Piggies

Esmae

Visit site
Aawww they are really cute. I haven't had piggies for years. (getting broody here) When I had them they shared water bottles and feed bowls etc. Made sure they had veggies each day and then mix and hay. They are highly nervous critturs until they know you. Mine used to shriek the place down when I came home from shopping! They were convinced any shopping was for them. My oldest one (I had him until he was 11 years old) used to climb into my hands for cuddles and for grooming. Have fun with them, they look gorgeous.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I used paper and shavings on the bottom of the cage then on the top ledge I had folded fleece blankets which they love, I just washed those in the machine.

Mine loved kale peppers carrots grapes and they loved the mint and lavender in the garden, if you have a patch of grass they love just sitting in the sun just make sure they have some shade.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Esmae it is really bizarre being able to bring shopping in, make a sandwich etc without a peep. I suspect I should appreciate it while it lasts!

julesjoy

Visit site
photo.php
Here's the other side of the white faced one.
Lovely that so many of you have piggies and glad to hear that nervousness is normal!

Courbette

Visit site
Poor things are utterly terrified. Refused to eat any veg or even move whilst I'm sat near the cage. This is gonna take time.

Sorry, more silly questions : for 2 piggies do I need 2 water bottles, 2 feed bowls and 2 hideys? Or can they share?

Also, someone said Guinea pig sized water bottle - I got a 600ml one but they're not drinking a lot, is that big enough?

The last small pets I had were a couple of mice and some hamsters 20 years ago (I feel old!)!

They still need names, suggestions welcome.

They can have 1 bottle and one bowl (as long as one pig isn't dominant and stopping the other accessing food and water). In the pic I think you have the hamster sixed bottle, the next one up is the guinea pig / rabbit one. On a hot day it is surprising how much they will drink. They probably aren't drinking a lot at the moment if they are stressed but veg like cucumber will help keep them hydrated. I think two places to hide are better for variety but also so each piggy has their own place to escape too if needed. They will gradually feel more secure but their eyes are positioned to spot predators from above so any sudden movements motion can startle them. It takes time but they will come around, when they settle a bit more you can start holding them on your knee. Try and do this in a secure room for the first few times incase they get away from you. I always block off anywhere I wouldn't want them to go like under furniture etc. They can sit still and then suddenly bolt so be cautious until they are more tame.

If you have somewhere for them to exercise with a hard floor like paving stones that will help keep their claws in good shape or you will need to trim occasionally. They shouldn't need any coat maintence tho other than the occasional bit of shavings picking out.

julesjoy

Visit site
Brilliant, thank you for more advice. I'll bear the nails in mind, hated clipping the hamsters! Their new big cage has arrived so I need to pick them up to move them later, hopefully they won't bite lol.

Courbette

Visit site
Brilliant, thank you for more advice. I'll bear the nails in mind, hated clipping the hamsters! Their new big cage has arrived so I need to pick them up to move them later, hopefully they won't bite lol.

If you can guide them in to the cardboard tube (if they fit) and place a hand over each end to lift them a pig at a time that can be an easy way to move them. Good news is they rarely bite so I wouldn't worry too much although never say never :)

ester

Visit site
Solar would air snap when I was dealing with her infected cyst(s) which were very sore but even then she would try not to get you/just chew the towel.

Both her and lunar were trained to jump into a small travel box (lunar did not like being caught and very fast, fine once you had her), I didn't quite realise how good they were at it until I had Eclipse on loan to be a companion.
I agree with the cardboard tube trick though :) have been using that with the smallest newbie.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Please keep the pics, videos and discussions about squeaky pigs coming in :). Piggies are the perfect pets in these weird times, but not all of us have piggies of our own to cherish*, so we rely on others to fill the gap, pretty please :D.

*Me because they would be incompatible with my serial JRT owning habit.

scats

Visit site
My boys can still be very nervous and I’ve had them since last June. They used to leg it and hide whenever they saw me, but I just let them gradually get used to me and never forced the issue with them. It didn’t take them long to realise that the human provides the yummy food and veg!
Keaton is the braver of my two. He comes over and sticks his head up for a chin tickle every morning. Murray is more inclined to stay behind. Once you pick them up, both boys are equally loving and snuggle in and enjoy a stroke, but a lot of piggies dislike being picked up. If you go for them from above they tend to panic as that’s how a bird would swoop and pick them up. If you can teach them to climb into a box, that’s your best bet for picking them up.

