people who have no idea what their pieces of tack do. RANT

Kat

Visit site
I agree when it comes to bits, nosebands, schooling aids (and to some extent martingales) but if someone wants to buy a breastplate because it looks good then it doesn't affect the horse so who cares. It is then that has to faff about putting it on, taking it off and cleaning it. If it isn't needed it won't affect the horse in any way and it will simply be a very expensive neckstrap, and really the point of a breastplate isn't to stop a saddle that slips from slipping, it is to guard against a well fitting saddle slipping in extreme circumstances, that is why many people use them just for xc or hunting but never for other activities, if the saddle slips then it wants refitting.

If it won't make a difference to the horse it doesn't matter so people can spend all their money on breastplates, breast girths, cruppers, boots, numnahs, fly veils, etc etc etc and I couldn't give a nark. It only matters if they are using equipment that will affect the horse if it is used when not required or if they are using something in such as way that affects the horse detrimentally, so I would hate to see someone changing bit just for fashion or putting on a noseband that isn't required or a martingale that is poorly adjusted, or bandages that are badly applied.

SGCR

Visit site
I dont condone useing breast plates i have one and i think some people have taking what i said the wrong way, or my wording maybe the problem, :/ my bad.
And no im not saying there a fad i was talking more about the new contraptions they bring out monthly.
Yes many eventers, endurance people dont get there saddles fitted but i can tell you many yards that do, but thats up to them.
Useing them to have a sturdier hold while jumping Or a spooky horse, or going up steep welsh hills i totally understand, i am just going on personal senario's where bad saddles are fitted with breatplates you take the saddle off and the HORSE is rubbed raw or a horse thats mouth is dripping with blood because theve put the bit in the wrong way and its severed there cheeks, i dont go along driving past horses thinking hmm do they need that lol Because like someone has said that is sad. I just wish people would think about the horses welfare. because a ill fitted saddle can do alot of damage and effect its performance. sorry if i offened anyone it wasnt intentional x

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Yup I hate the fashionistas who just buy it coz 'So and So; had it on at an event.

My mare and gelding get what they go best in, I add and take away bits and pieces depending on what we are doing at the time :)

bumblelion

Visit site
I do agree that there are a lot of gadgets out there and in some cases they are used unnecessarily. My exracer has a saddle, bridle with cavesson noseband oh and a girth sleeve! I'm sure people think when they see me ride my exracer, "god why's he in a pelham and double reins? He looks so calm!". That's why he's calm! If he wasn't in a pelham, we'd be in Timbuktu by now, either that or under a lorry! And then when he does begin to nap, "that horse needs a martingale!". Can't win and to be honest, I don't really care what people think!

BeckyD

Visit site
I completely agree with OP. I'm embarrassed that I have a 5-point breastplate. My saddle does slip back when jumping (I have pics to prove it!) so I do use a breastplate - only with my jumping saddle - and the only one that fitted him was a 5-point. Very annoying as I bought a breastplate in Derby House sale, but it didn't fit, and they wouldn't give me my money back, only offer exchange - so I tried about 5 different sorts on him, and this one fitted the closest :rolleyes: I feel like a right prat in it though - all the gear no idea!!! Plus it's a nightmare to clean :mad:

And I am currently trying out various different forms of stronger bits, as I cannot stop when doing fast work. Obviously the schooling is a key part of this and one that I work on constantly, but from a safety point of view I want to know that I can at least slow down, if not stop, when galloping out and about.

But I am proud to say that I school (and jump indoors) in a loose ring snaffle with loose cavesson noseband :D

I do like numnahs in smart colours though :D (doesn't do anyone any harm though, does it?) I don't think Bill is tooooo offended by my wardrobe choices for him (black, white and blue numnahs not exactly controversial!).

Megibo

Visit site
It's not your business what other people use on their horses...admittedly i don't agree with it IF the horse does not need it, but then how do you know the horse doesn't need it?
My mare looks sensible and sane to the passer by but 5 mins after you see her she could have spooked at a plastic wrapper in a hedge and tanked off with me across a field flybucking with her gob wide open.

