Poppet: A horrid story be ready

AshTay

Visit site
First of all - what a horrendous thing to do to a living creature and well done for those involved in the rescue.

But looking at it from the RSPCA's perspective - they get a call about a colt in poor condition who was ALLEGEDLY found dumped but is now in the care of a member of the public. They don't know for sure that this person wasn't originally responsible for the colt getting like this. So they can either believe the person and take on the colt or they can not believe the person and prosecute them for seemingly allowing the colt to get into that state. As it was, they didn't prosecute (because they're not stupid and could see this was all genuine) but they did fund some treatment.

If they didn't have rules and guidelines to adhere to in cases like this they could be exploited when they are called to a genuine case of neglect by the owner if the owner then decides to weave a web of lies about where the horse was when it got into that state ("No officer, I found him dumped out on the bridleway like this and I bought him here").

Another poiint is - they've got a member of the public who has taken the colt in and started vet treatment and appears to be able to fund this. They're a charity and as such have other colts lining up to have vet treatment paid for.

I don't like it when threads turn into RSPCA-bashing when the information is passed through chinese-whispers-style from a friend of a friend and the original words of those involved gets distorted and taken out of context.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
but I don't think they did start vet treatment until the inspector agreed?

And am sure most people would have people able to corroborate whether they had previously owned said animal or not.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Someone I knew found an hopelessly sick cat in her garden and rang the RSPCA who told her to leave it to die. So she took it to the vet and had it put down at her own expense. :(

AshTay

Visit site
Someone I knew found an hopelessly sick cat in her garden and rang the RSPCA who told her to leave it to die. So she took it to the vet and had it put down at her own expense. :(

See this is the kind of thing I was talking about. We either believe that an inspector laughed maniacally down the phone and said "let it die" or we believe that much has been lost in the re-telling of the story and we're only hearing half the story.

windand rain

Visit site
See this is the kind of thing I was talking about. We either believe that an inspector laughed maniacally down the phone and said "let it die" or we believe that much has been lost in the re-telling of the story and we're only hearing half the story.
True but the stories that seem to point to carelessness at best by the RSPCA far out weigh any good points made about them Re dying cat I could substitute dying dog for all the response I got was call the dog warden at 5.55 on a friday night I think not and I did the responsible thing and took it to the vet and had it put to sleep. It was thrown out of a moving car and left to die. Fortunately my vet knew it wasnt mine and used PDSA money for the drugs and gave his time and disposal for free

AshTay

Visit site
yup but in this case dramatic effect wasn't added by the poster/as an effect of chinese whispers.

OK, I was only trying to prove a point. To me "rang the RSPCA who told her to leave it to die" sounds harsh and uncaring and that was the point i was trying to make.

(But it also proves my point too - if I was to relay the story to someone else, my impression of the original post (about the cat) was such that I might say "I heard of someone who knew someone who rang the RSPCA who didn't care at all and just said "let it die"". Which is only one step away from true villainy in my eyes).

It's like the other post about Humphrey. First of all it was the evil SPCA snatching the much loved much posed-with-in-youtube-vids big pet of a little girl for no reason. Ultimately it seemed to emerge that this big pet was painfully thin and made to go on a 5 hour ride along with another painfully thin horse who was also ragged round a ride and so the inspectors took all/both horses that they had genuine concerns about at the time. I don't know the full story - that is just my perspective from what I read on here so until I know all the facts I won't pass judgement on whether what was done by the SSPCA was right or wrong.

Anyway, leave it there. I made my point whether or not anyone agrees with me.

Visit site
Poppet has shown really surprising progress so far. He is safe, feed and loved - I truly believe my love In action will make a difference to him (irrelevant of the vet bill)! We all care - I'm just one for showing it. Together we all make a difference ... There is always another Poppet - my thanks goes to brownbread horse rescue, who have offered advice, any donations pleased send to them - we could help the 'bigger picture' too!!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Poor Poppet. But does anyone else think it is odd that a dumped youngster is clearly not frightened of strangers and is well handled? If he is a product of the do-as-you-likeys, in my experience, they are virtually wild.

JosieB

Visit site
If you look on dragon driving you will see yearlings etc ridden and driven so some of the ''people you refer to'' do handle their youngsters alot,

Joeb21

Visit site
Once you take the equine onto your own land, you will be held responsible for the costs & liabilities :( (even the police will usually not be helpful as said animal is now in a safe place).

