legs, she's NOT being looked after is she? I have an arthritic mare myself, with no lumps and bumps, I also am riddled with arthritis myself, with painful, swollen joints, I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy, never mind something I professed to love

AmandaMT

Visit site
So you would rather the poor mare suffered for another few years? Sometimes you have to stand up and be counted, last year I risked my tenancy telling my landlord his donkeys and pony needed their feet doing NOW, seeing them struggle on a daily basis, I couldn't ignore it any longer, luckily he was agreeable to my farrier doing them and taking the cost from the rent, too many people turn a blind eye to cruelty

Not sure that is how Bonny meant it. I read it that Bonny would have preferred OP not put it across so hard on a forum.

flirtygerty

Visit site
this thread is a little saddening-it shows how social media distances people from people in a way that makes bullying faceless and therefore acceptable by many who would not bully when face to face with someone.

just sad

How is this thread bullying? Cptrayes has a valid if belated point, the mare is obviously suffering, being outspoken myself, I would have reported it at least last year, but I'm not noted for my patience and by the way, Cptrayes has always been there for advice, sound advice on feet, she comes across as an experienced, caring owner and I for one am glad she's there to ask

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
How is this thread bullying? Cptrayes has a valid if belated point, the mare is obviously suffering, being outspoken myself, I would have reported it at least last year, but I'm not noted for my patience and by the way, Cptrayes has always been there for advice, sound advice on feet, she comes across as an experienced, caring owner and I for one am glad she's there to ask

I think the bullying refers to that shown against the OP.

bonny

Visit site

Not sure what part of the original post was valid but as you seem to be quoting my answers then I'll explain my reasoning....for a start non of us know if the mare is suffering or not as we haven't seen her, she's by a public road so presumably seen by others, has no one reported her ? She has a caring owner, it's not for us to judge if she's better of dead, I think that question can only be answered by the owner and they have seen fit to let her live, who know's how long ? If anyone who see's her disagrees with that then they can report her but as far as we know that hasn't happened. All we are really doing is talking about an imaginary scenario as we don't know anyone concerned hence I don't think starting a post about someone else's horse is at best in poor taste and certainly isn't doing anything to help the mare, if indeed she does need any help !

Fun Times

Visit site
Flirtygerty, I don't think anyone has argued that nothing should be done about the mare. People have just questionned the use of this thread as the best way of carry OP's message to the owner.

Eta that i would reiterate the point i made several posts back that if anyone has been "attacked" in my view its the owner. Its one thing to be the subject of neglect proceedings brought by a relevant authority, quite another to have random strangers "yell" at you on the internet to please have your horse pts.

Last edited:

AmandaMT

Visit site
Flirtygerty, I don't think anyone has argued that nothing should be done about the mare. People have just questionned the use of this thread as the best way of carrying OP's message to the owner.

If I could find a like button I would click it for this post.