When i first got my mare, she was a green just turned 6 year old and mum had not had horses a few years. I was 11. Yes, not the best combination ever however-when she came out the RS we got her from she was backwards and lazy and went with no noseband and a fulmer snaffle. two weeks later she changed totally and became a difficult so and so. Thinking it was best she was put in a flash and a three ring gag. after decent lessons and a bit of schooling she was put in a drop noseband and a snaffle and that combination works brilliantly for her. now she has a french link snaffle as it has a little bit more strength and she likes the bit. i occasionally put her back in her gag if we are going to be doing fast work on a hack or for jumping because in both instances she can get really hot and excited but i ride with soft hands anyway so it's just extra brakes should i need it. she wears a running martingale as she throws her head up if she gets excited and the neckstrap comes in handy when she spooks!

Caletto

New User
Visit site
I use a figure of 8 bridle and a slow twist snaffle, I know how they work and why they are appropriate for my horse. Although figure of 8 bridles seem to e 'the in thing' in JJ at the minute, I use it because it's what Callie is happy in, he goes nicely, no longer crossing his jaw or doing impressions of giraffes! As for the bit, it means that the majority of the time I can use light hands and not touch his mouth, but on the occasions he gets over excited or tries to take off I can correct him in a heartbeat (before softening its use again).

Kat

Visit site
My old boy (36) is still ridden in a continental snaffle on the pelham rein
:confused: :confused: eh? Do you mean a dutch gag with one rein on the bottom ring???

I totally agree, but, as a novice, if you don't have an instructor where are you meant to learn about what tacks best?
:)
Well if you are a novice it would be sensible to find an instructor, so that you can learn for the benefit of your horse. But even if you can't have lessons you can read books from the library, that was how I learnt the proper names for bits and nosebands and how they work. :) Once you understand the action of the various bits of kit you can make an informed choice.

I do think that a lot of our top riders have a lot to answer for - lots of numpties like to buy "mark todd" or "Ollie T" etc. (I was going to say a lot of kids, but know quite a few grown up people that are "monkey see, monkey want"). Obvioulsy people are going to copy them to some extent, but to actually give them something to buy just because they will is not setting a good example.

I have always wondered why a snaffle is the be all and end all bit. I'm am AI, and perfectly aware of the way it acts etc, but I still can't endorse that it is the perfect bit for every horse and that every horse should be in one. I would rather see a horse going quietly and in comfort in a harsher bit/noseband than fighting a snaffle...

On the bits I agree entirely.

However I don't think celebrity endorsed products is the problem, people would still buy things they saw their idol wearing even if there wasn't a "Mark Todd" version. That is why these fashions were around before the days of celebrity endorsed ranges. If the current "top rider" uses a certain bit of kit people do go out and buy it. Some will be copying, some might just be that awareness is increased in relation to that specific product and that items become easier to buy, some will be just that you notice it more because the "top rider" has one, some might be that it is genuinely better than the other kit. No celeb had their name on westropp petal over reach boots back in the 80s but because they were seen so much on top horses suddenly every teenage girl had to have a pair!

Must say if its not on my horse then what others choose to use isnt really my concern. Im pretty sure most of them think they need it for their own reasons.
The only thing that really gets my back up is uneducated folks with gags in their horses mouths and spurs on their boots, mainly see this on sj kids.

I think it is pretty uneducated to think that a strong bit and spurs is automatically wrong. It suggests that you think that spurs mean faster and a bit means slower which is a pretty simplistic view of the aids.

I can't see why it is a problem putting a breastplate on, it won't effect the horse what I don't like is tieing heads down/strapping mouths shut for the sake of it.

