Physio?

JBM

Visit site
My physio suggested once a year or every 6 months for my 21 year old in light work just depending on how she feels. I’m probably going to keep it every 6 months but a younger horse in light work maybe once a year? A horse in more work could be anything like every 3 months.
I pay €50 a session and includes laser treatment. Gives a discount if you buy 5 or 10 sessions in a bundle.
Ireland up in the north but not Northern Ireland (northern Ireland use sterling)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My last horse was fairly regular due to neck problems. The newer one is *pretty issue free
He’s 9 and in light work so I’m going to go every 6 months.
I pay about £45 but not sure if that’s her normal fee.

Visit site
Probably around twice per year and it’s £50 per time which includes laser treatment if needed.

Last edited:

ponynutz

Visit site
Mine have never. And I only would if it was needed. Can see it being needed more for competition horses though.

jenni999

Visit site
Mine is done every 3 months (tightness in lumbar) and I pay £60 for a NAVP qualified physio. Worth every penny.....

wiglet

Visit site
Not physio - my horse has a massage every 6 months, it's more a feel good treatment but if any sore areas flag up, I get physio out.
Physio is £70. Massage is £45.

Reactions: JBM

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Not physio - my horse has a massage every 6 months, it's more a feel good treatment but if any sore areas flag up, I get physio out.
Physio is £70. Massage is £45.
Ah interesting- Alot of people tell me Physio is the only thing you can do. Very interesting, thank you!

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Mine have never. And I only would if it was needed. Can see it being needed more for competition horses though.
Yeah I see what you mean! I am curious, I apologies if I come off rude or invasive, but do you just stay at home and do light work or do you have an alternate?again, physio or massages or chiropractor for horses.. or humans! Is where my knowledge is slim haha ???

Last edited:

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Really depends on the horse and what the physio advises. Mine see her every six months unless I'm worried about something. She suggested every 9 months but I would rather keep on top of things. A friends horse has her every six weeks. Cost is £55.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Really depends on the horse and what the physio advises..
this.
some leisure horses with low workloads can still develop sore areas and tight bits that can benefit from attention. I know a little horse who gets 3 monthly appointments and "only" hacks.
Conversely my welsh who was training all the GP dressage work never seemed to need any treatment, I did get her an appointment now and then but there was rarely anything to actively treat so it was just a once-over for her.

you can't predict it and should be led by the professionals i think unless you are skilled enough to examine your horse yourself.

Current ride was seen recently and 6 monthly appointments were suggested, unless anything changes between now and then. i think that's pretty standard as a sense check.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
My horse is addressing some issues in foot balance and muscle development.

He also works quite hard – galloping / long fast hackings / a fair bit of travelling / starting endurance rides / dressage competitions etc. which is a bit of a change for him (though slowly introduced over 15 months).

We have also had some saddle fitting issues causing soreness.

He is also a very sensitive ginger giant pony!

I tend to schedule

• Chiropractor every 3 months

• Physio every 3 months can be more frequent if something going on / reactive

• and sports massage every 3 months – more to address sore / tight muscles from travelling long distances / working hard.

So he typically sees someone on a monthly basis and I cry over the expenditure!!

But I would say IMO it isn’t really the cost or the qualifications, but how good the practitioner you use is. Some are great, and some are not, and if you find a really good one, the medium matters less.

foxy1

Visit site
Not physio, but sports massage.

There is so much you can do daily as an owner. I like to use the masterson method daily, where I work on the areas I know are tight, and then a really good all over session once a week.

Goldenstar

Visit site
At the moment mine who are working are being seen monthly by the physio sometimes it’s a little longer it depends on her schedule .

scats

Visit site
Vet Chiro every 3 months for them both, regardless of what work they are doing. If they don’t need much doing, that’s great, but it’s peace of mind for me and they get a full once over and lameness check both on the straight and lunge. It’s like an MOT and helps me identify niggles. Even when out of work, they still see the vet Chiro. She isn’t cheap (just gone to over £100 per horse) but worth every penny.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
For the youngsters, just before they are backed, normally after the saddle fitter has been.

Then, once / twice a year again alongside saddle fitter due.

Price around £60-70 but worth every penny.

ETA: will get physio out if I suspect a niggly issue, anytime.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
My in work horse once a year unless there's an issue. My young retired horse - every 3 months as she gets tight in shoulders for compensating for sore hip.
Price just above £60

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Physio every 8-12 weeks £60
Chiro every 8-12 weeks £55 cornwall

very sensitive chestnut with various issues, she loves her treatments and always feels at her best when treated regularly.
I generally need more treatments when she is out of work as she acts crazed in the field and injures herself . When in full work field time is relaxing time .

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Yeah I see what you mean! I am curious, I apologies if I come off rude or invasive, but do you just stay at home and do light work or do you have an alternate?again, physio or massages or chiropractor for horses.. or humans! Is where my knowledge is slim haha ???
Mine has chiropractor every two months, £75 a go.
I don't use physios much as mine has a rotated pelvis which needs chiropractic work. I've occasionally used a physio though who does massage.
Mine is just a leisure horse but his needs to be comfortable and well are as important as the needs of a competition horse.