To anyone else - create firm mayhem on the phone if you are ever in this situation, keep the equine in the public place where it was found, give 1st aid & comfort (rug/bedding etc) where it is & keep on going bat-shyte on the phone :(

OP - hope your friend is able to resolve this. (and well done her & you guys)

I did tell piggy & friends Mum this on the night they moved him that they would be liable to the costs and really should have left him there with some hay/ water until a rescue could come out , also gave them a number of a rescue and also told them to contact WHW. But can understand why they took him as he is in a very bad way ,Emaciated ! Skin and bone swelling on all 4 legs and fluid on the chest and his nose is so bad almost looks like someone has set firer too it and dread to think about how much worm damage there could be and with all these problems he does still have a little spark in the eye's bless him , but this is gonna be a long and costly journey to get him back to full health .

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I do hope Poppet makes a full recovery. It sounds like he is in good hands.

As for the RSPCA - it clearly wouldn't make a good story for them as they would be unlikely to be able to bring any prosecution as it would be pretty impossible to find the person who dumped the pony, therefore no good publicity for them. I used to do a lot of money raising for the RSPCA when I was a lot younger, doing sponsored events. Nowadays I wouldn't give them a penny - a couple of incidents destroyed my faith in them as a charity.

Armas

Visit site
How anyone could do this to an animal i will never know :mad:

This ^^^

Well done for caring enough to help this poor young horses, people like you make me a little less despairing for the human race.

As for the RSPCA and the way they have behaved in this case, shame on them. It's all very well for them to have paid for the initial vet's fees, but, as anyone who has rescued a horse will know, this is just the tip of the iceberg and passing the buck onto a kind hearted member of the public is NOT what they are supposed to be about.

Am actually disgusted :(

And this ^^^

RSPCA waste of space yet again.

Moomin1

Visit site
I do hope Poppet makes a full recovery. It sounds like he is in good hands.

As for the RSPCA - it clearly wouldn't make a good story for them as they would be unlikely to be able to bring any prosecution as it would be pretty impossible to find the person who dumped the pony, therefore no good publicity for them. I used to do a lot of money raising for the RSPCA when I was a lot younger, doing sponsored events. Nowadays I wouldn't give them a penny - a couple of incidents destroyed my faith in them as a charity.

The RSPCA take in hundreds and hundreds of all kinds of animals in every single day, which are not subject, or never will be subject to any prosecution or publicity stunt. In actual fact, the main problem with the RSPCA is that they DON'T put enough out into the public eye, hence the reason why all the rumours and incorrect stories fly around. The RSPCA need to stand up and correct people more often, and show a little more of what actually goes on daily.

OP, I take it another charity such as BHS, WHW or Redwings are now going to take on full responsibility for Poppet?

Kenzo

Visit site
Absolute disgrace, how awful for you and your friend, would the RSPCA prefer the public to turn a blind eye and let the poor animal dye a very slow and painful death and left to rot!...makes you wonder!

Adopter

Visit site
Thanks for update on poppets condition.
Do hope he continues to improve.
It is so sad that we are reading so often about these terrible situations that colts and foals are found in
One nice piece of news on Redwings site today is that the 2day old foal dumped in a river in London is making
progress. Thank goodness their are people prepared to help these colts.
Well done OP and friends for getting involved and caring.

Murphy88

Visit site

Unfortunately, from a vets point of view I can think of several instances where things like this do happen with RSPCA. We have a couple of very good inspectors who work with my practice, they are very good at their jobs and go out of their way to help animals, however the problem seems to stem from higher up the food chain. I can think of several occasions where we have had people ring about stray or injured animals (both pet and wild) they have found, RSPCA told them just to drop the animals in with us. A few months ago we had a man drop a swan off, because the RSPCA told him we would look after it for weekend - now, who in their right mind thinks a small metal cage surrounded by dogs is an appropriate environment for a wild animal. In the end I spent a long time on the phone to someone at the RSPCA and said that we simply could not keep it, we did not have the facilities.
Likewise, a colleague of mine got called out at 11pm to pick up a ferret that had been found by a member of public. The RSPCA told them to ring us. These people weren't our clients, the ferret wasn't badly injured, but we were expected to send someone out to pick up and then hospitalise an animal, the people who found it weren't going to pay an expensive emergency call out, but neither were the RSPCA.
Then a few weeks ago, my friend and I passed a horse in a field on opposite side of motorway while we were driving, that was non-weight bearing lame in a hindlimb, and looked to be in some distress. Neither of the inspectors we work with were on call that weekend, but we left them answerphone messages and then called the main RSPCA number and asked that someone go out to check this horse and try to locate the owners. Our local inspector called back about 5 hours later having just got the message we left him - he had checked with the inspectors on call that weekend and HQ hadn't bothered telling anyone about this horse, so he went out on his weekend off to find it and locate owners to get it vet treatment.