When we got D he came in a 3 ring gag on the bottom ring with a grakle on as tight as you could do it up and a very tight standing martingale (because he threw his head up dangerously). Tried him in the field and it was the bit making him throw his head. Put a loose cavesson on, a plain snaffle and a running martingale and have never looked back (I would go as far to say that overbitting him/tying his head down/ strapping mouth shut scared him :( )

I viewed a horse last year, and was slightly alarmed when they tacked up with a waterford gag, thinking oh heck what am I letting myself in for. It was pretty obvious when they showed it off that it didn't need the waterford gag or the overly short running martingale and was actually quite upset by both and was fighting them. When you dropped the contact the horse was very sweet, but showjumping fashions dictated that she wore the same tack as the others like it or not. :rolleyes:

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Im with you there.
Theres a girl at my yard and her horse wears a fly veil, tom thumb, grackle (not even fitted properly) boots and overreach boots(It doesnt overreach?), Breastplate and Jumping saddle that doesnt fit (it does have a saddle that fits!) Just because it looks "pretty"

In actual fact she looks like a nob because she takes it clear round in all its "pro" gear, and it knocks down every fence.

Though on the mark todd, ollie t comment, i really rate mark todd gear and think it looks nice and it practical and hardwearing, and i do have an ollie t jacket which is very well made and nice to ride in!

Vickijay

Visit site
Life is too short to worry about what other people are doing. I for one.....brick-wall ANYONE who thinks 'they know best'....

Let them buy what they want, and don't lose sleep over what others are doing...sure, the horse might not need it, but it's not your horse, and quite frankly, has nothing to do with you.

Am I being blunt? Of course I am, because this is the problem with the horsey world today. Too many people have too many opinions on what others are doing, THIS I think you will find....it the catalyst that causes the politics in livery yards, shows and even hacking down the road....because we ALL think we know better, and actually, about 80-odd % of us.....don't.

So enjoy your horse, and sod what other people are doing with theirs. If they are blantantly abusing their horse, then of course, you have the right to intervene and ensure said animal is kept safe. If you are worrying over a bit, then let it slide.

This ^^

Marydoll

Visit site
Sorry kristmaskat but a child booting a pony while wearing spurs and hauling it round with a big bit in its mouth IS a stop go in place and teaches nothing
The only uneducated person is sadly the one doing the kicking and pulling, and the person that put them there for the child

jokadoka

Visit site
Life is too short to worry about what other people are doing. I for one.....brick-wall ANYONE who thinks 'they know best'....

Let them buy what they want, and don't lose sleep over what others are doing...sure, the horse might not need it, but it's not your horse, and quite frankly, has nothing to do with you.

Am I being blunt? Of course I am, because this is the problem with the horsey world today. Too many people have too many opinions on what others are doing, THIS I think you will find....it the catalyst that causes the politics in livery yards, shows and even hacking down the road....because we ALL think we know better, and actually, about 80-odd % of us.....don't.

So enjoy your horse, and sod what other people are doing with theirs. If they are blantantly abusing their horse, then of course, you have the right to intervene and ensure said animal is kept safe. If you are worrying over a bit, then let it slide.

^^^^^^^^

Couldn't agree with you more!!!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Im with you there.
Theres a girl at my yard and her horse wears a fly veil, tom thumb, grackle (not even fitted properly) boots and overreach boots(It doesnt overreach?), Breastplate and Jumping saddle that doesnt fit (it does have a saddle that fits!) Just because it looks "pretty"

In actual fact she looks like a nob because she takes it clear round in all its "pro" gear, and it knocks down every fence.

Though on the mark todd, ollie t comment, i really rate mark todd gear and think it looks nice and it practical and hardwearing, and i do have an ollie t jacket which is very well made and nice to ride in!