Mine have two water bottles and a double food dish for their nuggets. They have a cat litter tray that I fill with hay for them and they both love climbing in that to eat. They get their veg in a communal corner dish, which is large enough for them to both eat out of comfortably. At first, however, I used give them separate veg dishes as Murray would hang back a bit and Keaton would eat everything, but Murray found his confidence and now they happily munch veg together.

twiggy2

Visit site
If you can guide them in to the cardboard tube (if they fit) and place a hand over each end to lift them a pig at a time that can be an easy way to move them. Good news is they rarely bite so I wouldn't worry too much although never say never :)
A Guinea pig bite put a vet nurse I used to work with in hospital for 3 or 4 days, due to infection he was on intravenous antibiotics, it took him a long time to live that one down.

ester

Visit site
FB are getting daily piggie vids, mostly because I'm trying to keep my sister in Malaysia a little bit sane. I'll see if I can get more of them on youtube TP.
Brave enough to kick off zoomies as soon as they came into the lounge tonight!
Getting them to sit for a photo is more complicated.

I have remembered the issue with corrugated tube, the poo gets stuck in the dips!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when i had pigs i made an upstairs as well from mdf. i was quite pleased with it and i made a ladder with sides so they didnt fall off. it wasnt too difficult to make and they seemed to love it, both taking turns to have the upstairs bedroom...wish i had taken photos of it now

julesjoy

Visit site
That's a great idea, I like a bit of DIY :) Ive read they aren't natural climbers, is that why the sides to the ramp?

julesjoy

Visit site
Carpet - that leads me to ask - do they wee/poo as they go along, or can they control those functions to a certain extent and are more likely to have toilet areas?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
That's a great idea, I like a bit of DIY :) Ive read they aren't natural climbers, is that why the sides to the ramp?

i put small pieces of wood across to sort of make grips so they didnt slide down and i put a side on in case they both went up and down at the same time and one could have fallen off because my ramp was only wide enough for one. one side of the ramp was next to the cage side so only needed to protect one side. good luck, let us see it once you are done. i did check my pics last night but couldnt find one that showed it....

ester

Visit site
They don't control it much,
I do carpet all my ramps, full width as for the outside one solar was spreading her legs and still slipping down when I did patches to keep the wooden grips. My low one doesn't have sides (that was a newer addition when old girl was struggling with what was there before but the castle came with them) but anything higher I would want them, it gives them confidence too.
This is my indoor, the waterproof material on the back stops the paint work getting marked.
89939176_10163243796105438_463942702321369088_n.jpg

scats

Visit site
Carpet - that leads me to ask - do they wee/poo as they go along, or can they control those functions to a certain extent and are more likely to have toilet areas?

They tend to poop and pee where they eat, weirdly. You’ll find food areas get very wet and full of droppings. It’s amazing how much poop Guineas pigs produce.
I’ve never successfully litter trained a piggie, despite numerous attempts!

julesjoy

Visit site
They seem much more content in their new cage. They've drunk more and eaten more than in the previous cage, and were peering at me from in the fleece hidey when I tidied up. Then.... drumroll.... the brown faced bolder one stuck its head out of the hidey to watch me out the food in (fresh and pellets)!!!

ester

Visit site
brilliant :)
We may have a surplus of apple and pansy hearts. Old pigs loved them so I have quite a big stock... current two haven't even given them a lick lol!

julesjoy

Visit site
What on earth are apple and pansy hearts?

Thank you for everyone's advice and photos of piggies and setups by the way, much appreciated :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I love these imaginative cage designs, and it’s clear that the piggies do too (once they’ve sussed them out). My childhood piggies had to make do with a rabbit hutch with the addition of a chicken wire run when they were outside.

Hamsters got fancier houses with different levels and runs back then, but not piggies.

ester

Visit site
Our piggie lived with a rabbit....
we also had this ridiculously heaving metal out door run thing that due to its weight only came out on special occasions!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Rabbits and piggies used to commonly live together in my time, though I didn’t have a bunny so I didn’t mix them. I don’t remember it being ‘a thing‘ that it wasn’t good practice, but I just googled it and looks like it’s very much frowned on now *reads RSPCA guidance*.