Personal question - what underwear do you ride in?

pip6

Visit site
Less bounce sell great bras for all sizes, swear by them, shock absorber so comfy. Use riding tights rather than jods, reason why endurance riders wear them.

ecb89

Visit site
I wear the shock absorber run bras and they hardly move which is great considering I'm very busty!

I watched my friend do pretty muddy for cancer the other day and was shocked by the amount of women who were wearing normal, and in most cases, badly fitting bras. I think because I've always been big that I've taken care and worn supportive bras

HeresHoping

Visit site
Another commando rider here :blush: - but never had a chafe incident. I've made the recommendation to a lady on our yard who has had chemo and which has left her rather vulnerable in places. It has been a revelation for her. Although she was very embarrassed at first. And Aldi's own sports bras. But I'm not overly endowed up top.

Daytona

Visit site
Just normal stuff for me, and defo no jeans. I don't think I've ever had that issue but sounds sore , hope you find a solution

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Back in my dim and distant past, when i worked with eventers (4 hours per day in the saddle minimum), I was told by a very wise woman (WFP's mum), that udder cream was the best thing to prevent saddle sores, and to heal them if you got them). She was absolutely right.
I am however, still traumatised by the memory of walking into the tack room to find her standing there with breeches and pants round her ankles, anointing herself with said magic substance.

OMG!!

diamonddogs

Visit site
I've got fat thighs that rub at the top so I get sore even walking around in jods!

The best thing I've ever had was a base layer cycling set from Aldi - the pants are quite long and don't roll up but they're nice and stretchy and don't give you a VPL. The top is quite supportive as well, but I wear a heavy duty sport bra under it anyway.

four inches

Visit site
I am a commando rider as well :)( blushing ) but then I'm a chap so maybe that makes a difference? I wear tight fitting breeches and found wearing boxers underneath was uncomfortable.

Apologies if this is a ladies only thread.

Tern

Visit site
I am a commando rider as well :)( blushing ) but then I'm a chap so maybe that makes a difference? I wear tight fitting breeches and found wearing boxers underneath was uncomfortable.

Apologies if this is a ladies only thread.

Ohhh jesus... I was on main 'Tack Room' bit and saw your name and had a dirty thought pop into my head... Now your a man that makes me think that your name is an Innuendo on purpose... ;)

four inches

Visit site
Ohhh jesus... I was on main 'Tack Room' bit and saw your name and had a dirty thought pop into my head... Now your a man that makes me think that your name is an Innuendo on purpose... ;)

Sorry not sure what you mean? Isn't 4 inches the definition of a "hand" used for measuring the height of horses?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm another that's never had this issue. I wear bog standard M&S or primark cotton bikini style pants. Not the sexiest underwear but cheap and comfy :)

dibbin

Visit site
I just wear whatever pants I had on that day (although if I know I'll be riding I do pick comfy ones when I'm getting dressed in the morning) and a Shock Absorber sports bra. I'm quite chesty and it makes a BIG difference!

NorthDevonTraveller

Visit site
I have found things have got much worse as I have got older :( . I have a hollow back, ie I stick my bum out, so tend to ride on the 'front' with painful results. Tucking my backside in helps, but I always end up with it stuck out again. Seam free cotton knickers, with padded riding knickers on top. Definately no lace or G strings, caused much too much damage! Also found with age that lack of 'natural lubrication' means crotch can rub like sandpaper - so have resorted to a dab of purchased lubrication ;). It really makes a difference! Not so different to Mrs F-P I guess. Schooling fine as moving in various directions, but hacking mainly at walk - ow! Certainly know people who ride in cycling knickers - think I will have to investigate running/cycling shops. Trouble is that you get more and more damage if you can't sort it. As a kid used to ride in lacy knickers and jeans - don't know how I did it!

MissJessica

Visit site
I don't ever suffer with sores or discomfort, thankfully but as I rule I always ride in comfortable cotton pants (at the risk of sounding like a grandma they're from M&S, but look attractive, black cotton with lace). I never ride in a thong, other friends do and don't experience discomfort but I choose not to.

Voxhorse

Visit site
Derriere Equestrian,

They have researched for the most comfy of underwear for riders, Not tried them though :)

Last edited:

Polos

Visit site
I wear cheap full lace knickers from primark (my mum calls them my slut knickers haha-but I only ever wear them riding!)

They are the comfiest things ever because there is no seams anywhere and they don't leave a vpl!

Mrs G

Visit site
Im glad this thread has reappeared to remind me I'm not alone with the problem of 'the chafe'. I appreciate some of the solutions offered but one I won't be trying is the 'go commando' - its not just me that gets rubbed - my jods nearly all end up with holes in the crotch so that combined with no pants doesn't bear thinking about!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Primark seamless knickers and M&S total support non-wired bra. Though I've just discovered Tesco do the same bra for a third of the price!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I don't find anything 100% comfortable but normal cotton high-leg type knickers seem to be the best so far. I was riding a trail in Sicily a few weeks ago with 9 hours in the saddle some days and I tested out all sorts of undies!

just john

Visit site
As a guy who used to work and ride in all weathers I was looking for something that worked both dry and wet. Bring soaked by 9 am and not finishing work until after 6pm it was important.
I ended up using Speedo type swim briefs.
They retain their shape. The dry quickly.
They do not ride up.
I found cotton briefs slow to dry and when wet especially the lose their shape.

ceva

Visit site
Hi I wear the equetech dressage briefs, they are brilliant one pair is padded both front and back, the other pairs just at the back, perfect for hours in the saddle and fit lovely. £14 but worth it.