Are you a qualified saddle-fitter? Jumping saddles CAN look like they don't fit, due to their cut..... Do you watch the horse EVERYTIME it is out? How do YOU know it 'doesn't over-reach'...it might might do it once in a blue moon and better to be protected than not at all.......? Unfortunately, it is people with your attitude that cause grief for people who are just trying to enjoy their horses. If this girl enjoys her horse, and who cares if it knocks down every jump....if she is happy doing it, leave her be and stop calling her names!

monkeybum13

Visit site
Are you a qualified saddle-fitter? Jumping saddles CAN look like they don't fit, due to their cut..... Do you watch the horse EVERYTIME it is out? How do YOU know it 'doesn't over-reach'...it might might do it once in a blue moon and better to be protected than not at all.......? Unfortunately, it is people with your attitude that cause grief for people who are just trying to enjoy their horses. If this girl enjoys her horse, and who cares if it knocks down every jump....if she is happy doing it, leave her be and stop calling her names!

Like! :D

miss_bird

Visit site
QR
I stick to as basic tack as i can no matter if i am break-in, schooling or x-country, and the only reason is i darn well hate cleaning tack so hence i use as little as possible.
Do use boots, for x-countr and bandages for schooling but they are easy just pop in the wshing machine and boots are leather so they get cleaned when tack does and thats not often.
But i have a new helper now who only wants to pop up and be near the horses and clean tack so will be all shiney and clean, still wont bother to use any extra tack though lol

Caletto

New User
Visit site
Im with you there.
My horse wears a fly veil (yes it may be green and match my saddlecloth making it look pretty, but it also serves a function, stopping his head shaking and blocking some crowd noise), figure of 8 bridle (again, it might be 'fashionable' currently, but also serves a purpose, not impeding his breathing and stopping him crossing his jaw) boots and over reach boots plus a stud girth (he may not look like he needs them because he is getting more careful, but I'm not taking the risk of him getting excited and damaging himself).
You might not think looking at us that he needs all that, but you can't judge a book by it's cover!

Solo1

Visit site
I don't understand why people take the high ground of 'I don't wear a breastplate, my horse goes perfectly in a snaffle, no martingale and no flash'. Well, that's nice. My horse goes in a cavesson and a snaffle on the flat, but I stick on a hunting breastplate with martingale and a flash for speedy work. In my experience even 'the safest' horses can throw their heads up at exciting work and a martingale can just act as an insurance policy against it. IMO I'd much rather see a horse ridden softly in a pelham than being yanked around in a snaffle, which is what I've seen some people do.

RE over-reach boots, never known my horse to over-reach but always boot for work. He's on loan and it just isn't worth risking it if he does catch himself.

Piglet

Visit site
Totally agree, I ride my little sec D x in a happy mouth loose ring straight bar snaffle and a drop noseband. :). He could be a strong horse but is too polite to be, also the stronger the bit, the more he fights and pulls. Also the drop instead of a flash as it is 1 less thing to clean!! Simples!!

Auslander

Visit site
No bit is strong when the horse is standing in the stable. I've been through some pretty funky combinations of gear with my horses. End game was always to get a nice feel put of them - I like big warmbloods cranking out loads of power from behind, yet with a barely there feel in the hand. Mine have always gone in snaffles or doubles as a rule, but I have also used Tellington Jones bits and other torturous looking contraptions for fine tuning when I felt like it. I'd prefer to give a tweak on one of those, than a heave on a snaffle.

I like strategically placed leather handles - be they neckstraps/ breastplates/martingales - I find them very helpful for preventing bucked off-age, or for hauling myself back into the saddle when early bucked off-age avoidance tactics have failed.

I'm even going to confess to running rein useage - they have their uses, including the supplementary benefit of being very useful for grabbing from the ground after an unscheduled face-first dismount from a horse who was notorious for dropping his riders and heading for home alone. We were 10 miles from home, and I had no interest in walking - so a bit of low hanging leather was a very welcome sight...

minkymoo

Visit site
I totally agree, but, as a novice, if you don't have an instructor where are you meant to learn about what tacks best?
:)

Brilliant point.

It wasn't until I had my 1st lesson with my instructor that I learnt I didn't need the martingale, flash or noseband. Off they came and the noseband only goes back on for dressage but so loose you could fit your hand under it so only for aesthetics.

