Piggies

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ooh my old girls used to love melon rinds. Current ones have decided they are really not into brocolli but did rather enjoy the corn on the cob.
I'm leaving my friend in charge over the weekend and have told them they have to be on best behaviour. . .

julesjoy

Visit site
So I've moved them back onto fleece, which is working OK at the moment, being changed every other day, but might work less well in the winter. Much less messy in the hutch. One had an impaction a few weeks back, which was a bit shocking for a first timer! So, to my questions :

I have loads of herbs and they love parsley, mint and fennel, but I can't find anywhere if they are allowed chives. Does anyone know?

Also, snails! They live in a hutch in the garden, and in recent damp weather I've found a snail or two in the hutch. I'm slightly concerned they'll be overrun in the winter. What can I do to prevent this?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i wouldnt think chives would be good as they are onions . i kept my piggies indoors all year round as they dont like extremes of temperature...it would be better to have their hutch in a shed so they have some protection from the weather. can they not live indoors, they are such fun and nice to interact with and its a shame to leave them outside with no company..

julesjoy

Visit site
Ah yes, that is a good point on the chives, thank you!

I've done a small experiment with a max/min thermometer in the recent heatwave, and my house is less than half a degree cooler than the hidey in the run in the shade, surprisingly! Also, my house is tiny, so there is both little space indoors but we spend most of our time in the garden at the moment. They are right outside the kitchen window and have mastered looking cute for more food when they hear us! A house hunt is on so hopefully this will change just don't know when yet.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Ah yes, that is a good point on the chives, thank you!

I've done a small experiment with a max/min thermometer in the recent heatwave, and my house is less than half a degree cooler than the hidey in the run in the shade, surprisingly! Also, my house is tiny, so there is both little space indoors but we spend most of our time in the garden at the moment. They are right outside the kitchen window and have mastered looking cute for more food when they hear us! A house hunt is on so hopefully this will change just don't know when yet.

my cottage is also tiny, a cage can be on a small table, mine was in the living room and they used to watch the tv:) and every time i went to the fridge they called out, lovely little girls. if you are still in your house in the winter, you could get a small shed so they are insulated against the cold weather. good luck with finding a new house

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
SG when I first got my previous girls I was in a small annexe with a 32 seater sofa in a very small kitchen. I decided I didn’t really need the small table to put anything on did I ?.