What i don't understand is that even though the fundamental purpose of dressage is to show a horse's natural athletic ability and willingness to perform, the presence of a noseband should be inconsequential, but hey, what do I know?

I do use a breastplate, but only when OH uses the mountainboard so I don't think that counts!

JadeyyBabeyy

Visit site
i hate when you see people riding in too strong bits, or everything they can fit on their horses.
but i seem to be seeing more and more people using martigales on their horses that would never ever have an affect on the horse because they are sooooo loose, i dont see why you would bother??

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I recently put a breastplate on my super quiet schoolmaster who is on loan to a lovely older lady fixing her confidence. The only reason it is there is to boost her confidence, she has something to hold on to instead of his mouth is she feels nervous out hacking, she was using a stirrup leather as a neckstrap but if she did loose her balance and grab that it would twist and she would be out the side door, the breastplate is fixed so it wont move. He goes in a loose ring french link and caveson noseband and has a lovely soft mouth.

What to the op may appear to be unnecessary tack is often there for a really good reason, don't just assume that it is just there because it is the latest trend.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
i hate when you see people riding in too strong bits, or everything they can fit on their horses.
but i seem to be seeing more and more people using martigales on their horses that would never ever have an affect on the horse because they are sooooo loose, i dont see why you would bother??

How do YOU know they are too strong? How do YOU know what suits each individual horse? Is the horse looking light in the hand? Perhaps that is why the horse is wearing it? Maybe it's better the horse has a stronger bit to avoid a battle of wills with the rider?

Yet another 'expert' who thinks they have all the answers. Sorry to bust your bubble, you don't.

You would be better turning your 'hate' to something a bit more pro-active, like fighting blatant animal abuse or similar.

RunToEarth

Visit site
its annoys me when they have huge gadgets in their gob!
Mine just have simple snaffle, simple bridle, simple saddle and numnah, they both wear ww brusing boots all round and the mare wears over reach boots. The tb wears a running martingale. I have an elastic strap for the mare to stop the saddle slipping back but since changing saddle i dont need it so use it as a neck strap at the mo.

And it annoys me when people think you are the devil with anything other than a "simple snaffle" in a horse's mouth.
I don't think half the equine community understand just how harsh a snaffle can be in the wrong hands, like any other bit- there is nothing "simple" about them, if you don't know how to use it.
But then what would I know, my horse has a gob full of gadgets, although if anyone fancies hunting him in a "simple snaffle" be my guest, I will even pay your cap for the entertainment value.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but it made me chuckle when I read the post because last night I went to an unaffiliated SJ comp with a friend (I was doing the box driving, she was doing the riding). I was horrified at some of the stuff I saw. Nearly every horse ridden by anyone between the age of 16 and 30 was in a gag with a grackle noseband. BUT - hardly any of these horses were even going forwards enough - so what do the riders do? Stick their spurs in the horses sides and whack it with their stick, at the same time as pulling it in the mouth..... WTF??

I get the impression that some of these young riders watch a bit too much professional SJ on the TV, where the riders know what they're doing and why they're doing it, and try to imitate them, but with rather less finesse and with absolutely no idea of how the equipment actually affects their horse...

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but it made me chuckle when I read the post because last night I went to an unaffiliated SJ comp with a friend (I was doing the box driving, she was doing the riding). I was horrified at some of the stuff I saw. Nearly every horse ridden by anyone between the age of 16 and 30 was in a gag with a grackle noseband. BUT - hardly any of these horses were even going forwards enough - so what do the riders do? Stick their spurs in the horses sides and whack it with their stick, at the same time as pulling it in the mouth..... WTF??

I get the impression that some of these young riders watch a bit too much professional SJ on the TV, where the riders know what they're doing and why they're doing it, and try to imitate them, but with rather less finesse and with absolutely no idea of how the equipment actually affects their horse...

I would suggest you do read ALL of the replies, as some of us DON'T agree with what the OP said, and perhaps could give you a broader vision on 'the problem'.....?